Thread: Have you tested at 23andme? Let's compare for fun!

Have you tested at 23andme? Let's compare for fun!

If you've tested at 23andme's site, I wanted to list some SNP's that scientists have associated with certain traits and see what we all have. Also if you want to do an extended share at the website, just PM me and I'll give you a link to my profile on there.

Note: If you've got an issue with genetics or are concerned about what governments or insurance companies could do with that data, then make a new thread. I'm just saying this now so that you all know off topic posts will be reported. Don't take it personally. I just don't want to this thread clogged up with a philosophical or morality debate. Thanks for understanding...

Empathy gene
    Rs53576 GG=more empathetic.
    Another study has shown those with GG are more giving to charities. AA's feel a commitment to civic duty like jury duty and paying taxes. They also perceive the world as a "threat"...LOL
    I am AA here, which is surprising considering my personality type is INFJ. Supposedly that type is the most empathetic.

Associated with alcohol cravings
    Rs1799971 GG=more cravings.
    I am AA. I drink alcohol like once a year. lol

Caffeine Metabolism (also known as Cytochrome P450 1A2 CYP1A2. This metabolizes medicines too.)
    rs762551=For each C, slower liver metabolism.
    I am CC on this one.

Lactose intolerance
    Rs4988235 GG=Less likely to digest milk
    Rs182549 CC=Less likely to digest milk
    If you have both, then it's quite likely you are lactose intolerant.

I am GG and CC. I already knew I was lactose intolerant. It makes me feel so sick and NO raw milk does not help. Every time I post about lactose intolerance someone always comes in and tells me to drink raw milk, so I'm prefacing that with this comment...LOL If you still post about raw milk, you give me permission to smack you down.

Celiac Disease (unable to digest wheat)
    Rs2187668= For each T, increases risk. This is testing for HLA-DRB1*0301.
    rs6822844= For each G, increases risk.
    rs6441961= For each T, increases risk.
    Rs2074404=GG Seen in higher rate in those with Celiac
    I am CC, GG, CC and GG.

Bitter Taste
    rs713598=CC Cannot taste certain bitter foods
    CC. Didn't know I couldn't taste this...lol

Factor V Lieden. Increases risk for blood clots.
    rs6025 =Any T allele in this one means you have it. It is recessive.
    CC. I don't have it.

Increased risk for ALS
    rs12608932=For each C increases your risk
    rs2814707=For each T increases your risk
    AA and TT

I also created this spreadsheet for those interested in Dr. Amy Yasko's Methylation SNP's. You can use this spreadsheet to help you convert your 23andme data into Yasko's +/- notations for easier comparing to others who have taken her test.
    https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/...GSGhPUnc#gid=1
    Last edited by Birdlady; 04-30-2012 at 05:03 AM.
    Go check out my vocal covers on Youtube. Thanks!
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qVdQYPR6lEo

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Try some raw milk!

Seriously, I don't drink milk at all. Milk is for baby animals.

But did you have to send a cheek swab for this testing?
    Last edited by Acala; 04-10-2012 at 02:40 PM.
    The proper concern of society is the preservation of individual freedom; the proper concern of the individual is the harmony of society.

"Who would be free, themselves must strike the blow." - Byron

"Who overcomes by force, hath overcome but half his foe." - Milton

Quote Originally Posted by Birdlady View Post
    Note: If you've got an issue with genetics or are concerned about what governments or insurance companies could do with that data, then make a new thread. I'm just saying this now so that you all know off topic posts will be reported. Don't take it personally. I just don't want to this thread clogged up with a philosophical or morality debate. Thanks for understanding...
    Well, I won't be discussing philosophical or morality issues but rather scientific and economic issues.

Economic issue: People, do NOT WASTE YOUR MONEY with this site or similar tests. Genes do NOT determine characteristics or traits.

Scientific issue: This doctor does a good job at explaining what really controls our body; and it's not genes!

So I guess report me if you want because it doesn't bother me when I warn people about a scam.
    Those who expect to reap the blessings of liberty must undergo the fatigues of supporting it ~Thomas Paine

Americans used to roar like lions for liberty; now we bleat like sheep for security ~Norman Vincent Peale

Quote Originally Posted by Acala View Post
    Try some raw milk!

Seriously, I don't drink milk at all. Milk is for baby animals.

But did you have to send a cheek swab for this testing?
    Just had to spit into a tube. Easy!

Quote Originally Posted by wrestlingwes_8 View Post
    Well, I won't be discussing philosophical or morality issues but rather scientific and economic issues.

Economic issue: People, do NOT WASTE YOUR MONEY with this site or similar tests. Genes do NOT determine characteristics or traits.

Scientific issue: This doctor does a good job at explaining what really controls our body; and it's not genes!

So I guess report me if you want because it doesn't bother me when I warn people about a scam.
    This was the best money I've spent on my health in the past 3 years. I found out I have something extremely rare that could have killed me if I had taken a certain type of medicine. I never would have been tested for this because it has a frequency of only 0-0.1% in Caucasians.

I also don't see how it's a scam. You don't think that certain genes tell you about your pharmacogenomics? Or if are a carrier of hereditary diseases? Of course genes aren't the only say in things and you have to take care of yourself, eat well etc. However there are some SNP's that do identify certain conditions or defects. For instance Factor V Lieden... which is better to know about than to just pretend everything is ok.

Your opinion is duly noted and I ask you to leave my thread. Thanks for understanding.

Also they will be having a sale here very very soon for DNA day. If you want to get this done, wait for that.
    So anyone want to share their results? Do yours makes sense with your phenotype?
    Last edited by Birdlady; 04-11-2012 at 01:05 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Birdlady View Post
    Just had to spit into a tube. Easy!

This was the best money I've spent on my health in the past 3 years. I found out I have something extremely rare that could have killed me if I had taken a certain type of medicine. I never would have been tested for this because it has a frequency of only 0-0.1% in Caucasians.

I also don't see how it's a scam. You don't think that certain genes tell you about your pharmacogenomics? Or if are a carrier of hereditary diseases? Of course genes aren't the only say in things and you have to take care of yourself, eat well etc. However there are some SNP's that do identify certain conditions or defects. For instance Factor V Lieden... which is better to know about than to just pretend everything is ok.

Your opinion is duly noted and I ask you to leave my thread. Thanks for understanding.

Also they will be having a sale here very very soon for DNA day. If you want to get this done, wait for that.
    So anyone want to share their results? Do yours makes sense with your phenotype?
    If I get it done I will share my results. Not sure I can spare the coin. Two kids in college. Preparing for the apocalypse. You know the drill.
    The proper concern of society is the preservation of individual freedom; the proper concern of the individual is the harmony of society.

"Who would be free, themselves must strike the blow." - Byron

"Who overcomes by force, hath overcome but half his foe." - Milton

Quote Originally Posted by Acala View Post
    If I get it done I will share my results. Not sure I can spare the coin. Two kids in college. Preparing for the apocalypse. You know the drill.
    Mine was a Christmas gift. If the budget is tight (which I understand), then be sure to wait for the DNA day sale to get the best deal possible. It is coming up very very soon... Last year the deal was no fee upfront (except shipping which is $15) and then $9 a month subscription fee, which you are locked into for 12 months.

I'll be sure to make a post to let you know when the sale is since you are interested! Just be sure to keep checking because it usually only lasts 24 hours for DNA day.

I found out some other fascinating things too and you also get access to your genetic genealogy which is pretty neat too.

Anyone who follows Dr. Amy Yasko may want to get this done to check for a good number of her methylation SNP's. It's much cheaper than her genetic test. I think hers is $500.

No DNA day sale this year. Just wanted to give a heads up. Very disappointing.