Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: Julian Assange indicted on 17 new charges under Espionage Act

Quote Originally Posted by kcchiefs6465 View Post
    It was done to put him in a cage for the remainder of his life.

The UK would cage him forever themselves if able to.

Also, it is not like he is walking free fighting this extradition attempt.
    The dude allegedly got over 4 years in jail for skipping bail. Who knows what happens to him. Rot in some secret prison? Some think he/Wikileaks is a limited hangout honeypot to snag leakers. Or live out his days on a tropical island? Maybe he's the real deal. Who knows? But the notion of imprisoning journalists has a chilling effect regardless.
    "Let it not be said that we did nothing."-Ron Paul

"We have set them on the hobby-horse of an idea about the absorption of individuality by the symbolic unit of COLLECTIVISM. They have never yet and they never will have the sense to reflect that this hobby-horse is a manifest violation of the most important law of nature, which has established from the very creation of the world one unit unlike another and precisely for the purpose of instituting individuality."- A Quote From Some Old Book

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by Swordsmyth View Post
    It was speculated when the first charges were brought that more would be added after the US had him here but not before in order to avoid difficulty in extraditing him.
    That isn't what happened.

I'm all ears if anyone has another explanation why it didn't happen that way.
    Five Eyes. At this point what difference does it make?

It is an interesting question. By my estimation they’re (a.) a bunch of $#@!ing morons and (b.) they don’t care about what you think. They write off Khashoggi with little more than a statement. I’ll be surprised if Assange* ever gets a day in court.

Though still, charging him before he gets here is not the stupidest thing they’ve ever done. I’ll take, “Incompetent tapeworms for $500.”

ETA: So many political prisoners names all sound the same.
    Last edited by kcchiefs6465; 08-07-2019 at 02:03 AM.
    “The nationalist not only does not disapprove of atrocities committed by his own side, but he has a remarkable capacity for not even hearing about them.” --George Orwell

Quote Originally Posted by AuH20 View Post
    In terms of a full spectrum candidate, Rand is leaps and bounds above Trump. I'm not disputing that.
    Who else in public life has called for a pre-emptive strike on North Korea?--Donald Trump

They discussed Assange today on Fox News Sunday. They pretty much agreed that Assange deserves everything he gets, and that he is truly evil. That he is not a journalist and this is no danger to freedom of the press. They basically paint him as an agent of Russian intelligence.
    "Foreign aid is taking money from the poor people of a rich country, and giving it to the rich people of a poor country." - Ron Paul
    "Beware the Military-Industrial-Financial-Pharma-Corporate-Internet-Media-Government Complex." - B4L update of General Dwight D. Eisenhower
    "Debt is the drug, Wall St. Banksters are the dealers, and politicians are the addicts." - B4L
    "Totally free immigration? I've never taken that position. I believe in national sovereignty." - Ron Paul

Proponent of real science.
    The views and opinions expressed here are solely my own, and do not represent this forum or any other entities or persons.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian4Liberty View Post
    They discussed Assange today on Fox News Sunday. They pretty much agreed that Assange deserves everything he gets, and that he is truly evil. That he is not a journalist and this is no danger to freedom of the press. They basically paint him as an agent of Russian intelligence.
    The errosion of the first ammendment and the fake news industrial complex is going to destroy our society. They want blood so badly because they were embarassed but it will destroy our country. I sure hope they aren't satisfied with the result because these people deserve a special spot in hell.

I think Assange chose a path and knew all along that he was playing with fire. I wish him the best. I do not think he belongs in jail or even indicted. I don't care what you do, but, if you chose to expose others you will make powerful enemies. If you are a nurse or doctor and chose to expose the filth or poor care at the facility you work, chances are you will not be admired, advanced, or even employable by other facilities. Doesn't matter cop, doctor, lawyer, accountant, laborer...... Don't rat out others or else.

And the panel member who was leading the charge to smear Assange was Jonah Goldberg, who infamously called for Assange to be assassinated many years ago.
    "Foreign aid is taking money from the poor people of a rich country, and giving it to the rich people of a poor country." - Ron Paul
    "Beware the Military-Industrial-Financial-Pharma-Corporate-Internet-Media-Government Complex." - B4L update of General Dwight D. Eisenhower
    "Debt is the drug, Wall St. Banksters are the dealers, and politicians are the addicts." - B4L
    "Totally free immigration? I've never taken that position. I believe in national sovereignty." - Ron Paul

The views and opinions expressed here are solely my own, and do not represent this forum or any other entities or persons.

8. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Banned

Blog Entries
    Of course they do, it's FOX News. Many if not most of them believed Trump had been colluding with Putin, and were scared $#@!less because of it, many thought they were helping Trump cover up, and then many more believed he was straight up an agent of Putin. Retards on the right like Glenn Beck and Shepard Smith and... ...he who shall no longer be named.

Banned

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by nikcers View Post
    The errosion of the first ammendment and the fake news industrial complex is going to destroy our society. They want blood so badly because they were embarassed but it will destroy our country. I sure hope they aren't satisfied with the result because these people deserve a special spot in hell.
    They will be drinking their own.

Banned

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Schifference View Post
    I think Assange chose a path and knew all along that he was playing with fire. I wish him the best. I do not think he belongs in jail or even indicted. I don't care what you do, but, if you chose to expose others you will make powerful enemies. If you are a nurse or doctor and chose to expose the filth or poor care at the facility you work, chances are you will not be admired, advanced, or even employable by other facilities. Doesn't matter cop, doctor, lawyer, accountant, laborer...... Don't rat out others or else.
    Julian Assange already won. He knows it. I know even if he dies in prison, he can already rest assured his existence did not go in vain. He changed the world. Very few men can say that as they draw their last breath.

Quote Originally Posted by UWDude View Post
    Julian Assange already won. He knows it. I know even if he dies in prison, he can already rest assured his existence did not go in vain. He changed the world. Very few men can say that as they draw their last breath.
    That doesn't mean that he deserves it. He has already been in prison all of this time. If we let him die in prison then we deserve the government we get.

Quote Originally Posted by Schifference View Post
    What ever happened to don't commit treason or else..

Banned

Blog Entries
    That doesn't mean that he deserves it. He has already been in prison all of this time. If we let him die in prison then we deserve the government we get.
    Nobody said he deserves it. He is one of the greatest heros of truth in history.
    The real danger is him being wiped from history, as well as reality.

Alliances are shifting.

Nobody said he deserves it. He is one of the greatest heros of truth in history.
    The real danger is him being wiped from history, as well as reality.

Alliances are shifting.
    That big ass smile of his and the thumbs up after he got arrested was probably just to rob them of their satisfaction of seeing him in misery. They can't bleachbit all of our brains can they?

Banned

Blog Entries
    ???
    Last edited by UWDude; 05-26-2019 at 04:10 PM. Reason: ???

17. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Banned

Blog Entries
    That big ass smile of his and the thumbs up after he got arrested was probably just to rob them of their satisfaction of seeing him in misery. They can't bleachbit all of our brains can they?
    Book in hand as well.
    Very strange.

Book in hand as well.
    Very strange.
    “History of the National Security State” Gore Vidal - In 2000 Vidal published the collection of essays, The Last Empire, then such self-described "pamphlets" as Perpetual War for Perpetual Peace, Dreaming War: Blood for Oil and the Cheney-Bush Junta and Imperial America, critiques of American expansionism, the military-industrial complex, the national security state and the George W. Bush administration.
    I just thought he was telling us why they were targeting him and others like him- because he exposed the secrets of the military industrial complex.

Hillary could walk up to Bernie Sanders 'CNN LIVE' , shoot him dead, and not get indicted.

Those at the top are untouchable, there is no system of Equal Justice in America.

Godspeed Julian Assange.
    "Perhaps one of the most important accomplishments of my administration is minding my own business."

Calvin Coolidge

Bill Barr Is Wrong On Assange

Bill Barr has been (in my opinion) wrongly attacked for many of his actions with regard to the Special Counsel Report. Indeed, I defended his decisions in print and I testified in favor of his confirmation. I still believe that he is an excellent choice for Attorney General. However, on the charges against Julian Assange, he is wrong. Dead wrong. As I stated in a recent column, the use of the Espionage Act strikes at the heart of the First Amendment. Now, the Washington Post is reporting that two prosecutors involved in the Wikileaks case argued against the new charges.

The Washington Post reported Friday, prosecutors objected that the charges “posed serious risks for First Amendment protections.” They were of course correct. It is reassuring that some of the prosecutors saw the dangers and raised their voices in opposition. However, the decision (presumably by Barr) to move forward has created a genuine legal crisis for the press freedom in the United States.
    I am assuming that Barr had to approve the final charges but there is no confirmation of his role.
    More: http://www.ronpaulinstitute.org/arch...ng-on-assange/

If Trump is playing chess and the plan is for Assange to come out alright then the strategy must be to get the left to like Assange again and defend him so that when he pulls the rug out from under Russiagate they can't just dismiss it because "he is in league with Trump and Putin"

If that is the plan then it seems to be working already:

The indictment of Julian Assange under the Espionage Act has profoundly affected press coverage of the WikiLeaks founder, with much of the media turning suddenly and decisively in his favor after years of vilifying him.
    The sharp change has also come from some politicians, and significantly, from two Justice Department prosecutors who went public to express their dissent about using the Espionage Act to indict Assange.
    To the extent that public opinion matters, the sea-change in coverage could have an effect on the British or Swedish governments’ decision to extradite Assange to the United States to face the charges.
    Used to Be a Russian Agent

Since the 2016 U.S. presidential election establishment media, fueled by the Mueller probe, has essentially branded Assange a Russian agent who worked to undermine American democracy.
    Focusing on his personality rather than his work, the media mostly cheered his arrest by British police on April 11 after his political asylum was illegally revoked by Ecuador in its London embassy.
    Assange’s initial indictment for conspiracy to intrude into a government computer was portrayed by corporate media as the work of a “hacker” and not a journalist who didn’t merit First Amendment protection.
    But the superseding indictment under the Espionage Act last Thursday has changed all that.
    Rather than criminal activity, the indictment actually describes routine journalistic work, such as encouraging sources to turn over sensitive information and hiding a source’s identity.
    Since the Trump administration has crossed the red line criminalizing what establishment journalists do all the time, establishment journalists have come full-square against the indictment and behind Assange.
    Leading liberal outlets, who until Wednesday openly despised Assange, began on Thursday to make 180 degree turns in their editorials, commentaries and news reports.

An editorial in The New York Timescalled the indictment “a marked escalation in the effort to prosecute Mr. Assange, one that could have a chilling effect on American journalism as it has been practiced for generations. It is aimed straight at the heart of the First Amendment.”
    “The new charges focus on receiving and publishing classified material from a government source. That is something journalists do all the time. … This is what the First Amendment is designed to protect: the ability of publishers to provide the public with the truth.”
    The Times praised Assange’s work:
    “Mr. Assange shared much of the material at issue with The New York Times and other news organizations. The resulting stories demonstrated why the protections afforded the press have served the American public so well; they shed important light on the American war effort in Iraq, revealing how the United States turned a blind eye to the torture of prisoners by Iraqi forces and how extensively Iran had meddled in the conflict.”
    ‘Profoundly Disturbing’

Former Guardian editor Alan Rusbridger wrote:
    ” I find the Trump administration’s use of the Espionage Act against him profoundly disturbing. … Whatever Assange got up to in 2010-11, it was not espionage. … Imagine the precedent if the Trump administration gets away with this. Israel and India have extensive nuclear weapons programmes – each protected by ferocious domestic official secrets acts. Think of the outcry if the Netanyahu or Modi governments attempted to extradite a British or US journalist to face life in jail for writing true things about their nuclear arsenals. …
    Assange is accused of trying to persuade a source to disclose yet more secret information. Most reporters would do the same. Then he is charged with behaviour that, on the face of it, looks like a reporter seeking to help a source protect her identity. If that’s indeed what Assange was doing, good for him.”
    The New Yorker‘s Masha Gessen, wrote: “The use of the Espionage Act to prosecute Assange is an attack on the First Amendment. … It stands to reason that an Administration that considers the press an ‘enemy of the people’ would launch this attack. In attacking the media, it is attacking the public.’

MSNBC’s Rachel Maddow, the Democratic Party booster, who probably had more influence than any commentator in drumming up the Russiagate conspiracy and Assange’s alleged role in it, on Friday launched into an astounding defense of the imprisoned publisher. On her program she said:
    “The Justice Department today, the Trump administration today, just put every journalistic institution in this country on Julian Assange’s side of the ledger. On his side of the fight. Which, I know, is unimaginable. But that is because the government is now trying to assert this brand new right to criminally prosecute people for publishing secret stuff, and newspapers and magazines and investigative journalists and all sorts of different entities publish secret stuff all the time. That is the bread and butter of what we do.”
    Nick Miller, writing in The Sydney Morning Herald, said:
    “On the face of it this indictment covers a lot of practices that are standard to investigative journalism: appealing for information, encouraging a source to provide documents that are not publicly available, reporting classified information you believe is in the public interest and the public has a right to know. …It may be that prosecutors can argue Assange was not acting as a journalist. But they would, by doing so, make the line separating journalism from espionage wafer-thin, and much more dangerous to approach, even in the public interest.”
    Politicians Too

The indictment for espionage also caused a number of politicians to back Assange. Three U.S. candidates for president and another senator spoke out in his favor. Sen. Bernie Sanders (I-VT) tweeted:
    Let me be clear: it is a disturbing attack on the First Amendment for the Trump administration to decide who is or is not a reporter for the purposes of a criminal prosecution. Donald Trump must obey the Constitution, which protects the publication of news about our government. https://t.co/5JtHNHH2BE
    — Bernie Sanders (@SenSanders) May 24, 2019
    Sen. Elizabeth Warren (D-MA) said in a statement: “Trump should not be using this case as a pretext to wage war on the First Amendment and go after the free press who hold the powerful accountable everyday.”
    “This is not about Julian Assange,” Sen. Ron Wyden (D-OR) said in a statement. “This is about the use of the Espionage Act to charge a recipient and publisher of classified information. I am extremely concerned about the precedent this may set and potential dangers to the work of journalists and the First Amendment.”
    In Assange’s native Australia, Sen. Rex Patrick said:
    “The United States government’s decision to charge Australian citizen and publisher Julian Assange with new espionage offences relating to receiving and publishing classified US government information raises a grave threat to freedom of the press worldwide, and must be viewed so by the Australian government,” he said.
    “The Australian government should be active not only in providing consular support to Mr Assange, who is an Australian citizen, but also outspoken in making representations to the British government against allowing Mr Assange to be extradited to the United States on charges that so obviously constitute a grave threat to press freedom.”
    Bob Carr, a former Australian foreign minister, said: “While it appears capital punishment does not apply in this case, the US, by seeking extradition for offences that might attract a 175 years imprisonment, could be testing the tolerance of its allies and partners. I think this changes the game almost as much as if capital punishment were the penalty.”

Carr said Australian Foreign Minister Marise Payne, “needs to protect herself from the charge that she’s failed in her duty to protect the life of an Australian citizen.
    “Therefore I would imagine that Dfat (the Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade) will provide her with talking points to conversations with her British, Swedish and indeed American counterparts.
    “Not to do so would leave the minister exposed to withering criticism that they did not take all appropriate action that might have mad a difference, mainly before the British court makes a decision.”
    Extradition Made Harder

The Trump administration appears to have gone too far in its Espionage Act indictment, eliciting not only media pushback, but perhaps complicating its extradition case. The British home secretary may now not want to been seen sending a suspect to a country that has clearly criminalized journalism.
    Miller, in the Morning Herald, wrote:
    “By bringing espionage into the picture the US have also made their extradition work much, much harder. Assange’s lawyers may try to argue that he is being extradited for his political opinions (which is not allowed), or for conduct that would not be a crime in the UK (ditto). This last is a very interesting question. The UK’s Official Secrets Act may be even harder to stretch to cover Assange’s actions then the US Espionage Act.”
    The Intercept reported:
    “The uproar could make it easier for Assange’s lawyers in the U.K. — where he is currently serving a 50-week jail term for violating bail — to argue that he is wanted in the United States primarily for embarrassing the Pentagon and State Department, by publishing true information obtained from a whistleblower, making the charges against him political in nature, rather than criminal.”
    It is not clear why the U.S. released its superseding indictment when it did. It had until a June 12deadline to do so. The U.S. government also had the option of a loophole in its extradition treaty with Britain, providing for a waiver to the “doctrine of speciality.”
    That would have allowed the U.S. to ask Britain to waive the provision that the UK would have to know all the charges against a suspect before an extradition decision would be made, thereby not permitting the U.S. to add more charges once Assange was on U.S. soil. One possibility is that the U.S. asked Britain for the waiver and it was refused.

More at: https://www.zerohedge.com/news/2019-...assanges-favor
    Never attempt to teach a pig to sing; it wastes your time and annoys the pig.

Robert Heinlein

Give a man an inch and right away he thinks he's a ruler

Groucho Marx

I love mankind…it’s people I can’t stand.

Linus, from the Peanuts comic

You cannot have liberty without morality and morality without faith

Alexis de Torqueville

Those who fail to learn from the past are condemned to repeat it.
    Those who learn from the past are condemned to watch everybody else repeat it

A Zero Hedge comment

I find it fascinating how the government finds ways to charge someone with 500 crimes for the same crime
    A savage barbaric tribal society where thugs parade the streets and illegally assault and murder innocent civilians, yeah that is the alternative to having police. Oh wait, that is the police

We cannot defend freedom abroad by deserting it at home.
    - Edward R. Murrow

...I think we have moral obligations to disobey unjust laws, because non-cooperation with evil is as much as a moral obligation as cooperation with good. - MLK Jr.

How to trigger a liberal: "I didn't get vaccinated."

Quote Originally Posted by Warrior_of_Freedom View Post
    I find it fascinating how the government finds ways to charge someone with 500 crimes for the same crime
    They can make up whatever they want, the only reason why they are not saying something stupid like rape is they know it wouldn't pass the smell test.

26. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    They can make up whatever they want, the only reason why they are not saying something stupid like rape is they know it wouldn't pass the smell test.
    He raped me with his eyes
    A savage barbaric tribal society where thugs parade the streets and illegally assault and murder innocent civilians, yeah that is the alternative to having police. Oh wait, that is the police

We cannot defend freedom abroad by deserting it at home.
    - Edward R. Murrow

...I think we have moral obligations to disobey unjust laws, because non-cooperation with evil is as much as a moral obligation as cooperation with good. - MLK Jr.

How to trigger a liberal: "I didn't get vaccinated."

Quote Originally Posted by Warrior_of_Freedom View Post
    He raped me with his eyes
    Thats why they throw up a bunch of BS out to muddy the waters. OH he can't be not guilty they wouldn't have that many charges if it was fake.

Deep State Mueller used his statement today to throw accusations at Assange (Wikileaks). He is saying that the Russians provided hacked Democrat information to Wikileaks.

http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthr...ller-Statement

Deep State Mueller used his statement today to throw accusations at Assange (Wikileaks). He is saying that the Russians provided hacked Democrat information to Wikileaks.

Yeah this is like leaving your car running unlocked in a bad sort of town and then saying your car is stolen. The problem I have with the whole email thing is Clinton knows cyber security, there was a recording from like 2010 of her saying that they have to shut off all their electronics when going to another country because they can access anything that is turned on.

Since the 2016 U.S. presidential election establishment media, fueled by the Mueller probe, has essentially branded Assange a Russian agent who worked to undermine American democracy
    Mueller doubled down on this accusation today.

Yeah this is like leaving your car running unlocked in a bad sort of town and then saying your car is stolen. The problem I have with the whole email thing is Clinton knows cyber security, there was a recording from like 2010 of her saying that they have to shut off all their electronics when going to another country because they can access anything that is turned on.
    Clinton was careless, no doubt about.

But whether it was Russians providing information to Wikileaks is by no means settled. It could have been a DNC leaker, or someone who got the information from the Awan brothers.

Clinton was careless, no doubt about.

But whether it was Russians providing information to Wikileaks is by no means settled. It could have been a DNC leaker, or someone who got the information from the Awan brothers.
    It doesn't matter who provided the information, she left it out there for anyone to take. I don't discount that it was or wasn't the Russians, its actually even more plausible to be any number of actors who would love for America and Russia to have bad relations.

How would he know?
    He never looked at the servers and neither did the FBI.
    Never attempt to teach a pig to sing; it wastes your time and annoys the pig.

Robert Heinlein

Give a man an inch and right away he thinks he's a ruler

Groucho Marx

I love mankind…it’s people I can’t stand.

Linus, from the Peanuts comic

You cannot have liberty without morality and morality without faith

Alexis de Torqueville

Those who fail to learn from the past are condemned to repeat it.
    Those who learn from the past are condemned to watch everybody else repeat it

A Zero Hedge comment

35. Remove this section of ads by registering.
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast