Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Notre-Dame cathedral on fire in Paris

Quote Originally Posted by Ender View Post
    Just like many "rightist" celebrate killing millions in the ME.
    And?
    Never attempt to teach a pig to sing; it wastes your time and annoys the pig.

Robert Heinlein

Give a man an inch and right away he thinks he's a ruler

Groucho Marx

I love mankind…it’s people I can’t stand.

Linus, from the Peanuts comic

You cannot have liberty without morality and morality without faith

Alexis de Torqueville

Those who fail to learn from the past are condemned to repeat it.
    Those who learn from the past are condemned to watch everybody else repeat it

A Zero Hedge comment

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Restoring Notre-Dame to its original state could be impossible - because France doesn’t have enough trees that measure up to the job.
    Bertrand de Feydeau, vice president of preservation group Fondation du Patrimoine, told France Info radio that the wooden roof that went up in flames was built with beams more than 800 years ago from primal forests.
    He said the cathedral’s roof cannot be rebuilt exactly as it was before the fire because “we don’t, at the moment, have trees on our territory of the size that were cut in the 13th century”.
    He said the restoration work will have to use new technologies in order to rebuild the roof of Paris’ most-visited monument.

Peter Riddington, a consultant director with Donald Insall Associates, which oversaw the restoration of Windsor Castle following the 1992 fire, said he felt a solution would have to be found.
    He added: “The history of the cathedral is so strong that to rebuild it in a form that isn’t what people understand Notre-Dame to be, what it symbolises and what they believe it to be would be a very difficult argument to win.
    “There will be a lot of soul searching I think.”
    While Windsor Castle was a straightforward rebuild due to the “cellular” structure of the rooms Mr Riddington said Notre Dame’s status as a place of worship - and a large one at that - presents extra challenges.

Windsor saw some 1,500 workers help rebuild and restore the castle at a cost of around £36m, 27 years ago - though both the cost and the four year project came in ahead of schedule and under budget.
    He said: “I think it’s a much bigger, more difficult rebuild.
    “One thing I would say though is that it is not the first cathedral fire over the years.
    “The west wing at York was badly damaged in the 1980s but they do get restored.”

Paris public prosecutor Rémy Heitz said his office was "favouring the theory of an accident", but had assigned 50 people to work on what he believed would be a "long" and "complex" investigation.

More at: https://news.yahoo.com/france-doesnt...130301402.html

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

Quote Originally Posted by Swordsmyth View Post
    Restoring Notre-Dame to its original state could be impossible - because France doesn’t have enough trees that measure up to the job.
    Bertrand de Feydeau, vice president of preservation group Fondation du Patrimoine, told France Info radio that the wooden roof that went up in flames was built with beams more than 800 years ago from primal forests.
    He said the cathedral’s roof cannot be rebuilt exactly as it was before the fire because “we don’t, at the moment, have trees on our territory of the size that were cut in the 13th century”.
    He said the restoration work will have to use new technologies in order to rebuild the roof of Paris’ most-visited monument.

Peter Riddington, a consultant director with Donald Insall Associates, which oversaw the restoration of Windsor Castle following the 1992 fire, said he felt a solution would have to be found.
    He added: “The history of the cathedral is so strong that to rebuild it in a form that isn’t what people understand Notre-Dame to be, what it symbolises and what they believe it to be would be a very difficult argument to win.
    While Windsor Castle was a straightforward rebuild due to the “cellular” structure of the rooms Mr Riddington said Notre Dame’s status as a place of worship - and a large one at that - presents extra challenges.

Windsor saw some 1,500 workers help rebuild and restore the castle at a cost of around £36m, 27 years ago - though both the cost and the four year project came in ahead of schedule and under budget.
    “One thing I would say though is that it is not the first cathedral fire over the years.
    “The west wing at York was badly damaged in the 1980s but they do get restored.”

Paris public prosecutor Rémy Heitz said his office was "favouring the theory of an accident", but had assigned 50 people to work on what he believed would be a "long" and "complex" investigation.

Maybe they can ask the Swiss?
    "He's talkin' to his gut like it's a person!!" -me
    "dumpster diving isn't professional." - angelatc
    "You don't need a medical degree to spot obvious bullshit, that's actually a separate skill." -Scott Adams
    "When you are divided, and angry, and controlled, you target those 'different' from you, not those responsible [controllers]" -Q

"Each of us must choose which course of action we should take: education, conventional political action, or even peaceful civil disobedience to bring about necessary changes. But let it not be said that we did nothing." - Ron Paul

"Paul said "the wave of the future" is a coalition of anti-authoritarian progressive Democrats and libertarian Republicans in Congress opposed to domestic surveillance, opposed to starting new wars and in favor of ending the so-called War on Drugs."

I can see those folks haven't learned much from this.

Enough trees?

Do people actually care about what they can't see?

The skeleton for the roof should be made of structural steel and then the exterior made to look as it was before.

It wouldn't look any different and there would be a much smaller chance of fire happening again.

Quote Originally Posted by Dr.3D View Post
    I can see those folks haven't learned much from this.

Enough trees?

Do people actually care about what they can't see?

The skeleton for the roof should be made of structural steel and then the exterior made to look as it was before.

It wouldn't look any different and there would be a much smaller chance of fire happening again.
    Yea, a facade is all you need for aesthetics and you could put a much stronger structure beneath it.

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

I'm just gonna wait until we get all the facts until we know for sure.
    "Perhaps one of the most important accomplishments of my administration is minding my own business."

Calvin Coolidge

"You don't need a medical degree to spot obvious bullshit, that's actually a separate skill." -Scott Adams
    "When you are divided, and angry, and controlled, you target those 'different' from you, not those responsible [controllers]" -Q

"Each of us must choose which course of action we should take: education, conventional political action, or even peaceful civil disobedience to bring about necessary changes. But let it not be said that we did nothing." - Ron Paul

"Paul said "the wave of the future" is a coalition of anti-authoritarian progressive Democrats and libertarian Republicans in Congress opposed to domestic surveillance, opposed to starting new wars and in favor of ending the so-called War on Drugs."

On the positive side, there is great outpouring of support for French people and Catholics around the world and various fundraisers are going on with offers to help rebuild this historic Catholic landmark. In a way, today we're all Catholics.

Trump offers US assistance to France after Notre Dame fire
    | April 16, 2019 01:41 PM
    President Trump offered his condolences to Emmanuel Macron of France along with U.S. assistance in rebuilding Notre Dame Cathedral a day after it was devastated by fire, the White House said on Tuesday.

'In our genes': Russia joins fundraising efforts to restore Notre Dame
    16 hours ago -

There are some controversies emerging too:

Trump and Pence tweeted about Notre Dame fire but said nothing when 3 black churches burned
    April 16
    https://www.washingtonpost.com/polit...urches-burned/

April 15, 2019
    Fox News Guest Calls French ‘Godless People’ After Notre Dame Fire, Says ‘No Sense Of Christianity’ Outside

Claiming that polls show that France has now embraced “secularism,” the 59-year-old Steyn told Fox host Tucker Carlson, “the French are even by the standards of the modern Western world among the most Godless people,” as quoted by Media Matters For America.

Also heard call on Trump to reject support from one of his major evangelical backers pastor John Hagee who had in the past called Catholic Church 'False Cult' and 'Great Whore'.

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by enhanced_deficit View Post
    On the positive side, there is great outpouring of support for French people and Catholics around the world and various fundraisers are going on with offers to help rebuild this historic Catholic landmark. In a way, today we're all Catholics.
    Hah. You clearly missed the video posted above that.

Close confidant of billionaire mogul who pledged €100m to restore Notre Dame says donations should be 90% tax deductible – which would land French public with almost all the bill

Former French culture minister Jean-Jacques Aillagon made the suggestion before the flames in the cathedral had been extinguished.

The effect of such a policy would be to shift most of the bill to French taxpayers.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...eductible.html

https://twitter.com/AnandWrites/stat...79817994838016

Contest for designs to "rebuild" the spire? Restoration vs Rebuilding - not the same!

I don't like the sound of this - a global contest to redesign Notre-Dame's spire. Will they resist the urge to turn it into some diversity scheme, favoring a new design indicative of globalism, with some creation that can represent "all" ethnicities and religions - rather than the catholic church it is? Not bloody likely!

This needs to be a restoration, not an alteration of the design.

A true "restoration", means all repairs are done using methods identical to those used in the original. (Did you know?) It's a discipline typically reserved for old houses, historic buildings, artistic & museum objects - so that's what the speaker was referring to when stating that there were no trees large enough to properly restore the spire. (Bertrand de Feydeau, vice president of preservation group Fondation du Patrimoine - see above: http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthr...in-Paris/page5 )

I agree that in this case, they'd be better off using some modern techniques, such as steel for the frame. All aesthetic stuff though, should adhere to the same craftsmanship and same design as the original (with the possibility of using modern preservatives on the exterior to enhance weather resistance.)

France launches global contest to design new Notre-Dame spire
    Clare BYRNE and Joseph SCHMID
    AFP News 17 April 2019

France will invite architects from around the world to submit designs for rebuilding the spire of Notre-Dame cathedral that was destroyed in a devastating blaze, Prime Minister Edouard Philippe said Wednesday.

The goal is "to give Notre-Dame a new spire that is adapted to the techniques and the challenges of our era," Philippe told reporters a day after President Emmanuel Macron vowed to rebuild the cathedral "even more beautifully" within five years...

https://sg.news.yahoo.com/investigat...084844411.html
    Last edited by Valli6; 04-17-2019 at 09:59 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by goldenequity View Post
    Close confidant of billionaire mogul who pledged €100m to restore Notre Dame says donations should be 90% tax deductible – which would land French public with almost all the bill

Former French culture minister Jean-Jacques Aillagon made the suggestion before the flames in the cathedral had been extinguished.

The effect of such a policy would be to shift most of the bill to French taxpayers.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...eductible.html
    You don’t become a billionaire by giving away money.

Charity is an investment. Start a charity with $1 million, gather donations of $100 million, get government to match, and you now control much more money than you started with. Money is power. Add in various tax breaks, and you have saved more money than your original investment. The big bonus is that you can advertise to the public and to God that you are a great person!
    "Foreign aid is taking money from the poor people of a rich country, and giving it to the rich people of a poor country." - Ron Paul
    "Beware the Military-Industrial-Financial-Pharma-Corporate-Internet-Media-Government Complex." - B4L update of General Dwight D. Eisenhower
    "Debt is the drug, Wall St. Banksters are the dealers, and politicians are the addicts." - B4L
    "Totally free immigration? I've never taken that position. I believe in national sovereignty." - Ron Paul

Proponent of real science.
    The views and opinions expressed here are solely my own, and do not represent this forum or any other entities or persons.

Quote Originally Posted by dannno View Post
    Because that's so much different than when I read loads of comments laughing about the tsunami that engulfed an Indonesian mosque on video back in December.

Hateful religious types gonna be hateful, regardless of which religion they ascribe to. I doubt neither Jesus nor Muhammad would respond to these incidents as many of their claimed "followers" do.
    "Let it not be said that we did nothing."-Ron Paul

"We have set them on the hobby-horse of an idea about the absorption of individuality by the symbolic unit of COLLECTIVISM. They have never yet and they never will have the sense to reflect that this hobby-horse is a manifest violation of the most important law of nature, which has established from the very creation of the world one unit unlike another and precisely for the purpose of instituting individuality."- A Quote From Some Old Book

Quote Originally Posted by devil21 View Post
    Because that's so much different than when I read loads of comments laughing about the tsunami that engulfed an Indonesian mosque on video back in December.
    I doubt neither Jesus nor Muhammad would respond to these incidents as many of their claimed "followers" do.
    I don't know about that. Muhammad was no Christ.

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    I really don't like Glenn Beck but is maybe right...

Quote Originally Posted by devil21 View Post
    That's a good point. I agree that the destruction was a tragedy and the reaction was a disgrace. However, Indonesia would be wise not to have millions of such scoffing Christians inundating their immigration system.

Quote Originally Posted by Valli6 View Post
    I don't like the sound of this - a global contest to redesign Notre-Dame's spire. Will they resist the urge to turn it into some diversity scheme, favoring a new design indicative of globalism, with some creation that can represent "all" ethnicities and religions - rather than the catholic church it is? Not bloody likely!

This needs to be a restoration, not an alteration of the design.

A true "restoration", means all repairs are done using methods identical to those used in the original. (Did you know?) It's a discipline typically reserved for old houses, historic buildings, artistic & museum objects - so that's what the speaker was referring to when stating that there were no trees large enough to properly restore the spire. (Bertrand de Feydeau, vice president of preservation group Fondation du Patrimoine - see above: http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthr...in-Paris/page5 )

I agree that in this case, they'd be better off using some modern techniques, such as steel for the frame. All aesthetic stuff though, should adhere to the same craftsmanship and same design as the original (with the possibility of using modern preservatives on the exterior to enhance weather resistance.)
    The spire was not original anyways .It was built in the 1850's. How "authentic" should a rebuild be? It has been "modified" numerous times in its 800 year history. https://qz.com/1596912/should-notre-...fter-the-fire/

For many of the city’s current dwellers, la flèche (the arrow) was as indispensable to Notre Dame’s silhouette as its portly bell towers. But the fallen 305-foot structure didn’t have the same Gothic pedigree. It was added in the 1850s during a restoration led by French architect Eugène Emmanuel Viollet-le-Duc. His inspiration: the 19th- century cathedral of Orleans.
    “This generative Mother-Church is, among the other ancient churches of Paris, a sort of Chimera: she has the head of one, the limbs of another, the body of a third—something of all,” Hugo wrote in the novel itself.
    Hugo being Victor Hugo in his book "The Hunchback of Notre Dame".

The criteria of how to preserve historic monuments has evolved since the restoration wars of the 19th century. The most widely accepted global standards are part of the 1964 Charter of Venice, in which the international community adopted a more Hugo-like approach. Here’s what it says about restoration:

Its aim is to preserve and reveal the aesthetic and historic value of the monument and is based on respect for original material and authentic documents. It must stop at the point where conjecture begins, and in this case moreover any extra work which is indispensable must be distinct from the architectural composition and must bear a contemporary stamp.
    And on replacing lost elements:

Replacements of missing parts must integrate harmoniously with the whole, but at the same time must be distinguishable from the original so that restoration does not falsify the artistic or historic evidence.
    Last edited by Zippyjuan; 04-17-2019 at 01:40 PM.

Notre Dame had two fires start: “”The fire started up near the roof top, while another fire started in the north bell tower,” Picaud told NBC News.”

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

Elitist architects react to the fire which tore through Notre Dame by arguing that the rebuilding should not reflect “white European France.”

One of them literally said: "Its burning feels like an act of liberation”.

Elitist Architects Want Notre Dame Rebuilt to Reflect New Globalist France
    https://summit.news/2019/04/17/eliti...balist-france/

How Should France Rebuild Notre Dame?
    "Any rebuilding should be a reflection not of an old France, or the France that never was — a non-secular, white European France — but a reflection of the France of today, a France that is currently in the making."

“The building was so overburdened with meaning that its burning feels like an act of liberation,” says Patricio del Real, an architecture historian at Harvard University.

https://www.rollingstone.com/culture...s-next-822743/

(parody)
    "Let it not be said that we did nothing." - Dr. Ron Paul. "Stand up for what you believe in, even if you are standing alone." - Sophie Magdalena Scholl
    "War is the health of the State." - Randolph Bourne "Freedom is the answer. ... Now, what's the question?" - Ernie Hancock.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian4Liberty View Post
    You don’t become a billionaire by giving away money.

Charity is an investment. Start a charity with $1 million, gather donations of $100 million, get government to match, and you now control much more money than you started with. Money is power. Add in various tax breaks, and you have saved more money than your original investment. The big bonus is that you can advertise to the public and to God that you are a great person!
    Yup. The Clintons aren't eating Ramen noodles.

28. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by AZJoe View Post
    (parody)
    Funny. Now if someone could do a Trump one about raking out vestibules.

"Let it not be said that we did nothing." - Dr. Ron Paul. "Stand up for what you believe in, even if you are standing alone." - Sophie Magdalena Scholl
    "War is the health of the State." - Randolph Bourne "Freedom is the answer. ... Now, what's the question?" - Ernie Hancock.

Notre Dame had two fires start: “”The fire started up near the roof top, while another fire started in the north bell tower,” Picaud told NBC News.”
    That’s just crazy talk. We were assured by the authorities before the fire was put out that it was an accident. Last news I heard today, they were still waiting for it to be safe for investigators to enter the building and start an investigation. Kind of redundant, as the cause was already pretty much determined.

Here’s a prediction: if they had video of a man in Islamic garb starting the fires and leaving “Allahu akbar” written at the seen, they would still call it an accident. They don’t want to give them credit, they don’t want to create fear, and it doesn’t fit their political agenda. Pretty basic actually. There is no reason for them to say anything other than “accident”.
    "Foreign aid is taking money from the poor people of a rich country, and giving it to the rich people of a poor country." - Ron Paul
    "Beware the Military-Industrial-Financial-Pharma-Corporate-Internet-Media-Government Complex." - B4L update of General Dwight D. Eisenhower
    "Debt is the drug, Wall St. Banksters are the dealers, and politicians are the addicts." - B4L
    "Totally free immigration? I've never taken that position. I believe in national sovereignty." - Ron Paul

Proponent of real science.
    The views and opinions expressed here are solely my own, and do not represent this forum or any other entities or persons.

They just caught someone possibly trying to burn down St Patric's Cathedral. Went in with two gas cans full of gas. Said his van ran out of gas but they found his van had plenty of gas.

Quote Originally Posted by ATruepatriot View Post
    They just caught someone possibly trying to burn down St Patric's Cathedral. Went in with two gas cans full of gas. Said his van ran out of gas but they found his van had plenty of gas.
    Just a coincidence, I'm sure.

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast