Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 11 Best Benefits Of Peanut Butter

11 Best Benefits Of Peanut Butter

11 Best Benefits Of Peanut Butter

The health benefits of peanut butter include a reduced risk of diabetes, heart diseases, cancer, degenerative nerve diseases, and control of Alzheimer’s disease. It also helps in decreasing hypertension and the risk of contracting viral and fungal infections.

What Is Peanut Butter?
    Peanut butter is a paste made from dry, roasted peanuts. This paste is generally used as a spread on toast or sandwiches. It is a healthy food that is full of nutrients such as proteins, carbohydrates, monounsaturated fatty acids, folate, niacin, pantothenic acid, pyridoxine, riboflavin, thiamin, vitamin E, vitamin C, vitamin A, sodium, magnesium, calcium, manganese, phosphorous, selenium, copper, iron, and zinc.

Peanuts, a type of ground nuts, belong to the family of Fabaceae and species of Arachis hypogaea. The plant itself is small in which the branch of the flower touches the ground and grows underneath. The plant is thought to have originated in the American continent and through Spanish travelers, it was spread all over the world. Unlike costly nuts such as cashew nuts, pistachio nuts, almonds, and walnuts, peanuts are low-cost nuts that offer similar benefits.

Interesting Facts about Peanuts and Peanut Butter

Peanut butter comes in two popular varieties. One is a creamy variety and the other is crunchy. While women and children generally love the creamy variety, men prefer the crunchy variety.

The first commercial preparation of peanut butter was in the United States in 1884.

According to an estimate by Kansas State University, the amount of peanut butter consumed by the United States alone in one year is enough to spread across the floor of Grand Canyon.

There are 10 peanut holidays observed in the United States.

Thomas Jefferson and Jimmy Carter, who were both elected Presidents of United States, were initially peanut farmers.

Nutrition Facts About Peanuts & Peanut Butter
    People who consume peanuts and peanut products on a regular basis have an overall higher intake of protein, fats (polyunsaturated and monounsaturated), fiber, vitamins A and E, folate, calcium, magnesium, zinc, iron, potassium, and many other nutrients. Peanuts contain no saturated fats and can be consumed on a regular basis. They only contain unsaturated fats. This is good news for people who fear to gain weight by consuming peanuts. Peanuts actually help you to lose weight!

Health Benefits Of Peanut Butter
    Apart from its great taste, peanut butter has vital nutrients that are essential for the body. The health benefits of this tasty butter include the following:

Rich Source of Protein
    Peanut butter (100 grams) contains a high amount of protein (25 – 30 grams). Proteins that we eat are broken down into amino acids, which are then utilized in each and every cell for repairing and building the body.

Lowers Cholesterol Levels
    The fat content in peanut butter is almost equal to that of the fats found in olive oil. It contains both polyunsaturated fats and monounsaturated fats. As these fats are not saturated, they are good to consume without putting the heart at any risk. The unsaturated fats in peanut butter help to lower bad cholesterol levels (low-density lipoprotein) and promote the circulation of good cholesterol (high-density lipoprotein).

Prevents Type II Diabetes
    Consuming peanut butter can also be beneficial in reducing the risk of type II diabetes. Peanuts contain not only protein but also unsaturated fats. Unsaturated fats have been noted to improve insulin sensitivity. Research into peanut butter consumption and diabetes showed that a higher intake of peanut butter and other nuts lowers the risk of type II diabetes.

Good Source of Vitamins
    Peanut butter contains many vitamins that are good for our body to function properly. Vitamin A found in it is helpful for eyesight, while vitamin C helps to boost the immune system and heals simple ulcers faster. On the other hand, the vitamin E found in peanut butter is a very important micronutrient needed by our body to dissolve complex fatty acid structures and fat blockages in the arteries.

Antioxidant Properties
    Peanut butter contains antioxidant properties due to the presence of folate, niacin, pantothenic acid, pyridoxine, riboflavin, and thiamin. One of the antioxidants found in it is resveratrol. Resveratrol is a polyphenolic antioxidant which has been found to be effective in controlling certain types of cancers, heart disease, Alzheimer’s disease, viral and/or fungal infections, and degenerative nerve diseases.

Prevents Cancer
    Peanut butter contains B-sitosterol, a phytosterol that has a great property of fighting against cancer, particularly colon, prostate, and breast cancers. Peanuts and its products, such as peanut oil and peanut butter are ideal sources of phytosterols.

Regulates Blood Sugar Levels
    Peanut butter is a good source of magnesium (170mg/100 grams). This makes up for 42% of the daily recommended value of magnesium. Magnesium has an important role to play in muscle, bone, and immunity development in the body. Magnesium also helps in regulating blood sugar levels and blood pressure. Its presence in our body helps in more than 300 biochemical reactions that are extremely important for our survival.

High in Potassium
    Peanut butter contains potassium (70 mg/100g) that acts as an electrolyte and is a fluid-balancing element in the body. In comparison to sodium, which directly puts pressure on the cardiovascular system in the form of hypertension, potassium does not put any pressure either on the blood or on the cardiovascular system. In effect, potassium is a heart-friendly element that is found in high quantities in peanut butter.

Reduce Risk of Gallstones
    Gallstones, a major health risk in developed countries, is caused by being overweight, crash diets, certain types of cholesterol drugs, and birth control pills. A study on peanuts and nut consumption relating to the risk of gallstones was undertaken and the results of the study showed that over a period of 2 decades, women who consumed peanut butter and nuts on a regular basis had reduced their risk of developing gallstones.

Rich in Dietary Fiber
    Peanuts and peanut butter are both high in dietary fiber. One cup or approximately 125 g of peanuts and peanut butter has 12 g and 20 g of dietary fiber, respectively. Dietary fiber is one of the most important parts of our diet since a lack of dietary fiber can lead to several health problems and diseases such as constipation, diabetes, cholesterol, and various heart diseases.

Word of Caution: Peanut allergies are one of the major risks associated with peanut butter, according to a survey conducted in the United States.

The symptoms of the allergy include vomiting, diarrhea, abdominal pain, anaphylaxis, asthma, and angioedema. If untreated, the anaphylactic shock can be fatal. According to the study, about 3 million Americans are presently affected by peanut and tree nut allergy.

References
    https://ndb.nal.usda.gov/ndb/foods/show/4790
    http://books.google.co.in/books?id=e1I9AAAAIAAJ
    http://pdf.usaid.gov/pdf_docs/pnabk316.pdf
    http://jamanetwork.com/journals/jama...bstract/195554
    http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/1...6.00001.x/full
    http://www.tandfonline.com/doi/abs/1...27914NC3602_14
    http://www.healtheiron.com/Websites/...y_in_women.pdf
    http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/S0091-6749(99)70224-1
    https://www.organicfacts.net/health-...esignal16Nov17
    “The spirits of darkness are now among us. We have to be on guard so that we may realize what is happening when we encounter them and gain a real idea of where they are to be found. The most dangerous thing you can do in the immediate future will be to give yourself up unconsciously to the influences which are definitely present.” ~ Rudolf Steiner

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    I was reading a piece today that said that peanuts, like grapes, wine, and dark chocolate appear to have a remarkable, almost magical effect, on reversing human aging.

https://www.medicalnewstoday.com/art...aign=weekly-us

12 goes good with Jelly.
    Quote Originally Posted by dannno View Post
    It's a balance between appeasing his supporters, appeasing the deep state and reaching his own goals.
    ~Resident Badgiraffe

13 put it on your toes dog will lick it off
    Truth forever on the scaffold, Wrong forever on the throne,--
    Yet that scaffold sways the future, and, behind the dim unknown,
    Standeth God within the shadow, keeping watch above his own.
    ‫‬‫‬

Awesome stuff, peanut butter.
    #NashvilleStrong

“I’m a doctor. That’s a baby.”~~~Dr. Manny Sethi

Quote Originally Posted by William Tell View Post
    12 goes good with Jelly.
    14. Great on pretzels

Survival paste, that is what we call it.
    “The spirits of darkness are now among us. We have to be on guard so that we may realize what is happening when we encounter them and gain a real idea of where they are to be found. The most dangerous thing you can do in the immediate future will be to give yourself up unconsciously to the influences which are definitely present.” ~ Rudolf Steiner

Quote Originally Posted by donnay View Post
    14. Great on pretzels

Survival paste, that is what we call it.
    Well, personally if I run into something that looks like survival paste in the wild I'll look for something else before I taste it.
    Quote Originally Posted by dannno View Post
    It's a balance between appeasing his supporters, appeasing the deep state and reaching his own goals.
    ~Resident Badgiraffe

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Hint: When searching for the best most healthful peanut butter, look to the label for ingredients that reveal "roasted peanuts" and nothing else. So many have sugar, salt, palm oil, etc added. There are usually some that are pure and clean on the shelves, you just have to look. I like the organic smooth brands at Walmart. Smuckers, Natural, has one that is good even though it has some salt added to it.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Smucker-s...&wl13=&veh=sem
    Last edited by navy-vet; 11-17-2017 at 09:13 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by navy-vet View Post
    Hint: When searching for the best most healthful peanut butter, look to the label for ingredients that reveal "roasted peanuts" and nothing else. So many have sugar, salt, palm oil, etc added. There are some that are pure and clean on the shelves. I like the organic smooth brands at Walmart. Smuckers, Natural, has one that is good even though it has some salt added to it.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Smucker-s...&wl13=&veh=sem
    Post #7
    Make your own. Organic peanuts, of course.

Thanks donnay for bringing this up.

Quote Originally Posted by donnay View Post
    Post #7
    Make your own. Organic peanuts, of course.
    Good idea.

Well, personally if I run into something that looks like survival paste in the wild I'll look for something else before I taste it.
    The thought is: You carry it in your backpack. When you need something to eat peanut butter is the go-to.

Thanks donnay for bringing this up.
    My pleasure.

If you have a Trader Joe's near by they have raw organic peanuts. They are delicious.

That's the hard way. Food processors are faster.

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    12 goes good with Jelly.
    it goes better with chocolate
    Disclaimer: any post made after midnight and before 8AM is made before the coffee dip stick has come up to optomim level - expect some level of silliness,

The problems we face today exist because the people who work for a living are out numbered by those who vote for a living !!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by opal View Post
    Mmm

LibForestPaul

What of the problem with fungus infestation? I suppose roasting your own takes care of that problem?

pcgame

I thought someone told me not to eat too much peanut butter b/c it will increase your omega 6 intake too much.

Quote Originally Posted by LibForestPaul View Post
    What of the problem with fungus infestation? I suppose roasting your own takes care of that problem?
    I do not like to make a lot of it at a time. If you make a small batch of it, you should generally use it within a month.

I buy raw peanuts and keep them in the freezer. When I want to make a small batch I take them out and put them on a cookie sheet and roast them first.

Quote Originally Posted by pcgame View Post
    I thought someone told me not to eat too much peanut butter b/c it will increase your omega 6 intake too much.
    I would eat peanut butter in moderation--especially if you are prone to lots of inflammation.

It's too bad, the only peanut butter in a tube is sold for dogs.

Guess I could still use it for camping and such. It's not like people would think I was eating dog food.

fun fact-peanuts are legumes, not nuts.
    Quote Originally Posted by Torchbearer
    what works can never be discussed online. there is only one language the government understands, and until the people start speaking it by the magazine full... things will remain the same.
    Hear/buy my music here "government is the enemy of liberty"-RP Support me on Patreon here Ephesians 6:12

28. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Peanut-butter makes old/worn plastic bumpers look new longer than Armorall and the like for pennies on the dollar

Peanut butter goes with a lot of things--celery, marshmallows/marshmallow cream, chocolate, graham crackers, honey, any kind of jam or jelly (try mint, or apple butter), cinnamon, banana, apple.
    #NashvilleStrong

“I’m a doctor. That’s a baby.”~~~Dr. Manny Sethi

Quote Originally Posted by tod evans View Post
    Peanut-butter makes old/worn plastic bumpers look new longer than Armorall and the like for pennies on the dollar

very cool

Quote Originally Posted by opal View Post
    Mix it with dark chocolate and chase it with some red wine once or twice a week and shave ten years off your appearance in a couple of months!

Mix it with dark chocolate and chase it with some red wine once or twice a week and shave ten years off your appearance in a couple of months!
    I'd have to go with purple wine (well, blueberry or some other berry) Grapes give me hives
    Disclaimer: any post made after midnight and before 8AM is made before the coffee dip stick has come up to optomim level - expect some level of silliness,

The problems we face today exist because the people who work for a living are out numbered by those who vote for a living !!!!!!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast