Thread: Putin: Leader in Artificial Intelligence Will Rule The World

Putin: Leader in Artificial Intelligence Will Rule The World

http://www.houstonchronicle.com/busi...l-12166704.php

MOSCOW (AP) — Russian President Vladimir Putin says that whoever reaches a breakthrough in developing artificial intelligence will come to dominate the world.

Putin, speaking Friday at a meeting with students, said the development of AI raises "colossal opportunities and threats that are difficult to predict now."

He warned that "the one who becomes the leader in this sphere will be the ruler of the world."

Putin warned that "it would be strongly undesirable if someone wins a monopolist position" and promised that Russia would be ready to share its know-how in artificial intelligence with other nations.

The Russian leader predicted that future wars will be fought by drones, and "when one party's drones are destroyed by drones of another, it will have no other choice but to surrender."
    He and Elon Musk sound like they are on the same page here... I think he is arguing for international cooperation in this area because he knows his country is not the one leading on the AI front.... that trophy currently belongs to the US. And if the US develops General AI and then Advanced AI... the game is over.
    There are only two things we should fight for. One is the defense of our homes and the other is the Bill of Rights. War for any other reason is simply a racket.
    -Major General Smedley Butler, USMC,
    Two-Time Congressional Medal of Honor Winner
    Author of, War is a Racket!

It is not that I am mad, it is only that my head is different from yours.
    - Diogenes of Sinope

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by jllundqu View Post
    http://www.houstonchronicle.com/busi...l-12166704.php

He and Elon Musk sound like they are on the same page here... I think he is arguing for international cooperation in this area because he knows his country is not the one leading on the AI front.... that trophy currently belongs to the US. And if the US develops General AI and then Advanced AI... the game is over.
    sigh.

Quote Originally Posted by goldenequity View Post
    sigh.
    What kind of sigh?

Like "Sigh his analysis is all wrong" or "Sigh... we're all screwed."
    There are only two things we should fight for. One is the defense of our homes and the other is the Bill of Rights. War for any other reason is simply a racket.
    -Major General Smedley Butler, USMC,
    Two-Time Congressional Medal of Honor Winner
    Author of, War is a Racket!

It is not that I am mad, it is only that my head is different from yours.
    - Diogenes of Sinope

What kind of sigh?

Like "Sigh his analysis is all wrong" or "Sigh... we're all screwed."
    ^^^^^^^^^^

Putin: Leader in Artificial Intelligence Will Rule The World
    I don't know if Putin is an authority on artificial intelligence, I would argue that what most people consider artificial intelligence would be considered more like a smart phone then a brain. I think of ai as a pipe dream, that if ever achieved would mean endless possibilities. We won't go to war over this dumb rock when we have better intelligence... Every time a new tool, a new technology comes life gets better, there are always people crying about change, but those are the people who make it to where we still have to have a post office when everyone has email.

Quote Originally Posted by nikcers View Post
    We won't go to war over this dumb rock when we have better intelligence...
    Better for whom? AI takes social programming to another order, its too soon to call this pipe dream better. If this "better intelligence" leads me to believe Earth is a dumb rock, I want nothing to do with better intelligence.

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by Raginfridus View Post
    Better for whom? AI takes social programming to another order, its too soon to call this pipe dream better. If this "better intelligence" leads me to believe Earth is a dumb rock, I want nothing to do with better intelligence.
    Really, water everywhere that we can't drink and you want to kill yourself over the leftover beer that will spoil in a few thousand years? What happens when a comet hits the earth, there is evidence of it happening, and what happened afterwards, wouldn't you like to have a Earth B, or do you want to cold war underground for thousands of years? Yes new technologies can be used for good and bad things and exploited, that doesn't mean we should hide in caves. AI won't look or feel like you think it will.

Quote Originally Posted by nikcers View Post
    Really, water everywhere that we can't drink and you want to kill yourself over the leftover beer that will spoil in a few thousand years? What happens when a comet hits the earth, there is evidence of it happening, and what happened afterwards, wouldn't you like to have a Earth B, or do you want to cold war underground for thousands of years? Yes new technologies can be used for good and bad things and exploited, that doesn't mean we should hide in caves. AI won't look or feel like you think it will.
    What? I don't know what you mean by AI's look or feel. AI isn't just a new technology, like a smaller processor, it could change sentience itself - that means treading very, very carefully. If you haven't asked yourself, "who's programming the programmers", then you aren't taking AI's implications seriously. If you don't like censorship now, you have an interest in being skeptical.

And how about I ask you, if you want to kill yourself? I think I have more reason for asking, as miserable as the dumb rock must be for you. You can't drink the water, you live in fear of comets, and there is no Earth B available to you. Do you want to talk? I wouldn't be loading questions you can't handle, asking people if they'd like to cold war underground, when you're the one who's loose with criticizing the planet.

(Before you load another one, no. I'm not arguing against looking for Earth B, or Q, or Z95XG.)
    Last edited by Raginfridus; 09-01-2017 at 11:16 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Raginfridus View Post
    What? I don't know what you mean by AI's look or feel. AI isn't just a new technology, like a smaller processor, it could change sentience itself - that means treading very, very carefully. If you haven't asked yourself, "who's programming the programmers", then you aren't taking AI's implications seriously. If you don't like censorship now, you have an interest in being skeptical.

And how about I ask you, if you want to kill yourself? I think I have more reason for asking, as miserable as the dumb rock must be for you. You can't drink the water, you live in fear of comets, and there is no Earth B available to you. Do you want to talk? I wouldn't be loading questions you can't handle, asking people if they'd like to cold war underground, when you're the one who's loose with criticizing the planet.

(Before you load another one, no. I'm not arguing against looking for Earth B, or Q, or Z95XG.)
    Really, just like any technology it will seem like magic when you don't understand it. We do not possess real AI, that was Putin's point, he looks at everything as a weapon he is part of the Russian military industrial complex, he has the mind of a spy. We don't know that there isn't another earth because we don't know what we don't know. A real artificial intelligence could look at the sky and tell us something we don't know, we could spend eternity counting the stars looking for patterns, a more advantaged intelligence would hone in on it. Real AI means there are no language barriers, there is no miscommunication between one another. The real way to look at technology as an extension of man to help us with our short falls, I would be no where without my spectacles.