Thread: New policy for cheerleading team angers girls who made the squad

New policy for cheerleading team angers girls who made the squad

http://newjersey.news12.com/story/38...made-the-squad

May 2, 2018

EAST HANOVER -
    A group of high school cheerleaders addressed officials at a board of education meeting in East Hanover Wednesday evening about their disappointment over a new policy for the team.

After cheerleading tryouts at Hanover Park High School in East Hanover were held April 13, some cuts were made.

But when a parent complained about their child not being allowed on the team, the athletic director changed the policy to allow anyone who wants to be on the team to join. But this new policy is not seeing well with some cheerleaders.

The administration says that the change came due to an “irregularity in the selection process.”

The parents tell News 12 New Jersey that they sent letters to the principal and athletic director complaining about the policy. They say that the principal then threatened to disband the squad all together.

So 10 members of the squad, backed by their parents, came to ask the board to reverse the policy so that team members are forced to earn their spot through hard work and tryouts.

“I came up here to state that I did not put in 18 months of work to lead up to this moment, just to be told it didn’t matter anymore,” says sophomore Jada Alcontara.

“I tried my hardest. Now everything is going away because of one child who did not make the team. And their parent complained so now all my hard work has been thrown out the window,” student Stephan Krueger says.

The school board says in a statement, “In order to facilitate a more inclusive program, the alignment between the various cheerleading squads would be modified to allow all interested students to be able to participate. This decision was made in the best interest of all students and was made to be as inclusive as possible.”

The board president says that they will discuss the matter and make a decision at a later date.

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    I think they can get away with that. I don't think Cheerleading is considered a sport.

After years of gymnastics, my daughter did competitive cheerleading for several years and competed nationally. That is different than High School cheerleading. My daughter was the first sophomore captain ever at her school but she quit that team and focused her efforts on her competitive team.

Since it is not a sport, I could see how the school administration could say that they can make room for any person that wants to participate.

Ridiculous! I was a cheerleader in HS and I would've quit if we weren't allowed try outs. Is it a sport? Maybe not but it certainly has some physical requirements.

Quote Originally Posted by Schifference View Post
    I think they can get away with that. I don't think Cheerleading is considered a sport.

After years of gymnastics, my daughter did competitive cheerleading for several years and competed nationally. That is different than High School cheerleading. My daughter was the first sophomore captain ever at her school but she quit that team and focused her efforts on her competitive team.

Since it is not a sport, I could see how the school administration could say that they can make room for any person that wants to participate.
    We had academic clubs with requirements to join. They weren't sports but there's no way they were gonna let me in and, rightfully so.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron Paul View Post
    The intellectual battle for liberty can appear to be a lonely one at times. However, the numbers are not as important as the principles that we hold. Leonard Read always taught that "it's not a numbers game, but an ideological game." That's why it's important to continue to provide a principled philosophy as to what the role of government ought to be, despite the numbers that stare us in the face.
    Quote Originally Posted by Origanalist View Post
    This intellectually stimulating conversation is the reason I keep coming here.

My school had an all inclusive thing . I think it was called cheer block . You drink some beer , paint yourself orange and all sit together and cheer if your team does something good , something like that ...... I never tried it , well , except the beer drinking .
    Do something Danke

Quote Originally Posted by oyarde View Post
    My school had an all inclusive thing . I think it was called cheer block . You drink some beer , paint yourself orange and all sit together and cheer if your team does something good , something like that ...... I never tried it , well , except the beer drinking .
    You don't wear war paint?
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron Paul View Post
    The intellectual battle for liberty can appear to be a lonely one at times. However, the numbers are not as important as the principles that we hold. Leonard Read always taught that "it's not a numbers game, but an ideological game." That's why it's important to continue to provide a principled philosophy as to what the role of government ought to be, despite the numbers that stare us in the face.
    Quote Originally Posted by Origanalist View Post
    This intellectually stimulating conversation is the reason I keep coming here.

Quote Originally Posted by Suzanimal View Post
    You don't wear war paint?
    Yes but not while I was playing , the other teams always had a parent that would cry about it , mostly I think because I was stomping some ass .
    Do something Danke