Thread: Thomas Friedman's Perverse Love Affair With ISIS

Thomas Friedman's Perverse Love Affair With ISIS

So even moderate neocons like NYT's Tommy Friedman support ISIS presence in Syria/continued ISIS bloodbath there and not just hardcore neocons :

Saturday, April 15, 2017
    by Fairness and Accuracy In Reporting (FAIR)

by Adam Johnson

A still from an Islamic State (ISIS) propaganda video. (Screenshot via NBC News)

For the second time in as many years, Thomas Friedman has explicitly advocated that the United States use the so-called Islamic State in Iraq and Syria as a proxy force against Syria, Russia, Iran and Hezbollah. The New York Times foreign affairs columnist made this suggestion in his Wednesday column, “Why Is Trump Fighting ISIS in Syria?” (4/12/17):
    Why should our goal right now be to defeat the Islamic State in Syria? Of course, ISIS is detestable and needs to be eradicated. But is it really in our interest to be focusing solely on defeating ISIS in Syria right now?…
    We could simply back off fighting territorial ISIS in Syria and make it entirely a problem for Iran, Russia, Hezbollah and Assad. After all, they’re the ones overextended in Syria, not us. Make them fight a two-front war—the moderate rebels on one side and ISIS on the other. If we defeat territorial ISIS in Syria now, we will only reduce the pressure on Assad, Iran, Russia and Hezbollah and enable them to devote all their resources to crushing the last moderate rebels in Idlib, not sharing power with them.

https://www.commondreams.org/views/2...ve-affair-isis

Related

Poll: Will Neocons-Al Qaeda alliance end well?

Netanyahu advised US against attacking ISIS, wants violence between ISIS-Iran

Israel ‘Concerned’ over US War On ISIS

ISIS and Israel to attack Hezbullah in Lebanon

No need to panic ; Former CIA deputy station chief discusses ISIS with Iraqi Sunni leaders

Syria: The Strange US/Israel/Al-Qaeda Ménage à Trois

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by enhanced_deficit View Post
    For the second time in as many years, Thomas Friedman has explicitly advocated that the United States use the so-called Islamic State in Iraq and Syria as a proxy force against Syria, Russia, Iran and Hezbollah.
    Washington already has.
    "Let it not be said that we did nothing." - Dr. Ron Paul. "Stand up for what you believe in, even if you are standing alone." - Sophie Magdalena Scholl
    "War is the health of the State." - Randolph Bourne "Freedom is the answer. ... Now, what's the question?" - Ernie Hancock.

"Let it not be said that we did nothing." - Dr. Ron Paul. "Stand up for what you believe in, even if you are standing alone." - Sophie Magdalena Scholl
    "War is the health of the State." - Randolph Bourne "Freedom is the answer. ... Now, what's the question?" - Ernie Hancock.

wow, elitist agenda propagator extraordinaire, NY Swines
    Last edited by Dark_Horse_Rider; 04-17-2017 at 12:02 AM.

Besides Trump's claims, some other very controversial claims have also been made about DGP's political slave masters/owners' role.
    There should be Congressional investigation given serious nature of charges.

Israeli Intel Chief: We Don’t Want ISIS Defeated in Syria

23/06/2016

Says ISIS Faces Difficulty, Loss Would Put Israel in ‘Hard Position’

by Jason Ditz
    In a speech at the Herzliya Conference, Israel’s military intelligence chief, Major General Herzi Halevy, took Israel’s long-standing position that it “prefers ISIS” over the Syrian government to a whole ‘nother level, declaring openly that Israel does not want to see ISIS defeated in the war.

Quoted in the Hebrew-language NRG site, linked to Maariv, Maj. Gen. Halevy expressed concern about the recent offensives against ISIS territory, saying that in the last three months the Islamist group was facing the “most difficult” situation since its inception and declaration of a caliphate.
    Israeli officials have regularlyexpressed comfort with the idea of ISIS conquering the whole of Syria, saying they find it preferable to the Iran-allied government surviving the war. At the same time, they were never so overtly supportive of ISIS and its survival.

http://www.defenddemocracy.press/isr...efeated-syria/

Thomas Friedman

Thomas Friedman, the Mustachioed Moron who once proclaimed U.S. soldiers must shove their guns into the face of random Arabs and tell them to "suck on this," prostrates himself and metaphorically (and maybe literally) fellates Clown Prince MBS

The Moustache of Understanding, Thomas Friedman, has written the probably most embarrassing fanfiction ever ...

Friedman once said that U.S. soldiers must shove their guns into the face of random Arabs and tell them to "suck on this". How things change. Friedman now went to Riyadh to suck on whatever side of his abdomen Mohammed bin Salman shoved into his mustached mouth:

We met at night at his family’s ornate adobe-walled palace in Ouja, north of Riyadh. M.B.S. spoke in English, while his brother, Prince Khalid, the new Saudi ambassador to the U.S., and several senior ministers shared different lamb dishes and spiced the conversation. After nearly four hours together, I surrendered at 1:15 a.m. to M.B.S.’s youth, pointing out that I was exactly twice his age. It’s been a long, long time, though, since any Arab leader wore me out with a fire hose of new ideas about transforming his country.

[Friedman's Innuendo Rehash: We met at night at his family’s ornate adobe-walled palace ... shared different lamb dishes and spiced the conversation. After nearly four hours together, I surrendered ... to M.B.S.’s youth ... I was exactly twice his age. It’s been a long, long time ... since any Arab ... wore me out with a fire hose] ...

Only two years exactly, or four Friedman units, have passed since he last fellatiated MbS like this:
    I spent an evening with Mohammed bin Salman at his office, and he wore me out.

Friedman's Love Letter to a War Criminal largely ignores the famine in Yemen caused by the U.S.-Saudi blockade ... The Saudi tyrant promised to lift the blockade two days ago only to keep it up and to even tighten it since. ...

Friedman falsely claims that MbS is a "lawyer by training,..". Since when is a Bachelor degree in Islamic law - the only academic training MbS claims to have - sufficient to join a legal bar?

Friedman goes on to repeat the ridiculous claim that the tyrant's brutal shakedown of his local competition is following some rule of law ...

Saudi Arabia is an absolute monarchy. What part of "absolute" is so difficult to understand? King Salman's decree gave his son's shakedown committee absolute authority ...

There is no "public prosecutor" or "rule of law" involved in that mass rape. Moreover, the kings decree immunizes MbS of any consequences. It exempts his committee "from laws, regulations, instructions, orders and decisions" ...

All is well, Friedman says, because the few people he was allowed to talk to, knew their script well:
    Not a single Saudi I spoke to here over three days expressed anything other than effusive support for this anticorruption drive.

No Saudi speaks out against that drive because doing so might get him killed. Anything less than "effusive support" for the clown prince constitutes "terrorism" ...

The law, introduced earlier this month, includes penalties of up to 10 years in jail for insulting the king and crown prince, as well as the death penalty for other acts of "terrorism", according to Saudi Gazette and other local news media.

Friedman. won't go to jail. He pens down whatever the Saudi ruler and his entourage tell him to - or not to write. He says as much:
    Indeed, M.B.S. instructed me: "Do not write ..."

Thus, Saudi Arabia, which is funding thousands of extremist Wahhabi mosques all around the world, will now become the beacon of liberal Islam....
    The whole piece is a terrible embarrassment ...

One wonders why the mustache felt the need to suck up all the crap MbS offered ... Then again - some "youth" to "surrender to" and a "fire hose" to "wore him out" for "a long, long time" might have been an enticing compensation.

Quote Originally Posted by AZJoe View Post
    Thomas Friedman, the Mustachioed Moron who once proclaimed U.S. soldiers must shove their guns into the face of random Arabs and tell them to "suck on this," prostrates himself and metaphorically (and maybe literally) fellates Clown Prince MBS

The Moustache of Understanding, Thomas Friedman, has written the probably most embarrassing fanfiction ever ...

Friedman once said that U.S. soldiers must shove their guns into the face of random Arabs and tell them to "suck on this". How things change. Friedman now went to Riyadh to suck on whatever side of his abdomen Mohammed bin Salman shoved into his mustached mouth:

We met at night at his family’s ornate adobe-walled palace in Ouja, north of Riyadh. M.B.S. spoke in English, while his brother, Prince Khalid, the new Saudi ambassador to the U.S., and several senior ministers shared different lamb dishes and spiced the conversation. After nearly four hours together, I surrendered at 1:15 a.m. to M.B.S.’s youth, pointing out that I was exactly twice his age. It’s been a long, long time, though, since any Arab leader wore me out with a fire hose of new ideas about transforming his country.

[Friedman's Innuendo Rehash: We met at night at his family’s ornate adobe-walled palace ... shared different lamb dishes and spiced the conversation. After nearly four hours together, I surrendered ... to M.B.S.’s youth ... I was exactly twice his age. It’s been a long, long time ... since any Arab ... wore me out with a fire hose] ...

Only two years exactly, or four Friedman units, have passed since he last fellatiated MbS like this:
    I spent an evening with Mohammed bin Salman at his office, and he wore me out.

Friedman's Love Letter to a War Criminal largely ignores the famine in Yemen caused by the U.S.-Saudi blockade ... The Saudi tyrant promised to lift the blockade two days ago only to keep it up and to even tighten it since. ...

Friedman falsely claims that MbS is a "lawyer by training,..". Since when is a Bachelor degree in Islamic law - the only academic training MbS claims to have - sufficient to join a legal bar?

Friedman goes on to repeat the ridiculous claim that the tyrant's brutal shakedown of his local competition is following some rule of law ...

Saudi Arabia is an absolute monarchy. What part of "absolute" is so difficult to understand? King Salman's decree gave his son's shakedown committee absolute authority ...

There is no "public prosecutor" or "rule of law" involved in that mass rape. Moreover, the kings decree immunizes MbS of any consequences. It exempts his committee "from laws, regulations, instructions, orders and decisions" ...

All is well, Friedman says, because the few people he was allowed to talk to, knew their script well:
    Not a single Saudi I spoke to here over three days expressed anything other than effusive support for this anticorruption drive.

No Saudi speaks out against that drive because doing so might get him killed. Anything less than "effusive support" for the clown prince constitutes "terrorism" ...

The law, introduced earlier this month, includes penalties of up to 10 years in jail for insulting the king and crown prince, as well as the death penalty for other acts of "terrorism", according to Saudi Gazette and other local news media.

Friedman. won't go to jail. He pens down whatever the Saudi ruler and his entourage tell him to - or not to write. He says as much:
    Indeed, M.B.S. instructed me: "Do not write ..."

Thus, Saudi Arabia, which is funding thousands of extremist Wahhabi mosques all around the world, will now become the beacon of liberal Islam....
    The whole piece is a terrible embarrassment ...

One wonders why the mustache felt the need to suck up all the crap MbS offered ... Then again - some "youth" to "surrender to" and a "fire hose" to "wore him out" for "a long, long time" might have been an enticing compensation.
    It sounds like the kind of oobleck the American elite used to write about Mussolini, will MBS make the trains run on time?
    Last edited by Swordsmyth; 12-05-2017 at 09:25 PM.
    Never attempt to teach a pig to sing; it wastes your time and annoys the pig.

Robert Heinlein

Give a man an inch and right away he thinks he's a ruler

Groucho Marx

I love mankind…it’s people I can’t stand.

Linus, from the Peanuts comic

You cannot have liberty without morality and morality without faith

Alexis de Torqueville

Those who fail to learn from the past are condemned to repeat it.
    Those who learn from the past are condemned to watch everybody else repeat it

A Zero Hedge comment

Middle East Scholars Call Out Thomas Friedman's Published Love Ballad to bin Salman with Open Letter:

We … express our amazement, concern and anger that the New York Times would publish Thomas Friedman‘s recent essay “Saudi Arabia’s Arab Spring, At Last.”

Mr. Friedman’s description of the situation in Saudi Arabia is so divorced from reality as to call into question his competence as a journalist or opinion writer. The so-called “Arab Spring” was an attempt … force their governments to democratize their political systems; to resist stifling of speech and expression; and to halt large-scale systematic torture and physical abuse of citizens by security forces. Not only has the Saudi Crown Prince Muhammad bin Salman not addressed any of these issues, all the evidence points to the opposite conclusion—that his growing power has been accompanied by a ramping up of censorship, arrests, imprisonments without (fair) trials and other forms of violent repression against dissent. …

Mr. Friedman has nary a word on the unmitigated disaster that is the Saudi war in Yemen, … bin Salman’s leading role in executing this illegal, murderous war that has done immeasurable harm to tens of millions of Yemenis and thrown the entire Arabian peninsula and Gulf region into chaos is incontrovertible. … giving him a pass for being the mastermind of an illegal war that has devastated the lives of millions, and today borders on genocide. …

Indeed, it’s hard not to wonder whether there was some sort of quid pro quo between the writer and the prince for publishing such a ridiculous piece. This is not opinion writing; it’s pure propaganda. The New York Times should be ashamed of itself for printing Friedman’s column ...

Sheila Carapico, University of Richmond
    Lisa Hajjar, University of California Santa Barbara
    Toby C. Jones, Rutgers University
    Mark LeVine, University of California Irvine
    Joshua Stacher, Kent State University
    Bob Vitalis, University of Pennsylvania
    Jessica Winegar, Northwestern University

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.

So this neocon !@#$%^bag called into ABC's Stephanopolous election show right afetr they declared Biden 'Prez Elect' and called Trump a 'terribale man' and bunch of other names citing "phone calls he was getting from Israel, India".

Maybe Trump was doing some good things too if neocons like him are so pleased to see him replaced by Biden.