Thread: U.S. and EU condemn Hungary's new ban on "promotion" of homosexuality to minors

Post U.S. and EU condemn Hungary's new ban on "promotion" of homosexuality to minors

U.S. and EU condemn Hungary's new ban on "promotion" of homosexuality to minors

June 17, 2021 / CBS/AFP

Brussels — The European Commission expressed concern Wednesday over Hungary's new law banning the "promotion" of homosexuality to minors, which has already been condemned by Washington and rights groups.

"Very concerned about the new law in Hungary. We are assessing if it breaches relevant EU legislation," EU Commission president Ursula von der Leyen tweeted.
    "I believe in a Europe which embraces diversity, not one which hides it from our children. No one should be discriminated on the basis of sexual orientation," she wrote.
    The law, passed on Tuesday, is the latest in a series of measures right-wing Prime Minister Viktor Orban's government says are aimed at protecting children.

The law is similar to one adopted by Russia's government in 2013 banning "propaganda of nontraditional sexual relations" to minors.
    cbsnews.com/news/hungary-ban-promotion-homosexuality-minors-us-eu-condemn/

Related

Hungary passes law banning LGBT content in schools or kids’ TV

Not clear if this law being linked to similar Russian votes (one such vote invoked response from US Embassy in Russia during MAGA term) would go against US led global campaign to promote LGBTQ civil rights and invoke any sanctions from US. So far no response from Prez Biden, Trump or other offiicials involved in global campaign on this.
    Correction, this had already happened.

Trump admin. launches global effort to end criminalization of homosexuality

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by enhanced_deficit View Post
    Lol.. you think ending the criminalization of homosexuality, in some cases execution, is the same as a ban on promoting the lifestyle to children?
    "He's talkin' to his gut like it's a person!!" -me
    "dumpster diving isn't professional." - angelatc
    "You don't need a medical degree to spot obvious bullshit, that's actually a separate skill." -Scott Adams
    "When you are divided, and angry, and controlled, you target those 'different' from you, not those responsible [controllers]" -Q

"Each of us must choose which course of action we should take: education, conventional political action, or even peaceful civil disobedience to bring about necessary changes. But let it not be said that we did nothing." - Ron Paul

"Paul said "the wave of the future" is a coalition of anti-authoritarian progressive Democrats and libertarian Republicans in Congress opposed to domestic surveillance, opposed to starting new wars and in favor of ending the so-called War on Drugs."

Quote Originally Posted by dannno View Post
    Lol.. you think ending the criminalization of homosexuality, in some cases execution, is the same as a ban on promoting the lifestyle to children?
    Watch it. He accused oyarde and me of being leaders of the gay civil rights movement simply for mocking the spam on this forum.

@RJB What is your definition of spam.. by your definition do such light hearted comments qualify to be spam:

Quote Originally Posted by RJB View Post
    What? No pictures of Trump and a rainbow flag? I know it has nothing to do with vaccines, but it's pride month.
    As long as it is related to topic and helps build context of a story in this age of short memories, it should be ok IMO.

Many people would see this as a compliment. But if this was misreading, will correct.

Welcome back ss but post #11 might be seen as politically incorrect by some.
    Could be wrong but some other esteemed forum guests like oyarde, RJB who tend to show strong leadership on anti-semitism/LGBTQ civil rights issues might even see such a reporting narrative as improper.

@danno, "related" does not translate to "equated". It's for historic context.
    And GOP-Adelson wing led global campaign was bit more expansive than that characterization and included promotion as well (as cited in MAGA heavy-lifting post).

Hungary did nothing wrong.

Baphomet was a tranny

don'cha know why they love it

it's their religion

Quote Originally Posted by Sammy View Post
    Hungary did nothing wrong.
    Meanwhile the West with the EU and America has nothing to say about the Drag Children.

(Here is a necro thread bump of my own. I got long winded and boldened the answer to your question.)

From your syntax and grammar, I am guessing English is not your first language. It is pretty good, though. The reason why I bring that up is you seem surprised about many hypocrisies of American politics. From your passion against American foreign aggression, I have a sense you or your family have first hand experience with the horror of the wars caused by our politicians. Me on the other hand, my passion is diminished because mine is based more on the morality and the fact that our tax money is wasted on the atrocities committed to enrich the MIC. So I do respect your position and integrity.

As for my pointing out "spam," it may be my cynicism that I acquire from over the years. I am not shocked nor offended when I see a politician who says one thing but smiles and shakes hands with someone they disagree with. I expect it. Politicians, including Trump, want votes. He will smile in front of a rainbow flag, take a check from a neocon etc. Most Americans expect that. I imagine that that may seem shocking to someone not familiar with American politics. But to most here, seeing a picture with Trump with Sheldon Adelson is expected. To see it posted by you every other day seems redundant.

Also, I expect the worst out of all politicians. I expected the worst out of Trump and was at peace with all hell breaking loose once he was elected. I think many on this forum felt similarly. When we didn't enter any new wars, he cut a few regulations, I was very pleasantly surprised. I have said he is the best president in my lifetime with the caveat that that isn't saying much when comparing him to other baby killers.

As I said, Trump is a politician and a business man who is a student of Sun Tzu's art of war. He adheres to no principles or philosophies other than the "bottom line." I don't think he considers slippery slopes because America has long since slid down too many of them. I think a lot of us (including his die-hard fans) weren't surprised when he spoke about banning bump stocks (or did he sign an executive order, I forget) Most of his base didn't care so neither did he. The vaccine was another thing. He wanted a victory over COVID and he saw promoting the development of it that as the best way for a political victory. He spoke a big game on a lot of things...

In short, I wasn't the slightest bit surprised at any bad thing he did and was very happy with the few good things he did.

I actually do enjoy your presence here. Sometimes, I think maybe I should be less cynical and expect more from my politicians as you did with Trump, but I just don't feel like it at my age. Being a cynical grump is what I am. When bad things happen, I am not surprised and am at peace. When someone, like Trump, Biden, whoever actually does something good for a change I am happy.

@RJB What is your definition of spam.. by your definition do such light hearted comments qualify to be spam:

As long as it is related to topic and helps build context of a story in this age of short memories, it should be ok IMO.

Last edited by RJB; 08-21-2021 at 09:00 PM.

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Answering the question in this LGBTQ civil rights thread from so long ago while US Foreign Policy or perhaps US Placement in the world is at a critical juncture..
    Yes I'd say bit longwinded because of the timing, otherwise a good debate on any interesting topic is always welcome especially if offers an opportunity to learn something new or better understanding.

But to most here, seeing a picture with Trump with Sheldon Adelson is expected. To see it posted by you every other day seems redundant.
    I did support Trump early on, he was defnitely better than HRC. For that matter, had supported Obama early on too after Ron Paul was no longer in the Prez run in 2008.
    I'm guilty of being overly pragmatic now and then but don't think were terrible calls considering choices at the time.

You seem to be making very wrong assumptions about what may appear singular focus on foreign policy & its costs, global wars policies, Israel-Palestine issues etc. My interest in politics used to be almost none but things changed after seeing horrors of 9/11 and resulting costly wars that followed using that tragedy as justification. Have explored and learnt a lot since then and at this point have pretty firm conviction that many key US domestic rights/eroding liberties issues are directly or indirectly rooted in a flawed foreign policy. Finding out more about recent foreign policy history and reading after Ron Paul's blowback theory controversy also played an important role in what now seems like was a paradigm shift in thinking. Do I err on the side of redundancy now and then, sure. But if repetition of some narratives/messaging/memes is the only gripe you have and don't challenge any of key underlying arguments on any of the many topics discussed here, guess we can leave it there.

Would have been nice if you had tried to at least tie the LGBTQ civl rights/human rights topic to current developments instead of trying to speculate about motives, but no foul there. Understanding advertized nexus of global interventions and human rights and debunking it is central to ending the very costly forever wars aka compassionate neoconism imo that has touched so many aspects of American life in the two decades since 9/11.

This sort of is related to human rights/LGBTQ rights/wars, so in case you want to further discuss any policy/ideas on these or related topics.

LZ Granderson : 'Taliban's return means death for LGBTQ Afghans. Biden, will you help?'

Wed, August 18, 2021

President Biden is held in high regard in the LGBTQ community, largely for his “Meet the Press” interview in 2012, when as vice president he endorsed same-sex marriage ahead of President Obama.
    As the boss now, Biden has continued that support: bringing Pride Month celebrations back to the White House and creating an administration with a historic number of LGBTQ appointees and initiatives.
    Over the last 20 years, young LGBTQ Afghans took it upon themselves to be the vanguard of change, Sadat told me. “They came out to their families. They told their friends. They found love. And it’s a very diverse group of people. People who didn’t have a lot of means and people who did.” Now, he points out, the people with means may be able to escape on their own, but not the others.
    Of the Taliban, Sadat said: “They are going to do what the Nazis did to LGBT people. They are going to try to exterminate us.”

Biden declares Pulse gay nightclub, the scene of 2016 mass shooting, a national memorial

‘This Is Manifestly Not Saigon’ and Our Society of Lies

Dennis Prager / August 17, 2021
    That statement sums up the state of the United States of America. We have become a Society of Lies.
    The president of the United States says whatever works for him and his left-wing party. One example rarely noted was his decision to turn the Pulse nightclub, an LGBT gathering place in Orlando, Florida, and the scene of a 2016 mass murder of 49 people, into a national memorial.
    “Five years ago today in Orlando in the middle of Pride Month,” President Joe Biden announced, “our nation suffered the deadliest attack affecting the LGBTQ+ community in American history, and at the time, the deadliest mass shooting by a single gunman.”

Afghan Mayor Says She's Waiting for Taliban to "Come and kill me"

As for above mayor's claimed statement, quick news search did not show reports of reprisals in Kabul. But it's very early and time will tell how true are claims of 'amnesty'. Did come across a claim of targetting in google news :

Taliban were ‘catching and killing us’: Afghan intel officer who fled to Delhi on last flight from Kabul
    The National Directorate of Security (NDS) officer said that the Taliban had sent them notices, asking to ‘revolt the government or die’.
    AUG 17, 2021
    hindustantimes.com/world-news/afghan-intel-officer-fled-to-delhi-on-last-flight-from-kabul-to-escape-taliban-101629139600183.html

This could be linked to commitments China had saught if claims are factual and might not indicate widespread reprisals or targetting of women:

http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthr...=1#post7053282

China's State Newspaper
    Crusade against July 14 terrorists to punish whoever attacks Chinese
    globaltimes.cn
    Aug 13, 2021 — The Dasu terrorist attack that killed nine Chinese nationals... The NDS is the largest intelligence agency in Afghanistan.
    Nine Chinese nationals were killed in a shuttle bus explosion in ... that India's RAW and Afghan NDS have been involved in the Dasu attack, ...
    Whole world will be watching, new regime that will emrge got to be mindful of that too.

Related

Back to Afghanistan!
    Its for the women!
    (but not the Children)

I think banning the promotion to minors might be more healthy than the actual promotion .Seems ok to me .
    Do something Danke