Thread: Good Samaritan Builds Staircase In Park For $550 After City Estimates $65,000

Good Samaritan Builds Staircase In Park For $550 After City Estimates $65,000

Good Samaritan Builds Staircase In Park For $550 After City Estimates $65,000

ByAmanda Froelich
    July 21, 2017

This is one example of bureaucracy slowing progress rather than fueling it.

Quite often, bureaucracy impedes progress rather than propels it. This was recently made evident after a retired mechanic took it upon himself to construct a $550 staircase on a dangerous local park trail which the city council estimated would cost $65,000.

The park, located in Etobicoke, Ontario, became the subject of discussion after two locals were injured on the rocky Tom Riley Park path. Local citizens contacted the city for a price estimate on the staircase. The eight-step staircase was estimated to cost anywhere from $65,000 to $150,000, which is obviously out of reach for most.

Dismayed as well as frustrated by the proposal, Adi Astl got to work planning then constructing the staircase. A few neighbors chipped in to help finance the stairs, and Astl hired a homeless man to assist with the project. Within only a matter of hours, the eight-step staircase was completed. And the total cost? A mere $550.

Read More: http://www.trueactivist.com/good-sam...zen.yandex.com
    “The spirits of darkness are now among us. We have to be on guard so that we may realize what is happening when we encounter them and gain a real idea of where they are to be found. The most dangerous thing you can do in the immediate future will be to give yourself up unconsciously to the influences which are definitely present.” ~ Rudolf Steiner

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    expect them to be taken down and the erector to be fined.

That's some sorry looking construction work tho...
    No - No - No - No

Quote Originally Posted by asurfaholic View Post
    Honestly. Maybe it'll do for now though.
    Quote Originally Posted by timosman View Post
    This is getting silly.
    Quote Originally Posted by Swordsmyth View Post
    It started silly.
    T.S. Eliot's The Hollow Men

"One of the penalties for refusing to participate in politics is that you end up being governed by your inferiors." - Plato

We Are Running Out of Time - Mini Me

Quote Originally Posted by Philhelm
    I part ways with "libertarianism" when it transitions from ideology grounded in logic into self-defeating autism for the sake of ideological purity.

Quote Originally Posted by nobody's_hero View Post
    Honestly. Maybe it'll do for now though.
    Nope. T'was repealed and replaced, by a quality, govt built staircase
    It's all about taking action and not being lazy. So you do the work, whether it's fitness or whatever. It's about getting up, motivating yourself and just doing it.
    - Kim Kardashian

Donald Trump / Crenshaw 2024!!!!

My pronouns are he/him/his

Quote Originally Posted by asurfaholic View Post
    Yeah, no kidding! Was that mechanic also on meth?!

*Note to good Samaritans: If you're going to show up government, at least do it right. This just makes government look good.

(I wouldn't be surprised, though, if some contractor awaiting the contract was getting tired of the city dragging their feet. So he hired this "mechanic" and a homeless guy to make a bigger mess to kick the city planners in the ass.)
    "And now that the legislators and do-gooders have so futilely inflicted so many systems upon society, may they finally end where they should have begun: May they reject all systems, and try liberty; for liberty is an acknowledgment of faith in God and His works." - Bastiat

"It is difficult to free fools from the chains they revere." - Voltaire

"Let it not be said that we did nothing." - Dr. Ron Paul. "Stand up for what you believe in, even if you are standing alone." - Sophie Magdalena Scholl
    "War is the health of the State." - Randolph Bourne "Freedom is the answer. ... Now, what's the question?" - Ernie Hancock.

Quote Originally Posted by AZJoe View Post
    That government official deserves a raise. He's a Great representative for his City.
    It's all about taking action and not being lazy. So you do the work, whether it's fitness or whatever. It's about getting up, motivating yourself and just doing it.
    - Kim Kardashian

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by CaptUSA View Post
    Yeah, no kidding! Was that mechanic also on meth?!

*Note to good Samaritans: If you're going to show up government, at least do it right. This just makes government look good.

(I wouldn't be surprised, though, if some contractor awaiting the contract was getting tired of the city dragging their feet. So he hired this "mechanic" and a homeless guy to make a bigger mess to kick the city planners in the ass.)
    It's no red carpet but I'd trust granny over those stairs then this

I think its more of a proof of concept, the 550 dollars is just the cost of materials and not the cost of actually paying a carpenter or contractor to do it. It's kind of like making a website that doesn't crash and saying the obamacare website sucks, yeah its apples and oranges, but its also a concept that basically says that this shouldn't cost 80 grand.

He could be charged with defacing property or something like that. Did he take out a permit and have the stairs inspected? Did he have legal right to erect those stairs?

Quote Originally Posted by AZJoe View Post
    I think we found @Zippyjuan at 1:25
    - Kim Kardashian

Quote Originally Posted by TheTexan View Post
    I think we found @Zippyjuan at 1:25
    Doesn't even look like me.

Could this guy have personal liability if someone gets hurt using the staircase he built?