View Poll Results: Rand Should Primary Trump?

Voters
13. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, he should

10 76.92%
  • No, he shouldn't

3 23.08%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rand Should Primary Trump

Rand Should Primary Trump

For those of us who voted Yay, a second question:

Rand's been playing this game since summer 2016, whereby he praises a position candidate Trump took during the campaign (mind you: Trump took every position on every issue during the campaign), so as to cover himself for criticizing the actual conduct of Trump as President. For instance, he'll say that Trump's appointment of Bolton runs contrary to his non-interventionist comments as a candidate (feigning ignorance of Trump's long record of extremely interventionist positions, which Rand rightly attacked during the campaign: e.g. re Libya). So, given this tack which Rand has taken (not what I would have advised, but there's a certain logic to it), how might he change his tune re Trump without risking "flip-flopper" accusations?

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    I'd support him if he did.

Yes.

I think Rand is a clear no on running in any future Presidential election. Even though he was the best liberty candidate in history, this past election shows there isn't a market for what he is selling and he has just a few too many gaps in his presentation. My gut instinct is Amash will run on the LP at some point though. Maybe Rand runs LP down the road.

More interesting is if he votes no on Pompeo. Voting no will be a huge deal. If he votes no, I wouldn't be surprised if he is at least considering not running again for Senate
    Last edited by Krugminator2; 04-18-2018 at 04:34 PM.

Turn about is fair play and all...

From February 2016

Trump: Someone Should Primary Rand Paul

https://hotair.com/headlines/archive...ary-rand-paul/

Either run for Senate and do a good job or run for president. You don’t run for president and by the way, if I don’t make it, I will become your senator reluctantly. If I were somebody — a good, strong Republican from Kentucky, I would run against him in a heartbeat. And you would win. Because the people of Kentucky are being used by Rand Paul. Now, think of it. They’re saying is, oh, if he doesn’t make it, we will take him. That’s not the way it works. The people of Kentucky should get a senator that wants to represent them, not a senator where it’s a backup plan. So, if I was in Kentucky, I would run against him. Believe me, I would win. - DJT

Quote Originally Posted by Krugminator2 View Post
    Even though he was the best liberty candidate in history, this past election shows there isn't a market for what he is selling
    Every election shows that.

Freedom is not popular.

Quote Originally Posted by Anti Federalist View Post

Freedom is not popular.

The way a liberty candidate would win is if they have some other overriding popularity and charisma. Reagan (setting aside what people here will say about him) was the most ideologically conservative in a long long time to win. The average person who voted for him did so in spite of that. They voted because he was a smiley face.

I can't think of any libertarian who could overcome the ideological problems a libertarian will face. Maybe Vince Vaughn?
    Last edited by Krugminator2; 04-18-2018 at 04:44 PM.

Why not strike while the Iron's hot!

Rand Paul 2020
    for a Clear Vision
    FLIP THOSE FLAGS, THE NATION IS IN DISTRESS!

why I should worship the state (who apparently is the only party that can possess guns without question).
    The state's only purpose is to kill and control. Why do you worship it? - Sola_Fide

Baptiste said.
    At which point will Americans realize that creating an unaccountable institution that is able to pass its liability on to tax-payers is immoral and attracts sociopaths?

I hope he runs again when he's ready to retire from the Senate, like Ron did from the house.

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by Krugminator2 View Post
    I think Rand is a clear no on running in any future Presidential election. Even though he was the best liberty candidate in history, this past election shows there isn't a market for what he is selling and he has just a few too many gaps in his presentation. My gut instinct is Amash will run on the LP at some point though. Maybe Rand runs LP down the road.

More interesting is if he votes no on Pompeo. Voting no will be a huge deal. If he votes no, I wouldn't be surprised if he is at least considering not running again for Senate
    He won't run again for Senate, I'm quite sure.

Quote Originally Posted by Anti Federalist View Post

Freedom is not popular.
    Who said anything about winning?

I say, go out in a blaze of glory - cash in every respectability chip he's earned over the years and tell it exactly as it is.

One last time.

Quote Originally Posted by r3volution 3.0 View Post
    For those of us who voted Yay, a second question:

Rand's been playing this game since summer 2016, whereby he praises a position candidate Trump took during the campaign (mind you: Trump took every position on every issue during the campaign), so as to cover himself for criticizing the actual conduct of Trump as President. For instance, he'll say that Trump's appointment of Bolton runs contrary to his non-interventionist comments as a candidate (feigning ignorance of Trump's long record of extremely interventionist positions, which Rand rightly attacked during the campaign: e.g. re Libya). So, given this tack which Rand has taken (not what I would have advised, but there's a certain logic to it), how might he change his tune re Trump without risking "flip-flopper" accusations?
    He should run as being more true to Trumpism than Trump has been, MAGA for real like Trump promised and hasn't lived up to.
    Never attempt to teach a pig to sing; it wastes your time and annoys the pig.

Robert Heinlein

Give a man an inch and right away he thinks he's a ruler

Groucho Marx

I love mankind…it’s people I can’t stand.

Linus, from the Peanuts comic

You cannot have liberty without morality and morality without faith

Alexis de Torqueville

Those who fail to learn from the past are condemned to repeat it.
    Those who learn from the past are condemned to watch everybody else repeat it

A Zero Hedge comment

Quote Originally Posted by Swordsmyth View Post
    He should run as being more true to Trumpism than Trump has been, MAGA for real like Trump promised and hasn't lived up to.
    No, if that, it would be better that he not run at all.

For my part, the sole purpose of Rand running would be to kill Trumpism, lock it in a concrete box, and dump in an outhouse where it belongs. So long as the narrative is dominated by Hannity and related clowns spewing nationalist propaganda, nothing will or can improve. If the liberty movement isn't capable of winning elections anymore, so be it, then our last good service to humanity should be to end this abomination. Force people to call a spade a spade.

No, if that, it would be better that he not run at all.

For my part, the sole purpose of Rand running would be to kill Trumpism, lock it in a concrete box, and dump in an outhouse where it belongs. So long as the narrative is dominated by Hannity and related clowns spewing nationalist propaganda, nothing will or can improve. If the liberty movement isn't capable of winning elections anymore, so be it, then our last good service to humanity should be to end this abomination. Force people to call a spade a spade.
    It can be harnessed and bent to our purposes, we must redefine what Trumpism is by emphasizing the parts we like and de-emphasizing the parts we don't, our enemies do it to us all the time, we need to turn it back on them.

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

If Rand Paul thinks that is the best decision, I would support him 100% - but I wouldn't force him to run, so it is tough to know how to vote in this poll... because if he chooses not to, then I don't think he should. I think Rand knows better than I do what he should do in this situation.
    "He's talkin' to his gut like it's a person!!" -me
    "dumpster diving isn't professional." - angelatc
    "You don't need a medical degree to spot obvious bullshit, that's actually a separate skill." -Scott Adams
    "When you are divided, and angry, and controlled, you target those 'different' from you, not those responsible [controllers]" -Q

"Each of us must choose which course of action we should take: education, conventional political action, or even peaceful civil disobedience to bring about necessary changes. But let it not be said that we did nothing." - Ron Paul

"Paul said "the wave of the future" is a coalition of anti-authoritarian progressive Democrats and libertarian Republicans in Congress opposed to domestic surveillance, opposed to starting new wars and in favor of ending the so-called War on Drugs."

It can be harnessed and bent to our purposes, we must redefine what Trumpism is by emphasizing the parts we like and de-emphasizing the parts we don't, our enemies do it to us all the time, we need to turn it back on them.
    I'll wager that there's a neglected but shiny granite wall somewhere in Berlin or Rome which lists the names of people with similar ideas.

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    I'll wager that there's a neglected but shiny granite wall somewhere in Berlin or Rome which lists the names of people with similar ideas.
    Trumpism isn't NAZIsm, trying to fix the Demoncrats would be more like that.

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

Quote Originally Posted by dannno View Post
    If Rand Paul thinks that is the best decision, I would support him 100% - but I wouldn't force him to run, so it is tough to know how to vote in this poll... because if he chooses not to, then I don't think he should. I think Rand knows better than I do what he should do in this situation.
    Yes but taking our temperature might help him decide.

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

Trumpism isn't NAZIsm, trying to fix the Demoncrats would be more like that.
    Not yet (it can't happen here, of course...), but the naivete that you're displaying in thinking that you can somehow co-opt or redirect the energy of the Trumpenproletariat toward liberal goals is very reminiscent of the attitudes displayed by the German upper classes before the deluge (some of whom financed the NSDAP for fear of communists [they didn't understand that the NSDAP was also a communist party, just one which was also racist]). Same with the Russian aristocracy. They almost literally (in some cases literally) dug their own graves - all based on an absurdly inflated opinion of the man on the street (who, to their chagrin, was less inclined to thank than rob and hang them).

Not yet (it can't happen here, of course...), but the naivete that you're displaying in thinking that you can somehow co-opt or redirect the energy of the Trumpenproletariat toward liberal goals is very reminiscent of the attitudes displayed by the German upper classes before the deluge (some of whom financed the NSDAP for fear of communists [they didn't understand that the NSDAP was also a communist party, just one which was also racist]). Same with the Russian aristocracy. They almost literally (in some cases literally) dug their own graves - all based on an absurdly inflated opinion of the man on the street (who, to their chagrin, was less inclined to thank than rob and hang them).

Donating money to a leader you don't control or joining a revolution against your class are different than co-opting the leadership of a movement that is in it's infancy and shares many of your ideals.

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

Donating money to a leader you don't control or joining a revolution against your class are different than co-opting the leadership of a movement that is in it's infancy and shares many of your ideals.
    You believe that most Trump voters share your ideals...?

If you mean wanting to restrict immigration, yep, that's true.

But as far as making government smaller, no, lol, they don't share those values.

Ah, I see we got demoted to the Rand Forum (which, these days, is a kind of exile, isn't it?).

It's important to make sure there's plenty of room for asinine pro-Trump conspiracy theories in US Politics, amiright?

You believe that most Trump voters share your ideals...?
    Many of them.

But as far as making government smaller, no, lol, they don't share those values.
    Yes they do, they may be gullible enough to vote for the lesser of two evils too often but they voted for Trump because they are sick of the RINOs who never follow through on the promises to shrink government, they may not yet want to shrink government as small as I do but they can be lead to or at least lead closer.

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

Yes they do, they may be gullible enough to vote for the lesser of two evils too often but they voted for Trump because they are sick of the RINOs who never follow through on the promises to shrink government, they may not yet want to shrink government as small as I do but they can be lead to or at least lead closer.
    Ah, yes, I remember the big grassroots outcry when the Congress passed and Trump signed a multi-hundred bullion dollar spending increase.

It was like...

28. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Ah, yes, I remember the big grassroots outcry when the Congress passed and Trump signed a multi-hundred bullion dollar spending increase.

It was like...
    Israel is going to drag us into war with Iran so multiple hundred billion dollar spending increases is just water under the bridge.

It was like...

It did hurt him with the base.
    If you were right then there would be no purpose in mounting a primary challenge, only a well financed 3rd party run like Perot would stand a chance.

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

It did hurt him with the base.
    If you were right then there would be no purpose in mounting a primary challenge, only a well financed 3rd party run like Perot would stand a chance.
    Which claim you base on what...?

I mean, you didn't like it, and the four other sort-of-libertarians who've supported Trump were pissed, but the rest?

Which claim you base on what...?

I mean, you didn't like it, and the four other sort-of-libertarians who've supported Trump were pissed, but the rest?
    Many people expressed outrage, that is why people put out the claim that the omnibus is just a suggestion and why rescission was floated.

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

Many people expressed outrage, that is why people put out the claim that the omnibus is just a suggestion and why rescission was floated.
    Since that travesty, Trump's approval ratings have increased, and the generic Congressional ballot has closed toward GOPers.

That would suggest that, at best, Trump's base doesn't care at all about these issues.

...which is also obviously true, if one goes out beyond the Facebook version of reality and talks to people.

Since that travesty, Trump's approval ratings have increased, and the generic Congressional ballot has closed toward GOPers.

That would suggest that, at best, Trump's base doesn't care at all about these issues.
    Or that they are more afraid of the Demoncrats who expose their radicalization more every day.

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast