Thread: Do you speak or understand more than one language and use it at home?

Supporting Member
    North Korea

Blog Entries

Do you speak or understand more than one language and use it at home?

I have a relatively basic understanding of my native language but I can't speak it.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tulu_language
    I also have a basic understanding of Quebec French but I never took any courses after 8th Grade.

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    I have studied Spanish, French, and Mandarin Chinese. I can understand some, but speak very little. Not at home, though, because I would just be talking to myself. Husband has not studied other languages.
    #NashvilleStrong

“I’m a doctor. That’s a baby.”~~~Dr. Manny Sethi

I learned a fair amount of sign language while teaching it to my kid starting when he was a toddler. Its cool cuz I can now "talk" to my kid across a big room, from a playing field, swimming pool, I a quiet setting or anywhere where verbal speech is not convenient.

I only know english. Not sure if programming languages count as languages since we dont exactly talk to each other in Javascript...

Personally, I refuse to learn to speak spanish because of the outright insistence that I as an American need to learn the language of an invading country. If I had any intention of going to Mexico or another spanish speaking country, then I believe I would be the one that needed to learn spanish, but when they come here, shouldnt they learn our language?
    1776 > 1984

The FAILURE of the United States Government to operate and maintain an
    Honest Money System , which frees the ordinary man from the clutches of the money manipulators, is the single largest contributing factor to the World's current Economic Crisis.

The Elimination of Privacy is the Architecture of Genocide

Belief, Money, and Violence are the three ways all people are controlled

Quote Originally Posted by Zippyjuan View Post
    Our central bank is not privately owned.

No oprima el dos.
    Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Ryan
    In Washington you can see them everywhere: the Parasites and baby Stalins sucking the life out of a once-great nation.

I speak fluent cat.
    Liberty is lost through complacency and a subservient mindset. When we accept or even welcome automobile checkpoints, random searches, mandatory identification cards, and paramilitary police in our streets, we have lost a vital part of our American heritage. America was born of protest, revolution, and mistrust of government. Subservient societies neither maintain nor deserve freedom for long.
    Ron Paul 2004

Registered Ron Paul supporter # 2202
    It's all about Freedom

1st Language is English
    I'm fluent in Spanish
    I'm conversant in American Sign Language (meaning I know the alphabet and some key words and phrases so I could painstakingly get through a conversation in ASL if need be)
    There are only two things we should fight for. One is the defense of our homes and the other is the Bill of Rights. War for any other reason is simply a racket.
    -Major General Smedley Butler, USMC,
    Two-Time Congressional Medal of Honor Winner
    Author of, War is a Racket!

It is not that I am mad, it is only that my head is different from yours.
    - Diogenes of Sinope

I speak American
    It's all about taking action and not being lazy. So you do the work, whether it's fitness or whatever. It's about getting up, motivating yourself and just doing it.
    - Kim Kardashian

Donald Trump / Crenshaw 2024!!!!

My pronouns are he/him/his

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by TheTexan View Post
    I speak American
    You may speak Murrican but you cain't spell.
    Quote Originally Posted by Swordsmyth View Post
    We believe our lying eyes...

loveshiscountry

Only one language is spoken at my house. That's American and they can't take that away.

Yes and No.

Quote Originally Posted by Lamp View Post
    Do you speak or understand more than one language and use it at home?
    Absolutely NOT!

Hell, I'm still workin' on English....

I like to speak Indian when Danke is around so he wanders what I am plotting . I do not speak Sanskrit though .

I speak and understand Spanish, but I'm not fluent. I want to be, because I live in Mexico. Unfortunately, my Mexican roommate (who is not here right now, she's out of the country for a couple months) really wants to learn English, so at home her rule is we have to speak English only. Sometimes she'll forget and speak Spanish, which is good for me, since I want to practice my Spanish.

Other than that...HTML and CSS, if those count.
    “I have no doubt that it is a part of the destiny of the human race, in its gradual improvement, to leave off eating animals, as surely as the savage tribes have left off eating each other.”

― Henry David Thoreau

Quote Originally Posted by Lamp View Post
    I have a relatively basic understanding of my native language but I can't speak it.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tulu_language
    I also have a basic understanding of Quebec French but I never took any courses after 8th Grade.
    I took French , German , Spanish and English in the 8th and 9th grade and then just English 10th , 11th & 12th grade . Twelth grade english was a breeze but the rest sucked .

I took French in high school and college Spanish but only fluent in English. A little Spanglish.

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by oyarde View Post
    I like to speak Indian when Danke is around so he wanders what I am plotting . I do not speak Sanskrit though .
    And I would know you are just pretending. Since being partially civilized, you Injuns forgot your native tongue a long time ago.
    Last edited by Danke; 09-14-2017 at 12:52 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Danke View Post
    And I would know you are just pretending. Since being partially civilized, you Injuns forgot your native tongue a long time ago.
    Chokma ishatta'shki!

Yah nuwa - tu .

Quote Originally Posted by oyarde View Post
    Yah nuwa - tu .
    Quote Originally Posted by Carlybee View Post
    Chokma ishatta'shki!
    Speaking Klingon is fun too.
    Pfizer Macht Frei!

Openly Straight Man, Danke, Awarded Top Rated Influencer. Community Standards Enforcer.

Quiz: Test Your "Income" Tax IQ!

Short Income Tax Video

The Income Tax Is An Excise, And Excise Taxes Are Privilege Taxes

The Federalist Papers, No. 15:

Except as to the rule of appointment, the United States have an indefinite discretion to make requisitions for men and money; but they have no authority to raise either by regulations extending to the individual citizens of America.

I consider my Russian basic, but I was always placed in "advanced" classes when I took it formally. I'm in the process of putting together a blog where I translate Russian current events articles into English, matter of fact.

I know a smattering of German from college and enough Italian to read music scores. I had to learn some Japanese words to study kobudo and iaito, but that's not the same as learning the language. I know some Arabic and Greek hymns. Hopefully someday another liturgical language class will open up so I can try formal Arabic study.
    Last edited by heavenlyboy34; 09-14-2017 at 01:53 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Torchbearer
    what works can never be discussed online. there is only one language the government understands, and until the people start speaking it by the magazine full... things will remain the same.
    Hear/buy my music here "government is the enemy of liberty"-RP Support me on Patreon here Ephesians 6:12

Quote Originally Posted by DamianTV View Post
    I only know english. Not sure if programming languages count as languages since we dont exactly talk to each other in Javascript...

Personally, I refuse to learn to speak spanish because of the outright insistence that I as an American need to learn the language of an invading country.
    If I had any intention of going to Mexico or another spanish speaking country, then I believe I would be the one that needed to learn spanish, but when they come here, shouldnt they learn our language?
    More than one country's people are predominantly Spanish-speakers, tho(a lot moar)...
    Quote Originally Posted by Torchbearer
    what works can never be discussed online. there is only one language the government understands, and until the people start speaking it by the magazine full... things will remain the same.
    Hear/buy my music here "government is the enemy of liberty"-RP Support me on Patreon here Ephesians 6:12

Speaking Klingon is fun too.
    Latyehtu ksa Danke awa lhalek Thuwakwa - na yetse - na .

نعم
    Pinochet is the model
    Liberty preserving authoritarianism.
    Enforced internal open borders was one of the worst elements of the Constitution.

28. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by heavenlyboy34 View Post
    More than one country's people are predominantly Spanish-speakers, tho(a lot moar)...
    Thats fine. Neither my country or my house. I dont really care if people can speak spanish, but when doing business in the US, what I do care is people can speak english. If I went to Russia, I think they would have just as much of a legitimate call for me to speak russian as much as possible while I was there. That is only fair, right? Same goes with spanish...
    1776 > 1984

The FAILURE of the United States Government to operate and maintain an
    Honest Money System , which frees the ordinary man from the clutches of the money manipulators, is the single largest contributing factor to the World's current Economic Crisis.

The Elimination of Privacy is the Architecture of Genocide

Belief, Money, and Violence are the three ways all people are controlled

Quote Originally Posted by Zippyjuan View Post
    Our central bank is not privately owned.

Norwegian, Hungarian, Russian, German, and English.

I use none of them anymore... especially English.
    freedomisobvious.blogspot.com

There is only one correct way: freedom. All other solutions are non-solutions.

It appears that artificial intelligence is at least slightly superior to natural stupidity.

Our words make us the ghosts that we are.

Convincing the world he didn't exist was the Devil's second greatest trick; the first was convincing us that God didn't exist.

Spanish- some German and French.
    There is no spoon.