Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: North Carolina Farmer's Freedom Protection Act

North Carolina Farmer's Freedom Protection Act

I just submitted a bill to the Bill Drafting department. They are waiting until the finalized version of S.510 is produced in order to detail what protections exactly are needed, but we should have the NCFFPA ready to file extremely early -- during the first week if not on the first day.

The basic idea is to specify via the 10th Amendment that all foodstuffs produced in and remaining within the borders of the State of North Carolina are not subject to Federal law or Federal regulation. This will at the very least protect our State's farmer's markets, as well as preserve local food coops and direct-from-farmer purchases of food.

More details to follow. I should have a bill number by February 1st or 2nd. Bills cannot even be filed (to get a bill number) until January 28th or 31st. Text of the Act should be available around January 14th.
    http://glenbradley.net/share/aleksan...nitsyn_4-t.gif “And how we burned in the camps later, thinking: What would things have been like if every Security operative, when he went out at night to make an arrest, had been uncertain whether he would return alive and had to say good-bye to his family? Or if, during periods of mass arrests, as for example in Leningrad, when they arrested a quarter of the entire city, people had not simply sat there in their lairs, paling with terror at every bang of the downstairs door and at every step on the staircase, but had understood they had nothing left to lose and had boldly set up in the downstairs hall an ambush of half a dozen people with axes, hammers, pokers, or whatever else was at hand?... The Organs would very quickly have suffered a shortage of officers and transport and, notwithstanding all of Stalin's thirst, the cursed machine would have ground to a halt! If...if...We didn't love freedom enough. And even more – we had no awareness of the real situation.... We purely and simply deserved everything that happened afterward.” ― Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Sweeeeeeeeeeeet!!!!!!!!!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by PaulConventionWV View Post
    You're not making the claim that there's no objective best diet, are you?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Supporting Member
    North Wilkesboro, NC

BRAVO my good man. I'll give a plug at the county gop meeting this Sat.

Please keep this updated and when we have the language of the bill in front of us than I will print some copies and take them up to Annapolis and challenge our state legislators to introduce the same legislation here in MD.
    "Governor, if I had foreseen the use those people
    designed to make of their victory,
    there would have been no surrender at
    Appomattox Courthouse; no sir, not by me.
    Had I foreseen these results of subjugation,
    I would have preferred to die at Appomattox
    with my brave men, my sword in my right hand." - Robert E. Lee to Governor Fletcher S. Stockdale (D-Texas), 1870

Chester Copperpot

NIce..... when its done ill forward it to one of our legislators here in NJ.. maybe we can get everybody on board with this.

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    vell done! Keep up the good work!
    Tu ne cede malis sed contra audentior ito

It would really be something to see the state GOP legislators repudiate Senator Burr's bill.

No kidding. Bet you won't see Stam or Tillis co-sponsoring this one any time soon.

Great job Gunny! I would venture to say that produce at farmers market has a better track record than FDA inspected processed foods.
    if modern agriculture continues to follow the path it's on now, it's finished. The food-growing situation may seem to be in good shape today, but that's just an illusion based on the current availability of petroleum fuels. All the wheat, corn, and other crops that are produced on big American farms may be alive and growing, but they're not products of real nature or real agriculture. They're manufactured rather than grown. The earth isn't producing those things.. petroleum is! -Masanobu Fukuoka

do you have anyone wanting to co-sponsor? way to go gunny.

Quote Originally Posted by cbc58 View Post
    do you have anyone wanting to co-sponsor? way to go gunny.
    I'll be working on that through January prior to opening day. I hope to have 4 primary sponsors and some cosponsors to the bill lined up prior to filing it.
    http://glenbradley.net/share/aleksan...nitsyn_4-t.gif “And how we burned in the camps later, thinking: What would things have been like if every Security operative, when he went out at night to make an arrest, had been uncertain whether he would return alive and had to say good-bye to his family? Or if, during periods of mass arrests, as for example in Leningrad, when they arrested a quarter of the entire city, people had not simply sat there in their lairs, paling with terror at every bang of the downstairs door and at every step on the staircase, but had understood they had nothing left to lose and had boldly set up in the downstairs hall an ambush of half a dozen people with axes, hammers, pokers, or whatever else was at hand?... The Organs would very quickly have suffered a shortage of officers and transport and, notwithstanding all of Stalin's thirst, the cursed machine would have ground to a halt! If...if...We didn't love freedom enough. And even more – we had no awareness of the real situation.... We purely and simply deserved everything that happened afterward.” ― Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn

Gunnyfreedom literally writing Bills to protect freedoms!!!!!!!!!
    "Your mother's dead, before long I'll be dead, and you...and your brother and your sister and all of her children, all of us dead, all of us..rotting in the ground. It's the family name that lives on. It's all that lives on. Not your personal glory, not your honor, but family." - Tywin Lannister

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Gunny, Chad Adams has had me on his radio show two weeks in a row now to discuss S. 510, and Burr was on there last Thursday defending his vote. I've sent a Facebook message to he and his producer to see if they're interested in having you on to talk about your Farmer's Freedom Bill. Let me know if you hear anything back from them about it; I think it'd make for some great publicity and help recruit co-sponsors.

Quote Originally Posted by CaseyJones View Post
    Rep this Man! I am out

Done!

And many, many many thanks to Gunny for standing up for freedom!!!

Quote Originally Posted by GunnyFreedom View Post
    I just submitted a bill to the Bill Drafting department. They are waiting until the finalized version of S.510 is produced in order to detail what protections exactly are needed, but we should have the NCFFPA ready to file extremely early -- during the first week if not on the first day.

The basic idea is to specify via the 10th Amendment that all foodstuffs produced in and remaining within the borders of the State of North Carolina are not subject to Federal law or Federal regulation. This will at the very least protect our State's farmer's markets, as well as preserve local food coops and direct-from-farmer purchases of food.

More details to follow. I should have a bill number by February 1st or 2nd. Bills cannot even be filed (to get a bill number) until January 28th or 31st. Text of the Act should be available around January 14th.
    Bill drafting department? What is that? It should be a very short bill, no? How about this...

"Food production in North Carolina shall not be regulated or taxed by any federal law or treaty."

I don't see the need to specify where the food goes so I see that part as pandering to federal goons. The feds have no authority to regulate the production of food. Let them inspect trucks at the border if they really want to know where it goes.

Keep up the great work, by the way. You are an inspiration to us all.
    Member of Ron Paul Forums Double Flat Tariff Only Society - Working towards eliminating all the foreign producer/outsource subsidizing internal federal taxes in favor of an across the board flat tariff applied equally to every country and every product.

Great! In addition, I suggest Genetically Altered Foods produced outside of the State of North Carolina, such as Chimeras (the recently announced salmon for example), should be inspected and approved by the State Health Department before they are allowed to be sold to the people. The Federal Goverment should not regulate our food supply. The people have a right to know what they are eating.

Gunny, let me know if you meet any resistance to this bill.

I live out here in Boone were there is a huge constituency of local food advocates. I know some people who could send out a few emails that could get some big exposure and lots of phone calls for this bill.
    if modern agriculture continues to follow the path it's on now, it's finished. The food-growing situation may seem to be in good shape today, but that's just an illusion based on the current availability of petroleum fuels. All the wheat, corn, and other crops that are produced on big American farms may be alive and growing, but they're not products of real nature or real agriculture. They're manufactured rather than grown. The earth isn't producing those things.. petroleum is! -Masanobu Fukuoka

are you going to submit a raw milk bill? or is it legal already in NC?
    Tu ne cede malis sed contra audentior ito

Glen Bradley = awesome. I will be emailing/calling my state reps. here in Arizona to ask them to protect our state's produce from the FDA including nullifying S. 510 and they'll be sent a copy of the FFPA once the text becomes available.
    "With respect to the words 'General Welfare', I have always regarded them as qualified by the detail of powers connected with them. To take them in a literal and unlimited sense would be a metamorphosis of the Constitution into a character which there is a host of proofs was not contemplated by its creators." - James Madison, 1831

Way to go Gunny!

Make sure it includes - the produce, the means of production and the producers shall not be regulated by the Federal government.

28. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    I will be adding the 10th Amendment Center's model legislation to the tools the bill drafting department has to draw from.

And wrt sratiug, it is a lot more difficult to write shorter bills at the State level because of all the specific requirements identifying what code gets modified and how. So far from what I have seen, the Bill Drafting Department here is above board and top notch. They will write you a bill to demand that pink unicorns fly in orbits around the State Capitol if that's what you ask for, and make it as bulletproof as a reinforced squad of lawyers know how. Since my many requests for lawyers to help draft bills has been met with only one law student willing to lend a hand, I'll be leaning pretty heavy on the Bill Drafting Department to put the structures together that those who are helping me and I can go back and refine.

Quote Originally Posted by RPLiberty1 View Post
    Way to go Gunny!

Make sure it includes - the produce, the means of production and the producers shall not be regulated by the Federal government.
    Good suggestion. I will try and get ahold of the 10thA Ctr's model legislation and modify it to that extent, and then provide that to the BDD's resources for drafting this bill. Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Romantarchist View Post
    Glen Bradley = awesome. I will be emailing/calling my state reps. here in Arizona to ask them to protect our state's produce from the FDA including nullifying S. 510 and they'll be sent a copy of the FFPA once the text becomes available.
    Thanks man, hopefully we will be able to produce a slew of 10th A stuff that gets modeled all over the nation. The NCFFPA is just a first step, and one that is likely to get decent reception from incoming tea-party influenced types as well as some Dems across the aisle. It will take a crapton of work going person to person to person to build the coalition on it, but I think it's well within the realm of possibility.

This is, I believe, not JUST about model legislation but also about developing a process that allows our type of bills to move within relatively establishment environments.

Quote Originally Posted by libertybrewcity View Post
    are you going to submit a raw milk bill? or is it legal already in NC?
    I don't actually know, but i don't think so. Isn't the raw milk thing Federal? If so, then the NCFFPA would cover it, being foodstuffs produced and retained in NC. Just so long as said raw milk does not cross State borders, then the NCFFPA should protect it from Federal regulation.

Quote Originally Posted by BenIsForRon View Post
    Gunny, let me know if you meet any resistance to this bill.

I live out here in Boone were there is a huge constituency of local food advocates. I know some people who could send out a few emails that could get some big exposure and lots of phone calls for this bill.
    Thanks man, I have no doubt that I'll be calling on the NC grassroots to raise cain at some point or other, I do not know if the NCFFPA will require that or not at this point. One thing I want to be cautious about is I don't want to 'pull the trigger' so to speak on the grassroots harassment on a bill that stands a good chance of passing without it. Oh, of course people can call up and pressure their reps on their own, but I do think that asking for a concerted effort whe it is not needed will cause two major problems, 1) crying chicken little all the time will make the grassroots less energized to help when it is actually needed, and 2) annoying the heck out of other legislators when it is unnecessary will burn bridges I may need one day.

I will certainly keep everybody up to date on the ins and outs of this bill. Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by seeker4sho View Post
    Great! In addition, I suggest Genetically Altered Foods produced outside of the State of North Carolina, such as Chimeras (the recently announced salmon for example), should be inspected and approved by the State Health Department before they are allowed to be sold to the people. The Federal Goverment should not regulate our food supply. The people have a right to know what they are eating.
    This sounds like a good idea for another, different, bill. I'm going to try avoiding stacking disparate concepts together into a single bill, that always seemed wrong to me. I'm thinking a GMO bill may require all GMO goods imported into the State of NC require clear labeling for the consumer identifying it as containing GMO material.

Now to make that work we have to come up with a good, legal definition of "GMO."

I'll open another thread on that subject within the next 24 hrs to discuss how best to do that.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast