Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Trump says Rex Tillerson out as Secretary of State, replaced by Mike Pompeo

Jan2017

Quote Originally Posted by Swordsmyth View Post
    Interesting: The new CIA Director Haspel, who "tortured some folks," probably can't travel to the EU to meet other spy chiefs without facing arrest due to an @ECCHRBerlin complaint to Germany's federal prosecutor. Details: https://t.co/7q4euQKtm7
    — Edward Snowden (@Snowden) March 13, 2018

More at: https://www.infowars.com/snowden-cri...rture-program/

The American CIA Director will be arrested in Germany for war crimes.

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by AZJoe View Post
    PCR:

The firing of Secretary of State Tillerson, the movement of CIA Director Pompeo to Secretary of State, and the promotion of Gina Haspel, who oversaw the secret CIA torture prisons in Thailand, indicate that the military/security complex has closed its grip on the Trump regime. There will be no more talk of normalizing relations with Russia.

The combination of the Israel Lobby, the neoconservatives, and the military/security complex have proven to be too powerful for peace to be established between the two nuclear powers. … Israel remains determined to use the US military to destabilize Syria and Iran … The neoconservatives both support Israel’s interest and their own desire for Washington’s hegemony over the world. The military/security complex intends to hold on to the “Russia threat” as a justification of its budget and power.

The presstitutes are in complete harmony with the scheme. … Russiagate has been proven to be false charges orchestrated by the DNC, FBI, and CIA, the presstitutes continue to repeat the charges … now we have a new charge, that Putin ordered a former British spy in England to be eliminated while sitting on a park bench with the use of a highly unlikely form of military poison. The charge is preposterous, but that is not preventing the fiction from becoming fact.

Having served in Washington for a quarter century and having known members of the British government, I do not believe that any of them believe the Russiagate and Skripal poisoning stories. What is happening is that an agenda has taken precedence over truth.

This is an extremely dangerous agenda. Russia’s new weapons easily give Russia military superiority over the US. As China and Iran see the situation similarly to the Russians, the US is greatly out-classed. Yet, Washington and its vassals persist in making violent and false charges … Confronting an endless string of false and hostile charges, they prepare for war.

The world is being driven to war, which would be nuclear, by a tiny minority: Israeli Zionists, neoconservatives, and the US military/security complex. We are witnessing the most reckless and irresponsible behavior in world history. …
    I $#@!ing love PCR. Can I say $#@! here? I just skimmed the article so I didn't notice if he used the word insouciant this time...

Quote Originally Posted by goldenequity View Post
    Great analysis. thnx 4 posting...
    (why does that guy look like Paul Simon??? Is it just the haircut??? hahaha)
    Paul Simmon? More like Alex Jones

Quote Originally Posted by Vieux Canard View Post
    Can I say $#@! here?
    Ya, but it will look something like f#$^ to most people unless they disable their profanity filter in their settings.
    "He's talkin' to his gut like it's a person!!" -me
    "dumpster diving isn't professional." - angelatc
    "You don't need a medical degree to spot obvious bullshit, that's actually a separate skill." -Scott Adams
    "When you are divided, and angry, and controlled, you target those 'different' from you, not those responsible [controllers]" -Q

"Each of us must choose which course of action we should take: education, conventional political action, or even peaceful civil disobedience to bring about necessary changes. But let it not be said that we did nothing." - Ron Paul

"Paul said "the wave of the future" is a coalition of anti-authoritarian progressive Democrats and libertarian Republicans in Congress opposed to domestic surveillance, opposed to starting new wars and in favor of ending the so-called War on Drugs."

Quote Originally Posted by juleswin View Post
    Paul Simmon? More like Alex Jones

I was talking about the host/interviewer.... not Pompeo (yea.. HE does look like AJ lolz)
    Last edited by goldenequity; 03-16-2018 at 06:14 AM.

"Let it not be said that we did nothing." - Dr. Ron Paul. "Stand up for what you believe in, even if you are standing alone." - Sophie Magdalena Scholl
    "War is the health of the State." - Randolph Bourne "Freedom is the answer. ... Now, what's the question?" - Ernie Hancock.

8. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Jan2017

Moving to a war footing or posturing in the "Top State" . . . (?)

Obama never got rid of Secretary Clinton, which would have destroyed her ambitions at that time
    that her true colors were being shown

From Liberty Blitzkrieg:

Here’s the bottom line. As I outlined multiple times last year, Trump is determined to have a war with Iran and Rex Tillerson was standing in the way. Putting unhinged war hawk Pompeo in place as Secretary of State is simply Trump getting his ducks in a row ahead of confrontation. Watch as the sales pitch for another war in the Middle East picks up considerably in the months ahead. …

I believe this forthcoming war against Iran will have almost no international support. … just autocratic regimes in the Middle East like Saudi Arabia and the UAE, as well as Israel and possibly the UK … The rest of the world will be against it, which will lead to spectacular failure. ...
    Such a confrontation is now increasingly likely with Tillerson out of the picture
    Gregor Peter
    TRUMP: IRAN BEHIND EVERY PROBLEM IN THE MIDDLE EAST

=========

tidbit..

BNO News
    Trump is considering to fire Veterans Affairs Secretary David Shulkin and replace him with Energy Secretary Rick Perry, sources say - NYT

"Let it not be said that we did nothing." - Dr. Ron Paul. "Stand up for what you believe in, even if you are standing alone." - Sophie Magdalena Scholl
    "War is the health of the State." - Randolph Bourne "Freedom is the answer. ... Now, what's the question?" - Ernie Hancock.

Sci Fi author had an interesting take on the change in Sec of State :

https://www.facebook.com/thedavidbri...s/819300408286

Here comes war. Everyone watch for the coming Tonkin Gulf "incident," staged in the Straits of Hormuz. Or Gleiwitz Incident, or Reichstag Fire... whatever trumped up excuse to rationalize war. Elsewhere I've cited all the reasons why every tyrant on Earth, including the Iranian Mullahs, wants a US-Iran tomahawk tiff, followed by the real Master stepping in. But DT may need a bigger distraction. Something more violent. If it happens, come here for recommendations. SPREAD AWARENESS OF THIS POSSIBILITY FAR AND WIDE. Nothing else stands a chance of preventing it.
    “…let us teach them that all who draw breath are of equal worth, and that those who seek to press heel upon the throat of liberty, will fall to the cry of FREEDOM!!!” – Spartacus, War of the Damned

BTC: 1AFbCLYU3G1dkbsSJnk3spWeEwpqYVC2Pq

Quote Originally Posted by kpitcher View Post
    Sci Fi author had an interesting take on the change in Sec of State :

https://www.facebook.com/thedavidbri...s/819300408286

Here comes war. Everyone watch for the coming Tonkin Gulf "incident," staged in the Straits of Hormuz. Or Gleiwitz Incident, or Reichstag Fire... whatever trumped up excuse to rationalize war. Elsewhere I've cited all the reasons why every tyrant on Earth, including the Iranian Mullahs, wants a US-Iran tomahawk tiff, followed by the real Master stepping in. But DT may need a bigger distraction. Something more violent. If it happens, come here for recommendations. SPREAD AWARENESS OF THIS POSSIBILITY FAR AND WIDE. Nothing else stands a chance of preventing it.
    great writer, I may have to reread the postman, as its been a few decades.

Quote Originally Posted by Firestarter View Post
    Another one fired for a distraction?!?

Trump has named Gina Haspel as the new director of the CIA. Haspel was Pompeo’s deputy and will become the first woman to serve as CIA director.

From 2003 to 2005, Gina Haspel was a senior official overseeing the top-secret CIA torture program RDI (Rendition, Detention, and Interrogation) that included waterboarding, sleep deprivation, and squeezing into coffins of terror suspects. RDI also kidnapped suspects and delivered them to third-party countries to do the dirty work.

In 2002, Haspel was present at a CIA black site in Thailand when Abu Zubaydah and al-Nashiri were tortured. The torture of Zubaydah was especially horrible and included waterboarding 83 times. At one time he appeared to be dead and doctors “revived” him. Because of the brutal abuse, Zubaydah lost sight in his left eye.
    In 2005, Haspel and her superior Jose Rodriguez decided to destroy the videotapes of the interrogations of Zubaydah and al-Nashiri to prevent Congress from seeing them.

In 2009, President Obama ordered the closure of the black sites, where torture (in violation with the Geneva convention) was common: https://www.newyorker.com/news/news-...lack-site-past
    What a great role model. Every young girl should aspire to be like her. If I had a daughter, I'd be advising her to look up to her.

The report noted that when Trump abruptly accepted an invitation for face-to-face talks with North Korean leader Kim Jong Un, it contradicted what Tillerson, who was traveling in Africa, told reporters a day earlier, namely, that the United States was “a long ways from negotiations” with Pyongyang.
    Trump said that he hadn’t discussed the idea in advance with Tillerson, explaining, “Rex wasn’t, as you know, in this country. I made that decision by myself.”
    A more believable explanation is that Trump knew Tillerson was opposed to the idea so Trump just kept him out of the loop. Pompeo, in contrast, defended the president's decision.

Another point of disagreement between Trump and Tillerson was the Iran deal. NPR noted that Pompeo, like the president, has been a fierce critic of the Iran deal, saying it doesn’t go far enough in dismantling Tehran's nuclear program and that it’s not permanent.
    Another area where Tillerson and Pompeo disagree is Trump’s recent decision to impose tariffs on steel and aluminum. Tillerson was among the advisers who reportedly tried, unsuccessfully, to talk the president out of imposing the tariffs.

However, Pompeo defended the president’s decision in an interview with Fox News Sunday, especially with regard to China, the country widely blamed for the glut of steel and aluminum on the world market.

Pompeo — despite his drawbacks, which we’ll examine in a moment — is not as committed an internationalist as Tillerson. In an article last December, we noted:
    Tillerson’s removal would be heartily applauded by all supporters of Trump’s “America First” inclination, since Tillerson clearly represents the opposite orientation, especially as it relates to that ultimate bastion of world government internationalism, the Council on Foreign Relations (CFR). We noted last March in our report on the Trump-Tillerson adoption of Communist Beijing’s “One China” doctrine (slamming our Free China ally, Taiwan) and the administration’s support of expanded U.S.-China “trade” (More Dangerous China Trade? Globalist Push vs. Trump Promise) that Tillerson, “while not a CFR member, has nonetheless been active as a speaker and participant at CFR events, a search of the Council’s website shows.” Moreover, “he has been endorsed or given high marks by CFR heavyweights and China Lobby stalwarts such as Henry Kissinger, Condoleezza Rice, Stephen Hadley, and Dick Cheney. All of these developments stack up as decidedly unfavorable signs for those who are expecting (or hoping for) major reversals in our decades of disastrous policies regarding China.”

In his maiden speech before the Council, on March 9, 2007, Tillerson stated, “Although this is my first time speaking at the Council on Foreign Relations, from a historical perspective, it feels a little bit like home.” So although Tillerson is not a CFR member, for all practical purposes, he shares in their internationalist philosophy. It is this philosophy that has dominated U.S. foreign policy since the end of World War II, leading our nation into undeclared wars in Korea, Vietnam, and the Middle East.

The day before we wrote about Tillerson, we profiled Pompeo in another article, “Trump May Replace Rex Tillerson With Hawkish Mike Pompeo to Head State.” In that article, we cited a report in The New American from November 2016, written just after Trump nominated him to head the CIA. The article noted that “in many ways, Pompeo is a strongly conservative Republican,” but “in the areas over which his CIA directorship will be more relevant, Pompeo cannot be classified as a defender of various constitutional safeguards of civil liberties.” That observation was based on Pompeo’s support of the surveillance programs of the National Security Agency (NSA), saying they do “good and important work.” In February 2016, Pompeo said that whistleblower Edward Snowden “should be brought back from Russia and given due process, and I think the proper outcome would be that he would be given a death sentence.”

Another area of criticism noted in that article is especially relevant to Pompeo’s anticipated role at the head of the State Department:
    In May [2016] [Pompeo] voted against an effort to repeal the 2001 Authorization for Use of Military Force (AUMF), which had authorized President George W. Bush to invade Iraq. The results of this open-ended military force authorization illustrates a reason to oppose mere congressional authorizations, rather war declarations. Congress chose to leave it up to the president whether to use military force in Iraq, instead of a more specific declaration of war. This unconstitutional delegation to the president of the congressional power to declare war is why the AUMF is still in effect, 15 years later. [Emphasis in original.]

For the constitutionalist hoping that the unlimited war powers ceded to former presidents might be withdrawn under Trump, the prospect of having a supporter of the AUMF heading the State Department is not promising. It portends yet more unbridled interventionism.

More at: https://www.thenewamerican.com/usnew...ry-hawk-pompeo
    Never attempt to teach a pig to sing; it wastes your time and annoys the pig.

Robert Heinlein

Give a man an inch and right away he thinks he's a ruler

Groucho Marx

I love mankind…it’s people I can’t stand.

Linus, from the Peanuts comic

You cannot have liberty without morality and morality without faith

Alexis de Torqueville

Those who fail to learn from the past are condemned to repeat it.
    Those who learn from the past are condemned to watch everybody else repeat it

A Zero Hedge comment

Jan2017

Secretary of State Tillerson has delegated his functions to Deputy Secretary of State John Sullivan
    until he officially leaves office on March 31 midnight.

17. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    I stand with Rand on this.
    “The spirits of darkness are now among us. We have to be on guard so that we may realize what is happening when we encounter them and gain a real idea of where they are to be found. The most dangerous thing you can do in the immediate future will be to give yourself up unconsciously to the influences which are definitely present.” ~ Rudolf Steiner

Good quote from AntiWar:

"When Americans see Trump seemingly taking measures to gut the State Department and emphasize a more aggressive form of diplomacy, then go on to appoint someone like Mike Pompeo to Secretary of State, one may think that Trump is single handedly destroying the integrity of the US State Department. I think this comes from the mistaken view that the State Department had any sort of integrity in the first place."

CIA Whistle-blower John Kiriakou on torture demoness Bloody Gina Haspel,

Gina Haspel was referred as by some at the agency as "Bloody Gina". “Gina and people like Gina did it, I think, because they enjoyed doing it. They tortured just for the sake of torture, not for the sake of gathering information.”

John Kiriakou interview

Washington Elite Embrace Nuremberg Defense in support of Gina Haspel

The Nuremberg judges rejected the Nuremberg defense ... The United Nations International Law Commission later codified the underlying principle from Nuremberg as “the fact that a person acted pursuant to order of his Government or of a superior does not relieve him from responsibility under international law, provided a moral choice was in fact possible to him.” This is likely the most famous declaration in the history of international law and is as settled as anything possibly can be. …

However, many members of the Washington, D.C. elite are now stating that it, in fact, is a legitimate defense for American officials who violate international law to claim they were just following orders. Specifically, they say Gina Haspel, a top CIA officer whom President Donald Trump has designated to be the agency’s next director, bears no responsibility for the torture she supervised during George W. Bush’s administration.

Haspel oversaw a secret “black site” in Thailand, at which prisoners were waterboarded and subjected to other severe forms of abuse. Haspel later participated in the destruction of the CIA’s videotapes of some of its torture sessions. There is informed speculation that … these records … showed [not only torture, but] operatives employing torture to generate false “intelligence” used to justify the invasion of Iraq. …

Haspel was known to some at the agency as “Bloody Gina” … “Gina and people like Gina did it, I think, because they enjoyed doing it. They tortured just for the sake of torture, not for the sake of gathering information.” …

Some of Haspel’s champions have used the exact language of the popular version of the Nuremberg defense, while others have paraphrased it. …

Michael Hayden, former director of both the CIA and the National Security Agency. In a Wednesday op-ed, … endorsed Haspel as head of the CIA, writing that “Haspel did nothing more and nothing less than what the nation and the agency asked her to do, and she did it well.” [“Just following orders”] … on Twitter that Haspel’s actions were “consistent with U.S. law as interpreted by the department of justice.” … [referring to] notorious memos that it was legal for the U.S. to engage in “enhanced interrogation techniques” that were obviously torture. Of course, the actions of the Nuremberg defendants had also been “legal” under German law.

John Brennan, who ran the CIA under President Barack Obama, … [also embraced the Nurenberg Defense, saying] that its torture program was legal …

Texas Republican Rep. Will Hurd used the precise language of the Nuremberg defense … “She was following orders. … She implemented orders and was doing her job.” … Notably, Blitzer did not have any follow-up questions for Hurd about his jarring comments.

The U.N. Convention Against Torture, which was transmitted to the Senate by Ronald Reagan in 1988, states that “no exceptional circumstances whatsoever, whether a state of war or a threat or war, internal political instability or any other public emergency, may be invoked as a justification of torture.”

Samantha Winograd, who served on President Obama’s National Security Council and now is an analyst for CNN, likewise used Nuremberg defense … she said, “was implementing the lawful orders of the president. … she was following orders.” …

Rich Lowry, editor of National Review, who issued a ringing defense of Haspel in Politico, claiming she was merely acting “in response to what she was told were lawful orders.”

Remarkably, this perspective has even seeped into the viewpoint of regular journalists. At a recent press conference at which Kentucky Republican Sen. Rand Paul criticized Haspel, a reporter asked him to respond to “the counterargument” that “these policies were signed off by the Bush administration. … They were considered lawful at the time.” … It fell to Paul to make the obvious observation … “This has been historically a question we’ve asked in every war: Is there a point at which soldiers say ‘no’? … Horrendous things happened in World War II, and people said, well, the German soldiers were just obeying orders. … I think there’s a point at which, even suffering repercussions, that if someone asks you to torture someone that you should say no.”
    Last edited by AZJoe; 03-15-2018 at 11:57 AM.

CIA Whistle-blower John Kiriakou on torture demoness Bloody Gina Haspel,

Gina Haspel was referred as by some at the agency as "Bloody Gina". “Gina and people like Gina did it, I think, because they enjoyed doing it. They tortured just for the sake of torture, not for the sake of gathering information.”

John Kiriakou interview

How can anyone of good conscience continue to support a man who would nomonate a person of this low caliber for anything other than a prison cell?
    Chris

"Government ... does not exist of necessity, but rather by virtue of a tragic, almost comical combination of klutzy, opportunistic terrorism against sitting ducks whom it pretends to shelter, plus our childish phobia of responsibility, praying to be exempted from the hard reality of life on life's terms." Wolf DeVoon

"...Make America Great Again. I'm interested in making American FREE again. Then the greatness will come automatically."Ron Paul

Quote Originally Posted by timosman View Post

That's a relief.
    Pfizer Macht Frei!

Openly Straight Man, Danke, Awarded Top Rated Influencer. Community Standards Enforcer.

Quiz: Test Your "Income" Tax IQ!

Short Income Tax Video

The Income Tax Is An Excise, And Excise Taxes Are Privilege Taxes

The Federalist Papers, No. 15:

Except as to the rule of appointment, the United States have an indefinite discretion to make requisitions for men and money; but they have no authority to raise either by regulations extending to the individual citizens of America.

Quote Originally Posted by Danke View Post
    That's a relief.
    She apparently wasn't aware of POTUS covering for her.

26. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    From RPI:

Do you remember when those first photographs from the US-controlled prison in Abu Ghraib, Iraq came out? … piles of naked men as torturers looked on with smiles … prisoners covered in feces, the horrible "statue man" …The final bit of evidence that President Bush's war on Iraq had nothing to do with democracy or freedom or keeping America safe, but in fact was the result of a blast of sadistic national psychosis brought about by the incessant neocon lies run through the constant droning on of the mainstream media. A media whose sole purpose seems to be serving as a conveyor belt for government propaganda. …

President Obama decided that no one from the Bush era should pay for their crimes …

Gina Haspel, was, according to former CIA officer John Kiriakou, the “handpicked warden of the first secret prison the CIA created to handle al-Qaida detainees.” … Haspel not only helped design the notorious torture techniques … not only supervised the torture techniques … but she actually appeared to take pleasure in -- to enjoy -- the torture of others. …

Abu Zubaydah was one of Haspel's victims. He was captured in a raid in Pakistan in March 2002, and was shot in his leg and groin. The CIA claimed he was one of al-Qaeda's top leaders. They were wrong. …

Haspel took delight in the torture of Zubaydah. He was waterboarded 83 times in a single month. His head was repeatedly slammed against a wall; he was confined for hours in a coffin-like box and deprived him of sleep for days. He suffered sexual abuse and humiliation under her authority. [Haspel] watched on as "Zubaydah vomited, passed out and urinated on himself while shackled. During one waterboarding session, Zubaydah lost consciousness and bubbles began gurgling from his mouth."

Did she stop the torturers as Zubaydah lay near death (and as the interrogators had already determined that he had nothing to offer by way of information)? No, she did not. In a book written by one of the interrogators, she walked up to him and “congratulated him on the fine quality of his acting.” As the victim was near death she sneered at him, “Good job! I like the way you’re drooling; it adds realism. I’m almost buying it. You wouldn’t think a grown man would do that.

Haspel knew her crimes … so she simply covered them up. She ordered all evidence -- some 92 videotapes -- of the torture to be destroyed. … This is the monster that President Trump has tapped to lead the CIA.

We can only applaud Senator Paul's determination to block this appointment and encourage others to urge their Senators to follow his lead. What is left of the moral conscience of the United States is at stake.
    Last edited by AZJoe; 03-15-2018 at 03:28 PM.

From RPI:

Do you remember when those first photographs from the US-controlled prison in Abu Ghraib, Iraq came out? … piles of naked men as torturers looked on with smiles … prisoners covered in feces, the horrible "statue man" …The final bit of evidence that President Bush's war on Iraq had nothing to do with democracy or freedom or keeping America safe, but in fact was the result of a blast of sadistic national psychosis brought about by the incessant neocon lies run through the constant droning on of the mainstream media. A media whose sole purpose seems to be serving as a conveyor belt for government propaganda. …

President Obama decided that no one from the Bush era should pay for their crimes …

Gina Haspel, was, according to former CIA officer John Kiriakou, the “handpicked warden of the first secret prison the CIA created to handle al-Qaida detainees.” … Haspel not only helped design the notorious torture techniques … not only supervised the torture techniques … but she actually appeared to take pleasure in -- to enjoy -- the torture of others. …

Abu Zubaydah was one of Haspel's victims. He was captured in a raid in Pakistan in March 2002, and was shot in his leg and groin. The CIA claimed he was one of al-Qaeda's top leaders. They were wrong. …

Haspel took delight in the torture of Zubaydah. He was waterboarded 83 times in a single month. His head was repeatedly slammed against a wall; he was confined for hours in a coffin-like box and deprived him of sleep for days. He suffered sexual abuse and humiliation under her authority. [Haspel] watched on as "Zubaydah vomited, passed out and urinated on himself while shackled. During one waterboarding session, Zubaydah lost consciousness and bubbles began gurgling from his mouth."
    Did she stop the torturers as Zubaydah lay near death (and as the interrogators had already determined that he had nothing to offer by way of information)? No, she did not. In a book written by one of the interrogators, she walked up to him and “congratulated him on the fine quality of his acting.” As the victim was near death she sneered at him, “Good job! I like the way you’re drooling; it adds realism. I’m almost buying it. You wouldn’t think a grown man would do that.

Haspel knew her crimes … so she simply covered them up. She ordered all evidence -- some 92 videotapes -- of the torture to be destroyed. … This is the monster that President Trump has tapped to lead the CIA.

We can only applaud Senator Paul's determination to block this appointment and encourage others to urge their Senators to follow his lead. What is left of the moral conscience of the United States is at stake.

What is left of the moral conscience of the United States is at stake.

IS there any moral conscience left?
    Chris

"Government ... does not exist of necessity, but rather by virtue of a tragic, almost comical combination of klutzy, opportunistic terrorism against sitting ducks whom it pretends to shelter, plus our childish phobia of responsibility, praying to be exempted from the hard reality of life on life's terms." Wolf DeVoon

"...Make America Great Again. I'm interested in making American FREE again. Then the greatness will come automatically."Ron Paul

From The Hill:
    This puts Democrats in a potentially powerful position to swing Haspel’s confirmation.
    Yet early signs suggest that the minority is prepared to offer support, despite her controversial record, fierce opposition from human rights activists and the fact that she is a Trump nominee.
    The top Democrat on the Senate Intelligence Committee, Sen. Mark Warner (D-Va.), on Wednesday cited a “very good working relationship” with Haspel, currently the agency’s deputy director. Sen. Joe Manchin (W.Va.), a red-state Democrat who also sits on the Intelligence panel, said he was “very much open-minded.”
    Even one of the Senate’s harshest critics of “enhanced interrogation techniques” and the architect of the so-called torture report, Sen. Dianne Feinstein (D-Calif.), signaled a surprisingly open reception to Haspel that could pull others off the fence.
    “We’ve had dinner together. We have talked. Everything I know is she has been a good deputy director,” Feinstein said on Tuesday, adding, “I think, hopefully, the entire organization learned something from the so-called enhanced interrogation program.”
    Feinstein in 2013 blocked Haspel’s promotion to run clandestine operations at the agency over her role in interrogations at a CIA “black site” prison and the destruction of videotapes documenting the waterboarding sessions of an al Qaeda suspect there.
    Did you catch that? Feinstein blocked Haspel in 2013, but now, under Trump, she’s open to an even bigger promotion.
    A few lawmakers have come out in opposition to Haspel – most prominently Paul and Sens. Ron Wyden (D-Ore.) and Elizabeth Warren (D-Mass.) – but it’s unclear how much influence they will wield. Senate Minority Leader Charles Schumer (D-N.Y.) said Tuesday that he is not whipping votes to oppose Haspel.
    Ladies and gentlemen, meet “the resistance.”
    It’d be funny if it wasn’t so sad.

To be fair, Schumer does have some concerns with regard to Pompeo. He might not be belligerent enough toward Russia.
    But Democrats stressed on Tuesday that their previous support for Pompeo did not automatically mean they would support him to be secretary of State.
    Schumer noted he wants to know if the former House member will be tougher on Russia if he’s confirmed to be the country’s top diplomat.
    You seriously can’t make this stuff up. Also, don’t forget that 14 Democrats supported Pompeo for CIA director back in 2016, and Democrats also supported increased surveillance state spying powers late last year. I find it fascinating that when it comes to mass surveillance and torture, suddenly the Democrats don’t want to “resist.”
    Meanwhile, across the Washington D.C. cesspool hordes of “respected leaders” are vigorously defending Gina Haspel using the same defense used by actual Nazi war criminals after WWII.
    From The Intercept:
    During the Nuremberg Trials after World War II, several Nazis, including top German generals Alfred Jodl and Wilhelm Keitel, claimed they were not guilty of the tribunal’s charges because they had been acting at the directive of their superiors.
    Ever since, this justification has been popularly known as the “Nuremberg defense,” in which the accused states they were “only following orders.”
    The Nuremberg judges rejected the Nuremberg defense, and both Jodl and Keitel were hanged. The United Nations International Law Commission later codified the underlying principle from Nuremberg as “the fact that a person acted pursuant to order of his Government or of a superior does not relieve him from responsibility under international law, provided a moral choice was in fact possible to him.”
    This is likely the most famous declaration in the history of international law and is as settled as anything possibly can be.
    However, many members of the Washington, D.C. elite are now stating that it, in fact, is a legitimate defense for American officials who violate international law to claim they were just following orders…
    Haspel oversaw a secret “black site” in Thailand, at which prisoners were waterboarded and subjected to other severe forms of abuse. Haspel later participated in the destruction of the CIA’s videotapes of some of its torture sessions. There is informed speculation that part of the CIA’s motivation for destroying these records may have been that they showed operatives employing torture to generate false “intelligence” used to justify the invasion of Iraq.
    John Kiriakou, a former CIA operative who helped capture many Al Qaeda prisoners, recently said that Haspel was known to some at the agency as “Bloody Gina” and that “Gina and people like Gina did it, I think, because they enjoyed doing it. They tortured just for the sake of torture, not for the sake of gathering information.” (In 2012, in a convoluted case, Kiriakou pleaded guilty to leaking the identity of a covert CIA officer to the press and spent a year in prison.)
    One who paraphrased it is Michael Hayden, former director of both the CIA and the National Security Agency. In a Wednesday op-ed, Hayden endorsed Haspel as head of the CIA, writing that “Haspel did nothing more and nothing less than what the nation and the agency asked her to do, and she did it well.”
    John Brennan, who ran the CIA under President Barack Obama, made similar remarks on Tuesday when asked about Haspel. The Bush administration had decided that its torture program was legal, said Brennan, and Haspel “tried to carry out her duties at CIA to the best of her ability, even when the CIA was asked to do some very difficult things.”
    Texas Republican Rep. Will Hurd used the precise language of the Nuremberg defense during a Tuesday appearance on CNN when Wolf Blitzer asked him to respond to a statement from Sen. John McCain, R-Ariz.: “The Senate must do its job in scrutinizing the record and involvement of Gina Haspel in this disgraceful program.”
    Hurd, a member of the House Intelligence Committee and a former CIA operative as well, told Blitzer that “this wasn’t Gina’s idea. She was following orders. … She implemented orders and was doing her job.”
    Bipartisan support of torture using a literal Nazi defense. Unfortunately, I’m not even surprised.
    Now here’s the best part…
    Notably, Blitzer did not have any follow-up questions for Hurd about his jarring comments.
    Gotta love CNN.

Fortunately, there’s a small flicker of actual resistance to Trump’s shameless neocon pivot. It just happens to be coming from Rand Paul.

More at: https://www.zerohedge.com/news/2018-...refuses-resist

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

Boy, nothing the Swamp™ hates more than extraordinary rendition, without trial, and permanent torture in Thailand.

...well, 'cept smaller government,

But, mainly, it's about making America's Illegal Torture Camps Great Again.

I'm excited, myself..

Quote Originally Posted by r3volution 3.0 View Post
    Boy, nothing the Swamp™ hates more than extraordinary rendition, without trial, and permanent torture in Thailand.

...well, 'cept smaller government,

But, mainly, it's about making America's Illegal Torture Camps Great Again.

I'm excited, myself..

They'll be the best illegal torture camps. The best.
    Chris

I'm sure it is just spin but is there any other source than Propublica?

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

35. Remove this section of ads by registering.
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast