View Poll Results: The discussion in this thread changed my mind

Voters
9. You may not vote on this poll
  • No, I was always right and I am right now.

9 100.00%
  • Somewhat.

0 0%
  • Definitely. I flipped 180.

0 0%
  • Other.

0 0%
Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Trump Steel Tariffs Could Kill Up to 40,000 Auto Jobs, Nearly One-Third of Steel Workforce

Quote Originally Posted by CaptUSA View Post
    Yeah... using government to benefit one politically connected industry at the expense of the others. Yeah, totally different. Because logic!
    That's not true, Trump is using this as an opportunity to negotiate and balance it out so there is less politically connected subsidies and expenses of various industries, globally.

For example, Trump is going to Mexico now and asking for lower tariffs across the board, including reducing our steel and aluminum tariff for them. Trump is working the wall into the deal so that we won't have to pay for it.
    "He's talkin' to his gut like it's a person!!" -me
    "dumpster diving isn't professional." - angelatc
    "You don't need a medical degree to spot obvious bullshit, that's actually a separate skill." -Scott Adams
    "When you are divided, and angry, and controlled, you target those 'different' from you, not those responsible [controllers]" -Q

"Each of us must choose which course of action we should take: education, conventional political action, or even peaceful civil disobedience to bring about necessary changes. But let it not be said that we did nothing." - Ron Paul

"Paul said "the wave of the future" is a coalition of anti-authoritarian progressive Democrats and libertarian Republicans in Congress opposed to domestic surveillance, opposed to starting new wars and in favor of ending the so-called War on Drugs."

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by Voluntarist View Post
    And bailouts - let's not forget bailouts
    Thank you for reminding me.

You know what AF, maybe there shouldn't be a US auto industry, the unionized, mismanaged, bastard children of the state.
    “The nationalist not only does not disapprove of atrocities committed by his own side, but he has a remarkable capacity for not even hearing about them.” --George Orwell

Quote Originally Posted by AuH20 View Post
    In terms of a full spectrum candidate, Rand is leaps and bounds above Trump. I'm not disputing that.
    Who else in public life has called for a pre-emptive strike on North Korea?--Donald Trump

4. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by dannno View Post
    That's not true, Trump is using this as an opportunity to negotiate and balance it out so there is less politically connected subsidies and expenses of various industries, globally.

For example, Trump is going to Mexico now and asking for lower tariffs across the board, including reducing our steel and aluminum tariff for them. Trump is working the wall into the deal so that we won't have to pay for it.
    Listen to yourself! You are saying Trump is impoverishing our citizens to use as leverage to force other countries to stop impoverishing theirs! And you think this is the proper role of government! What the hell has happened to this place?!

Oh I know...
    "And now that the legislators and do-gooders have so futilely inflicted so many systems upon society, may they finally end where they should have begun: May they reject all systems, and try liberty; for liberty is an acknowledgment of faith in God and His works." - Bastiat

"It is difficult to free fools from the chains they revere." - Voltaire

RPF 2008 - "Government shouldn't be picking winners and losers!"
    RPF 2018 - "uh, nevermind"

So sad.
    This

Listen to yourself! You are saying Trump is impoverishing our citizens to use as leverage to force other countries to stop impoverishing theirs! And you think this is the proper role of government! What the hell has happened to this place?!

Oh I know...

You aren't listening to what I'm saying at all. The overall tariffs paid, in either direction, will be MUCH lower. That is what Trump is negotiating. You aren't even THINKING about tariffs going in the other direction, or the fact that we pay them to other governments to tap into their markets and sell to other people.

Do you only care about taxes we pay to the US govt., do you NOT care about taxes we pay to other countries, and that it creates huge trade imbalances which are now going to dissolve and allow our country to be way more productive?
    "You don't need a medical degree to spot obvious bullshit, that's actually a separate skill." -Scott Adams
    "When you are divided, and angry, and controlled, you target those 'different' from you, not those responsible [controllers]" -Q

"Each of us must choose which course of action we should take: education, conventional political action, or even peaceful civil disobedience to bring about necessary changes. But let it not be said that we did nothing." - Ron Paul

"Paul said "the wave of the future" is a coalition of anti-authoritarian progressive Democrats and libertarian Republicans in Congress opposed to domestic surveillance, opposed to starting new wars and in favor of ending the so-called War on Drugs."

So sad.
    Government already picked winners and losers, they picked us as the loser. Now Trump is reversing that with these deals. Trump isn't done, he is using these tariffs to wheel and deal and balance things out.

Ya, it would be better to have a completely free market, but we can't do that here let-a-lone in other countries. So Trump is balancing out the trade deals so there is less corruption, picking winners and losers, etc.

If you don't understand, maybe you should sit back, pay attention and watch instead of marching around yelling and defending a CFR article.

Other politicians, that the CFR controls btw, they are controlled by special interests and pick winners and losers. They are attacking Trump because they don't control him, and he is making deals for the American people for once.
    Last edited by dannno; 03-11-2018 at 02:11 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by The Northbreather View Post
    This
    Is totally incorrect.

The whole idea of the government not picking winners is because the government can't pick winners. If people were good in business and therefore good at picking winners, then they wouldn't go into politics. The government is picking "winners" but they are basically just the governments cronies, eventually they are going to back the wrong horse with too much money for taxpayers to bail out.

Is totally incorrect.
    THIS time we’re going to do it right. We’ve meddled with things before and just made things worse in the long run but THIS time, THIS issue, it’ll work. Trust me.....

Quote Originally Posted by The Northbreather View Post
    THIS time we’re going to do it right. We’ve meddled with things before and just made things worse in the long run but THIS time, THIS issue, it’ll work. Trust me.....
    Trump isn't controlled by the deep state, hence the OP.. I'm not sure if you noticed it was written by the CFR and all deep state folks have been rabidly anti-Trump.

13. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Trump isn't controlled by the deep state, hence the OP.. I'm not sure if you noticed it was written by the CFR and all deep state folks have been rabidly anti-Trump.
    What is "deep state"? Is it Goldman Sachs? The Military Industrial Complex? Government insiders? (Trump administration is full of these people).

Quote Originally Posted by Zippyjuan View Post
    What is "deep state"? Is it Goldman Sachs? The Military Industrial Complex? Government insiders? (Trump administration is full of these people).
    Keep your friends close and your enemies closer.

He has not been taking their advice on very many issues, in fact he has used them as a bellweather on what NOT to do... and his patience is starting to run short on the war stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by kcchiefs6465 View Post
    No US auto industry if not for tariffs, huh?

Next you'll tell me there wouldn't be schools without taxes.

The benevolent government, protecting US industry. You think they give a $#@! about American workers?

They tax and debase and drive the middle class into poverty yet they are the protecters of the vulnerable? You barely have to scratch the surface to smell bull$#@!.
    No I don't, I think that was just an unintended consequence that worked out for the average mundane for once.

Keep your friends close and your enemies closer.

He has not been taking their advice on very many issues, in fact he has used them as a bellweather on what NOT to do... and his patience is starting to run short on the war stuff.
    It was his choice to give the Generals more power.

https://www.washingtontimes.com/news...ce-on-militar/

Unlike Obama, Trump defers to generals’ advice on military strategy

The same President Trump who can be gruff and erratic in public tweets is a commander in chief who is deferential and attentive when he talks to a star-studded cast of his closest military advisers.

People familiar with the budding relationships portray Mr. Trump as often in listening mode among his generals and as accessible as the next phone call. They contrast the billionaire real estate developer’s affinity for the top brass with former President Barack Obama’s documented standoffishness.

The Tomahawk strike on Syria on Friday underscores that Washington’s warrior class is again in charge of presenting military options to the White House instead of the other way around.

With three Marines and a soldier always nearby, perhaps no president in recent memory has surrounded himself on a daily basis with so many senior generals and their strategic brainpower.
    More at link.

Quote Originally Posted by kcchiefs6465 View Post
    Thank you for reminding me.

You know what AF, maybe there shouldn't be a US auto industry, the unionized, mismanaged, bastard children of the state.
    You know, the US auto industry was the envy of the world, for over eight decades.

You know when it fell apart and started requiring bailouts?

Precisely at the same time that government stuck it's stupid head into the game and started mandating and demanding, through fatwas issued by unelected and unaccountable bureaucrats and minions.

So sad.
    ^^this^^

I frankly could care less if American auto makers lose. They have been bailed out numerous times over the decades. I swore never to buy an American car again. I will gladly pay extra due to tariffs for a Japanese or German vehicle than either GM or Chrysler.
    Last edited by Pauls' Revere; 03-11-2018 at 04:58 PM.

We're being governed ruled by a geriatric Alzheimer patient/puppet whose strings are being pulled by an elitist oligarchy who believe they can manage the world... imagine the utter maniacal, sociopathic hubris!

Quote Originally Posted by Anti Federalist View Post
    You know, the US auto industry was the envy of the world, for over eight decades.

You know when it fell apart and started requiring bailouts?

Precisely at the same time that government stuck it's stupid head into the game and started mandating and demanding, through fatwas issued by unelected and unaccountable bureaucrats and minions.
    And the sons and daughters of those auto workers who once went to their employers to demand raises, now work (if they work at all) at fast food restaurants and cry to the government for minimum wage increases and free housing.

This is all by design, you know.

People argue that "free trade" is not to blame, but the Federal Reserve and it's policies. I argue from the position that they are both to blame, because without all the policies specifically geared towards chasing out decent-paying middle-class US jobs and encouraging cheap credit-bought garbage to flow into the country, people would have quickly realized just how worthless their FRN's were becoming, and the revolution would have happened long ago.
    Quote Originally Posted by timosman View Post
    This is getting silly.
    Quote Originally Posted by Swordsmyth View Post
    It started silly.
    T.S. Eliot's The Hollow Men

"One of the penalties for refusing to participate in politics is that you end up being governed by your inferiors." - Plato

We Are Running Out of Time - Mini Me

Quote Originally Posted by Philhelm
    I part ways with "libertarianism" when it transitions from ideology grounded in logic into self-defeating autism for the sake of ideological purity.

Quote Originally Posted by nobody's_hero View Post
    And the sons and daughters of those auto workers who once went to their employers to demand raises, now work (if they work at all) at fast food restaurants and cry to the government for minimum wage increases and free housing.

People argue that "free trade" is not to blame, but the Federal Reserve and it's policies. I argue from the position that they are both to blame, because without all the policies specifically geared towards chasing out decent-paying middle-class US jobs and encouraging cheap credit-bought garbage to flow into the country, people would have quickly realized just how worthless their FRN's were becoming, and the revolution would have happened long ago.
    ^^^THIS^^^
    Never attempt to teach a pig to sing; it wastes your time and annoys the pig.

Robert Heinlein

Give a man an inch and right away he thinks he's a ruler

Groucho Marx

I love mankind…it’s people I can’t stand.

Linus, from the Peanuts comic

You cannot have liberty without morality and morality without faith

Alexis de Torqueville

Those who fail to learn from the past are condemned to repeat it.
    Those who learn from the past are condemned to watch everybody else repeat it

A Zero Hedge comment

22. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    I still don't understand why so called "libertarians" think it is ethical to profit off other governments robbing their own citizens money and our citizens jobs and market opportunities.

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

That was how they got to be high paying jobs- unions. Otherwise they would have been just another low paying manufacturing job.

High paying jobs tend to either require highly specialized knowledge (like tech jobs), Union, or governmental.
    Last edited by Zippyjuan; 03-11-2018 at 05:55 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Zippyjuan View Post
    That was how they got to be high paying jobs- unions. Otherwise they would have been just another low paying manufacturing job.
    Which still would pay better than flipping burgers.

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

Quote Originally Posted by nobody's_hero;6600932[B
    ]And the sons and daughters of those auto workers who once went to their employers to demand raises, now work (if they work at all) at fast food restaurants and cry to the government for minimum wage increases and free housing.[/B]

Those people should have never had those jobs. The union workers (and management) were overpaid. It is interesting that everyone talks about evil, greedy Wall Street. How about calling out the greed of the UAW? What does it tell you that these people can't hack it at a minimum wage job? How valuable were they really? America made crappy, expensive cars. Foreign competition forced car companies to make a better, cheaper product. I can't relate to this kind of nostalgia for the bad old days of America business being second rate.

Here is a better explanation. The US manufactures more now than at any point in history. Automation now does the job that some meathead did who formerly got paid $60 an hour. The end.
    Last edited by Krugminator2; 03-11-2018 at 06:03 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Krugminator2 View Post
    Those people should have never had those jobs. The union workers (and management) were overpaid. It is interesting that everyone talks about evil, greedy Wall Street. How about calling out the greed of the UAW? What does it tell you that these people can't hack it at a minimum wage job? How valuable were they really? America made crappy, expensive cars. Foreign competition forced car companies to make a better, cheaper product. I can't relate to this kind of nostalgia for the bad old days of America business being second rate.

Here is a better explanation. The US manufactures more now than at any point in history. Automation now does the job that some meathead did who formerly got paid $60 an hour. The end.
    What you say might be true (although it ignores the military and economic independence angle) if the other countries weren't tariffing our products and subsidizing theirs.

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

Quote Originally Posted by Pauls' Revere View Post
    ^^this^^

I frankly could care less if American auto makers lose. They have been bailed out numerous times over the decades. I swore never to buy an American car again. I will gladly pay extra due to tariffs for a Japanese or German vehicle than either GM or Chrysler.
    LOL, more than likely, that Japanese or German vehicle is made right here.

Quote Originally Posted by Krugminator2 View Post

To be clear, before I'm dogpiled by the "free marketeers" who think they've found a gap in my argument, I'm not saying unions are without sin.

In lots of cases, including and especially the UAW, they negotiated themselves right out of a job. But for a long time, manufacturing was "the" middle-class job to have. Nothing has filled that gap, except welfare handouts and a general sense of entitlement which now is the norm, and if you're a socialist in DC looking to rid america of the middle class, you must see to it that you do everything in your power to see those jobs eradicated. I would say they succeeded, considering when those companies said they were leaving, TPTB practically helped them pack their bags.

Even still, if you held a gun to my head and told me to choose between overpaid unionized workers in the private sector or welfare kings and queens with hands stretched outward with intent to live on the public dollar, I would, without hesitation, choose the former. One might bring down a company, but the others will bring down a nation.
    Last edited by nobody's_hero; 03-11-2018 at 06:26 PM.
    This is getting silly.
    It started silly.

"One of the penalties for refusing to participate in politics is that you end up being governed by your inferiors." - Plato

I part ways with "libertarianism" when it transitions from ideology grounded in logic into self-defeating autism for the sake of ideological purity.

And have a +rep.

This is exactly right.

31. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Even still, if you held a gun to my head and told me to choose between overpaid unionized workers in the private sector or welfare kings and queens with hands stretched outward, I would, without hesitation, choose the former. One might bring down a company, but the others will bring down a nation.
    And this.

I'm out of ammo though...

Toyota's North American HQ is in Texas, and BMW's largest plant in the world is in South Carolina.
    This is getting silly.
    It started silly.

The automotive industry is totally international. I was reading that the average car part crosses the border seven times before it is finally installed into a completed car. What is an American or Japanese or German or whatever car is harder and harder to determine.

No I don't, I think that was just an unintended consequence that worked out for the average mundane for once.
    The auto industry and its workers experienced a couple periods of hard times because of those tariffs. They got away with selling substandard $#@! to Americans, and nearly went out of business twice when their poor decisions finally came home to roost.

If protectionist tariffs are so great, why does a protected industry additionally require bailouts?
    Pinochet is the model
    Liberty preserving authoritarianism.
    Enforced internal open borders was one of the worst elements of the Constitution.

Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast