Thread: How bitcoin mining is heating a home for free

How bitcoin mining is heating a home for free

Published on Nov 3, 2017
    An entrepreneur in Siberia is building homes that are kept warm for free by mining bitcoins.

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Wow glad you changed your mind, see how resourceful people can be when they are free?
    "He's talkin' to his gut like it's a person!!" -me
    "dumpster diving isn't professional." - angelatc
    "You don't need a medical degree to spot obvious bullshit, that's actually a separate skill." -Scott Adams
    "When you are divided, and angry, and controlled, you target those 'different' from you, not those responsible [controllers]" -Q

"Each of us must choose which course of action we should take: education, conventional political action, or even peaceful civil disobedience to bring about necessary changes. But let it not be said that we did nothing." - Ron Paul

"Paul said "the wave of the future" is a coalition of anti-authoritarian progressive Democrats and libertarian Republicans in Congress opposed to domestic surveillance, opposed to starting new wars and in favor of ending the so-called War on Drugs."

Quote Originally Posted by dannno View Post
    Wow glad you changed your mind, see how resourceful people can be when they are free?
    What gave you the idea? I think the title of the video should be - How bitcoin mining is wasting electricity.

Quote Originally Posted by timosman View Post
    What gave you the idea? I think the title of the video should be - How bitcoin mining is wasting electricity.
    So you would prefer they waste electricity heating their home, and not simultaneously mine bitcoin which may help defeat the strangehold the central banks have over the people??? That sounds pretty wasteful to me.
    "You don't need a medical degree to spot obvious bullshit, that's actually a separate skill." -Scott Adams
    "When you are divided, and angry, and controlled, you target those 'different' from you, not those responsible [controllers]" -Q

"Each of us must choose which course of action we should take: education, conventional political action, or even peaceful civil disobedience to bring about necessary changes. But let it not be said that we did nothing." - Ron Paul

"Paul said "the wave of the future" is a coalition of anti-authoritarian progressive Democrats and libertarian Republicans in Congress opposed to domestic surveillance, opposed to starting new wars and in favor of ending the so-called War on Drugs."

So you would prefer they waste electricity heating their home, and not simultaneously mine bitcoin which may help defeat the strangehold the central banks have over the people??? That sounds pretty wasteful to me.
    Your ideas go against known laws of physics. Maybe in some alternative universe you could be right.

Your ideas go against known laws of physics. Maybe in some alternative universe you could be right.
    In a universe where some people are cold and need heating in their home?

electricity is abundant, not a finite substance to be saved for your kids.

In a universe where some people are cold and need heating in their home?
    You do realize not all electricity is converted to heat in the CPU? Some of it is actually used for computing.

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    We should know by now that salty no-coiners are correct all the time. It just takes a smirking emoticon at the end. It washes all their blues away of missing the boat.

Quote Originally Posted by muh_roads View Post
    We should know by now that salty no-coiners are correct all the time. It just takes a smirking emoticon at the end. It washes all their blues away of missing the boat.
    What a comeback.

You do realize not all electricity is converted to heat in the CPU? Some of it is actually used for computing.
    Actually in the end it does all get converted to heat..

All energy has to be converted to another form, you can't consume something, and it disappear. Computing is simply routing electricity about, in a a controlled manner, and creating voltage differences, representing 0 or 1 on a massive scale. Even the miniscule amount of energy required to flip a 0 to a 1 on your hard drive will eventually dissipate as heat, as the magnetic field degrades, it effects the material, causing slight warpage, and tension which will result in heat. Or that led light on your computer will emit photons that eventually interact with a surface, and that causes a miniscule amount of heat. OR the radio wave emmisions eventually interact with the environment and cause heat.

Yes, everything eventually turns to heat in a computer. A small amount of that energy may not be transformed in the local system. Even some of the energy is lost in the house wiring from resistance. Unless you store, that energy in another form, it is converted to heat. Otherwise you'd be breaking the laws of physics, and dumping energy consumed into the null. And yes some of the energy is used to flip states on the hard drive, or inside the computer, but even that energy potential eventually dissipates to heat, and even the energy stored in the battery on the motherboard will eventually dissipate as heat or another chemical reaction.

So, for all practical purposes ignoring trivial amounts of power emitted in radio frequencies, temporary magnetic fields, and light, it does get converted to heat.

This wouldn't be shocking to you if you put your hand in front of one of my mining rigs, lots of hot air blowing. constantly. And yep one of my rigs is equivalent to a 1KW space heater effectively.
    Last edited by RonPaulIsGreat; 11-04-2017 at 08:12 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by RonPaulIsGreat View Post

All energy has to be converted to another form, you can't consume something, and it disappear. Even the miniscule amount of energy required to flip a 0 to a 1 on your hard drive will eventually dissipate as heat, as the magnetic field degrades, it effects the material, causing slight warpage, and tension which will result in heat. Or that led light on your computer will emit photons that eventually interact with a surface, and that causes a miniscule amount of heat. OR the radio wave emmisions eventually interact with the environment and cause heat.

Yes, everything eventually turns to heat in a computer. A small amount of that energy may not be transformed in the local system. Even some of the energy is lost in the house wiring from resistance. Unless you store, that energy in another form, it is converted to heat. Otherwise you'd be breaking the laws of physics, and dumping energy consumed into the null. And yes some of the energy is used to flip states on the hard drive, or inside the computer, but even that energy potential eventually dissipates to heat, and even the energy stored in the battery on the motherboard will eventually dissipate as heat or another chemical reaction.

So, for all practical purposes ignoring trivial amounts of power emitted in radio frequencies, temporary magnetic fields, and light, it does get converted to heat.

If we only could capture all that heat we would have a computing machine requiring zero external power. These hardware designers are sure dumb.

Btw, you just described a concept known as a perpetual motion - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Perpetual_motion

According to wikipedia it has been debunked since the Middle Ages.

If we only could capture all that heat we would have a computing machine requiring zero external power. These hardware designers are sure dumb.

Btw, you just described a concept known as a perpetual motion - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Perpetual_motion

According to wikipedia it has been debunked since the Middle Ages.
    Dude, are you retarded, I actually described why perpetual motion machines don't work, which is because you always get less useful energy out of any system than you put in, the rest is converted to heat.

You can't convert the heat back to electricity in a 1:1 manner, there is no way to capture it that efficiently, some will always dissipate into the surrounding environment.

The universe itself though, does not lose energy, it converts it.

Here educate yourself.
    LAWS OF THERMODYNAMICS
    http://www2.estrellamountain.edu/fac...BookEner1.html
    Last edited by RonPaulIsGreat; 11-07-2017 at 12:11 AM.

Dude, are your retarded, I actually described why perpetual motion machines don't work, which is because you always get less useful energy out of any system than you put in, the rest is converted to heat.

You can't convert the heat back to electricity in a 1:1 manner, there is no way to capture it that efficiently, some will always dissipate into the surrounding environment.

The universe itself though, does not lose energy, it converts it.

Here educate yourself.
    LAWS OF THERMODYNAMICS
    http://www2.estrellamountain.edu/fac...BookEner1.html
    Looks like you are finally coming to realization bitcoin mining is not as efficient as straight up electric heating in *heating* the house. I already pointed this out in post #8.

Looks like you are finally coming to realization bitcoin mining is not as efficient as straight up electric heating in *heating* the house. I already pointed this out in post #8.
    edited because went back to your post 8...

MAn, I already said most of the "electricity" energy is converted to heat in computing. No idea how you don't grasp this...

Sure like 99% is converted to heat immediately versus 100% in a "normal" electric heater (not a heat pump) going the 99% route I make like 4 times my power bill cost, So I'll sacrifice the 1% or gosh I'll be generous even 5% in efficiency (in terms of waste heat generated).

In most systems like a computer heat isn't wanted, so it's thought of a waste product, and in the summer it is, but in the winter it's great. I didn't turn on my furnace once last year, and doubtful I will this year either.
    Last edited by RonPaulIsGreat; 11-04-2017 at 11:48 PM.

What a comeback.
    Seriously though, you've been telling ppl to not buy bitcoin for as long as I've been telling people to buy (since $10-$20 in 2012)

At some point you have to admit you were horribly wrong.

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.

All energy has to be converted to another form, you can't consume something, and it disappear. Computing is simply routing electricity about, in a a controlled manner, and creating voltage differences, representing 0 or 1 on a massive scale. Even the miniscule amount of energy required to flip a 0 to a 1 on your hard drive will eventually dissipate as heat, as the magnetic field degrades, it effects the material, causing slight warpage, and tension which will result in heat. Or that led light on your computer will emit photons that eventually interact with a surface, and that causes a miniscule amount of heat. OR the radio wave emmisions eventually interact with the environment and cause heat.

This wouldn't be shocking to you if you put your hand in front of one of my mining rigs, lots of hot air blowing. constantly. And yep one of my rigs is equivalent to a 1KW space heater effectively.
    I had 100 AMPs of mining rigs one winter, they're wonderful space heaters. I had to open the windows to keep it comfy indoors. In Michigan. Had to scale things down once it got nicer out, Siberia is a good place for mining.
    “…let us teach them that all who draw breath are of equal worth, and that those who seek to press heel upon the throat of liberty, will fall to the cry of FREEDOM!!!” – Spartacus, War of the Damned

BTC: 1AFbCLYU3G1dkbsSJnk3spWeEwpqYVC2Pq

Quote Originally Posted by muh_roads View Post
    Seriously though, you've been telling ppl to not buy bitcoin for as long as I've been telling people to buy (since $10-$20 in 2012)

At some point you have to admit you were horribly wrong.
    use him as a contrarian indicator. the day he starts buying Bitcoin, the current bubble is going to pop. not that i believe Bitcoin is worthless but Bitcoin grows from bubbles to bubbles. Bubbles drives adoption. Price discovery.