Thread: Russia Rejects Arbitration Ruling on Crimean Assets

Russia Rejects Arbitration Ruling on Crimean Assets

The International Court of Arbitration has awarded $1.3 billion to Ukraine’s second largest state-owned bank, Oschadbank, in its compensation case against Russia due to the loss of business and assets in Crimea following Moscow's 2014 annexation of the peninsula, the Kyiv Post reported Nov. 26. But the Russian Justice Ministry said Moscow did not recognize the court’s jurisdiction in the matter and its ruling.

More at: https://worldview.stratfor.com/situa...crimean-assets
    Never attempt to teach a pig to sing; it wastes your time and annoys the pig.

Robert Heinlein

Give a man an inch and right away he thinks he's a ruler

Groucho Marx

I love mankind…it’s people I can’t stand.

Linus, from the Peanuts comic

You cannot have liberty without morality and morality without faith

Alexis de Torqueville

Those who fail to learn from the past are condemned to repeat it.
    Those who learn from the past are condemned to watch everybody else repeat it

A Zero Hedge comment

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    They didn't annex it.
    Pfizer Macht Frei!

Openly Straight Man, Danke, Awarded Top Rated Influencer. Community Standards Enforcer.

Quiz: Test Your "Income" Tax IQ!

Short Income Tax Video

The Income Tax Is An Excise, And Excise Taxes Are Privilege Taxes

The Federalist Papers, No. 15:

Except as to the rule of appointment, the United States have an indefinite discretion to make requisitions for men and money; but they have no authority to raise either by regulations extending to the individual citizens of America.

Quote Originally Posted by Danke View Post
    They didn't annex it.
    According to the dictionary they did.

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

Quote Originally Posted by Swordsmyth View Post
    According to the dictionary they did.
    A referendum on the status of Crimea was held on March 16, 2014, by the legislature of the Autonomous Republic of Crimea and by the local government of Sevastopol (both subdivisions of Ukraine).

The official result from the Autonomous Republic of Crimea was a 96.77 percent vote for integration of the region into the Russian Federation with an 83.1 percent voter turnout.
    Pfizer Macht Frei!

Openly Straight Man, Danke, Awarded Top Rated Influencer. Community Standards Enforcer.

Short Income Tax Video

Except as to the rule of appointment, the United States have an indefinite discretion to make requisitions for men and money; but they have no authority to raise either by regulations extending to the individual citizens of America.

A referendum on the status of Crimea was held on March 16, 2014, by the legislature of the Autonomous Republic of Crimea and by the local government of Sevastopol (both subdivisions of Ukraine).

The official result from the Autonomous Republic of Crimea was a 96.77 percent vote for integration of the region into the Russian Federation with an 83.1 percent voter turnout.
    We had this discussion already:

How did they "annex"? Popular vote from Local Crimeans chose Russia over The Ukraine.
    annex (ə-nĕksˈ, ănˈĕksˌ)►

• v.
      To append or attach, especially to a larger or more significant thing.
    • v.
      To incorporate (territory) into an existing political unit such as a country, state, county, or city.
    My club votes to join your club, did your club annex us?
    If we vote to accept you then doing so will be annexing you.
    I don't think that is how it is been traditionally defined.
    I have seen it used that way in history books, but you are probably right about popular perception, I have no doubt they picked that word because it could be interpreted by the public as a synonym of "stole".
    Was Georgia annexed when it voted to join the union?
    Yes, by the academic definition.

annex (ə-nĕksˈ, ănˈĕksˌ)►

• v.
      To append or attach, especially to a larger or more significant thing.
    • v.
      To incorporate (territory) into an existing political unit such as a country, state, county, or city.
    you are being dishonest. You are leaving out the definition that says by force.
    No, I only need it to match one definition of the word, also those definitions include instances of force, they do not specify the method of appending, attaching or incorporating the smaller thing to the larger.

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

Annexation (Latin ad, to, and nexus, joining) is the administrative action[1] and concept in international law relating to the forcible acquisition of one state's territory by another state.[2] It is generally held to be an illegal act.[2] It is distinct from conquest, which refers to the acquisition of control over a territory involving a change of sovereignty,[3][4] and differs from cession, in which territory is given or sold through treaty, since annexation is a unilateral act where territory is seized and held by one state.[5] It usually follows military occupation of a territory.[1]
    Pfizer Macht Frei!

Short Income Tax Video

Annexation (Latin ad, to, and nexus, joining) is the administrative action[1] and concept in international law relating to the forcible acquisition of one state's territory by another state.[2] It is generally held to be an illegal act.[2] It is distinct from conquest, which refers to the acquisition of control over a territory involving a change of sovereignty,[3][4] and differs from cession, in which territory is given or sold through treaty, since annexation is a unilateral act where territory is seized and held by one state.[5] It usually follows military occupation of a territory.[1]
    That is the definition they want everyone to think of.

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

That is the definition they want everyone to think of.
    It is the common use when talking about states/countries. And what is meant when written about in articles such as in the OP.
    Pfizer Macht Frei!

Short Income Tax Video

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    It is the common use when talking about states/countries. And what is meant when written about in articles such as in the OP.
    In addition to the broader definition they also claim that the vote was conducted under duress and is invalid.

It's nonsense but that is the party line.

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment