Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Women preachers/pastors/priests

Quote Originally Posted by Anti Federalist View Post
    So what, exactly does that mean?
    It means that God needs an interpreter. Because he doesn't know english so good.
    All modern revolutions have ended in a reinforcement of the power of the State.
    -Albert Camus

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.

4. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    As long as she's hot and just preaches in her silken panties.

Quote Originally Posted by donnay View Post
    2 Timothy 2:15 (KJV)

15 Study to shew thyself approved unto God, a workman that needeth not to be ashamed, rightly dividing the word of truth.
    Do you have that in English
    It's all about taking action and not being lazy. So you do the work, whether it's fitness or whatever. It's about getting up, motivating yourself and just doing it.
    - Kim Kardashian

Donald Trump / Crenshaw 2024!!!!

My pronouns are he/him/his

It means you need to study the Bible. You need to know the subject matter before you take it and run with it.

Questions to ask yourself:

1. What is the subject?

2. To whom is Paul referring to in the subject.

3. Is this regarding the false teaching in Ephesus?

4. Is "authority" poorly translated? (Greek word “authentein” )

This is why it crucial to rightly divide the word.

I like this Bible Study and have learned so much by studying the Bible with a King James Version Companion Bible and The Strong's Concordance.

http://worldeventsandthebible.com/bible-study
    I think it means you're making $#@! up as you go
    It's all about taking action and not being lazy. So you do the work, whether it's fitness or whatever. It's about getting up, motivating yourself and just doing it.
    - Kim Kardashian

Donald Trump / Crenshaw 2024!!!!

My pronouns are he/him/his

It means you need to study the Bible. You need to know the subject matter before you take it and run with it.

Questions to ask yourself:

1. What is the subject?

2. To whom is Paul referring to in the subject.

3. Is this regarding the false teaching in Ephesus?

4. Is "authority" poorly translated? (Greek word “authentein” )

This is why it crucial to rightly divide the word.

I like this Bible Study and have learned so much by studying the Bible with a King James Version Companion Bible and The Strong's Concordance.

http://worldeventsandthebible.com/bible-study
    You're the expert, I'm asking you.

I'm not gonna sit around and argue about obscure meanings and mistranslated text and what was on the Big Guy's mind when he slapped Paul in the head and told him to write this.

Do short fat lesbian broads with a divinity degree from Wellesly have authority over men in the church or not?

Quote Originally Posted by otherone View Post
    It means that God needs an interpreter. Because he doesn't know english so good.
    I swear to, well, God.

Reminds me of "Constitutional Scholars".

I obviously need 12 years of study and a $150,000 Master's degree to figure out that "Congress shall make no law" and "Shall not be infringed" don't mean what they say they mean.

Quote Originally Posted by TheTexan View Post
    Do you have that in English
    English? Greek, Hebrew, and Aramaic. One of the reasons why you need Bible tools to study. KJV Companion Bible and the Strong's Concordance. Also there is the Green's Interlinear.

Quote Originally Posted by TheTexan View Post
    I think it means you're making $#@! up as you go
    Nope not my word, God's word.
    “The spirits of darkness are now among us. We have to be on guard so that we may realize what is happening when we encounter them and gain a real idea of where they are to be found. The most dangerous thing you can do in the immediate future will be to give yourself up unconsciously to the influences which are definitely present.” ~ Rudolf Steiner

You're the expert, I'm asking you.

I'm not gonna sit around and argue about obscure meanings and mistranslated text and what was on the Big Guy's mind when he slapped Paul in the head and told him to write this.

Do short fat lesbian broads with a divinity degree from Wellesly have authority over men in the church or not?
    I am by no means an expert, I am student of God's word.

ETA: Also, Paul was struck down on the road to Damascus. Paul was also called Saul before that. Saul wanted to persecute the Church. He held the coats for those who stoned Stephen.

Leviticus 18 speaks volumes with regards to your last question.
    Last edited by donnay; 11-01-2017 at 03:23 PM.
    “The spirits of darkness are now among us. We have to be on guard so that we may realize what is happening when we encounter them and gain a real idea of where they are to be found. The most dangerous thing you can do in the immediate future will be to give yourself up unconsciously to the influences which are definitely present.” ~ Rudolf Steiner

Quote Originally Posted by Raginfridus View Post
    You are going to spend eternity burning in the hell-fires of damnation for that comment.
    1. Don't lie.
    2. Don't cheat.
    3. Don't steal.
    4. Don't kill.
    5. Don't commit adultery.
    6. Don't covet what your neighbor has, especially his wife.
    7. Honor your father and mother.
    8. Remember the Sabbath and keep it Holy.
    9. Don’t use your Higher Power's name in vain, or anyone else's.
    10. Do unto others as you would have them do to you.

"For the love of money is the root of all evil..." -- I Timothy 6:10, KJV

13. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    I am by no means an expert, I am student of God's word.

ETA: Also, Paul was struck down on the road to Damascus. Paul was also called Saul before that. Saul wanted to persecute the Church. He held the coats for those who stoned Stephen.

Leviticus 18 speaks volumes with regards to your last question.

You think it can be narrowed down for you in a sound-bite? It cannot--sorry.

That would depend on the church and whether the men there are willing to sit under a woman.

I have a degree in Bible. What I would suggest is that God is the same all the time, and if there is something he commands, there will never be an exception. There are clear examples in both the OT and NT where women were in leadership positions in the church or were given special gifts for minstering the word of God. God does not put people in positions where they have to choose between breaking one command or another. The choice is never this sin or that. The choice is always to sin or take the way out God provides.
    #NashvilleStrong

“I’m a doctor. That’s a baby.”~~~Dr. Manny Sethi

Hahaha, ...NO.
    Pfizer Macht Frei!

Openly Straight Man, Danke, Awarded Top Rated Influencer. Community Standards Enforcer.

Quiz: Test Your "Income" Tax IQ!

Short Income Tax Video

The Income Tax Is An Excise, And Excise Taxes Are Privilege Taxes

The Federalist Papers, No. 15:

Except as to the rule of appointment, the United States have an indefinite discretion to make requisitions for men and money; but they have no authority to raise either by regulations extending to the individual citizens of America.

Quote Originally Posted by euphemia View Post
    That would depend on the church and whether the men there are willing to sit under a woman.

I have a degree in Bible. What I would suggest is that God is the same all the time, and if there is something he commands, there will never be an exception. There are clear examples in both the OT and NT where women were in leadership positions in the church or were given special gifts for minstering the word of God. God does not put people in positions where they have to choose between breaking one command or another. The choice is never this sin or that. The choice is always to sin or take the way out God provides.
    Ah, OK.

So Paul was as full of crap when he wrote Timothy as when he wrote Romans 13.

Quote Originally Posted by Danke View Post
    Hahaha, ...NO.
    Well I agree, you're not gonna find me in such a church.

I'm just trying to discern whether it is biblical or not.

Which is proving as hard as trying to grasp a greased eel.

Quote Originally Posted by Raginfridus View Post
    Yah...be my guest pal.

Ah, OK.

I didn't say that. What I said is that if God intends things to be carved in stone, then he actually does carve it in stone. And if I believe God is consistent with his own character, as the Bible says, then he would not honor any exceptions at all. Even Paul recognized the daughters of Philip the evangelist. The daughters prophesied. Paul stayed with them in Acts 21. On the Day of Pentecost Peter preached from Joel 2 reminding people that in the last days "Your sons and your daughters will prophesy"...and "Even on my servants, both men and women, I will pour out my Spirit in those days, and they will prophesy."

God has decreed it will happen. What I suggest is that there is probably some historical context about which we are not made aware. There are many writers out there who feel that some of these things were written specifically to people in those churches who were deviating from standard practice of what was being taught by the apostles. It is very clear in the Pastoral Epistles that Paul was writing to encourage orderly practice. Phoebe was a deaconess. She delivered the Letter to the Romans. Paul certainly recognized and mentioned her in very specific language.

Let's just remember that the early church was very much in development. They met secretly, for the most part, and in homes. And if you want to get right down to it, most of the hospitality in the church today is done by women, but the original deacons were set apart because the apostles were spending too much time waiting on tables.

And since you mention Timothy, and looking at Titus, you see that elders/overseers are to be the husbands of one wife. This would discount the requirement that priests remain unmarried and celebate.

That's random thinking with references for you all to look at. YMMV
    #NashvilleStrong

22. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Well I agree, you're not gonna find me in such a church.

I'm just trying to discern whether it is biblical or not.

Which is proving as hard as trying to grasp a greased eel.
    Psalms?
    All modern revolutions have ended in a reinforcement of the power of the State.
    -Albert Camus

I get what you're saying AF. I'm a student of leadership. What I know is how the western church does things.

What I also know is there are people like Mary Slessor who personally evangelized a large part of present-day Nigeria. She was highly respected as a leader and Bible teacher there. They called her the white Queen of Calibar. She was kind of like a judge and evangelist.

Then you have people like Gladys Aylward. You can see what she did in China. Igrid Bergman played her in The Inn of the Seventh Happiness. The film downplays the ministry part of Aylward's work, but you can find a lot written about her.

God clearly blesses the work of women. I went to a fundie school, so trust me when I say I have seen more than my share of what you might call chauvinistic teaching. The "official" church narrative does not fit the facts of what actually happened.

My personal practice is not to allow personal ambition to rule me. If I am asked to teach a class, I'll teach it. I am one of the lay readers at my church, so I participate there. If I'm asked to speak for a minute or two in church, I'll do it. It's what a leader has felt led to ask me to do. I don't run my church and I don't try to tell leadership what to do. My particular denomination ordains women. Ordained women work for the diocese. That's not something I feel called to do.
    #NashvilleStrong

Ah, OK.

Paul didn't write 1 and 2 Timothy, Timotheus (Timothy) did.

Paul: Paul was the most prolific of the Apostles. He is the main character of Acts. He wrote Romans, Corinthians Colossians and more. Through his writings many of the customs and laws of the early church were developed.

Timotheus: Timothy was an associate of Paul and the recipient of 1 and 2 Timothy.
    http://www.bookrags.com/notes/bnt/chr.html#gsc.tab=0

Um, no, Paul wrote 1 & 2 Timothy and Titus.
    Paul, an apostle of Christ Jesus by the command of God our Savior and of Christ Jesus our hope, To Timothy my true son in the faith: Grace, mercy and peace from God the Father and Christ Jesus our Lord.
    1 Tim 1:1-2.
    #NashvilleStrong

Paul didn't write 1 and 2 Timothy, Timotheus (Timothy) did.
    The Apostle Paul (Saul) wrote Timothy 1 Timothy 2 and Titus.

The First Epistle of Paul to Timothy, usually referred to simply as First Timothy and often written 1 Timothy, is one of three letters in the New Testament of the Bible often grouped together as the Pastoral Epistles, along with Second Timothy and Titus. The letter, traditionally attributed to the Apostle Paul, consists mainly of counsels to his younger colleague and delegate Timothy regarding his ministry in Ephesus (1:3).

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/First_Epistle_to_Timothy

Quote Originally Posted by euphemia View Post
    Um, no, Paul wrote 1 & 2 Timothy and Titus.
    1 Tim 1:1-2.
    Paul wrote letters to Timothy and Timothy wrote 1 and 2 Timothy.

Back to the discussion, AF. I have a degree, but I'm not going to pretend I have everything fully figured out. What the Bible says is that every believer should be fully convinced in his own mind and whatever is not done faith is sin. When I'm fully convinced the Bible says to do something, I'll do it. My husband and I are that way.
    #NashvilleStrong

Paul wrote letters to Timothy and Timothy wrote 1 and 2 Timothy.
    Did you not just read the opening verses of 1 Timothy? It's right there in the text. And it's in your quote. Timothy was the *recipient* of 1 & 2 Timothy.
    Last edited by euphemia; 11-01-2017 at 06:18 PM.
    #NashvilleStrong

31. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Yah...be my guest pal.

Pfizer Macht Frei!

Openly Straight Man, Danke, Awarded Top Rated Influencer. Community Standards Enforcer.

Short Income Tax Video

Except as to the rule of appointment, the United States have an indefinite discretion to make requisitions for men and money; but they have no authority to raise either by regulations extending to the individual citizens of America.

Quote Originally Posted by otherone View Post
    I think God is an Anarchist .

Quote Originally Posted by oyarde View Post
    I think God is an Anarchist .

That's what we'd expect from a godless heathen.
    Pfizer Macht Frei!

Short Income Tax Video

Quote Originally Posted by Danke View Post
    That's what we'd expect from a godless heathen.
    So you worship the big govt God ?

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast