Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

Thread: LibertyRide - A Grassroots Journ3y

LibertyRide - A Grassroots Journ3y

Here is the journal

YouTube - Ride For Honesty - Statue of Liberty

LF acting weird vids on site, running late, gotta go
    Day 1 Statue of Liberty to Trenton

May 24th, 2009 1 comment Edit

Barely made it and am feeling the miles deep in my bones. It’ll take a week or so to work up a rhythm. Till then the posts may be a bit short and staccato. Am uploading vids as we speak, and due to techical issues I may not get any pics up till tomorrow.
    The day was very tough, but went well. Found some bugs I’ll need to sort out, and am bummed the best take at the SoL seems to not have made it. Ah well, ya puts in yer quarters and takes yer chances. I have a back up, but does not have the passion the later one did. Maybe it’ll be in my phone… I’ll look as I get other issues sorted
    The big news is that the Newark Sheriffs Dept asked me if I want a job, “because they need more people around here discussing these kind of issues”. In fact, I had great responses from all three offices that were staffed on this holiday weekend. One vid I am uploading has “before and after” clips from the inaugural Sheriff canvass. I am just starting to develop my pitch and did not even broach the subject of getting the officers on cam. Almost didn’t get a set to the Union County Office, as I was prowling around looking for an open door (I had been directed by a city cop) I ran into one desk-jockey who wouldn’t even get out of the chair to look at what I had. Didn’t seem like a bad cop, but not a good one either. After realizing he was not going to lift a finger, I moved on, circled the building and found nothing, was about to give up and decided to go around back (where I had found the helpful city cop earlier. Hoping he was still there, I turned the corner to find he had been joined by… a sheriff. This guy was much more pleasant, and after hearing my spiel, said he would personally put the materials on The Sheriff’s Desk. I was stoked that persistence, and dogged determination paid off.
    What made today extra tough was pedaling through an unknown metro-area. Metro areas are nasty places for a long distance ride. I was suprised we got no flats, lots of glass, etc.. to avoid. Navigating in cities is tough as well. Very easy to miss a turn (especially when there are no streets signs) and get into a bad place . We muddled trough it, but one wrong turn put us where few bikes tread, (an elevated expressway) we got off the next exit, but added three miles and it adds up quick. Then there was the parade detour which added a couple more miles to a growing day.
    I asked two cops on the street, separately, for directions, both got handouts One helped to refine my speech with. He was in his car talking to a girl on the street, when I rolled up and politely interrupted for directions, after answering I mentioned what I was doing and handed him some stuff. Then said, “I took an oath to defend the Constitution, not to defend Corporations, Bankers, and Corrupt Politicians. He liked that and I swear I saw that part of his memory light up behind his eyes. “Ya know, you’re right” he said.
    The best was Newark though. The security gal minimally informed and called the Sargent down to take the materials. He came down with a HUGE man and I proceed to pitch. “I’m pedaling that bike out there from the Statue of Liberty to Alcatraz, because that is where I see our country headed, and we all NEED to do something about it.
    I am working on the pitch to slam fascism. What I said today is variations of, “One definition of Fascism is the marriage of corporations and Government. The word scares some people, but if we don’t do something about it, history may just treat us more unfairly than it has the Germans.
    Lots more on the mind, but I need to sleep and the second vid just started to load, Will post picds and vids tomorrow, (G-willing)
    Till then, much aloha…
    Don't let others get you down. Not naysayers, not pretenders, not appeasers, not opportunists; none of em.

What others do pales beside what YOU do.

Press on! - The r3VOLution continues...

"Nothing in this world can take the place of persistence.Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful people with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts. Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent. The slogan 'press on' has solved and always will solve the problems of the human race."

~ C.Coolidge

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    God bless you! May your ride be easy and most of all, may the people open their ears, hearts and minds to the gospel of liberty.
    "Governor, if I had foreseen the use those people
    designed to make of their victory,
    there would have been no surrender at
    Appomattox Courthouse; no sir, not by me.
    Had I foreseen these results of subjugation,
    I would have preferred to die at Appomattox
    with my brave men, my sword in my right hand." - Robert E. Lee to Governor Fletcher S. Stockdale (D-Texas), 1870

What are you going to eat on this trip?

This is going to be interesting.

What I'm curious to see is the reaction to Mike's message in various parts of the country.

I have to say, in Newark NJ of all all places, I am very surprised to see a positive response right off the bat.
    “Civilizations die from suicide, not by murder.” - Arnold Toynbee

Quote Originally Posted by forsmant View Post
    What are you going to eat on this trip?
    I hear chocolate chip cookies, "big" salads, and Fiji water increase cognitive ability over time.

Well Said Michael!
    "One of the great victories of the state, is that the word "Anarchy" terrifies people but, the word "State" does not" - Tom Woods

http://libertyrider.com/day-2-pa-rocks/

[h2]Day 2 - PA Rocks [/h2]
    May 25th, 2009 Goto comments Leave a comment Edit

Ahhhhh… much better today. Glad to have left the eastern seaboard. I love the NYC area, but not for biking through. Anyhoo, this is about PA
    Here is the NJ Statehouse where my ma and bro left for home. As you can see, Tony has passed the second Gadsden off to Liberty Rider #3, Rob Pepe.
    Rob was great to ride with. He is an animal about liberty and had a bunch of signs to plant on the way. He had bought the bike from a garage sale the day before adn was up late last nite painting it. He rode abou 20 miles and then got picked up to set up the BBQ. We got lost a heap of times (parade detours again. The good part of that is being able to get literature to people we ask direction from. Got the basic flyer into the hands of three local LEOs on parade duty and dropped off small stacks at a few convenience stores
    After he left I made my way the rest of the 40 way and was finally joined by LibertyRider #4 *** (I’m going to have to start writing this stuff down - haha) My battery waqs dying and there is only a short QIK clip of him that I will have to find, later.
    I talked to a few people when I stopped for lunch. One guy cringed when I used the term fascism, but later I saw him reading the entire handout and wonder where what was going through his mind. One girl recognized the corpo-gov definition of fascism immediately.
    The big news was the picnic and getting a deep, Hawaiian kine hug from the local Sheriff in Chester County. Some things can be felt, and heart is one of them. The people of Chester County are lucky to have her.
    She throws a mean shaka, as well

I’m very disappointed the QIK cam upload did not make it and will not use that for anything important again.
    She brought a car down for us to use for photos and was accompanied by the Deputy Sheriff Harry (? sorry, need to start writing this stuff down.) who was kind enough to mention that I will always be welcome in Chester County.

The big news, for the ride, was that she was going to email all of the other sheriffs on on my route through PA . The really good thing though, was she was planning on asking Sheriff Mack to come speak in PA… Such is the effect of reaching out with courtesy and respect…
    Just Do It!!!
    There are tons more pics from multiple sources. I was pleasantly surprised that a co-worker from Hawaii, Joe Graziano, had moved to NJ, found out I was on the road yesterday, and came visit today. He is a real photographer. I look forward to seeing the pics.
    I’m sure I am missing a bit of news to report, but have to get some sleep. I felt my rhythm returning today, and should be able to write better in a few days. I again want to thank all of the PA folk who came down and gave me a fantastic welcome, (and a cool sticker)

much aloha, all

(sorry bout the formatting, have. too. sleep.)

nite all
    Last edited by ronpaulhawaii; 07-09-2011 at 01:21 PM.
    Don't let others get you down. Not naysayers, not pretenders, not appeasers, not opportunists; none of em.

"Nothing in this world can take the place of persistence.Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful people with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts. Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent. The slogan 'press on' has solved and always will solve the problems of the human race."

~ C.Coolidge

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Mike, you are such a huge asset to this movement, it's almost ridiculous!

Great job, keep up the awesome Campaign!
    "One of the great victories of the state, is that the word "Anarchy" terrifies people but, the word "State" does not" - Tom Woods

woot for mike.
    you are always welcome in my home.
    rewritten history with armies of their crooks - invented memories, did burn all the books... Mark Knopfler

~ C.Coolidge

thank you RPH, amazing!

Let me know if you plan on passing through Eastern Maryland or Lower Delaware as I would like to meet up with you and give you a great Delmarva welcome.
    "Governor, if I had foreseen the use those people
    designed to make of their victory,
    there would have been no surrender at
    Appomattox Courthouse; no sir, not by me.
    Had I foreseen these results of subjugation,
    I would have preferred to die at Appomattox
    with my brave men, my sword in my right hand." - Robert E. Lee to Governor Fletcher S. Stockdale (D-Texas), 1870

Do you stop at local dive restaurants for dinner? I think I would if I were riding a bike across the USA. Or are the local Ron Paul people feeding you. I am very curious as to what you are eating. I would engage conversation with the locals about Ron Paul at dinner time. Or are you just eating subway or something like it?

I am not mocking, just curious.

You said at http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showpos...1&postcount=86 that you wanted to be able to talk about Dr. Vieira/the militia on Freedom Watch.

I submitted a question in the suggestion forum at http://freedomwatch.uservoice.com/pa...ountry-journey to help you get the chance to talk about Dr. Vieira and Sheriff Mack.

Please vote it up, folks!

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by forsmant View Post
    Do you stop at local dive restaurants for dinner? I think I would if I were riding a bike across the USA. Or are the local Ron Paul people feeding you. I am very curious as to what you are eating. I would engage conversation with the locals about Ron Paul at dinner time. Or are you just eating subway or something like it?

I am not mocking, just curious.
    Just arrived Mechanicsberg, PA. 70 miles in a cold rain. Nasty is a good word for it.

Will blog later, but my favorite crab has asked this question twice and don't want to make him ask 3 times.

Breakfast is coffee, a bread thing, and some fruit.

Lunch is usually a gas station/convenience store where I can usually leave a stack of goodies. Sometimes Subway, but the corpo - joints rarely allow lit drops.

Dinner is whatever is close and inexpensive. I usually engage the motel owners and leave literature with them.

Tonight though, Harrisburg grassroots are taking me out for a bite

cy'all l8r

m

~ C.Coolidge

Awesome !!

I wanna do this on horseback, darn it.
    "Never Miss a Good Chance to Shut up"

Quote Originally Posted by MelissaCato View Post
    Awesome !!

I wanna do this on horseback, darn it.
    Me too! Haha!

Michael, if you hit San Diego, you know where I live. Only this time you're staying in a bedroom, not on the couch! Love you. Stay safe.
    Diversity finds unity in the message of freedom.

Dilige et quod vis fac. ~ Saint Augustine

Quote Originally Posted by phill4paul View Post
    Above all I think everyone needs to understand that neither the Bundys nor Finicum were militia or had prior military training. They were, first and foremost, Ranchers who had about all the shit they could take.
    Quote Originally Posted by HOLLYWOOD View Post
    If anything, this situation has proved the government is nothing but a dictatorship backed by deadly force... no different than the dictatorships in the banana republics, just more polished and cleverly propagandized.
    "I'll believe in good cops when they start turning bad cops in."

Quote Originally Posted by tod evans View Post
    In a free society there will be bigotry, and racism, and sexism and religious disputes and, and, and.......
    I don't want to live in a cookie cutter, federally mandated society.
    Give me messy freedom every time!

Take a well deserved break. The weather here was NASTY today. Should be warmer tomorrow, but more rain. Sorry.
    "Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one."
    —Charles Mackay

"god i fucking wanna rip his balls off and offer them to the gods"
    -Anonymous

[h2]Lancaster PA[/h2]
    May 26th, 2009

70 miles in a cold rain today. But Harrisburg/Mechanicsberg folk definitely know how to make a man comfortable. Many mahalos to Tim Shoemaker for getting me a room with a Jacuzzi. Many mahalos to Don and Monique Shoemaker for treating me to an awesome dinner. Many mahalos to Seth Shoemaker (are you seeing a pattern here - haha) for coming down to say hi and get on the vid I will soon be mixing. Tim deserves special mention for being the first to get on board the grassroots team we have built. We all know how no-one likes to be first, and Tim filling that crucial slot was key

Again for Scott Davis who did a lot of work getting me here and helping me navigate Harrisberg, and finally, Sandra who came down and brought me more of the PA handouts she designed and had printed at her company.

The rain is not conducive to canvassing so got maybe a dozen handouts out. But, one thing we did get, thanks to Lisa from Lancaster, was our first TV interview. I rarely feel comfortable with my performance, hopefully it came out good…

The best part of the ride was being led by Lisa through a tricky navigation. There is nothing like live GPS (Grassroots Positioning System) even better when it is a cute bubbly hardcore r3VOLutionary.

I’d write more, but have been getting about 4 hours sllep for the last month and I only have 45 miles tomorrow, so I am going to take advantage of the bed Tim got me. I’ll try to get the vid from today up tomorrow am. For now enjoy this from our friend in Philly, Rob Pepe

YouTube - Liberty Rider - Michael Maresco "Ride for Honesty" Memorial Day 2009

PS - Tune into Freedom Watch every week, regardless of the fact that they are going to report on the trip for the rest of the journey and I will be on between 2:30 and 3
    onward and forward
    Last edited by ronpaulhawaii; 05-26-2009 at 10:08 PM.

~ C.Coolidge

YouTube - Liberty Rider Mike Marasco May 26 2009

will blog tomorrow...

ZZzzzzzzZZZZZZzzzzzzZZZZz

~ C.Coolidge

[h2]The First Mountain Was A Doozy[/h2]
    May 28th, 2009
    Timmonds Mountain… I was warned… The locals shook their heads seeing the book-mobile I was pulling. That was a bit intimidating, but, if life was easy it would be boring, and like our r3VOLution, we can’t let seemingly insurmountable obstacles stop us from moving forward. We can’t let people scare us off our task because they can’t imagine themselves doing something extraordinary. We must move forward, boldly. They may slow us down, they may beat the hell out of us, but winners never quit and just keep eyes on the goal and noses to the grindstone.

It. Was. Brutal. I ain’t kidding, at all. Look at this map, and notice that I climbed over 1000 ft in less than 3 miles

Now, consider that I was in a fog, on a road that often had no room for a shoulder…

I started out strong, the pedal-elec system helps, but certainly cannot pull the load I am carrying. In fact, even pedaling as hard as I could, the brains began to overheat about halfway up. What happens when it overheats is it shuts off, and I am left to make that next section, to the safety of a shoulder, on my own. By the time I got to the top I was going 50ft, resting and letting the brains cool, repeatedly…

A local had told me the road splits into a truck route near the top, and I could take the truck route because the road down is very steep. He said it would mean about 10 more miles and a few more hills but would save my brakes. By the time I got to the fork, I wanted no part of 10 more miles a a few more hills, so decided to buy a new set of brakes if I had to and just get the hell off this mountain.

Big Mistake. I wasn’t even close to the top…

But, perseverance and determination are the qualities of those who get things done, and I was blessed to be born with both. I finally made it to unmistakable top and was incredibly thankful to see the fog was not as bad on the other side. So after a short rest to catch my breath, I had quite the exhilarating ride down the mountain and was safely back into civilization.

By this time most of the locals had heard about, “some guy on a bike pulling a trailer over the Timmonds” so had quite an easy time of getting them to listen why. I slowly made my way to this nice $40 motel seeding a message of liberty all along the way. I stopped at an Ice Cream Stand and got a cone to celebrate. A man walked up and asked about my bike, I gave him my spiel and the next thing I knew I had a dinner of home cooked, farm raised, (and delicious) chicken cassarole and fresh salad. I was famished, and it was heavenly. We talked as I ate. The wife had liked Huckabee, and Paul, but “didn’t want to waste her vote.” We had a nice talk about voting your conscience and how the whole “waste your vote” thing is a farce. Voting for the lessor of two evils, is still evil…

The rest of ride was fairly uneventful, it hardly rained so I was able to seed the route better. That always make me feel good. Convenience stores are pretty good about letting me leave stacks on their shelves. I encourage people to take “sunday drives” with lit and stop for a little something at these stores and ask. You turn one good mind in a small town, and you can turn an entire town.

I had my first flat as well. Here is the culprit, the nemesis of a man on a bike…

The culprit

It is a shard of the steel belting from a blown tire and will go through any tire…, no biggie though. I had ~70 flats on the last trip, hopefully I have better luck this time, but, such things happen and we just deal with them. I’m just glad it was just drizzling…

Now, for the reason I am still in Fannettsburg. On the mountain, when I changed a battery, I failed to secure the trailer properly and the chargers dropped out somewhere. Luckily, there are decent folk in these parts and I easily found someone who would not take my money to go drive over the mountain and look. We had no success (foggy night…) , but it was very heartening to have people go out of their way to help a stranger. So rather than power over another mountain with no assistance, I decided to get the spare charger sent from home. Even better, my brother, who loves road trips, decided to deliver it in person and he will be here in a few minutes

So, it was stupid mistake on my part, but I figure whatever happens is for the best. I just take it in stride and continue on. Perhaps it was best because some wicked storms have come through today and I would have been in the mountains for that, as well.

While I would have loved to have spun this story so as to relieve my embarrassment, this is the Ride for Honesty -

~ C.Coolidge

I love reading your updates Michael, and seeing you on Freedom Watch was a trip

I just threw down another $17.76, for a new tire

28. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    You rock. I think that goes without saying.

Stay safe out there!

~ C.Coolidge

Quote Originally Posted by ronpaulhawaii View Post
    Much more fun to recharge the battery! Once you get to me you've conquered the last mountain for some seven or eight hundred miles. Bad news is then comes the Rockies. With all due respect to you Easterners, the Rockies make both the Ozarks and the Alleghenies look like speed bumps.
    Quote Originally Posted by Swordsmyth View Post
    You only want the freedoms that will undermine the nation and lead to the destruction of liberty.

[h2]Mountains Must Be Crossed[/h2]
    May 30th, 2009

3rd day in the Alleghenies. There is one more major ridgeline in my path, then it will just be hills. Beautiful countryside, tough pedaling.

What makes this country great though, is the people. I talked to quite a few yesterday, despite what you may see in the media (including New Media), people are more aware of the rising police state and the fraudulence of the “establishment” than many people give them credit for. People were very appreciative of the info I brought,(especially the PArevolution handout). When I get around to explaining creeping fascism, they are not afraid to look at it for what it is. Basically, the country folk I am meeting give me hope for America. Again, I encourage people to get in their cars and take “sunday drives”, looking for people in their yards, on the road, etc. and just give them some info. Most of these folk are just not aware that there are others who share their concerns. It is our job to let them know and give them an opportunity to help…

The ride yesterday was not easy. I am going to go ahead and spend the $400 on a real bicycle Computer/GPS. I am very tired of missing turns and having to find a signal so I can unpack the trailer, get the computer out, re-route, repack the trailer, etc… I added about 10 miles to the day yesterday, because of no street signs… I am real thankful to the farmer I met who helped me out and gave me a route over the last ridge of the day.

A friend on LibertyForest.com mentioned how the Rockies make the Alleghenies look like speed biumps. I want to clear something up about that. The eastern mountain roads were built before the days of heavy equipment, while the size of the mountains are not as high, the roads are much more steep and winding, In the Rockies I can ride on interstates, the grades are low and the routes as direct as possible. IOW, give me the Rockies any day. The Alleghenies are the hardest I have encountered, including the last trip, over Texas Canyon, through Texas Hill Country, etc.

Finally, I want to talk about the book drops. If you have read the site, you would Know that it was never my intention to pedal from sheriff office to sheriff office. I did that in Jersey because the Jersy people were not materializing and the offices I went to were pretty much on my route, but there is no way I will personally be able to deliver tyhese books. The intent was always to have a local supporter meet me on the road, take the books and deliver them themselves. This is much better as the whole idea was to increase communication locally, this ride just gives the local supporters a good excuse to go and introduce themselves. This goes for the Governors as well, If local supporters do not help arrange a meeting, or agree to deliver them during office hours, I have no choice but to pedal on.

The long and the short of it is this ride is not about me. It is an event for us all, and will be what we all make of it. I have more on my plate than most of you can possibly imagine. Any help increasing the success of this trip will be rewarding in many ways. Regardless of such assistance, I will make the best of the hand I have, but need the help of the grassroots to maximize the effect of this effort.

And with that, I will be packing up and getting on the road. I just have one more major ridgeline to cross and that is only a few miles away. See y’all on the other side

pedal pedal

PS- Firefox has just crashed 4xs trying to add photos, will try again l8r…

~ C.Coolidge

Was a bit slow to uptake but first post made it for the weekend edition of Freedoms Phoenix. We have Stu in Flagstaff signed up to help and Ed and I have discussed support options for you when you come through AZ. We'll get it together by the time you are here

Quote Originally Posted by Oyate View Post
    Was a bit slow to uptake but first post made it for the weekend edition of Freedoms Phoenix. We have Stu in Flagstaff signed up to help and Ed and I have discussed support options for you when you come through AZ. We'll get it together by the time you are here
    Thanks Trevor

http://libertyrider.com/day-7-high-p...-high-spirits/

[h2]Day 7 High Peaks, and High Spirits[/h2]
    May 31st, 2009

Yesterday was quite the day. Two big peaks to cross, the first was the biggest, the second the highest (and I was already at elevation). I am getting stronger, able to avoid the crawler gear for the lower grade climbs. I am still taking rests on the steeps, but not the 50ft intervals of Timmonds Mt.

It was a beautiful sunny day. I was able to talk to plenty of folk and get out the lit. Left stacks in a few stores, mostly talking to farmers and people out working in the yards. I have found that I am targeting differently than on the RP ride. Where-as last time I was more looking for voters and seeking out the elderly, this time I am more looking for activists and seeking out the younger folk. Most readily agree with my assessment and are very thankful I stopped by. Hopefully it turns into people contacting the PA folk and getting aboard the r3VOLution. I emphasize that need for action, hopefully, it works…

While getting over them dang peaks was a bit of a… high point (haha) what really got my spirits up was accomplishing the primary mission of getting books to Sheriffs. I pedaled into Somerset and was disappointed to find the office closed, but that did not deter me from making a second effort and I found the Jail where I convinced the LT in charge to come out hear my spiel. He was really impressed with the bike and I’m sure that helped as I went into the reason for the visit. Again, I found a person who agrees with the facts I present. Especially about the fact that we are being lied to. He agreed to see that the books get to the Sheriff Monday, and I am kinda stoked that they will be looking them over in the Jail Control Room till then…

Another thing to note is that I went through Shanksville where flight 93 crashed and set in motion the War on Terror that the fascists are using to instigate their police state. I could not help myself and had to hand out fliers to a family that was at the Memorial Chapel…

The final event of the day was the last 10 miles. I got to my target town, and the only motel was a Days Inn. I usually avoid the big chains so asked a semi local on a Harley about motels further down the road. He told me there would be more here in Mt Pleasant and it was pretty much a downhill run. Both of those statements turned out to be false, while there was a large downhill, there were also some steep uphills that are killers at the end of a day. Worse, there is only one motel here, a Holiday Inn (corpo-yuck) that is three miles off route down a large hill. As it was getting late I had no choice but to bite the bullet. There is a sliver lining though. I finagled a discount, a free dinner, and it comes with a free breakfast, but more importantly, with free internet I was finally able to use my phone while online and spent an hour on the phone with tech support and may have dialed the phone in to avoid having to buy the $400 GPS unit. While the GPS would be very handy and helpful for knowing distance and speed, etc… That is not as critical as knowing where I am and being able to map out without dragging out the computer. So we will see how this works…

Finally, I thought you all might like seeing the elevation charts comparing yesterdays’ mountain climb, to todays’ multi hill climbs, but for some reason FireFox keeps crashing if I try to insert photos, (grrrrrrrr…) Till I work that out, the album is here (LF folks dont have that problem )

Yesterday

Today

http://www.facebook.com/album.php?ai...3&id=663957952

pedal pedal

with many mahalos to those who have joined the ride in support

~ C.Coolidge

Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast