Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Cognitive Dissonance (Some *food* for thought)

Quote Originally Posted by lilymc View Post
    Yes it is, because movie or no movie, pigs actually are intelligent, feeling animals, and MOST people (especially people who love animals) would not have the instinct to harm and torture an innocent pig if, for example, there was one that was brought into a room of people. They would probably want to pet him, and be kind to the pig. That is what is cognitive dissonance, to have that instinct yet to turn around and eat ham or bacon the next day.
    Nobody here is pro-animal torture.. Everybody here would prefer if the animals they ate were treated humanely and not have to experience unnecessary suffering.

But you still won't address the fact that those animals wouldn't be alive without people purchasing meat to buy them animal food and keep them protected.
    "He's talkin' to his gut like it's a person!!" -me
    "dumpster diving isn't professional." - angelatc
    "You don't need a medical degree to spot obvious bullshit, that's actually a separate skill." -Scott Adams
    "When you are divided, and angry, and controlled, you target those 'different' from you, not those responsible [controllers]" -Q

"Each of us must choose which course of action we should take: education, conventional political action, or even peaceful civil disobedience to bring about necessary changes. But let it not be said that we did nothing." - Ron Paul

"Paul said "the wave of the future" is a coalition of anti-authoritarian progressive Democrats and libertarian Republicans in Congress opposed to domestic surveillance, opposed to starting new wars and in favor of ending the so-called War on Drugs."

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by VIDEODROME View Post
    What if you have a Pet Dog? What are you supposed to feed it if you want to be consistent liking animals, but dogs eat meat even if ground up by petfood companies?
    It's possible to feed a dog a vegan diet, some people even feed their cats a vegan diet but I think they have to supplement taurine and l-carnitine.

https://www.peta.org/living/animal-c...ian-cats-dogs/

Not the best diet for your pets, imo.

I feed my dog grain free dog food.
    "You don't need a medical degree to spot obvious bullshit, that's actually a separate skill." -Scott Adams
    "When you are divided, and angry, and controlled, you target those 'different' from you, not those responsible [controllers]" -Q

"Each of us must choose which course of action we should take: education, conventional political action, or even peaceful civil disobedience to bring about necessary changes. But let it not be said that we did nothing." - Ron Paul

"Paul said "the wave of the future" is a coalition of anti-authoritarian progressive Democrats and libertarian Republicans in Congress opposed to domestic surveillance, opposed to starting new wars and in favor of ending the so-called War on Drugs."

4. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by Brian4Liberty View Post
    I see what you did there. A couple of minutes on the "cognitive dissonance" part, the rest is a standard horrors of a slaughterhouse piece. "Watch it to the end", eh?
    Ha. Actually, no, there is that clip in the middle, but then she goes back to talking. My main reason for posting it was not a “scheme” to get people to see that footage (although I do think that it’s a good thing when people see the reality), it was because she brings up a very good point, that is pretty much undeniable in regard to most people. And I just think it’s a really good video.
    “I have no doubt that it is a part of the destiny of the human race, in its gradual improvement, to leave off eating animals, as surely as the savage tribes have left off eating each other.”

― Henry David Thoreau

Quote Originally Posted by dannno View Post
    So they replace the animals with an empty field of chopped up rodents and plants.. That doesn't make any sense.
    Chopped rodent salad with blue cheese dressing. Don't knock it till you try it.
    1. Don't lie.
    2. Don't cheat.
    3. Don't steal.
    4. Don't kill.
    5. Don't commit adultery.
    6. Don't covet what your neighbor has, especially his wife.
    7. Honor your father and mother.
    8. Remember the Sabbath and keep it Holy.
    9. Don’t use your Higher Power's name in vain, or anyone else's.
    10. Do unto others as you would have them do to you.

"For the love of money is the root of all evil..." -- I Timothy 6:10, KJV

Quote Originally Posted by Jamesiv1 View Post
    Chopped rodent salad with blue cheese dressing. Don't knock it till you try it.
    I think I'll stick with the Cobb..

Actually that's what I just ate a few minutes ago, Cobb Salad.

Lettuce, tomato, red onion, avocado, chicken, bacon, hard boiled egg and blue cheese. Yum.

Even better is people who treat their pet animals better than their human employees.

Yes it is, because movie or no movie, pigs actually are intelligent, feeling animals, and MOST people (especially people who love animals) would not have the instinct to harm and torture an innocent pig if, for example, there was one that was brought into a room of people. They would probably want to pet him, and be kind to the pig. That is what is cognitive dissonance, to have that instinct yet to turn around and eat ham or bacon the next day.
    The movies always exaggerate the anthropomorphism for entertainment value and I and many others do have the instinct to kill the pig to provide food for ourselves and our families.
    Dogs are lucky that canines don't taste very good so it takes real desperation before most cultures will get around to eating them.
    Last edited by Swordsmyth; 06-26-2018 at 01:56 PM.
    Never attempt to teach a pig to sing; it wastes your time and annoys the pig.

Robert Heinlein

Give a man an inch and right away he thinks he's a ruler

Groucho Marx

I love mankind…it’s people I can’t stand.

Linus, from the Peanuts comic

You cannot have liberty without morality and morality without faith

Alexis de Torqueville

Those who fail to learn from the past are condemned to repeat it.
    Those who learn from the past are condemned to watch everybody else repeat it

A Zero Hedge comment

But you still won't address the fact that those animals wouldn't be alive without people purchasing meat to buy them animal food and keep them protected.
    That is not only false, but so convoluted and twisted, that I don’t even know where to begin in my response to that.

First of all, we’re not saying that all those animals currently trapped in the animal industries should be set free into the wild to fend for themselves. That is a total misunderstanding. Secondly, I have never heard any vegan say that none of those animals should exist at all.

There are more and more animal sanctuaries every year, and in fact many farms have been converting to animal sanctuaries which I think is an amazing, beautiful thing.

Also, pigs and other farm animals can be companion animals, like dogs and cats, horses, etc. Of course not everyone has the ability to care for certain farm animals, especially the big ones, but it is happening, and from what I’ve seen it’s happening more and more.

But in regard to what you said, it is troubling to me that (correct me if I’m wrong) you seem to think that a short life of extreme confinement, misery, in many cases torture, and killing against the animal's will… is better than no life at all? I hope you’re not saying that, but that’s a moot point anyway, because it’s not an either / or. In other words, it doesn’t have to be what is currently going on, or no existence at all.
    “I have no doubt that it is a part of the destiny of the human race, in its gradual improvement, to leave off eating animals, as surely as the savage tribes have left off eating each other.”

― Henry David Thoreau

That is not only false, but so convoluted and twisted, that I don’t even know where to begin in my response to that.

First of all, we’re not saying that all those animals currently trapped in the animal industries should be set free into the wild to fend for themselves. That is a total misunderstanding. Secondly, I have never heard any vegan say that none of those animals should exist at all.

There are more and more animal sanctuaries every year, and in fact many farms have been converting to animal sanctuaries which I think is an amazing, beautiful thing.

Also, pigs and other farm animals can be companion animals, like dogs and cats, horses, etc. Of course not everyone has the ability to care for certain farm animals, especially the big ones, but it is happening, and from what I’ve seen it’s happening more and more.

But in regard to what you said, it is troubling to me that (correct me if I’m wrong) you seem to think that a short life of extreme confinement, misery, in many cases torture, and killing against the animal's will… is better than no life at all? I hope you’re not saying that, but that’s a moot point anyway, because it’s not an either / or. In other words, it doesn’t have to be what is currently going on, or no existence at all.
    Who is going to feed the animals in the sanctuaries?

I don't think everyone feels that way, but some here do kind of come off that way with just the simple gruff response that animals are just resources to be hacked up into meat.

13. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    I think I'll stick with the Cobb..

Actually that's what I just ate a few minutes ago, Cobb Salad.

Lettuce, tomato, red onion, avocado, chicken, bacon, hard boiled egg and blue cheese. Yum.
    I will say I love Bleu Cheese with some Hot Wings, but also excellent on salad.

Understanding that Dairy Cows are treated okay and I think most are, while it seems to me even the chickens could get a quick electric shock to the head.

Besides that, why the hell would people want to wrestle and beat up poultry birds on the floor trying to get them processed instead of just shocking them? Unless the factory farms are such a brutal place it affects people mentally after a while making behave in a savage manner? Could be said that the factory slaughterhouses are even cruel workplaces to the human employees there?

I don't think everyone feels that way, but some here do kind of come off that way with just the simple gruff response that animals are just resources to be hacked up into meat.
    Yep, I agree. Maybe part of it is the desire to appear “manly”... which TBH is so misguided and wrong. I believe that real men are protectors of the innocent, vulnerable, and weaker among us. There’s nothing manly at all about exploiting and picking on an innocent, defenseless being (most of them are babies, actually) and in my opinion there’s nothing admirable about that at all.

― Henry David Thoreau

Cows would have gone extinct long long ago, if they just weren't so damned tasty

They should thank us, for the privilege of being eaten
    Last edited by TheTexan; 06-26-2018 at 02:08 PM.
    It's all about taking action and not being lazy. So you do the work, whether it's fitness or whatever. It's about getting up, motivating yourself and just doing it.
    - Kim Kardashian

Donald Trump / Crenshaw 2024!!!!

My pronouns are he/him/his

I agree, it doesn't have to be an either/or. Plenty of ranchers give their animals a great life and a painless death. I agree that should be a higher priority for meat eaters as a whole to choose meat that has been treated well. That was half of what my long post was that you never responded to, about how meat eaters can make the lives of the animals that they help support and raise to eat better.

meat that has been treated well.
    The trick is to find the right balance of salt & seasoning
    It's all about taking action and not being lazy. So you do the work, whether it's fitness or whatever. It's about getting up, motivating yourself and just doing it.
    - Kim Kardashian

Understanding that Dairy Cows are treated okay and I think most are, while it seems to me even the chickens could get a quick electric shock to the head.
    Actually, dairy is said to be even worse than the meat industry, because of what goes for years before the cow is finally of no more use to the industry, then killed for hamburger meat.

This video has turned tons of people vegan, and while she is focusing on factory farms, some of those same practices take place on the smaller, so-called 'humane' farms too.

― Henry David Thoreau

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

I highly doubt you would torture your dog, then kill and eat him… But you see nothing wrong with doing that to an animal that is even more intelligent than your dog.
    @Swordsmyth I'm disappointed to learn you support torture.
    It's a balance between appeasing his supporters, appeasing the deep state and reaching his own goals.
    ~Resident Badgiraffe

22. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    they go to the grocery store to buy and eat the dismembered corpses of innocent animals, that in other settings they would probably want to pet and admire.
    On the flip side of that same coin, if animals didn't need to be butchered and cooked in order to be tasty, we'd probably have no problem at all with just biting right into a cute fluffy bunny while it was still alive.
    - Kim Kardashian

Who is going to feed the animals in the sanctuaries?
    The people who run the sanctuaries. Are you asking how they fund it? Many of them are funded by like-minded people who want to see the animals live in a safe, clean, loving and peaceful environment.

This guy is awesome. He does an amazing job with the sanctuary, and I love following his page on Instagram or Facebook, because it feels like you’re right there with him in giving those animals a good life, who otherwise would be trapped in the horrors of the animal industries.

I could post tons of examples of people who rescue animals, and prove that farm animals are really not much different than dogs, they all have unique personalities, they all have the same desire to live, be happy, and enjoy life, just like you and me.

Last edited by lilymc; 06-26-2018 at 02:59 PM.

― Henry David Thoreau

What if you have a Pet Dog? What are you supposed to feed it if you want to be consistent liking animals, but dogs eat meat even if ground up by petfood companies?
    Dogs should be vegan too. Try feeding your husky nothing but celery and you too will be shocked to see it's health improved.
    It's a balance between appeasing his supporters, appeasing the deep state and reaching his own goals.
    ~Resident Badgiraffe

I hope you do come back later, read it again and consider it because there are actually zero false statements in there. Ranchers create life, all those pigs you are fond of would not exist without people who eat meat. Millions of pigs are alive because of people who eat meat. Only wild boars would exist, they are not cute.

Yes, of course, because 9 times out of 10 it will be less painful that way and they will not die in vein.

I explained that in my post that you need to review and respond to - Babe is ONLY alive because there is a farm and a ranch which only exists because people eat meat.

It's not cognitive dissonance to want to give farm animals a good life and then eat them - especially when the alternative is an empty field with a few rodents that get chopped up each year. That is what veganism is. There would be no farm animals. It's you that has cognitive dissonance. Explain how there would be farm animals if people didn't eat meat. A few people might have them as pets, but 99.999% of them would die out. Because vegans claim they like life? So they replace the animals with an empty field of chopped up rodents and plants.. That doesn't make any sense.
    You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to dannno again.
    Dang, I actually agree with you on this.
    Quote Originally Posted by Torchbearer
    what works can never be discussed online. there is only one language the government understands, and until the people start speaking it by the magazine full... things will remain the same.
    Hear/buy my music here "government is the enemy of liberty"-RP Support me on Patreon here Ephesians 6:12

Nope, not even close. The dictionary definition is: the state of having inconsistent thoughts, beliefs, or attitudes
    Aha, but inconsistent with what? (More precisely with whom.) Answer: with the thoughts, beliefs, or attitudes of the person accusing you of cognitive dissonance. More often than not.

I'm not saying it couldn't be a real thing with a coherent meaning and which had value to bring to a discussion. Just that it usually doesn't.

For example, someone saying they love animals, yet purchasing products that are the result of exploitation, misery cruelty and unnecessary killing.
    For example, someone saying they love their children, yet they spank them?

Actually scratch that, you'll agree with that as a valid example.

For example, someone saying they love their country, yet hate paying taxes?

For example, someone saying they love their child, yet they refuse (probably for crazed ideological reasons) to use force to discipline him, even when it would clearly be to his betterment?

Are we liking those examples?

Quote Originally Posted by TheTexan View Post
    On the flip side of that same coin, if animals didn't need to be butchered and cooked in order to be tasty, we'd probably have no problem at all with just biting right into a cute fluffy bunny while it was still alive.
    That is a really good point. Actually.

Absurdism and logic. Two coins on the same flip.

Quote Originally Posted by heavenlyboy34 View Post
    Dang, I actually agree with you on this.
    Almost everything he said was either demonstrably false or a misunderstanding. It is asinine to think that the only reason they exist is because people eat them...which not only implies that we have to eat them in order to keep them existing, but that their short miserable life is worth it for them? As I said to him, we can raise animals in a safe loving environment, not for the purpose of exploiting and eating them, but simply to let them live a good life. And that is what is happening more and more.

Of course the numbers will go down, because we are currently bringing into existence billions of animals for the sole purpose of exploiting and killing them. But they will still exist, and to claim otherwise is foolish.

― Henry David Thoreau

Quote Originally Posted by oyarde View Post
    I had the bunnies in the daily .
    Yeah, what's up with rabbit being less foody than horse? Rabbit is great. And they are none too hot as pets, IMO.

31. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Almost everything he said was either demonstrably false or a misunderstanding. It is asinine to think that the only reason they exist is because people eat them...which not only implies that we have to eat them in order to keep them existing, but that their short miserable life is worth it for them? As I said to him, we can raise animals in a safe loving environment, not for the purpose of exploiting and eating them, but simply to let them live a good life. And that is what is happening more and more.

Of course the numbers will go down, because we are currently bringing into existence billions of animals for the sole purpose of exploiting and killing them. But they will still exist, and to claim otherwise is foolish.
    I never said they would definitely all disappear completely, I said 99.99% will disappear.. and that is true.. There are a lot more animals out there living because people eat meat and so they pay to give them land and have them fed, sorry, that is a factual statement I made that you can't disprove, you even agreed with me that there would be less. It's just that there would be significantly less, and you won't admit that.

You posted a picture of a guy who has an "animal sanctuary" that used to be a farm. That didn't answer my question at all. Who is paying for it? Where does the money come from? Sometimes people win the lottery or have extra money and they can do nice things like that, but it's not sustainable, not practical to have a bunch of farm animal sanctuaries all over the place.

I never said they would definitely all disappear completely, I said 99.99% will disappear.. and that is true.. There are a lot more animals out there living because people eat meat and so they pay to give them land and have them fed, sorry, that is a factual statement I made that you can't disprove, you even agreed with me that there would be less. It's just that there would be significantly less, and you won't admit that.

You posted a picture of a guy who has an "animal sanctuary" that used to be a farm. That didn't answer my question at all. Who is paying for it? Where does the money come from? Sometimes people win the lottery or have extra money and they can do nice things like that, but it's not sustainable, not practical to have a bunch of farm animal sanctuaries all over the place.
    I did answer that, go back and look at post #50.

As for your claim that 99.99% will not exist, that is your opinion, not a factual statement. It really comes down to us. If people begin to see farm animals in a different way, not as objects to be exploited and eaten, but as the sentient beings that they are, the same way we see dogs and cats… then there will be more sanctuaries, more companion animals, more people who want to see them living in safe, loving environments.

Your statement implied that we have to keep on eating them in order for them to exist, which is silly iyam.

― Henry David Thoreau

Quote Originally Posted by William Tell View Post
    @Swordsmyth I'm disappointed to learn you support torture.
    I don't but lily throws that at everybody who eats meat so it isn't worth responding to
    Last edited by Swordsmyth; 06-27-2018 at 12:27 PM.

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

I did answer that, go back and look at post #50.

As for your claim that 99.99% will not exist, that is your opinion, not a factual statement. It really comes down to us. If people begin to see farm animals in a different way, not as objects to be exploited and eaten, but as the sentient beings that they are, the same way we see dogs and cats… then there will be more sanctuaries, more companion animals, more people who want to see them living in safe, loving environments.

Your statement implied that we have to keep on eating them in order for them to exist, which is silly iyam.
    No, you didn't answer the question.. Where is the money coming from? Did he win the lottery? In other words, where did the guy get enough money that he could buy a farm, raise animals and not sell them for meat? A lot of people buy farms, raise animals, sell the meat and still go out of business. So you have yet to explain how this is a sustainable business model..

And for the fifth time, I NEVER said the animals would go out of existence completely, I said they 99.99% of them would go out of existence. Count the number of animal sanctuaries and pet goats that exist now, then count the number of animals being raised for slaughter and you will find 99.999% exist on a for-profit basis.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast