Page 9 of 38 FirstFirst ... 789101119 ... LastLast

Thread: Boom. You can't out tariff us. Period. This Trump knows.

Walmart Inc <WMT.N> has asked some beauty suppliers to consider sourcing products from outside China, as it looks for ways to mitigate the impact of a new set of tariffs on Chinese products proposed by the Trump administration.In an email sent to some beauty suppliers on Aug. 7, seen by Reuters, the retailer asks if they have facilities outside China, and if not, whether they would consider investing in them, to broaden their sourcing ability.
    Many cosmetics products like shampoos, lipsticks and makeup fall under the most recent list of proposed levies on Chinese goods.

More at: https://finance.yahoo.com/news/walma...--finance.html
    Never attempt to teach a pig to sing; it wastes your time and annoys the pig.

Robert Heinlein

Give a man an inch and right away he thinks he's a ruler

Groucho Marx

I love mankind…it’s people I can’t stand.

Linus, from the Peanuts comic

You cannot have liberty without morality and morality without faith

Alexis de Torqueville

Those who fail to learn from the past are condemned to repeat it.
    Those who learn from the past are condemned to watch everybody else repeat it

A Zero Hedge comment

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by Swordsmyth View Post
    Walmart Inc <WMT.N> has asked some beauty suppliers to consider sourcing products from outside China, as it looks for ways to mitigate the impact of a new set of tariffs on Chinese products proposed by the Trump administration.In an email sent to some beauty suppliers on Aug. 7, seen by Reuters, the retailer asks if they have facilities outside China, and if not, whether they would consider investing in them, to broaden their sourcing ability.
    Many cosmetics products like shampoos, lipsticks and makeup fall under the most recent list of proposed levies on Chinese goods.

More at: https://finance.yahoo.com/news/walma...--finance.html
    Just more proof of Trumps War on Womenz!

Trump also said that his administration is currently examining how to determine whether countries are manipulating their currencies, while once again accusing China of trying to devalue its currency, and studying whether to finally label China a currency manipulator. "It is a formula," Trump told Bloomberg News in the Oval Office. “And we are looking very strongly at the formula.”
    Trump most recently accused China of manipulating its currency lower during a Reuters interview last week, although that accusation conflicts with the findings of his own administration: in the semi-annual report on foreign-exchange policy, the Treasury Department stopped short of naming China, the EU or any other country as a currency manipulator.
    However, Trump disagreed and said that China has devalued its currency in response to a recent slowdown in its economic growth.
    “They’re trying to make up for lack of business by cutting their currency,” he said. “It’s no good. They can’t do that. That’s not, like, playing on a level playing field.”

More at: https://www.zerohedge.com/news/2018-...devaluing-yuan

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

Trump snatches defeat from the jaws of victory.

I've been told here that Trump's tariff hardball was just a tactic to get other countries to lower their tariffs. He even offered an idea while in Europe to have both sides reduce their tariffs to zero.

Trump got his win. Europe offered to get rid of all tarriffs on cars. Trump rejected it saying "it's not good enough".

Next round of tariffs on China could go into effect next week- September 6th. 25% on another $200 billion worth of goods.

http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthr...h-more-tariffs
    Last edited by Zippyjuan; 08-30-2018 at 07:20 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by axiomata View Post

I've been told here that Trump's tariff hardball was just a tactic to get other countries to lower their tariffs. He even offered an idea while in Europe to have both sides reduce their tariffs to zero.

Trump got his win. Europe offered to get rid of all tarriffs on cars. Trump rejected it saying "it's not good enough".
    It's not good enough, they know their people won't buy many American cars, they need to get rid of all tariffs and non-tariff barriers on anything, that is DJTvsg's goal.

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

Quote Originally Posted by Zippyjuan View Post
    Next round of tariffs on China could go into effect next week- September 6th. 25% on another $200 billion worth of goods.

http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthr...h-more-tariffs

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

Now all that Trump needs to do is get the unfair dictionaries to redefine the words raise, lower, up, and down, and these negotiations will have been a success.
    Pinochet is the model
    Liberty preserving authoritarianism.
    Enforced internal open borders was one of the worst elements of the Constitution.

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    https://www.usatoday.com/story/opini...es/1055050002/

Government picking winners and losers in the economy instead of letting market sort it out.

If it weren’t enough that the Trump administration has slapped tariffs of 25 percent on imported steel and 10 percent on imported aluminum, it has instituted a process by which companies that consume these products can apply for exclusions from these taxes.

In other words, the administration has imposed a new tax on imported metals and then put itself in a position to decide who has to pay it and who does not.

This is Big Government at its worst — arbitrary and capricious, if not outright political, as it picks winners and losers in business. And all this is being done without any new law being passed and while a Republican Congress, which used to stand for free enterprise and limited government, remains supine.

Not surprisingly, many of the 38,901 applications for relief that had been filed as of Monday made pleas designed to appeal to President Donald Trump’s political side.
    Overall, the Commerce Department has ruled on 3,461 requests, finding in the company’s favor in 2,072 instances.

It is all but impossible to conceive of a system more antithetical to the principles of capitalism, or more antithetical to ideals laid out by President Ronald Reagan and other leading lights of the GOP.

Apart from agriculture, which has long been highly subsidized and protected, the federal government has not interfered with commodity markets in such a dramatic way at least since World War II, when the military was given the bulk of limited resources such as petroleum and steel.

The Trump administration’s tariffs are burdensome and punish the companies that use steel and aluminum to make cars, trucks, machine parts, building materials, industrial equipment and more.

For proof of this, look no further than the tens of thousands of pleas for relief and the burgeoning bureaucracy to process them.

Government picking winners and losers in the economy instead of letting market sort it out.
    Which market is that?

https://www.usatoday.com/story/opini...es/1055050002/

There is no free market in international trade, Trump is trying to negotiate one.

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

Oh FFS, just come out and tell the people that the dollar isn't the currency of the world anymore and we need to start focusing on rebuilding this thing. This entire tariff charade is so tiring. It is, however, amazing to watch people cheer for their own reduced standard of living and higher prices for goods they need.

eta: To be clear, I should add that they're cheering under completely false pretenses. Totally being lied to about the causes and effects but obliviously still cheering along as they're promised higher costs for everything. Ending Fed dominance is of course a good thing (though it won't matter since the replacement system is being sold and implemented by the same people) and some of the reforms that become necessary but damn it's just all lies and that's what gets me. I'm so fed up with a society full of just plain lying ass mofos at every turn.
    Last edited by devil21; 08-31-2018 at 03:51 PM.
    "Let it not be said that we did nothing."-Ron Paul

"We have set them on the hobby-horse of an idea about the absorption of individuality by the symbolic unit of COLLECTIVISM. They have never yet and they never will have the sense to reflect that this hobby-horse is a manifest violation of the most important law of nature, which has established from the very creation of the world one unit unlike another and precisely for the purpose of instituting individuality."- A Quote From Some Old Book

Quote Originally Posted by devil21 View Post
    Oh FFS, just come out and tell the people that the dollar isn't the currency of the world anymore and we need to start focusing on rebuilding this thing. This entire tariff charade is so tiring. It is, however, amazing to watch people cheer for their own reduced standard of living and higher prices for goods they need.
    Let's do it by realizing that there is no such thing as global "free trade" and NEVER will be.

Quote Originally Posted by phill4paul View Post
    Let's do it by realizing that there is no such thing as global "free trade" and NEVER will be.
    As long as the same people stay in charge of the monetary and legal systems that control the underpinnings of trade (currency, Uniform Commercial Code, etc) then no there never will be free trade. It wil always be managed trade.

"We have set them on the hobby-horse of an idea about the absorption of individuality by the symbolic unit of COLLECTIVISM. They have never yet and they never will have the sense to reflect that this hobby-horse is a manifest violation of the most important law of nature, which has established from the very creation of the world one unit unlike another and precisely for the purpose of instituting individuality."- A Quote From Some Old Book

It is, however, amazing to watch people cheer for their own reduced standard of living and higher prices for goods they need.
    You are obviously part of the higher economic brackets that benefited from all the good jobs being moved overseas (you have mentioned your Chinese business contacts before), the rest of us had our standard of living go down and if we fight back in the trade war they will go back up, I will not cry if collaborators like you lose a little. (you have more room to fall without being ruined than we did anyway)

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

As long as the same people stay in charge of the monetary and legal systems that control the underpinnings of trade (currency, Uniform Commercial Code, etc) then no there never will be free trade. It wil always be managed trade.
    It will be. There will never be a global revolution. The best you can do is to work locally. For those within the U.S. it means protectionist measures vs. other countries undermining our economy.

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    You are obviously part of the higher economic brackets that benefited from all the good jobs being moved overseas (you have mentioned your Chinese business contacts before), the rest of us had our standard of living go down and if we fight back in the trade war they will go back up, I will not cry if collaborators like you lose a little. (you have more room to fall without being ruined than we did anyway)
    You're so far off in your estimation that I'm not going to bother to debate it. You didn't address my statement, just a personal attack.

It will be. There will never be a global revolution. The best you can do is to work locally. For those within the U.S. it means protectionist measures vs. other countries undermining our economy.
    See, this is exactly what I'm talking about. "Other countries undermining our economy"

Good lord man, haven't you learned anything?? The undermining was by our own government and the bankers that pull their strings. And also pull the strings of the other governments. It was NIXON that led a huge delegation to China that opened up trade with China via currency management when the global dollar needed a new leg to stand on. But by all means, continue to blame the Chinese people for "undermining our economy". That's exactly what they want you to do so you never see the man behind the curtain pulling the levers on all of us.
    Last edited by devil21; 08-31-2018 at 04:08 PM.

You're so far off in your estimation that I'm not going to bother to debate it. You didn't address my statement, just a personal attack.
    I did address your statement, "Free" trade destroyed our living standards, fighting back in the trade war will help repair them.

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

See, this is exactly what I'm talking about. "Other countries undermining our economy"

Good lord man, haven't you learned anything?? The undermining was by our own government and the bankers that pull their strings. And also pull the strings of the other governments. It was NIXON that led a huge delegation to China that opened up trade with China via currency management when the global dollar needed a new leg to stand on. But by all means, continue to blame the Chinese people for "undermining our economy". That's exactly what they want you to do so you never see the man behind the curtain pulling the levers on all of us.
    I see the man behind the curtain. I also see the man behind the curtain operating with impunity by allowing unfair trade practices. Because THAT is where their true wealth lays. Changing that starts in our own back yard. It starts with protectionism.

A crime can have multiple perpetrators dude, you are pointing to one accomplice and attempting to exonerate the rest.

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

I see the man behind the curtain. I also see the man behind the curtain operating with impunity by allowing unfair trade practices. Because THAT is where their true wealth lays. Changing that starts in our own back yard. It starts with protectionism.
    Allowing? Don't you mean facilitating?

THIS PLANET IS A FARM AND YOU AND I LIVE IN ONE THE PENS. THE PEOPLE YOU ACCUSE OF "UNDERMINING OUR ECONOMY" LIVE IN ANOTHER PEN. DOES THE COW ACCUSE THE CHICKEN OF UNDERMINING THE COW'S PASTURE? Or is the truth instead that the farmer tells the cow that the chicken is undermining the cow's pasture, even though the cow never sees the chicken, so the cow eats more and plows harder? That is, until the cow is slaughtered for meat and a new cow is placed in the pasture to start the cycle all over again...
    Last edited by devil21; 08-31-2018 at 09:22 PM.

Allowing? Don't you mean facilitating?

THIS PLANET IS A FARM AND YOU AND I LIVE IN ONE THE PENS. THE PEOPLE YOU ACCUSE OF "UNDERMINING OUR ECONOMY" LIVE IN ANOTHER PEN. DOES THE COW ACCUSE THE CHICKEN OF UNDERMINING THE COW'S PASTURE? Or is the truth instead that the farmer tells the cow that the chicken is undermining the cow's pasture, even though the cow never sees the chicken, so the cow eats more and plows harder? That is, until the cow is slaughtered for meat and a new cow is placed in the pasture to start the cycle all over again...
    Turns out that the cows are not interested in making their lives better, only making sure that their lives are better than the chickens' lives.
    Pinochet is the model
    Enforced internal open borders was one of the worst elements of the Constitution.

Another day, another whopper of a tariff. The Trump administration has been busy finalizing the rulemaking process to put 25 percent tariffs on $200 billion of Chinese goods, which will almost certainly affect the prices of many critical technology components and have on-going repercussions for Silicon Valley supply chains. That followed the implementation of tariffs on $50 billion of goods earlier this year.

Now, President Trump, as reported by reporters on Air Force One this morning, has said that he is prepared to triple down on his tariffs strategy, saying that he is ready to add tariffs to another $267 billion worth of Chinese goods. Although the president has a flair for the dramatic in many of his policies, the China tariffs are one arena in which his rhetoric has matched the actions of his administration.

More at: https://techcrunch.com/2018/09/07/tr...na/?yptr=yahoo

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

Another day, another whopper of a tariff.
    Woo, taxes! Party!
    Pinochet is the model

28. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    He needs to make China play fair or collapse during his administration and they have been waging a trade war against us for decades.
    And as you say the MSM would be against him anyway.
    Aggressive action is called for.

Aggressive action is called for?

Because the Fed has been abolished?

This is Ron Paul Forums not Ron Paul Flinches.

Last edited by bunklocoempire; 09-08-2018 at 02:58 PM.
    Fear of man will prove to be a snare, but whoever trusts in the LORD is kept safe. Proverbs 29:25
    "I think the propaganda machine is the biggest problem that we face today in trying to get the truth out to people."
    Ron Paul

Please watch, subscribe, like, & share, Ron Paul Liberty Report
    BITCHUTE IS A LIBERTY MINDED ALTERNATIVE TO GOOGLE SUBSIDIARY YOUTUBE

Quote Originally Posted by axiomata View Post

I think that should be a clue that it's not really about tariffs. Tariffs are just a cover story for ongoing currency revaluations (destructions, really) and how those revaluations affect trade, namely the prices of goods domestically.

Always remember that they NEVER tell you the truth about ANYTHING, especially when it's related to money.
    Last edited by devil21; 09-08-2018 at 02:47 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by TheCount View Post
    Woo, taxes! Party!

What? Reducing the standard of living of the poor and middle class here in yhe US isn't cause for celebration? Who knew?
    Chris

"Government ... does not exist of necessity, but rather by virtue of a tragic, almost comical combination of klutzy, opportunistic terrorism against sitting ducks whom it pretends to shelter, plus our childish phobia of responsibility, praying to be exempted from the hard reality of life on life's terms." Wolf DeVoon

"...Make America Great Again. I'm interested in making American FREE again. Then the greatness will come automatically."Ron Paul

Quote Originally Posted by CCTelander View Post
    What? Reducing the standard of living of the poor and middle class here in yhe US isn't cause for celebration? Who knew?
    That is what not fighting back in the trade wars has done.

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

Quote Originally Posted by bunklocoempire View Post

Aggressive action is called for?

Because the Fed has been abolished?

This is Ron Paul Forums not Ron Paul Flinches.

Ron is half right, we do need to cut government but we also need to fight back in the trade wars.

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

Quote Originally Posted by CCTelander View Post
    That's been done now for decades. Starting with the original NAFTA deal. Believe what you want but the availability of gainful employment, in my area, has never been better. A local manufacturer is offering $18/hr. starting with a $1500 bonus after 3 months. 4 yrs. ago that was unheard of. Most manufacturers offering $12 and some laying off/ early retirement of 700+ employees. Perhaps the poor just need to go and get a job to afford the increase instead of living on government assistance and cheap $#@!?

Page 9 of 38 FirstFirst ... 789101119 ... LastLast