Page 12 of 21 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 ... LastLast

Thread: The Starvation of Yemen

Quote Originally Posted by Firestarter View Post
    I "must spread some reputation"...
    Covered.
    Never attempt to teach a pig to sing; it wastes your time and annoys the pig.

Robert Heinlein

Give a man an inch and right away he thinks he's a ruler

Groucho Marx

I love mankind…it’s people I can’t stand.

Linus, from the Peanuts comic

You cannot have liberty without morality and morality without faith

Alexis de Torqueville

Those who fail to learn from the past are condemned to repeat it.
    Those who learn from the past are condemned to watch everybody else repeat it

A Zero Hedge comment

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Yemen's Shiite rebels are backing a U.N. call for a probe into a Saudi-led coalition airstrike in the country's north that killed dozens of people the previous day, including many children. Friday's tweet by senior Yemeni rebel leader Mohammed Ali al-Houthi says the rebels — known as Houthis — welcome the call and are willing to cooperate in an investigation of the airstrike in Saada province that hit a bus carrying civilians, including children, in a busy market.

More at: http://www.startribune.com/yemen-s-s...obe/490534161/

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

US bomb used by #Saudi #UAE strike on school bus 51killed inc 40children
    Pentagon said 9th August: doesn’t know if US-made bombs killed kids in Yemen
    “We may never know if the munition [used] was one that the US sold to them,”

Now we know its #USA made MK82

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DkTiZm9XsAAsXqE.jpg
    https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DkTiaUlXoAAFQVK.jpg

https://twitter.com/HussainBukhaiti/...95599575863296

Taiz city: Saudi/US proxies turn on each other...

Fighting started after many murders of soldiers and civilians by Abu Abbas. (our new al-Qaeda buddies)

36 people were killed and wounded in clashes between 35th brigade/Abu Abbas (AQAP-linked) against pro-Hadi forces 22th brigade in Taiz city.

https://twitter.com/YemeniObserv/sta...36579775688704

video:
    https://twitter.com/YemeniObserv/sta...56887987417093
    Last edited by goldenequity; 08-12-2018 at 06:31 AM.

The Pathetic U.S. Response to the Latest Saudi Massacre

By DANIEL LARISON • August 9, 2018, 10:25 PM

The U.S. response to the massacre of dozens of children and other civilians earlier today was predictably feeble:

The U.S. State Department called on Thursday for the Saudi-led coalition to investigate reported air strikes in Yemen that killed dozens of people, including children.

“We are certainly concerned about the reports that there was an attack that resulted in the deaths of civilians. We call on the Saudi-led coalition to conduct a thorough and transparent investigation into the incident,” State Department spokeswoman Heather Nauert told a press briefing.

Any investigation conducted by the Saudi coalition into this attack will be neither thorough nor transparent. There is no point in calling for an inquiry by the perpetrators of the crime. We already know that they will determine that they did nothing wrong. We know this because the coalition governments always find that their pilots did nothing wrong, and if that weren’t enough the Saudi king offers blanket pardons for any crimes that his forces might commit in Yemen. Coalition forces know that they won’t be punished by their own governments if they commit crimes against Yemeni civilians, and their governments know that Washington won’t penalize them, either. The Trump administration can’t even muster pro forma condemnation of the senseless slaughter of schoolchildren, so they certainly have no intention of pressuring the coalition to scale back its bombing campaign.

The Saudis and their allies have strenuously opposed independent, international investigations into war crimes committed by all sides for years. They know that an independent inquiry would expose them as serial violators of international law. The administration feigns concern about these violations, but does nothing to hold the coalition governments accountable for their crimes because our government is complicit in the commission of those crimes. That leaves it up to Congress and the public to challenge and end our indefensible policy in Yemen. https://www.theamericanconservative....eid=e989b077e2
    "The Patriarch"

"The Patriarch"

8. Remove this section of ads by registering.

school bus video emerges...
    https://twitter.com/HussainBukhaiti/...68929595187201

Quote Originally Posted by goldenequity View Post
    That's the Mark 82 produced by General Dynamics...

Raytheon’s Paveway IV was used as the guidance system for the bomb.

Since the UK-led “coalition” bombardment of Yemen began in 2015, Britain has licensed £4.7 billion worth of arms to Saudi Arabia.
    Some are manufactured at Raytheon’s Glenrothes plant. This includes the Paveway IV missile.

MP Stephen Gethins stated that if the UK claims to be a partner for peace, then it must end fuelling the conflict with billions of pounds worth of arms:
    The UK is not a mere bystander in that war, it is an active player. Despite the mounting evidence of breaches in international law, the UK government is still content on looking the other way, whilst simultaneously supplying arms and military advice to the Saudi government.
    http://www.heraldscotland.com/news/1...toll-in-yemen/
    Do NOT ever read my posts. Google and Yahoo wouldn’t block them without a very good reason: Google-censors-the-world/page3

The Order of the Garter rules the world: Order of the Garter and the Carolingian dynasty

Video footage of the children on the school bus before being targeted by Saudi Terror jets in Saada
    RIP

More infighting among Saudi proxies...:

https://twitter.com/YemeniObserv/sta...86279355047939

Houthis fighting against pro-Hadi forces in Al-Maslub district of Jawf province.

https://twitter.com/YemeniObserv/sta...87300311531520

Yemeni Children Massacred With US-Made Bomb

AARON MATE: Joining me from Yemen’s capital of Sana’a is Nasser Arrabyee. He’s a journalist and filmmaker. Welcome, Nasser. [...] Nasser, finally, let me ask you your response to the head of the Pentagon, Defense Secretary James Mattis. He was asked on Sunday about this bombing where U.S. bombs were found, and this is what he said. He said, quote: We are not engaged in the civil war. We will help to prevent, you know, the killing of innocent people. Unquote. And then he went on to say that he will dispatch a three star general to Saudi Arabia to help find out what happened. But I was curious to get your thoughts on the head of the U.S. military, James Mattis, saying that the U.S. is not engaged in the civil war in Yemen.

NASSER ARRABYEE: This is very funny. You know, James Mattis is not talking about Saudis because they, you know, they, Trump loves Saudis, and James Mattis loves Saudis, and they love their dirty money. This is OK. But let me tell you something as Yemeni, an observer, as an observer, as a journalist, I would tell you that what engagement would mean if, if they refueled the airplanes in the middle of the sky, and if they, if they do the surveillance and the reconnaissance, and the minesweeping, and selling their weapons. And so what would- I mean, what more James Mattis wants to say we are engaged? He’s doing all this. He’s doing all these things. And we as Yemenis, we, from day one we are sure that Saudis would not have gone to the war at all if there is no, I mean, without the U.S. approval, without the U.S. consent, without the U.S. support and everything.

So this is very funny. I mean, everybody knows that America is doing this, and America is killing Yemen. Unfortunately. You know, I myself, you know, I myself am, you know, as secular- I’m secularist. I’m not Shiite, I’m not Sunni. But what I’m seeing with my eyes and what I’m hearing is something that, that is, you know, violating everything that I know about America, and about the value, American values, and human rights, and democracy, and all these things. So this is something that is, you know, when we see this senior official saying this, it’s very funny. I mean, it’s, it’s destroying the U.S. values, unfortunately.

AARON MATE: We’ll leave it there. Nasser Arrabyee, journalist and filmmaker, speaking to us from the Yemeni capital of Sana’a. Thank you.

https://therealnews.com/stories/yeme...h-us-made-bomb

The US Is Deeply Complicit in Saudi Coalition Crimes in Yemen:

By: Daniel Larison
    Date: August 13, 2018

The reality is that the coalition relies on U.S. and British military assistance to wage their war and would not be able to continue it without that support. Bruce Riedel says as much here:

Mattis must know this, and this is why he has strenuously opposed any effort to curtail or end U.S. support for the war. Cutting off U.S. military assistance to the coalition would force those governments to halt their campaign, and the Trump administration has no desire to stop them. On the contrary, the administration has backed them to the hilt and refuses to hold them accountable even when they commit the most egregious war crimes, including the slaughter of dozens of children.

U.S. support for the Saudi coalition is essential to their war effort, and that makes our government deeply complicit in what the coalition does in Yemen.

Daniel Larison is a senior editor at The American Conservative, where he also keeps a solo blog. He has been published in the New York Times Book Review, Dallas Morning News, Orthodox Life, Front Porch Republic, The American Scene, and Culture11, and is a columnist for The Week. He holds a PhD in history from the University of Chicago, and resides in Dallas. Follow him on Twitter. This article is reprinted from The American Conservative with permission.

https://www.antiwar.com/blog/2018/08...imes-in-yemen/

America Is Committing War Crimes and Doesn’t Even Know Why

The United States has spent far more time obscuring its role in the Saudi-led war in Yemen than in explaining any rationale for it.
    BY MICAH ZENKO | AUGUST 15, 2018, 9:44 AM

By any reasonable assessment, the U.S. government should have stopped providing direct military support to the Saudi Arabia-led air campaign in Yemen on the day after it started. Washington’s participation began on March 26, 2015, when a White House spokesperson announced, “President Obama has authorized the provision of logistical and intelligence support to [Gulf Cooperation Council]-led military operations.” On March 26, toward the end of a Senate Armed Services Committee hearing, Sen. Kirsten Gillibrand (D-N.Y.) asked U.S. Central Command commander Gen. Lloyd Austin what the ultimate goal of the GCC air campaign in Yemen was, and for the general to estimate its likelihood of success.

Gen. Austin answered with refreshing honesty: “I don’t currently know the specific goals and objectives of the Saudi campaign, and I would have to know that to be able to assess the likelihood of success.” Gillibrand replied, “Well, I do hope you get the information sooner than later.” In other words, the military commander responsible for overseeing the provision of support for a new air war in the Middle East did not know what the goals of the intervention were, or how he could evaluate whether it was successful. The United States had become a willing co-combatant in a war without any direction or clear end state.

Two inevitable results have followed. First, there have been a litany of war crimes of the sort perpetrated last weekend, in which Saudi planes, using American munitions, bombed a school bus killing dozens of Yemeni schoolchildren. Second, the U.S. government has responded to these crimes with silences that might seem chastened, but in truth must be classified as defiant, given the bureaucratic maneuvering undertaken to obscure the United States’ unthinking complicity both to outsiders and to itself. (The U.S. military claims not to even track the results of the Yemeni missions that its forces are involved in.) Neither President Donald Trump, nor Secretary of State Mike Pompeo has publicly addressed this latest massacre. A Pentagon spokesperson only requested that Saudi Arabia “expeditiously and thoroughly investigate this tragic incident.”

Three years into Yemen’s ever-worsening humanitarian nightmare, Congress and the American people have never received a clear response to Gillibrand’s preliminary and prescient question about whether the war has ever had a strategy at all. Civilian and military officials, for their part, have long since stopped pretending to clarify or defend America’s co-combatant status. Rather, they have highlighted their support for successive U.N. special envoys to broker a diplomatic peace process between the warring parties. Instead of clarifying U.S. policy, or acknowledging U.S. culpability for the indiscriminate air campaign that it facilitates, American officials have successfully offshored the problem to the United Nations.

There is a simple reason officials from both the Obama and Trump administrations have made no public efforts to justify the material support provided to the Saudi-led intervention: It is unjustifiable. Less than a month into the U.S. role, an anonymous Pentagon official provided what is probably the most sincere answer: “If you ask why we’re backing this … the answer you’re going to get from most people—if they were being honest—is that we weren’t going to be able to stop it.” This constitutes gross strategic negligence: effectively allowing the poor decisions of Gulf monarchies to determine U.S. military policy.

In off-the-record comments, Obama officials would try to make a policy rationale for participation in the Yemen war, connecting U.S. aid to Gulf militaries with their leaders’ support for the Iran nuclear deal. Since President Trump declared withdrawal from that deal three months ago, this already-tenuous justification no longer holds.

Now, some Trump officials I have spoken with make an inherently weak argument to rationalize the continued backing of the air war: that it serves to “check Iran’s malign influence” in the region. This might be true were it not the case that whenever the United States intervenes in the Middle East, or supports others’ interventions, it creates the chaotic conditions that amplify Iran’s malign influence. Moreover, it is preposterous that backing a horrific and indiscriminate bombing campaign, which primarily targets Iranian-supported Houthi forces, will compel any change in Iran’s behavior outside of its territory.

https://foreignpolicy.com/2018/08/15...even-know-why/
    "The Patriarch"

17. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Saudi Arabia may be looking to build an oil port in Yemen’s southeast al-Mahra governorate, where the Saudi-led coalition troops are present, Al Jazeera reported on Monday, quoting sources and a document it has obtained.
    Saudi Arabia-based marine construction company Huta Marine has sent a letter to the Saudi ambassador to Yemen in which it thanks the official for the opportunity to submit a technical and financial proposal for the future oil port, according to the document that Al Jazeera has obtained.
    The al-Mahra governorate borders Oman, and the border crossing, as well as the seaport and airport in the governorate, is under the control of the Saudi and UAE coalition, which has been fighting the Iran-aligned Houthi rebels in Yemen since 2015.
    Earlier this month, Yemen was said to have resumed oil exports.
    Despite a worsening humanitarian crisis in Yemen amid a war between the Houthi rebels and a coalition between Saudi Arabia and the UAE, the poorest Arab country has found a way to restart oil production and has even exported the first cargo: 500,000 barrels from a field in the southern Shabwa province bound for a Chinese company, The National reports.

This is the first outbound shipment of crude oil from Yemen since 2015 when a civil war broke out and quickly escalated into an international conflict. The oil was offered in an open tender, in which 35 companies from around the world took part, the Yemeni ministry of oil and minerals said in a statement.
    Now there are plans to restart the rest of the oil fields in Shabwa and neighboring provinces, the secretary to the oil and minerals minister told The Emirati daily. The provinces are under the control of the elected government that the Houthis are fighting as a result of the intervention of the Saudi and Emirati forces.

https://oilprice.com/Latest-Energy-N...-In-Yemen.html

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

https://twitter.com/TimothyS/status/1030920463822868480

https://twitter.com/JimCarrey/status...49493807116288

"The Patriarch"

Quote Originally Posted by Swordsmyth View Post
    Saudi Arabia may be looking to build an oil port in Yemen’s southeast al-Mahra governorate, where the Saudi-led coalition troops are present, Al Jazeera reported on Monday, quoting sources and a document it has obtained.
    Saudi Arabia-based marine construction company Huta Marine has sent a letter to the Saudi ambassador to Yemen in which it thanks the official for the opportunity to submit a technical and financial proposal for the future oil port, according to the document that Al Jazeera has obtained.
    This couldn’t be THE motive could it?

Saudi Arabia reportedly also plans to construct a pipeline to transport Saudi oil to the port.

The port has been under control from Saudi Arabia and the UAE since December 2017: https://www.aljazeera.com/news/2018/...082111526.html

Last Sunday it was reported that Saudi warplanes (again) struck 2 fishing boats in waters near Hodeidah, killing 13 people, injuring 4 others, while another 4 Yemeni fishermen are still missing.

The United Nations says 22.2 million Yemenis are in need of food aid, including 8.4 million on the verge of starvation.
    According to the UN, from November to February an estimated 100,000 people were driven from their homes by the increased war effort by the coalition: https://www.presstv.com/Detail/2018/...fishermen-dead

In reply to the murder of fishermen, the Ministry of Fish Wealth held a press conference where they called on the (deaf, dumb and blind) UN, Security Council and international humanitarian organisations to officially label this crime and previous crimes against fishermen as “crimes against humanity”.

The head of the General Authority for Fisheries in the Red Sea, Abdul Qader al-Wadai, said that the total number of victims by coalition bombing includes 213 dead and 204 wounded and 4 missing fishermen. He added that the number of operations against fishermen totals 70 since March 2015.
    Undersecretary of the Ministry of Fish Wealth estimates the total losses of the fish sector in the Red Sea as a result of the coalition bombing at more than $5 billion: http://en.althawranews.net/2018/08/4...he-aggression/
    Do NOT ever read my posts. Google and Yahoo wouldn’t block them without a very good reason: Google-censors-the-world/page3

The Order of the Garter rules the world: Order of the Garter and the Carolingian dynasty

Arrow Slightly less FAKE, news?

MSM Finally Concedes Defeat On Yemen, Ceases Blackout Of Coverage

Last month, an article by Fair.org went viral in republications by popular alternative media outlets ranging from Salon to Zero Hedge to Alternet to Truthdig, among many others. The article was initially titled “ACTION ALERT: It’s Been Over a Year Since MSNBC Has Mentioned US War in Yemen”, but many subsequent republications went with variations on the more attention-grabbing headline, “MSNBC has done 455 Stormy Daniels segments in the last year — but none on U.S. war in Yemen”.

The centerpiece of the article was the following graphic, which I saw shared on its own many times in my social media feeds:

That’s about as in your face as it gets, isn’t it?

You only show up to attack Trump when he is wrong
    Make America the Land of the Free & the Home of the Brave again

This couldn’t be THE motive could it?
    I'm sure it is.

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

Liberty Report/ video
    https://twitter.com/RonPaul/status/1032315754899820544

Senate Leadership Blocks Voting on Amendment to Defund Yemen War

Senate Leadership Blocks Voting on Amendment to Defund Yemen War

Sen. Murphy's amendment won't get hearing for Defense Appropriations Act

Sen. Chris Murphy’s (D-CT) amendment to withdraw all funding for the US involvement in the war in Yemen was blocked by Senate leadership on Wednesday, preventing it from getting a vote for inclusion in the 2019 Defense Appropriations Act.

There was language aiming to limit US involvement in Yemen in the 2019 NDAA, but President Trump’s signing statement indicated that he doesn’t intend to comply with that. This meant using control over the funding, through the appropriations act, was the next real chance to require compliance.

The Murphy Amendment said largely the same thing that the language in the NDAA said, except with the added threat of revoking funding. It seeks for the administration to certify that any US involvement complies with international law. President Trump objected to offering such a report to Congress.

Senate leaders complaining they felt that the appropriations act was too important to pass to allow it to be cluttered by amendments that limit where the war funding included in it goes. This means, barring another bid for a War Powers Act challenge, the unauthorized US involvement in the war will continue.

https://news.antiwar.com/2018/08/22/...und-yemen-war/

The following video is of Senator Christopher Murphy's floor speech asking Senate Leadership to allow Vote on his amendment to appropriation's bill: Senate leadership (ie. Senator Richard Shelby, Alabama, who is Chairman of the Senate Appropriations Committee) objected and stopped this vote from occurring:

So i wonder what the game plan for Yemen is now? Senate leadership stopped Christopher Murphy's amendment to the appropriations bill. So the money is allocated to continue U.S. participation in this war on the Senate side. How about the House side? Have they passed their side of this funding bill yet? Is there any chance when the two sides come together an amendment can still be pushed through for this?
    Last edited by charrob; 08-24-2018 at 03:33 PM.

26. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    It was some 2 weeks ago that Saudi bombed a school bus that killed 51 people, including 40 children, and injuring nearly 80 others.
    The bombs continue…

At least 31 civilians, mostly children, have been killed after an airstrike hit another bus on Thursday, killing at least 22 children and 4 women, some 20 km from Hodeidah.
    Four families were fleeing homes after earlier coalition airstrikes killed 4 and injured 2 “They wanted to save their lives, their children's lives. Is nowhere safe for us?".

According to the International Rescue Committee airstrikes in al-Duraihmi on Wednesday killed another 13: https://edition.cnn.com/2018/08/24/m...ntl/index.html

Top UN official Mark Lowcock, admitted that the coalition was responsible for the attack that killed 31. He said another airstrike in the area had killed 4 children.
    According to Lowcock, it is not necessary to stop the war by condemning the brutal slaughter of Yemenis with a UN resolution, but instead:
    an impartial, independent and prompt investigation into these most recent incidents
    parties to the conflict must respect their obligations under international humanitarian law and those with influence over them must ensure that everything possible is done to protect civilians.
    The Saudis and their coalition partners have repeatedly claimed that they “go out of their way to avoid civilians”: https://www.nytimes.com/2018/08/24/w...-children.html

In the meantime the George Soros sponsored Human Rights Watch (HRW), released a 90-page report, also calling for an “independent” investigation into the war crimes by the coalition. The investigations by the coalition, by the Joint Incidents Assessment Team (JIAT), lack credibility.

The vast majority of JIAT’s public conclusions are that the coalition acted lawfully, did not carry out the reported attack, or made an “unintentional” mistake.
    JIAT for example concluded that a September 2016 attack on a water well that killed and wounded dozens of civilians was an “unintended mistake” but HRW found at least 11 bomb craters at the site.

The weapons’ suppliers to the coalition – including the US, UK, and France – are “at risk” of complicity in the “unlawful attacks”.
    The US became a party to the Yemen conflict soon after fighting began in March 2015, by providing direct operational support to air operations. Unfortunately HRW “forgets” the role of Britain...

HRW said the coalition should “compensate” victims of “unlawful attacks”.
    Besides calling for an “independent” investigation, HRW urges Yemen to join the International Criminal Court (one of many “criminal” courts that protect organised crime…): https://www.hrw.org/news/2018/08/24/...urb-violations

It looks like the genocide of Yemen will continue, while all the (real) terrorists deny responsibility and (the shareholders of) the big arms corporation get even richer…
    HRW doesn’t call for a UN resolution that condemns the genocide. I really hope that HRW and the UN don’t lose the credibility they don’t deserve!

Thumbs down Donald of Arabia

U.S. Air Force tanker refueling Saudi coalition jets off the coast of Yemen
    https://twitter.com/r_u_vid/status/1033134928282628096

US State Department is OK with Saudis "investigating" their own massacres in Yemen

The US State Department explanation why they sanction Russia

Last edited by goldenequity; 08-25-2018 at 02:17 PM.

Liberty Report/ video
    https://twitter.com/RonPaul/status/1032315754899820544
    Thanks goldenequity. Here's a youtube of it that can be shared as well:

Col. Lawrence Wilkerson: “We actually have special forces on the ground in Yemen assisting the ground effort. Not just intelligence, munitions and air support.”
    Last edited by charrob; 08-26-2018 at 12:45 AM.

....and then there was 1.

Two months ago,in Eid al-fitr this father was celebrating Eid with his 4 sons
    but in this Eid Adha he was only celebrating eid with his only one son after his other sons were killed
    by Saudi airstrikes on a school bus in Dhahian area of Saada in northern #Yemen on Aug 9 #SOSYemen
    https://twitter.com/Fatikr/status/1033508627070550016

Those pictures of the Yemeni family. before & after are heart wrenching. I feel sick.

According to an “informed source”, Crown Prince Mohammad Bin Salman of Saudi Arabia said; I:
    Do not care about international criticism. We want to leave a big impact on the consciousness of Yemeni generations. We want their children, women and even their men to shiver whenever the name of Saudi Arabia is mentioned.
    According to UN officials, who can’t count, “more than 10,000 people” have been killed in the war against Yemen.

Earlier this month, UNICEF said that as many as 66,000 Yemeni children under the age of 5 die every year from preventable diseases.
    UNICEF’s Meritxell Relano tweeted that half of these children die in the first month of life, while others die from preventable diseases like diarrhoea, pneumonia and malnutrition: https://www.middleeastmonitor.com/20...able-diseases/

According to an “informed source”, Crown Prince Mohammad Bin Salman of Saudi Arabia said; I:

Do not care about international criticism. We want to leave a big impact on the consciousness of Yemeni generations. We want their children, women and even their men to shiver whenever the name of Saudi Arabia is mentioned.
    Did it ever occur to him that those shivers might be shivers of hate rather than fear?
    SA may end up creating its own "IRA".

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

35. Remove this section of ads by registering.
Page 12 of 21 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 ... LastLast

Select a tag for more discussion on that topic