Thread: Trump issues orders making it easier to fire federal employees

Trump issues orders making it easier to fire federal employees

President Donald Trump on Friday issued a series of executive orders to weaken the influence of government unions and make it easier for agencies to fire civil servants.
    The orders will standardize agency rules to make it easier and quicker to remove poorly performing employees. They also direct federal agencies to renegotiate their labor contracts and cap the amount of paid time that workers can take off to conduct union-related business.

More at: https://www.politico.com/story/2018/...ervants-609167
    Never attempt to teach a pig to sing; it wastes your time and annoys the pig.

Robert Heinlein

Give a man an inch and right away he thinks he's a ruler

Groucho Marx

I love mankind…it’s people I can’t stand.

Linus, from the Peanuts comic

You cannot have liberty without morality and morality without faith

Alexis de Torqueville

Those who fail to learn from the past are condemned to repeat it.
    Those who learn from the past are condemned to watch everybody else repeat it

A Zero Hedge comment

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    awesome!

We're being governed ruled by a geriatric Alzheimer patient/puppet whose strings are being pulled by an elitist oligarchy who believe they can manage the world... imagine the utter maniacal, sociopathic hubris!

Question, what is the name of the the executive order?

We're being governed ruled by a geriatric Alzheimer patient/puppet whose strings are being pulled by an elitist oligarchy who believe they can manage the world... imagine the utter maniacal, sociopathic hubris!

Quote Originally Posted by Pauls' Revere View Post
    Question, what is the name of the the executive order?
    The article doesn't say.
    Never attempt to teach a pig to sing; it wastes your time and annoys the pig.

Robert Heinlein

Give a man an inch and right away he thinks he's a ruler

Groucho Marx

I love mankind…it’s people I can’t stand.

Linus, from the Peanuts comic

You cannot have liberty without morality and morality without faith

Alexis de Torqueville

Those who fail to learn from the past are condemned to repeat it.
    Those who learn from the past are condemned to watch everybody else repeat it

A Zero Hedge comment

They aren't posted on the White House Website yet, but :

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/05/25/b...l-workers.html

Mr. Trump signed three executive orders. The first makes it easier to fire and discipline federal employees, which a senior administration official, who declined to be named on a call with reporters, argued had become a much too lengthy and difficult process. The administration said that it frequently took six months to a year to dismiss a poorly performing employee, followed by an appeals period averaging eight months.

To streamline the process, the official said, the executive order will give poor performers only 30 days to demonstrate improvement, rather than the current limit of up to 120 days, depending on the agency.

The official said the administration would also make performance a more important factor than seniority when agencies undertake layoffs.

The second executive order directs federal agencies to renegotiate contracts with unions representing government employees so as to reduce waste. The anonymous administration official expressed hope that, for example, agencies could stop having to pay expenses on both sides when unions undertake appeals on behalf of fired workers.

Richard Loeb, a senior policy counsel for the American Federation of Government Employees, said appeals were typically handled by union lawyers not paid by the government.

The administration said it would also post union contracts online so that Americans could review its efforts to negotiate better deals with government workers.

The third order aims to cut down on “official time,” in which government workers who have roles in the union, like helping colleagues file grievances, are allowed to perform those roles during normal working hours for which they draw their usual salary. (An analogous concept exists for private-sector unions.) The order limits official time to 25 percent of their hours during the year.

Administration officials said a subset of federal employees had been able to spend as much as 100 percent of their duty hours on union business, and estimated savings of at least $100 million a year once the order is fully in effect.

Mr. Bremberg, the White House domestic policy official, said the actions would make good on the president’s call to “empower every cabinet secretary with the authority to reward good workers and remove those that undermine the public trust or fail the American people.”

The executive order making it easier to fire poor-performing workers was an effort to expand on legislation that Congress enacted last year aimed at the Department of Veterans Affairs, which became embroiled in a scandal in 2014 over the extremely long waits that veterans were enduring for health care.

According to data collected by the American Federation of Government Employees, more than 1,600 workers have been removed under the provisions of the law passed last year, called the Department of Veterans Affairs Accountability and Whistleblower Protection Act. Among those removed were over 200 housekeeping aides, nearly 150 nursing assistants and nearly 100 food-service workers — representing three of the top four positions with the most removals.

Donald F. Kettl, a professor of public policy at the University of Texas at Austin who is based in Washington, said the number of low-level employees removed suggested the department was not using the legislation to make structural reforms that would improve veterans’ access to care.

Again, credit where credit is due, this is a good thing.

I can feel the MAGA washing over me like a golden shower in a cheap hotel.
    Last edited by Jamesiv1; 05-28-2018 at 04:45 AM.
    1. Don't lie.
    2. Don't cheat.
    3. Don't steal.
    4. Don't kill.
    5. Don't commit adultery.
    6. Don't covet what your neighbor has, especially his wife.
    7. Honor your father and mother.
    8. Remember the Sabbath and keep it Holy.
    9. Don’t use your Higher Power's name in vain, or anyone else's.
    10. Do unto others as you would have them do to you.

"For the love of money is the root of all evil..." -- I Timothy 6:10, KJV

Quote Originally Posted by Anti Federalist View Post
    Again, credit where credit is due, this is a good thing.
    We are of one mind. Scary.

Quote Originally Posted by Jamesiv1 View Post
    I can feel the MAGA washing over me like a golden shower in a cheap hotel.
    Then there is this.

Why is it seemingly impossible for some people to take even small victories?

Had Obama done anything right, you know... like commit suicide, I'd have give credit where due. Fortunately for me, he did everything wrong and my purity remains intact.

Seriously though, have you no charity to credit even a bad man for a good deed? This is what the better man does. Be a better man. Or not.
    freedomisobvious.blogspot.com

There is only one correct way: freedom. All other solutions are non-solutions.

It appears that artificial intelligence is at least slightly superior to natural stupidity.

Our words make us the ghosts that we are.

Convincing the world he didn't exist was the Devil's second greatest trick; the first was convincing us that God didn't exist.

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by osan View Post
    Why is it seemingly impossible for some people to take even small victories?

Seriously though, have you no charity to credit even a bad man for a good deed? This is what the better man does. Be a better man. Or not.
    Are you addressing me? Do you think I was talking smack on Trump?

You can count me a Trump fanboy. Seriously.

That was just me delivering a tongue-in-cheek wisecrack, poking fun at the "golden shower" drama a while back.

The cleverness of my wit is palpable, if not easily discernible.
    1. Don't lie.
    2. Don't cheat.
    3. Don't steal.
    4. Don't kill.

Quote Originally Posted by Jamesiv1 View Post
    Are you addressing me? Do you think I was talking smack on Trump?

You can count me a Trump fanboy. Seriously.

That was just me delivering a tongue-in-cheek wisecrack, poking fun at the "golden shower" drama a while back.

The cleverness of my wit is palpable, if not easily discernible.
    I was clueless... as usual.

I was making a general statement, but your sarcasm was admittedly lost on me.
    freedomisobvious.blogspot.com

There is only one correct way: freedom. All other solutions are non-solutions.

It appears that artificial intelligence is at least slightly superior to natural stupidity.

Our words make us the ghosts that we are.

Convincing the world he didn't exist was the Devil's second greatest trick; the first was convincing us that God didn't exist.

Quote Originally Posted by osan View Post
    I was clueless... as usual.

I was making a general statement, but your sarcasm was admittedly lost on me.
    No harm no foul.
    1. Don't lie.
    2. Don't cheat.
    3. Don't steal.
    4. Don't kill.