Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Donald Trump really, really likes when people clap for him

Donald Trump really, really likes when people clap for him

http://www.cnn.com/2017/10/10/politi...ina/index.html

In a terrific Washington Post piece published Tuesday that paints Donald Trump as a tea kettle about to blow, there's a remarkably telling paragraph about how the President views politics and his role in it. Here it is:

"Trump also made it known to several people that he wished to have a rally in North Carolina over the weekend and not just a fundraiser -- but he ultimately flew down for only the fundraiser, spending just two hours on the ground in Greensboro. Trump complained that he wished he had gotten back out in front of the rowdy crowds he loves, these people said."

This part in particular stood out to me: "Trump complained that he wished he had gotten back out in front of the rowdy crowds he loves."

This is a President -- and a man -- who is absolutely fixated on perception. On ratings. On buzz. On applause.

He wants to hear people cheer for him. It's why the 2016 campaign was such a joy for Trump and the presidency, to date, has been a slog. In campaigns, all you do all day is go from city to city delivering speeches -- and being lauded by people who love you. (This is, by the way, why losing candidates are always so surprised when they don't win -- because they have spent months speaking to adoring crowds and can't understand why everyone doesn't feel that exact same way about them.)

Governing is, by contrast, a much more staid affair. You are dealing with members of the House and Senate, most of whom have their own constituencies and are not always willing to simply praise you for, well, just being you.

There's your presidential Cabinet, of course. And Trump did hold a public Cabinet meeting back in June in which the members of his team went around the table desperately trying to one-up each other in their over-the-top praise of the President. (Vice President Mike Pence won.) But, as Trump has learned -- most recently with Moron-gate -- you can't even depend on your Cabinet to clap for you all the time.

And so, Trump wants to return -- or at least re-create -- the campaign trail. The place where people truly loved him and truly understood him.

It's a somewhat natural reaction. There were many times in the Obama years in which his aides purposely got him out of Washington because they felt like he was going stir crazy and needed to talk to normal people. The DC political world is, without doubt, a hothouse and any president would do well to get away from it every once in a while.

But Trump's motivation in wanting to hold campaign rally in North Carolina was not simply to get away from Washington. He already was doing that by jetting to the Tarheel State for a fundraiser. His real motivation was to hear the cheers again. It's the same reason why he held a campaign rally in Phoenix in August 2017 -- more than three years before he will run for re-election. And it's likely the same reason -- or part of the reason -- he agreed to go to Alabama to hold a rally for appointed Sen. Luther Strange last month.

It's as though Trump has one of those applause meters in his head. And he believes applause is the only barometer of whether he is succeeding.

Check out how Trump defended his controversial visit to Puerto Rico in an interview with Mike Huckabee over the weekend:

"So we did a great job and we weren't treated fairly by the media because we really did a good job. I mean one example, they had these beautiful soft towels, very good towels, and I came in and there was a crowd of a lot of people and they were screaming and they were loving everything. And we were, I was having fun, they were having fun and they were saying 'throw em to me, throw 'em to me, Mr. President' ... So, the next day they said, 'Oh it was so disrespectful to the people,' it was just a made up thing. And also when I walked in, the cheering was incredible."
    The last line is the most important: "When I walked in, the cheering was incredible."
    If people were cheering, how can anything be bad?

That's how Trump thinks. And because he has to always be winning or be smarter -- he has a higher IQ than Rex Tillerson, you know -- he also has to relentlessly seek out the affirmation that he believes applause confers on him.

Being president is more than just getting people to clap for you, however. It's about leadership and doing what you believe to be he right thing -- even if it means some people (gasp!) don't clap.
    "I will be so presidential, you will be so bored," Trump promised in April 2016. "You'll say, 'Can't he have a little more energy?'"
    Last edited by Zippyjuan; 10-10-2017 at 02:32 PM.

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Another worthless post.
    Never attempt to teach a pig to sing; it wastes your time and annoys the pig.

Robert Heinlein

Give a man an inch and right away he thinks he's a ruler

Groucho Marx

I love mankind…it’s people I can’t stand.

Linus, from the Peanuts comic

You cannot have liberty without morality and morality without faith

Alexis de Torqueville

Those who fail to learn from the past are condemned to repeat it.
    Those who learn from the past are condemned to watch everybody else repeat it

A Zero Hedge comment

Quote Originally Posted by Swordsmyth View Post
    Another worthless post.
    So, why are you keeping it at the top?
    There is no spoon.

Not sure what the significance of this article is supposed to be. Just throwing anything anti-Trump on here? I'm not exactly a Trump fan, but what reason could you have for linking it here unless you are just a troll who likes to elicit reactions from people to then continue arguing with them? If you seek people to agree with your anti-Trump sentiment, clearly your message would be much better received on a more left-leaning website.
    "In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act." - George Orwell

Quote Originally Posted by ds21089 View Post
    Not sure what the significance of this article is supposed to be. Just throwing anything anti-Trump on here? I'm not exactly a Trump fan, but what reason could you have for linking it here unless you are just a troll who likes to elicit reactions from people to then continue arguing with them? If you seek people to agree with your anti-Trump sentiment, clearly your message would be much better received on a more left-leaning website.

Welcome to Zippy's world.
    Pfizer Macht Frei!

Openly Straight Man, Danke, Awarded Top Rated Influencer. Community Standards Enforcer.

Quiz: Test Your "Income" Tax IQ!

Short Income Tax Video

The Income Tax Is An Excise, And Excise Taxes Are Privilege Taxes

The Federalist Papers, No. 15:

Except as to the rule of appointment, the United States have an indefinite discretion to make requisitions for men and money; but they have no authority to raise either by regulations extending to the individual citizens of America.

If it wasn't WaPo, I'd give you 6 stars. Well done Zippy!

"You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to Zippyjuan again."

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zippyjuan View Post
    Trump complained that he wished he had gotten back out in front of the rowdy crowds he loves, these people said.
    "

What people? Who are they? What did they say? What did Trump say? Any quotes? Any paraphrases? Any sources?
    Quote Originally Posted by TheCount View Post
    ...I believe that when the government is capable of doing a thing, it will.
    Quote Originally Posted by Influenza View Post
    which one of yall fuckers wrote the "ron paul" racist news letters
    Quote Originally Posted by Dforkus View Post
    Zippy's posts are a great contribution.

Disrupt, Deny, Deflate. Read the RPF trolls' playbook here (post #3): http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthr...eptive-members

Quote Originally Posted by Swordsmyth View Post
    Another worthless post.

That's my take. The CNN opinionator built an entire article about adoration from another opinion article. No numbers. No quotes. Just some alleged people who said some alleged things. In fact, the CNN author based his entire article from one paragraph in the WaPo article: a two hour Trump fund raiser in North Carolina.

Anyway, who doesn't like accolades? If opinions are like $#@!s (everyone has one), then my opinion is that Bill Clinton was the king of attention seeking. Seems he was always making sales type speeches when he was president. He loved the crowds. Obama only made two speeches in the Oval Office during his first term. He also preferred to be in the crowds. Either way, presidents makes speeches when they're president: to sell themselves, sell their plan, boost their ratings, campaigning for others, etc.

Disrupt, Deny, Deflate. Read the RPF trolls' playbook here (post #3): http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthr...eptive-members

Not sure what the significance of this article is supposed to be.
    I don't see any significance. It's just one opinion article quoting another opinion article. No numbers. No quotes. In fact, they interpreted all this accolade stuff from a two hour fund raiser where Trump did not even do the accolade seeking the article claims.

Just throwing anything anti-Trump on here?
    Yes, that is exactly the point and no other.

I'm not exactly a Trump fan, but what reason could you have for linking it here unless you are just a troll who likes to elicit reactions from people to then continue arguing with them?

Zip & Company posts the opposite from most of us. Most liberty people here will have an opinion and post their thoughts. Zip seldom has an opinion on anything. That's because revealing it is detrimental to their purpose here. Zip is required to post something, so they just find something--anything. That explains the low quality threads like this one.

Quote Originally Posted by Superfluous Man View Post
    "You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to Zippyjuan again."

Yeah, me too, but in the other direction. I am negging Zip's post. The article is low quality. No quotes. No numbers. No sources. The article can't even cite what it claims.

Quote Originally Posted by NorthCarolinaLiberty View Post
    Yeah, me too, but in the other direction. I am negging Zip's post. The article is low quality. No quotes. No numbers. No sources. The article can't even cite what it claims.
    Ah- time for my daily rep.

You can stop spreading falsehoods. This is the second time you've told this fib. You can also stop playing your martyr games because, apparently, it's not working. And, I don't even post on Sunday anymore.

You can stop spreading falsehoods. This is the second time you've told this fib. You can also stop playing your martyr games because, apparently, it's not working. And, I don't even post on Sunday anymore.
    So you made up for that by giving me two today. Thanks!

So you made up for that by giving me two today. Thanks!

Wow; now you are just outright lying. I gave you one neg rep today and that's it.

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Wow; now you are just outright lying. I gave you one neg rep today and that's it.
    One of those might have been mine.

Quote Originally Posted by RJB View Post
    One of those might have been mine.
    Sorry, you are right. I read his post about giving me a neg and one showed up on this thread but the first one was yours- not his.
    Last edited by Zippyjuan; 10-10-2017 at 08:21 PM.

#NashvilleStrong

“I’m a doctor. That’s a baby.”~~~Dr. Manny Sethi

Not sure what the significance of this article is supposed to be.
    You got it right for the most part. The purpose (and hope) is to draw people into the thread, because the premise, while a raving hit at msnbc.com or huffpost, is nothing more than a trivial waste of time on a liberty based forum. Some do get drawn in and end up feeling compelled to point this fact out, point out something about the op, or they feel the need to attack others that are defending or attacking the op and each other. Division and disruption.

This thread goes farther than the typical irrelevancy, so it thankfully is not achieving these goals to the usual extent, but many other topics have just enough relevancy to current affairs to pique someone's interest to get fellow members onto their teams, attacking each other, and the casual members see this, take no more than 2 seconds to make a decision, and opt to look elsewhere for pertinent liberty related information and discussion.

You are correct to question the significance, given the platform.

Quote Originally Posted by Champuckett View Post
    You got it right for the most part. The purpose (and hope) is to draw people into the thread, because the premise, while a raving hit at msnbc.com or huffpost, is nothing more than a trivial waste of time on a liberty based forum. Some do get drawn in and end up feeling compelled to point this fact out, point out something about the op, or they feel the need to attack others that are defending or attacking the op and each other. Division and disruption.

This thread goes farther than the typical irrelevancy, so it thankfully is not achieving these goals to the usual extent, but many other topics have just enough relevancy to current affairs to pique someone's interest to get fellow members onto their teams, attacking each other, and the casual members see this, take no more than 2 seconds to make a decision, and opt to look elsewhere for pertinent liberty related information and discussion.

You are correct to question the significance, given the platform.

+ rep

Quote Originally Posted by Dr.3D View Post

Another + rep. I am still literally laughing out loud as I read that!

Laughter good for the soul. I knew I came to this forum for a reason!
    Last edited by NorthCarolinaLiberty; 10-10-2017 at 08:35 PM.

I can not help but notice you are not progressing, I would even go as far as say your rep bar is getting shorter. What's going on?

Quote Originally Posted by timosman View Post
    I can not help but notice you are not progressing, I would even go as far as say your rep bar is getting shorter. What's going on?
    Keep your chin up, Zippy.

You will be back in the green again in no time with catchy, well-sourced threads like the one you started here.

28. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    What's going on?
    Quote Originally Posted by sparebulb View Post
    ...well-sourced threads like the one you started here.

Recent efforts from The Company are rather dubious.

Shame on you, Zippy, shame. For suggesting Trump is a shallow, egotistical individual. When he's so much more than just that.
    It's all about taking action and not being lazy. So you do the work, whether it's fitness or whatever. It's about getting up, motivating yourself and just doing it.
    - Kim Kardashian

Donald Trump / Crenshaw 2024!!!!

My pronouns are he/him/his

Quote Originally Posted by TheTexan View Post
    Shame on you, Zippy, shame. For suggesting Trump is a shallow, egotistical individual. When he's so much more than just that.
    LOL- you got that right.
    There is no spoon.

Quote Originally Posted by Ender View Post
    LOL- you got that right.
    The site wouldn't be what it is without Zippy. No matter how many red bars he is not giving up. One day we will see the truth and understand what sacrifice he had to make in order to enlighten us.

The site wouldn't be what it is without Zippy.
    I like Zippy.
    There is no spoon.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast