Thread: Trump asked intelligence officials to deny connections with Russia

Trump asked intelligence officials to deny connections with Russia

Top intelligence official told associates Trump asked him if he could intervene with Comey on FBI Russia probe
    Trump asked intelligence officials to deny connections with Russia
    By Adam Entous June 6 at 8:05 PM

The nation’s top intelligence official told associates in March that President Trump asked him if he could intervene with then-FBI Director James B. Comey to get the bureau to back off its focus on former national security adviser Michael Flynn in its Russia probe, according to officials.

On March 22, less than a week after being confirmed by the Senate, Director of National Intelligence Daniel Coats attended a briefing at the White House together with officials from several government agencies. As the briefing was wrapping up, Trump asked everyone to leave the room except for Coats and CIA Director Mike Pompeo.

The president then started complaining about the FBI investigation and Comey’s handling of it, said officials familiar with the account Coats gave to associates. Two days earlier, Comey had confirmed in a congressional hearing that the bureau was probing whether Trump’s campaign coordinated with Russia during the 2016 race.

After the encounter, Coats discussed the conversation with other officials and decided that intervening with Comey as Trump had suggested would be inappropriate, according to officials who spoke on condition of anonymity to discuss sensitive internal matters.

The events involving Coats show the president went further than just asking intelligence officials to deny publicly the existence of any evidence showing collusion during the 2016 election, as The Washington Post reported in May. The interaction with Coats indicates that Trump aimed to enlist top officials to have Comey curtail the bureau’s probe.

[Trump asked intelligence chiefs to push back against FBI collusion probe after Comey revealed its existence]

Coats will testify on Wednesday before the Senate Intelligence Committee. Lawmakers on the panel said they would press him for information about his interactions with the president regarding the FBI investigation.

The question of whether the president obstructed the Russia investigation is expected to take center stage this week with Comey’s highly anticipated testimony on the Hill on Thursday. Comey associates say that before the director was fired in May, the president had asked him to drop the investigation into Flynn, and Comey refused.

Brian P. Hale, a spokesman for the Office of the Director of National Intelligence (ODNI), declined to comment on whether Trump asked Coats to intervene with Comey regarding the Flynn investigation. Hale said in a statement: “Director Coats does not discuss his private conversations with the President. However, he has never felt pressured by the President or anyone else in the Administration to influence any intelligence matters or ongoing investigations.”

A spokesman for Pompeo declined to comment on the closed-door discussions. The White House referred questions to outside lawyers, who did not immediately respond to a request for comment.

Trump has repeatedly denied any coordination took place between his campaign and the Russian government, which, according to U.S. intelligence agencies, stole emails embarrassing to Democratic presidential candidate Hillary Clinton and leaked them to undermine her campaign.

Flynn had served as an enthusiastic surrogate for Trump during the campaign and then was fired after just 24 days as national security adviser over revelations he misrepresented his discussions with the Russian ambassador to the United States.

The incidents suggest that Trump may not have appreciated the traditional barriers meant to insulate the intelligence agencies from politics.

Though the ODNI oversees other intelligence agencies, the FBI director operates independently on many matters. For example, Comey kept James R. Clapper Jr., Coats’s predecessor in the Obama administration, in the dark about the bureau’s investigation into possible coordination between the Trump campaign and Russia.

A day or two after the March 22 meeting, the president followed up with a phone call to Coats, according to officials familiar with the discussions. In the call, Trump asked Coats to issue a public statement denying the existence of any evidence of coordination between his campaign and the Russian government. Again, Coats decided not to act on the request.

Trump similarly approached Adm. Mike Rogers, the director of the National Security Agency, to ask him to publicly deny the existence of any evidence of coordination, as The Post previously reported, according to current and former officials. Like Coats, Rogers refused to comply with the president’s request.

Trump announced in January that he was nominating Coats to serve as director of national intelligence, responsible for overseeing U.S. intelligence agencies and for briefing the president on global developments.

In February, as tensions flared between intelligence agencies and the White House over Russia and other issues, some of Trump’s advisers floated the idea of appointing a New York billionaire, Stephen A. Feinberg, to undertake a review of the ODNI. Coats, who was preparing for his confirmation hearing, felt blindsided, officials said.

The White House backed away from the idea of naming Feinberg after Coats, members of the intelligence community and Congress raised objections.

Officials say Trump’s advisers have since revived their proposal to appoint Feinberg to a senior position, possibly to review the roles of the ODNI and other intelligence agencies.

Some officials said they viewed the prospective appointment of Feinberg as an effort by White House officials to put pressure on intelligence agencies to close ranks with the White House.

In an appearance last month before the Senate Armed Services Committee, Coats refused to provide details about his interactions with Trump.

But he indicated that he would cooperate with the Russia probe now being led by special counsel Robert S. Mueller III. Under questioning by Sen. Martin Heinrich (D-N.M.), Coats said that if asked, he would provide details of his conversations with Trump to Mueller.

Coats also said that if he is called before an investigative committee, such as the Senate Intelligence Committee, “I certainly will provide them with what I know and what I don’t know.” He said the Trump administration had not directed the ODNI to withhold information from members of Congress conducting oversight.
    https://www.washingtonpost.com/world...83b_story.html
    “I don’t think that there will be any curtailing of Donald Trump as president,” he said. "He controls the media, he controls the sentiment [and] he controls everybody. He’s the one who will resort to executive orders more so than [President] Obama ever used them." - Ron Paul

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by TheCount View Post
    ...I believe that when the government is capable of doing a thing, it will.
    Quote Originally Posted by Influenza View Post
    which one of yall fuckers wrote the "ron paul" racist news letters
    Quote Originally Posted by Dforkus View Post
    Zippy's posts are a great contribution.

Disrupt, Deny, Deflate. Read the RPF trolls' playbook here (post #3): http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthr...eptive-members

https://twitter.com/GrabienMedia/sta...72608100495360
    “I don’t think that there will be any curtailing of Donald Trump as president,” he said. "He controls the media, he controls the sentiment [and] he controls everybody. He’s the one who will resort to executive orders more so than [President] Obama ever used them." - Ron Paul

Actual Testimony appears to vindicate Trump

Yet, I just watched a couple of top intelligence officials testify live, that they never felt pressured to end the investigation. Sounds to me like Trump has been vindicated. We should know better, than to read a headline and assume it’s the whole truth.

Dan Coates - Director of National Intelligence:
    "In my time of service in interacting with the President of the United States, or anybody in his administration, I have never been pressured, I have never felt pressure to intervene or interfere in any way with shaping intelligence in a political way or in relationship to an ongoing investigation"

Mike Rogers - NSA Director:
    “I have never been directed to do anything I believe to be illegal, immoral, unethical or inappropriate...”

Quote Originally Posted by Valli6 View Post
    Yet, I just watched a couple of top intelligence officials testify live, that they never felt pressured to end the investigation. Sounds to me like Trump has been vindicated. We should know better, than to read a headline and assume it’s the whole truth.

"In my time of service in interacting with the President of the United States, or anybody in his administration, I have never been pressured, I have never felt pressure to intervene or interfere in any way with shaping intelligence in a political way or in relationship to an ongoing investigation"

“I have never been directed to do anything I believe to be illegal, immoral, unethical or inappropriate...”

But muh Russia..

Thanks CPUd, queen of fake news. Keep posting about Russia, maybe some day you will find something.
    "He's talkin' to his gut like it's a person!!" -me
    "dumpster diving isn't professional." - angelatc
    "You don't need a medical degree to spot obvious bullshit, that's actually a separate skill." -Scott Adams
    "When you are divided, and angry, and controlled, you target those 'different' from you, not those responsible [controllers]" -Q

"Each of us must choose which course of action we should take: education, conventional political action, or even peaceful civil disobedience to bring about necessary changes. But let it not be said that we did nothing." - Ron Paul

"Paul said "the wave of the future" is a coalition of anti-authoritarian progressive Democrats and libertarian Republicans in Congress opposed to domestic surveillance, opposed to starting new wars and in favor of ending the so-called War on Drugs."

Two words: executive privilege. Now go pound sand.
    Last edited by timosman; 06-07-2017 at 11:49 AM.

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.

Real news to correct OP's crack pottery

Coats, Rogers Ruin Democrats' Narrative: "Never Felt Pressured To Do Anything Illegal"

Not surprisingly, today's hearing on the review of the Foreign Intelligence Surveillance Act quickly morphed into another Trump witch hunt as soon as the first Democrat on the committee, Senator Mark Warner (D-VA), was allotted time for questions. Unfortunately, Warner didn't get the response he had hoped for when he asked Director of National Intelligence Dan Coats and National Security Agency Director Admiral Mike Rogers whether they had ever been pressured by the Trump administration to downplay the Russian investigation. Here are the headlines:

*NSA'S ROGERS: I'VE NEVER FELT PRESSURED TO DO ANYTHING ILLEGAL
    *NSA'S ROGERS: I'VE NEVER BEEN DIRECTED TO DO ANYTHING ILLEGAL
    *COATS: I'VE NEVER FELT PRESSURE TO SHAPE ONGOING INVESTIGATION
    Full details...http://www.zerohedge.com/news/2017-0...ything-illegal

Both declined to answer publicly when asked if Trump had asked them to downplay Russian probe.

"What's your basis for your refusal to answer these questions today?" he asked.

But Coats too was standing by his initial comments and saying he did not believe it was "appropriate" for him to speak on those conversations during the open hearing.

"What's the basis?" King asked. "I'm not satisfied with 'I do not believe it is appropriate' or 'I do not want to answer.' I want to understand the legal basis. You swore that oath to tell us the truth, the whole truth, and nothing but the truth. And today you are refusing to do so. What is the legal basis for your refusal to testify to this committee?"

Coats said he was "not sure I have a legal basis."

"But I am more than willing to sit before this committee in its investigative process in closed session and answer your questions," he continued.

Both Coats and Rogers agreed that the "appropriate" thing was to discuss the matter in the closed session, which was set to take place later Wednesday afternoon. But both also said they still need to consult the White House on whether executive privilege will be invoked.
    http://www.businessinsider.com/angus...s-trump-2017-6

I don't think the "anti-Trumpers" are going to like what comes out of these hearings.....
    The wisdom of Swordy:

On bringing the troops home
    Quote Originally Posted by Swordsmyth View Post
    They are coming home, all the naysayers said they would never leave Syria and then they said they were going to stay in Iraq forever.

It won't take very long to get them home but it won't be overnight either but Iraq says they can't stay and they are coming home just like Trump said.

On fighting corruption:
    Trump had to donate the "right way" and hang out with the "right people" in order to do business in NYC and Hollyweird and in order to investigate and expose them.
    Fascism Defined

Quote Originally Posted by Todd View Post
    I don't think the "anti-Trumpers" are going to like what comes out of these hearings.....
    If they're expecting something other than confirmation of what's already out there, then they will be disappoint.

Quote Originally Posted by CPUd View Post
    If they're expecting something other than confirmation of what's already out there, then they will be disappoint.
    Referring to oneself in third person is not a good sign. Can you afford to see a healthcare professional?

Quote Originally Posted by CPUd View Post
    My thoughts were they might uncover some uncomfortable dirt on previous administration and leaders..

I'm not Trump fan either...but the Russian bull$#@! has gone beyond sanity. And here are US Senators floating a load of it.
    The wisdom of Swordy:

On bringing the troops home
    They are coming home, all the naysayers said they would never leave Syria and then they said they were going to stay in Iraq forever.

It won't take very long to get them home but it won't be overnight either but Iraq says they can't stay and they are coming home just like Trump said.

On fighting corruption:
    Trump had to donate the "right way" and hang out with the "right people" in order to do business in NYC and Hollyweird and in order to investigate and expose them.
    Fascism Defined

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by Todd View Post
    My thoughts were they might uncover some uncomfortable dirt on previous administration and leaders..

I'm not Trump fan either...but the Russian bull$#@! has gone beyond sanity. And here are US Senators floating a load of it.
    It's largely self-inflicted by The Man Himself. He could have fired Comey on Jan 20 and referred all inquiries to WH counsel, the House investigation would have run its course by now. Worst case scenario would have been a couple guys falling on their sword. But he's $#@!ed himself so hard now, this will go on for months or years.

Distractions are the whole point. Trump's job is to keep us divided, and squabbling over meaningless garbage, and distract us from the latest war and the latest curtailment of liberty and the latest sabotage of the economy.

How would firing Comey in January have accomplished this mission, again? Months and years of this $#@! is undesirable to the powers that be because...?
    You only want the freedoms that will undermine the nation and lead to the destruction of liberty.

Quote Originally Posted by acptulsa View Post
    Distractions are the whole point. Trump's job is to keep us divided, and squabbling over meaningless garbage, and distract us from the latest war and the latest curtailment of liberty and the latest sabotage of the economy.

How would firing Comey in January have accomplished this mission, again? Months and years of this $#@! is undesirable to the powers that be because...?
    Exactly. Outa rep.

Quote Originally Posted by acptulsa View Post

After the election, Comey was disliked by both parties; firing him on Day 1 would have been a popular move. But like you say, the focus on all sides has been toward increased polarization instead of working together.

Quote Originally Posted by Zippyjuan View Post
    Both declined to answer publicly when asked if Trump had asked them to downplay Russian probe.
    http://www.businessinsider.com/angus...s-trump-2017-6
    I saw that, too and it's the narrative the media is going with. But if the statements about them not being pressured are true - then it can't ALSO be true, that Trump DID tell them to drop the investigation. It has to be one or the other.

I don't know why they didn't answer it. They implied this open hearing wasn't the place for it, and that they wanted to let Comey answer.

I can totally see a novice president tossing out an off-the-cuff remark like "Gee, I hope in the end you can let him go 'cause I think he's a good guy." Informally expressing a hope, is a far cry from pushing to shut down an investigation - but we all know how the media would portray it if they answered "yes" - even over a comment that was not a serious request.

I saw that, too and it's the narrative the media is going with. But if the statements about them not being pressured are true - then it can't ALSO be true, that Trump DID tell them to drop the investigation. It has to be one or the other.

I don't know why they didn't answer it. They implied this open hearing wasn't the place for it, and that they wanted to let Comey answer.

I can totally see a novice president tossing out an off-the-cuff remark like "Gee, I hope in the end you can let him go 'cause I think he's a good guy." Informally expressing a hope, is a far cry from pushing to shut down an investigation - but we all know how the media would portray it if they answered "yes" - even over a comment that was not a serious request.
    He could have asked them to back off without ordering them to back off. That could let their statement still be true.