Thread: Democrats want to take the Senate by turning DC into a state

Exclamation Democrats want to take the Senate by turning DC into a state

Elections have consequences, and for Democrats, the consequences of failing to win enough seats in the past three congressional elections to have control of the Senate have been enormous.
    Not only has the Republican-led Senate approved significant tax reform legislation and repealed the Obamacare individual mandate, it has also confirmed 31 federal appeals court judges and two Supreme Court justices, leaving what will likely be a decades-long mark on the judicial branch. And after recapturing the Senate in the 2018 elections, Republicans are guaranteed at least two more years of controlling who is appointed and confirmed to the judiciary, which is particularly important considering that the Supreme Court’s two oldest justices—Ruth Bader Ginsburg, 85, and Stephen Breyer, 80—lean heavily to the left.
    However, despite Democrats’ recent failures to retake the Senate, Democrats’ success in 2018 House races could be a sign the tides are shifting in their favor. If they do, Democrats have a plan to significantly reduce Republicans’ influence in the Senate, or perhaps even allow them to keep control of the Senate for many years to come: grant statehood to Washington, D.C.
    The vast majority of House Democrats are promoting statehood for Washington, D.C., by backing House Resolution 51, which “provides for admission into the United States of the state of Washington, Douglass Commonwealth, composed of most of the territory of the District of Columbia. The commonwealth shall be admitted to the Union on an equal footing with the other states.”

More at: https://townhall.com/columnists/just...tates-n2542816
    Never attempt to teach a pig to sing; it wastes your time and annoys the pig.

Robert Heinlein

Give a man an inch and right away he thinks he's a ruler

Groucho Marx

I love mankind…it’s people I can’t stand.

Linus, from the Peanuts comic

You cannot have liberty without morality and morality without faith

Alexis de Torqueville

Those who fail to learn from the past are condemned to repeat it.
    Those who learn from the past are condemned to watch everybody else repeat it

A Zero Hedge comment

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    MAGA team won't let it happen, Dems are playing with fire by going against master of 3D Chess and art of the deal guru. This if succeeded could be a major win by left wing libs, AIPAC lobby that is allegedly biggest funder of Dem Senators and a major setback for Adelson funded politicians. Controversial Lew R article had called almost all senators "stooges" of lobbies.

Time to start building , training and arming your militias .
    Do something Danke

What about Puerto Rico, Guam, and Virgin Islands, Marianna Islands and American Samoa?

Let it happen, Perhaps it'll give other states the idea to secede or break up. That is, as long as the residents of D.C. want this and vote on it.

We're being governed ruled by a geriatric Alzheimer patient/puppet whose strings are being pulled by an elitist oligarchy who believe they can manage the world... imagine the utter maniacal, sociopathic hubris!

Quote Originally Posted by Pauls' Revere View Post
    What about Puerto Rico, Guam, and Virgin Islands, Marianna Islands and American Samoa?

Let it happen, Perhaps it'll give other states the idea to secede or break up. That is, as long as the residents of D.C. want this and vote on it.
    No new Blue states unless some of the old ones leave or break up to give us new Red states.

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

Quote Originally Posted by Swordsmyth View Post
    No new Blue states unless some of the old ones leave or break up to give us new Red states.
    Hope you realize how shortsighted such rhetoric is. Are you forgetting that current MAGA savior of America First Red values rose from and was groomed in the great Blue State of NY?

Quote Originally Posted by enhanced_deficit View Post
    Hope you realize how shortsighted such rhetoric is. Are you forgetting that current MAGA savior of America First Red values rose from and was groomed in the great Blue State of NY?
    You are the short sighted one, Trump is irrelevant when compared to the overall political balance in the nation, we could have had much better Presidents than Trump if there weren't so many Blue states.

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

Having 51 states seems awkward. Lets keep it at 50.
    "Perhaps one of the most important accomplishments of my administration is minding my own business."

Calvin Coolidge

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    We have enough States, Obama would call this the '58th' State.

Seriously , another 'Washington' distraction to keep focus off of Hillary and the rest of the deep state.

Puerto Ricos been trying to become a state for decades. Don't know if the other territories are trying to do the same thing.
    "Perhaps one of the most important accomplishments of my administration is minding my own business."

Calvin Coolidge

This is nothing new.They've been trying to secure statehood for DC for the last 50-60 years now. The obstacles in their path are significant. I doubt anything will come of it.
    Last edited by CCTelander; 03-09-2019 at 10:15 PM.
    Chris

"Government ... does not exist of necessity, but rather by virtue of a tragic, almost comical combination of klutzy, opportunistic terrorism against sitting ducks whom it pretends to shelter, plus our childish phobia of responsibility, praying to be exempted from the hard reality of life on life's terms." Wolf DeVoon

"...Make America Great Again. I'm interested in making American FREE again. Then the greatness will come automatically."Ron Paul

D.C. was never meant to be a state.
    "IF GOD DIDN'T WANT TO HELP AMERICA, THEN WE WOULD HAVE Hillary Clinton"!!
    "let them search you,touch you,violate your Rights,just don't be a dick!"~ cdc482
    "For Wales. Why Richard, it profits a man nothing to give his soul for the whole world. But for Wales?"
    All my life I've been at the mercy of men just following orders... Never again!~Erik Lehnsherr
    There's nothing wrong with stopping people randomly, especially near bars, restaurants etc.~Velho

Unfortunately, we don't get to decide what kind of senators they elect.

We're being governed ruled by a geriatric Alzheimer patient/puppet whose strings are being pulled by an elitist oligarchy who believe they can manage the world... imagine the utter maniacal, sociopathic hubris!

Quote Originally Posted by Anti Globalist View Post
    Puerto Ricos been trying to become a state for decades. Don't know if the other territories are trying to do the same thing.
    Last I recall its mostly a generational gap thing. Where the younger generation tends to vote for statehood but the older generation tends not to. As time goes on this cycle repeats. I could be way off base though.

Unfortunately, we don't get to decide what kind of senators they elect.
    And that is why we mustn't give away statehood unless we get rid of states that we know who they elect or get some red rural areas split off to compensate. (Or better yet to overcompensate)

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

Quote Originally Posted by aGameOfThrones View Post
    D.C. was never meant to be a state.
    And it's unconstitutional.
    Congress shall have the power...
    ...To exercise exclusive legislation in all cases whatsoever, over such District (not exceeding ten miles square) as may, by cession of particular states, and the acceptance of Congress, become the seat of the government of the United States,
    New states may be admitted by the Congress into this union; but no new states shall be formed or erected within the jurisdiction of any other state; nor any state be formed by the junction of two or more states, or parts of states, without the consent of the legislatures of the states concerned as well as of the Congress.
    Last edited by fedupinmo; 03-09-2019 at 09:38 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Ryan
    In Washington you can see them everywhere: the Parasites and baby Stalins sucking the life out of a once-great nation.

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    And that is why we mustn't give away statehood unless we get rid of states that we know who they elect or get some red rural areas split off to compensate. (Or better yet to overcompensate)
    I give priority to self-determination over party preference they vote in. Same idea for a state that wishes to leave.

I give priority to self-determination over party preference they vote in. Same idea for a state that wishes to leave.
    I give priority to self determination if they want independence but if they get statehood they will get determination over me and I can't give them that without a trade that guarantees my rights will be better off afterwards.

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

I give priority to self determination if they want independence but if they get statehood they will get determination over me and I can't give them that without a trade that guarantees my rights will be better off afterwards.
    Then, changing the representatives in your state or others is the option.

Banned

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Anti Globalist View Post
    Having 51 states seems awkward. Lets keep it at 50.
    Let's make it 52. Puerto Rico deserves recognition and representation.

You can arrange the 51 stars into a wicked pentagram on the new American flag. Or maybe just a pentagon.

Quote Originally Posted by UWDude View Post
    Let's make it 52. Puerto Rico deserves recognition and representation.

You can arrange the 51 stars into a wicked pentagram on the new American flag. Or maybe just a pentagon.
    LOL, I'd like to see the stars arranged in the Anarchy Symbol! (does someone have that?)

Only the folks living in P.R. get to decide whats the best representation for them.

Then, changing the representatives in your state or others is the option.
    That is one option, not allowing anymore Blue states unless we get rid of some old ones or get some new Red states too is another.
    The second is easier than the first.
    I decline to agree to the death knell of my rights.

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

That is one option, not allowing anymore Blue states unless we get rid of some old ones or get some new Red states too is another.
    The second is easier than the first.
    I decline to agree to the death knell of my rights.
    and I refuse to stomp on others rights.

and I refuse to stomp on others rights.
    Me too, if they don't like being a territory they can vote for independence and I will support them. (Those in DC can move, the Constitution sets DC aside as not a state for good reasons)

I refuse to willingly allow others to stomp on my rights though, Statehood is something the current states grant not something anyone can simply choose for themselves and such a grant MUST serve the rights of the citizens of the current states.

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

28. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Me too, if they don't like being a territory they can vote for independence and I will support them. (Those in DC can move, the Constitution sets DC aside as not a state for good reasons)

I refuse to willingly allow others to stomp on my rights though, Statehood is something the current states grant not something anyone can simply choose for themselves and such a grant MUST serve the rights of the citizens of the current states.
    Yes, and so if they decide to join the party the other states must agree too. Personally, I'd rather they go independent but who knows, they live there, I don't.

LOL, I'd like to see the stars arranged in the Anarchy Symbol! (does someone have that?)

Only the folks living in P.R. get to decide whats the best representation for them.

We already have, but congress holds the power to make us a state. You know what, Fock PR and los populares POS. Fock los PNP who vote for democrats and RINOs too.
    "IF GOD DIDN'T WANT TO HELP AMERICA, THEN WE WOULD HAVE Hillary Clinton"!!
    "let them search you,touch you,violate your Rights,just don't be a dick!"~ cdc482
    "For Wales. Why Richard, it profits a man nothing to give his soul for the whole world. But for Wales?"
    All my life I've been at the mercy of men just following orders... Never again!~Erik Lehnsherr
    There's nothing wrong with stopping people randomly, especially near bars, restaurants etc.~Velho

Quote Originally Posted by CCTelander View Post
    This is nothing new.They've been trying to secure statehood for DC for the last 50-60 years now. The obstacles in their path are significant. I doubt anything will come of it.
    Yep, seems like I've heard all this before. A few times.
    "The Patriarch"

Last I recall its mostly a generational gap thing. Where the younger generation tends to vote for statehood but the older generation tends not to. As time goes on this cycle repeats. I could be way off base though.
    Seems plausible. I've also heard that more than half the people in Puerto Rico don't even speak english. Be weird to have a US state where the majority are speaking spanish instead of english.
    Last edited by Anti Globalist; 03-10-2019 at 09:06 AM.

Calvin Coolidge