Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Trump: "Making Daylight Saving Time Permanent Is O.K. With Me!"

Thumbs up Trump: "Making Daylight Saving Time Permanent Is O.K. With Me!"

President Trump has come out in support of a radical policy change that would likely find favor among millions of exhausted Americans: Making Daylight Saving Time permanent.
    Support for ditching Daylight Saving Time (Saving not Savings) has been gaining popularity in recent years, as studies have shown that it's not helpful for farmers and doesn't conserve energy (which is why many Americans believe we use it), prompting many to wonder why we use it in the first place (the US adopted across the country after World War II). Studies have also shown that the shift leads to an increase in car accidents, heart attacks and strokes also climb, according to the Chicago Tribune.
    But staying on DST would have the same result: avoiding the annoying time shifts. Wall Street traders would no doubt appreciate the extra hour of overlap with London markets that would accompany making DST permanent.
    Making Daylight Saving Time permanent is O.K. with me!
    — Donald J. Trump (@realDonaldTrump) March 11, 2019
    Trump's tweet follows a story in the New York Times, published last week, that proposes making this time change our last. Lawmakers in California have proposed making Daylight Saving permanent.
    Compelled by the augustly named federal Uniform Time Act of 1966, most Americans will leap ahead - or stumble blearily - from one configuration of the clock to another this weekend, as daylight saving time clicks in at 2 a.m. Sunday.
    But many people are saying it’s time for time to be left alone. State legislatures from New England to the West Coast are considering proposals to end the leaping, clock-shifting confusion of hours lost or gained, and the conundrums it can create.
    According to the NYT, due to a quirk in a 1966 law, states can vote to remain on standard time all year, but they would need approval from Congress to, as Trump advocated, make Daylight Saving Time permanent. This is why the states of Hawaii and Arizona were able to opt out of Daylight Saving.

More at: https://www.zerohedge.com/news/2019-...ermanent-ok-me
    Never attempt to teach a pig to sing; it wastes your time and annoys the pig.

Robert Heinlein

Give a man an inch and right away he thinks he's a ruler

Groucho Marx

I love mankind…it’s people I can’t stand.

Linus, from the Peanuts comic

You cannot have liberty without morality and morality without faith

Alexis de Torqueville

Those who fail to learn from the past are condemned to repeat it.
    Those who learn from the past are condemned to watch everybody else repeat it

A Zero Hedge comment

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    California (and Washington) passed a referendum (with 60% in favor) to keep Daylight Savings Time year round in the 2018 elections. It still needs 2/3rd approval in the State Legislature as well as permission via Congressional approval and a Presidential signature on that bill.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/...st/3102444002/

PALM SPRINGS, Calif. — On Sunday morning at 2 a.m., California clocks sprang forward one hour, making the sunrise and sunset times come later each day.

Assembly member Kansen Chu, D-San Jose, hopes it’ll be California’s last clock change. Since 2017, he's pushed to keep California permanently on daylight saving time, which he believes will benefit public health and safety.

Chu's aim received a boost in the 2018 midterm election, when a ballot initiative that proposed authorizing the state legislature to reform daylight saving time passed with 60 percent voter approval.

After the November passage of Proposition 7, California legislators can now vote to keep California permanently on daylight saving time. The policy change will require two-thirds approval in the legislature, then passage in Congress and a presidential signature.

“I’m keeping my fingers crossed to hopefully be able not to switch back our clocks anymore,” Chu said.

A month after the election, Chu introduced Assembly Bill 7, which proposes keeping California on daylight saving time year-round.
    Chu said he's confident the bill will pass the legislature with bipartisan support and two-thirds approval.

“It’s going through the process and will hopefully have its first hearing hopefully toward the end of the month,” Chu said.

If the bill passes, California will join Florida, whose legislature passed a similar bill to implement daylight saving time year-round and which now awaits permission from the federal government. After the Florida lawmakers decided to adopt year-round daylight saving time, Sen. Marco Rubio, R-FL, introduced the Sunshine Protection Act of 2018 to grant the state approval to stay on daylight saving time year-round.

Sounds good to me. I’m relieved Trump is OK with it.
    "Foreign aid is taking money from the poor people of a rich country, and giving it to the rich people of a poor country." - Ron Paul
    "Beware the Military-Industrial-Financial-Pharma-Corporate-Internet-Media-Government Complex." - B4L update of General Dwight D. Eisenhower
    "Debt is the drug, Wall St. Banksters are the dealers, and politicians are the addicts." - B4L
    "Totally free immigration? I've never taken that position. I believe in national sovereignty." - Ron Paul

Proponent of real science.
    The views and opinions expressed here are solely my own, and do not represent this forum or any other entities or persons.

I can agree with that. At least the people in Arizona aren't affected by it.
    "Perhaps one of the most important accomplishments of my administration is minding my own business."

Calvin Coolidge

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

We heard this before, how hard can this be.

H.R.1556 - To make daylight savings time permanent, and for other purposes.
    https://www.congress.gov/bill/116th-...ouse-bill/1556
    Rep. Buchanan, Vern [R-FL-16] (Introduced 03/06/2019) Cosponsors: (1)

H.R.1601 - To allow States to elect to observe daylight savings time for the duration of the year, and for other purposes.
    https://www.congress.gov/bill/116th-...ouse-bill/1601
    Rep. Bishop, Rob [R-UT-1] (Introduced 03/07/2019)

Senate - Rubio this year.

S.670 - A bill to make daylight savings time permanent, and for other purposes.
    https://www.congress.gov/bill/116th-...enate-bill/670

Rubio, a year ago.
    https://www.congress.gov/bill/115th-...nate-bill/2537

Same time all the time here in my kingdom . The amount of daylight is not determined by clocks .
    Do something Danke

I would say get rid of time zones to and everyone just goes by universal coordinated time but that would be too hard for some people to get used to.
    Last edited by kahless; 03-11-2019 at 10:11 PM.

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by kahless View Post
    I would say get rid of time zones to and everyone just goes by universal coordinated time but that would be too hard for some people to get used to.
    Don't you mean "everyone just goes by star-date"?

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

Quote Originally Posted by Swordsmyth View Post
    Don't you mean "everyone just goes by star-date"?
    No, he means like china where the entire country is in one single time zone.

Quote Originally Posted by specsaregood View Post
    I was making a Star Trek joke because of his moniker and avatar.

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

I was thinking more like world time, UTC, same as GMT.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coordi...Universal_Time
    Coordinated Universal Time (abbreviated to UTC) is the primary time standard by which the world regulates clocks and time.

That would be too simple.

Coordinated Universal Time (abbreviated to UTC) is the primary time standard by which the world regulates clocks and time.
    Yeah that's fine too. Same net result though, the entire country using a single time zone standard.

I can see that being practical for certain applications (business, mail, etc), but not so much everyday use.
    Quote Originally Posted by Torchbearer
    what works can never be discussed online. there is only one language the government understands, and until the people start speaking it by the magazine full... things will remain the same.
    Hear/buy my music here "government is the enemy of liberty"-RP Support me on Patreon here Ephesians 6:12

Quote Originally Posted by Brian4Liberty View Post
    Sounds good to me. I’m relieved Trump is OK with it.
    Oh, yeah. He has nothing to do with it, and that's good. According to the Tenth Amendment, Congress shouldn't either. The railroads didn't need any help from the government setting the time zones up. But thank God the Orange Figurehead is on board, or the nation's sheep might be paralyzed with indecision.
    Quote Originally Posted by Swordsmyth View Post
    We believe our lying eyes...

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Follow the money...

When you were a kid, you might have been told the spring and autumn rituals of adjusting your clock had something to do with farming. Yeah, that's not true. In fact, daylight saving time has less to do with tending to crops and more to do with practicing three-footers. Seriously.

As you probably know, daylight saving time, which in most of the country commenced on March 13, does not involve the magical creation of an extra hour of daylight, but instead shifts an hour of daylight from the early morning hours to the evening. The rationale is that hour of daylight is better utilized at the end of the work day than at the beginning. This is why certain entities, like groups representing gas stations and convenience stores, have lobbied for daylight saving time to start earlier in the year. The more daylight, the more people are willing to venture outside their homes, the more they need to refuel their cars.

This is where golf comes into play.

According to Michael Downing, a professor at Tufts University and the author of "Spring Forward: The Annual Madness Of Daylight Saving Time," the golf industry once estimated the game would increase revenue by $400 million if daylight saving began a month earlier. Those figures were part of a 1986 lobbying effort asking Congress to extend daylight saving from six to seven months, which ended up becoming the norm.

"The reason it's good for golf is because it creates more daylight when people are likely to play," said Steve Mona, CEO of the World Golf Foundation. "It could be going out to play nine holes or even just spending 30 minutes on the putting green. We believe any activity is good whether it leads to increased revenue or increased engagement in the game."

Mona says the golf industry no longer needs to actively lobby on behalf of daylight saving, and instead just monitors the occasional debate from afar. And to be clear, the concept is not universally embraced.

Studies have suggested that energy usage, one of the original factors behind daylight saving, does not decrease much because of daylight saving. Yes, people use their lights less in the evening hours, but it also means they might increase air conditioner use. And there are even health concerns from the inevitable sleep deprivation that accompanies moving clocks ahead an hour: the New England Journal of Medicine published a report in 2008 that said heart attack risk rose in Sweden following the spring time change.

So it's not a simple issue. Then again, if you're driving home from work this evening and notice you could still squeeze in a couple of holes, you probably aren't complaining.
    https://www.golfdigest.com/story/are...dustry-sort-of
    "Foreign aid is taking money from the poor people of a rich country, and giving it to the rich people of a poor country." - Ron Paul
    "Beware the Military-Industrial-Financial-Pharma-Corporate-Internet-Media-Government Complex." - B4L update of General Dwight D. Eisenhower
    "Debt is the drug, Wall St. Banksters are the dealers, and politicians are the addicts." - B4L
    "Totally free immigration? I've never taken that position. I believe in national sovereignty." - Ron Paul

Proponent of real science.
    The views and opinions expressed here are solely my own, and do not represent this forum or any other entities or persons.

But who would stick with the real time?
    "I shall bring justice to Westeros. Every man shall reap what he has sown, from the highest lord to the lowest gutter rat. They have made my kingdom bleed, and I do not forget that."
    -Stannis Baratheon

Quote Originally Posted by Philhelm View Post
    Those who can't get used to adjusting their thinking to UTC would be free to set their clock to anything they want.

Quote Originally Posted by Philhelm View Post
    Meh, I'm sick of having other people assume my timezone just because of where I live. I self-identify as Galapagos Standard Time.

Meh, I'm sick of having other people assume my timezone just because of where I live. I self-identify as Galapagos Standard Time.

Last edited by Dr.3D; 03-12-2019 at 11:42 AM.

Time zones make sense.
    But;
    Daylight savings time never did, and it was always just some
    little blsht thing you had to keep in the back of your mind and
    make sure you switched twice a year.
    There are zero good arguments for it, and many good ones against it.
    So whether its daylight savings year round or the alternate
    year round' , that will work.

Quote Originally Posted by Stratovarious View Post
    Time zones make sense.
    But;
    Why do they make sense?

Is there some rule that the clock has to correspond to the rising and setting of the Sun so that noon and midnight are at 12:00?

How about just one clock and everybody uses it? It would make things very simple for figuring out what time it is in another country. There would be no calculations involved.

People would just have to get used to what time they usually do things and then just go by the standard clock.
    Last edited by Dr.3D; 03-12-2019 at 11:59 AM. Reason: typo

Quote Originally Posted by Dr.3D View Post
    Why do they make sense?

Is there some rule that the clock has to correspond to the rising and setting of the Sun so that noon and midnight are at 12:00?

How about just one clock and everybody uses it? It would make things very simple for figuring out what time it is in another country. There would be no calculations in volved.

People would just have to get used to what time they usually do things and then just go by the standard clock.
    Greenwich Mean Time, I guess that would be ok , but a lot of people will be starting work at 3 am for their
    entire lives, the problems it solves would be replaced by the same ones imv.
    Take knowing what time it is all over the world, great, but every time you talk to people
    in 20 different zones or even Countries you'll still have to calculate or figure out what time
    they go or get off of work. :shrugs:

I grew up 'getting' time zones, also daylight savings , I always abhorred the clock dance, I
    resented it , even as a child, I never had a problem with time zones, it gives one a
    perspective of how rotation and seasonal slant of the earth in relation to the Sun.

There are still people out there that have no idea why summer days are longer than
    Winter, or even 'get' that they are, and they're not necessarily all dummies,
    I think having one time zone around the globe though will create more of them.

28. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Greenwich Mean Time, I guess that would be ok , but a lot of people will be starting work at 3 am for their
    entire lives, the problems it solves would be replaced by the same ones imv.
    Take knowing what time it is all over the world, great, but every time you talk to people
    in 20 different zones or even Countries you'll still have to calculate or figure out what time
    they go or get off of work. :shrugs:

I grew up 'getting' time zones, also daylight savings , I always abhorred the clock dance, I
    resented it , even as a child, I never had a problem with time zones, it gives one a
    perspective of how rotation and seasonal slant of the earth in relation to the Sun.

There are still people out there that have no idea why summer days are longer than
    Winter, or even 'get' that they are, and they're not necessarily all dummies,
    I think having one time zone around the globe though will create more of them.
    Well, that's an interesting perspective and I can appreciate that.

I didn't know this was a federal thing. Indiana held out until just a few years ago as not having DST until they just then adopted it, and it was just a state decision.

Well, that's an interesting perspective and I can appreciate that.
    Thanks 3d , I appreciate yours as well.

Thanks 3d , I appreciate yours as well.
    Of course you need to know when I suggested using a single clock, I didn't mean people would still be getting up going to sleep as if they were using a time zone clock.

It's like this, if you live on the east coast and usually get up at 08:00AM EST, the time on the UTC clock would read 12:00, so you would get up at 12:00 UTC.

On the west coast, it would three hours later and if you were usually getting up at 08:00AM PDT, you would get up at 15:00 UTC.

Of course you need to know when I suggested using a single clock, I didn't mean people would still be getting up going to sleep as if they were using a time zone clock.

It's like this, if you live on the east coast and usually get up at 08:00AM EST, the time on the UTC clock would read 12:00, so you would get up at 12:00 UTC.

On the west coast, it would three hours later and if you were usually getting up at 08:00AM PDT, you would get up at 15:00 UTC.

And I agree, it would be quite noticeable when traveling. I can see what you mean about it being confusing.

Time zones make sense.
    But;
    Agree.

Time is set by the sun- balancing from "noon", when the sun is straight up. This something indigenous people usually have no problem with while most "civilized" countries no longer comprehend the simplicity of this. With no time zones, "time" becomes just a vehicle to keep you in your Matrix prison.
    There is no spoon.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast