Thread: CA - San Francisco set to ban fur sales

Exclamation CA - San Francisco set to ban fur sales

The "animal rights" people are nothing but neo-prohibitionists.

This is just another step to the ultimate purpose of banning the sale or possession of any animal products or food.

San Francisco could become largest US city to ban fur sales

https://www.usatoday.com/story/money...les/440877002/

Janie Har | The Associated Press

SAN FRANCISCO — San Francisco could become the largest U.S. city to ban the sale of fur, a move that would hearten animal lovers but frustrate niche business owners who say they are fed up with city officials dictating what retailers can or can't sell.

If the Board of Supervisors approves the ban Tuesday, San Francisco would join two other California cities, West Hollywood and Berkeley, in saying no to a symbol of glamour that animal advocates say is built on cruelty and does not reflect the city's values.

San Francisco has a strong social conscience, often at a cost to businesses. Its board banned the sale of menthol cigarettes and other flavored tobacco, which voters will consider in June, and prohibited performances by exotic animals. In 2016, San Francisco approved what was then a groundbreaking paid parental leave law, requiring private employers to offer six weeks of fully paid leave.

If passed, the fur ban would go into effect Jan. 1 and apply to coats and anything else featuring real fur, including key chains and gloves.

More: Versace joins fashion's no-fur movement

More: Ireland Basinger-Baldwin bares all in PETA anti-fur ad, just like mom Kim Basinger

"I hope that it inspires other cities and the country to take action. Certainly we need better federal regulations on fur farming," said Katy Tang, the supervisor pushing the legislation and avid animal lover. "There's no humane way to raise an animal to peel its skin off."

Some of the tourists who pack downtown San Francisco hotels shop at upscale department stores that crowd Union Square, such as Neiman Marcus and Saks Fifth Avenue, both of which feature fur salons. Larger stores may have an easier time adapting, but smaller businesses might find it more challenging.

Benjamin Lin, 72, owns one of those small businesses. The showroom at B.B. Hawk in the South of Market neighborhood features chinchilla, sable, fox, and Blackglama mink. In a corner, Lin is working on restoring a 60-year-old jacket made of cheetah.

He is considering keeping his current location but selling fur at a smaller place nearby, outside San Francisco.

"I cannot fight it," he said of the ban. "I will not win. I do not have the energy and the money."

Skip Pas, chief executive officer of West Coast Leather, said fur items make up only a small portion of his inventory so he won't be affected much.

But he's appalled that 11 people on a board can arbitrarily tell retailers what they can sell, without a vote by the public, and at a time when the city has more pressing issues, such as dirty streets and homelessness.

"It's the people of San Francisco who should say, 'Yes, it's too much,'" he said. "What's next? They're going to say that you can't have beef and you can't have pork and duck in Chinatown. I mean, it's a little too much."

About 50 clothing and accessory retailers in the downtown and South of Market shopping corridor will be affected by the legislation, said Jim Lazarus, senior vice president of public policy at the San Francisco Chamber of Commerce.

The chamber estimates San Francisco fur sales account for at least $40 million a year. The city's Office of Economic Analysis estimated fur sales at $11 million in 2012, based on census figures.

The city says that even if sales numbers are much higher than its estimate, a prohibition is unlikely to significantly harm the overall local economy.

The proposal would allow the resale of vintage and used fur, but only by outlets not usually in the business of trading fur, such as secondhand stores, pawn shops and nonprofits. Items with fur taken from animals trapped under a state license can be sold.

Tang, the supervisor, said she feels bad for furriers like Lin.

"But I think it is wrong to profit off the backs of animals," she said.
    “Civilizations die from suicide, not by murder.” - Arnold Toynbee

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Leather still ok
    "He's talkin' to his gut like it's a person!!" -me
    "dumpster diving isn't professional." - angelatc
    "You don't need a medical degree to spot obvious bullshit, that's actually a separate skill." -Scott Adams
    "When you are divided, and angry, and controlled, you target those 'different' from you, not those responsible [controllers]" -Q

"Each of us must choose which course of action we should take: education, conventional political action, or even peaceful civil disobedience to bring about necessary changes. But let it not be said that we did nothing." - Ron Paul

"Paul said "the wave of the future" is a coalition of anti-authoritarian progressive Democrats and libertarian Republicans in Congress opposed to domestic surveillance, opposed to starting new wars and in favor of ending the so-called War on Drugs."

Quote Originally Posted by dannno View Post
    Leather still ok
    Give 'em time.

Statists, prohibitionists, authoritarians, tyrants of all stripes, work slowly, incrementally and never, ever give up or say "that's good enough".

I wonder when my cotton shirts will trigger some people.
    Pfizer Macht Frei!

Openly Straight Man, Danke, Awarded Top Rated Influencer. Community Standards Enforcer.

Quiz: Test Your "Income" Tax IQ!

Short Income Tax Video

The Income Tax Is An Excise, And Excise Taxes Are Privilege Taxes

The Federalist Papers, No. 15:

Except as to the rule of appointment, the United States have an indefinite discretion to make requisitions for men and money; but they have no authority to raise either by regulations extending to the individual citizens of America.

Quote Originally Posted by Anti Federalist View Post
    Give 'em time.

Statists, prohibitionists, authoritarians, tyrants of all stripes, work slowly, incrementally and never, ever give up or say "that's good enough".
    Do you think they would raid the annual gay pride parade?
    "He's talkin' to his gut like it's a person!!" -me
    "dumpster diving isn't professional." - angelatc
    "You don't need a medical degree to spot obvious bullshit, that's actually a separate skill." -Scott Adams
    "When you are divided, and angry, and controlled, you target those 'different' from you, not those responsible [controllers]" -Q

"Each of us must choose which course of action we should take: education, conventional political action, or even peaceful civil disobedience to bring about necessary changes. But let it not be said that we did nothing." - Ron Paul

"Paul said "the wave of the future" is a coalition of anti-authoritarian progressive Democrats and libertarian Republicans in Congress opposed to domestic surveillance, opposed to starting new wars and in favor of ending the so-called War on Drugs."

Leather still ok
    They will someday mandate corfam, it's more expensive but think of the animals.
    Never attempt to teach a pig to sing; it wastes your time and annoys the pig.

Robert Heinlein

Give a man an inch and right away he thinks he's a ruler

Groucho Marx

I love mankind…it’s people I can’t stand.

Linus, from the Peanuts comic

You cannot have liberty without morality and morality without faith

Alexis de Torqueville

Those who fail to learn from the past are condemned to repeat it.
    Those who learn from the past are condemned to watch everybody else repeat it

A Zero Hedge comment

Do you think they would raid the annual gay pride parade?
    @Danke is going to have to turn in his collection for "animal friendly" pleather.

Quote Originally Posted by Danke View Post
    I wonder when my cotton shirts will trigger some people.
    Huh?

Oh...

HAHAHAHHAHAHAHA!

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    May they all be blessed with live mink in their homes......

Soddom

Fur is an eco-friendly, natural resource.

This is what happens when hippies turn into yuppies.

Quote Originally Posted by RJB View Post
    Fur is an eco-friendly, natural resource.

This is what happens when hippies turn into yuppies.
    Much better that we bomb brown babies for more oil to make plastics like naugahyde out of.
    Quote Originally Posted by Swordsmyth View Post
    You only want the freedoms that will undermine the nation and lead to the destruction of liberty.