Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: CNN Poll - Biden leading Trump by almost 20 points

Exclamation CNN Poll - Biden leading Trump by almost 20 points

CNN Poll: Biden expands lead over Trump after contentious debate and President’s Covid diagnosis

https://ktvz.com/politics/2020/10/06...vid-diagnosis/

Joe Biden’s advantage over President Donald Trump has expanded and the former vice president now holds his widest lead of the cycle with less than a month remaining before Election Day, according to a new nationwide CNN Poll conducted by SSRS.

Among likely voters, 57% say they back Biden and 41% Trump in the poll that was conducted entirely after the first debate and mostly after the President’s coronavirus infection was made public.

Regardless of Biden’s national lead, the race for the White House will ultimately come down to a handful of swing states that will drive the outcome in the Electoral College. The former vice president leads in several of those critical battlegrounds, but by more narrow margins than his national advantage. A poll is not a prediction of how the election will ultimately turn out but instead is a snapshot of the race as it currently stands.

Likely voters broadly prefer Biden over Trump on a number of issues that voters consider critically important in the race, including the coronavirus outbreak (59% prefer Biden, 38% Trump), health care (59% to 39%), racial inequality in America (62% to 36%), nominations to the Supreme Court (57% to 41%) and crime and safety (55% to 43%). The two are about even over who would better handle the economy (50% say Biden, 48% Trump), similar to where they have been among registered voters in recent polling.

Biden’s favorability ratings have also improved, with 52% of Americans now saying they have a positive impression of the former vice president, compared with 39% who have a positive view of Trump.

Likely voters are more apt to consider Biden the candidate who would unite the country (61% Biden to 33% Trump), who is honest and trustworthy (58% Biden to 33% Trump), who cares about people like you (58% Biden to 38% Trump), who has a clear plan to solve the nation’s problems (55% to 39%) and who would keep Americans safe from harm (55% to 43%).

Although this is the first national CNN survey to report results among likely voters, a comparison of results among registered voters now to those from a survey about a month ago reveals Biden has made substantial gains in support among several key voting blocs.

Biden has expanded his edge over Trump among women, from 57% to 37% in September to 66% to 32% now. That shift includes substantial gains for Biden among white women with college degrees and women of color. Among people of color generally, Biden’s advantage has increased from 59% to 31% in September to 69% to 27% now. The former vice president has also made gains among younger voters, moderates and independents over the last month.

It is important to note that these increases in support for Biden have not come alongside substantial decreases in backing for Trump. The President’s core supporters remain as supportive of him as they have been, if not more. Among white men without college degrees, for example, Trump’s support has increased from 61% in September to 67% now. But Trump does not appear to have made any gains among the groups his campaign needs to attract in order to dent Biden’s longstanding lead.

Compared with the last national CNN poll, the partisan composition of this poll is only slightly more Democratic (33% of all adults say they are Democrats now, compared with 30% in early September) and no less Republican (28% GOP now vs. 27% in early September). Among registered voters in the poll, 35% consider themselves Democrats, 30% Republican, those figures were 33% and 30% respectively in the previous CNN poll. When independents who lean toward one party or the other are added in, the results also show little movement, 53% of registered voters now are Democrats or lean that way, 43% are Republicans or lean that way. In last month’s poll, those figures were 52% Democratic to 42% Republican.

The shifts in this poll are similar to those seen in an NBC News/Wall Street Journal poll released Sunday, which was conducted after the presidential debate but before the President’s diagnosis of coronavirus was revealed.

The poll suggests the debate itself may have helped to boost Biden. Those voters who say they watched last week’s debate largely see Biden as having done the best job (57%), with only 26% saying Trump did best, similar to the divide in a CNN Instant Poll of voters on the night of the debate. Still, 14% report that neither did well.

Most voters in the poll (64%) say that Trump has not done enough to denounce white supremacist groups, after being asked to do so at the debate and instead saying that the Proud Boys should “stand back and stand by.” Among people of color, 76% say Trump hasn’t done enough to denounce such groups.

The issues that matter most to voters continue to vary dramatically with a voter’s presidential preference. Trump’s backers are far more likely than Biden supporters to say crime and safety (51% extremely important among Trump supporters vs. 33% among Biden supporters) and the economy (48% among Trump supporters, 36% among Biden supporters) are top concerns in their vote.

Among Biden’s supporters, 66% call coronavirus extremely important to their vote vs. 21% among Trump backers, 63% say race relations are important vs. 16% of Trump voters, 58% consider health care extremely important vs. 25% of Trump supporters and 51% say climate change is extremely important compared with just 5% of Trump supporters.

One point of agreement emerges, though: About half of both Biden (53%) and Trump (48%) supporters call Supreme Court nominations extremely important.

The survey finds that among likely voters, a small majority, 54% say they intend to cast their ballots on Election Day, 30% plan to cast ballots by mail and 14% say they will vote early in-person. Biden supporters continue to be far more likely than Trump supporters to say they will vote before Election Day, including 41% who plan to vote by mail and 19% who say they will vote early. Among Trump’s backers, though, 76% say they will vote in-person on Election Day.

Six in 10 Americans say they are confident that votes will be cast and counted accurately in the presidential election, up slightly since August. Registered voters who support Biden are becoming increasingly confident that votes in the country will be cast and counted accurately (75% now vs. 65% in August), while the share of Trump supporters who feel that way has softened some (from 50% to 44%).

Although nearly all Americans agree (86%) that the loser of the presidential race has an obligation to concede once the results are certified, Trump supporters are slightly less likely to say that than they were in August (78% now vs. 83% in August, it was 94% among Biden supporters in both polls). Most say they don’t expect Trump to accept the results and concede (58%), while 71% say Biden would. Most of Trump’s supporters, though, say that they do believe the President would concede (63%).

The CNN Poll was conducted by SSRS October 1 through 4 among a random national sample of 1,205 adults reached on landlines or cellphones by a live interviewer, including 1,001 likely voters. Results for the full sample have a margin of sampling error of plus or minus 3.3 percentage points, it is plus or minus 3.6 points for results among likely voters.
    “Civilizations die from suicide, not by murder.” - Arnold Toynbee

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    I know of only a few people who are voting for Biden, and exactly zero who are excited about it. Need to see the cross tabs of all these new polls coming out this week. Something seems awfully fishy here.

Never attempt to teach a pig to sing; it wastes your time and annoys the pig.

Robert Heinlein

Give a man an inch and right away he thinks he's a ruler

Groucho Marx

I love mankind…it’s people I can’t stand.

Linus, from the Peanuts comic

You cannot have liberty without morality and morality without faith

Alexis de Torqueville

Those who fail to learn from the past are condemned to repeat it.
    Those who learn from the past are condemned to watch everybody else repeat it

A Zero Hedge comment

Quote Originally Posted by fcreature View Post
    I know of only a few people who are voting for Biden, and exactly zero who are excited about it. Need to see the cross tabs of all these new polls coming out this week. Something seems awfully fishy here.
    Here in NH the lines of demarcation are pretty well marked out.

Working class nieghborhoods, rural people, farms, small businesses...Trump signs mostly.

Lily white enclaves of rich pricks, mostly from away, lakeshore properties worth millions, gated communities and expensive in-town homes...Biden and BLM signs.

Which is really funny considering that if a houseful of Chicago South Side or NOLA 9th Ward blacks were to move in next door, these people would freak the $#@! out.

If the election is held today, he probably loses by 8 or 9 percent and 100 electoral votes. He needs to have some hail mary completed the last few weeks. I would be extremely happy if Repubs somehow hold the Senate.

2016 was a major fluke where he narrowly won with very slim margins in the Big Ten states. His reelection always seemed unlikely but things are headed for a tidal wave if he doesn't do something major. He is letting Biden run out the clock and win by default.

2020 has been nothing but a raging dumpster fire - and the outcome of the election (whatever it is) is just going to throw gas on it.

I have no idea what's going to happen, and I'm not "rooting" for any particular outcome.

At this point, the only thing one can do is stock up on popcorn and/or ammo ...

Quote Originally Posted by Anti Federalist View Post
    CNN Poll: Biden expands lead over Trump after contentious debate and President’s Covid diagnosis

Joe Biden’s advantage over President Donald Trump has expanded and the former vice president now holds his widest lead of the cycle with less than a month remaining before Election Day, according to a new nationwide CNN Poll conducted by SSRS.

Among likely voters, 57% say they back Biden and 41% Trump in the poll that was conducted entirely after the first debate and mostly after the President’s coronavirus infection was made public.

[...]
    https://twitter.com/Barnes_Law/statu...16950937804807
    Last edited by Occam's Banana; 10-06-2020 at 08:16 PM.
    The Bastiat Collection · FREE PDF · FREE EPUB · PAPER
    Frédéric Bastiat (1801-1850)

• "When law and morality are in contradiction to each other, the citizen finds himself in the cruel alternative of either losing his moral sense, or of losing his respect for the law."
      -- The Law (p. 54)
    • "Government is that great fiction, through which everybody endeavors to live at the expense of everybody else."
      -- Government (p. 99)
    • "[W]ar is always begun in the interest of the few, and at the expense of the many."
      -- Economic Sophisms - Second Series (p. 312)
    • "There are two principles that can never be reconciled - Liberty and Constraint."
      -- Harmonies of Political Economy - Book One (p. 447)

· tu ne cede malis sed contra audentior ito ·

Quote Originally Posted by Occam's Banana View Post
    2020 has been nothing but a raging dumpster fire - and the outcome of the election (whatever it is) is just going to throw gas on it.

I have no idea what's going to happen, and I'm not "rooting" for any particular outcome.

At this point, the only thing one can do is stock up on popcorn and/or ammo ...
    I've made my points clear why I'm voting Trump this time, but this is also evolving into a referendum election on Marxist authoritarianism vs. what's left of a free society.

It's going to be interesting to see, but I pretty much know how this is going to end up, since we all know how unpopular freedom is.

Quote Originally Posted by Krugminator2 View Post
    If the election is held today, he probably loses by 8 or 9 percent and 100 electoral votes. He needs to have some hail mary completed the last few weeks. I would be extremely happy if Repubs somehow hold the Senate.

2016 was a major fluke where he narrowly won with very slim margins in the Big Ten states. His reelection always seemed unlikely but things are headed for a tidal wave if he doesn't do something major. He is letting Biden run out the clock and win by default.
    Senate? Yeah, I doubt that as well.

I'm of the mindset the Rubicon has been crossed...it's now just about impossible for a GOP candidate to win the presidency.

The following states are pretty much a blue "lock" for now and the foreseeable future HI - CA - OR - WA - MN - IL - VA - DC - MD - DE - NJ - NY - CT - RI - MA - VT - ME

These are states that will vote for a can of Spam as long as it had a D before it's name.

That's 17 states and 205 EC votes before you even start.

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    I've made my points clear why I'm voting Trump this time, but this is also evolving into a referendum election on Marxist authoritarianism vs. what's left of a free society.
    Though I'm not doing it myself, I won't blame anyone for supporting Trump, given how recklessly deranged and rabidly poisonous the left has become [1].

It's going to be interesting to see, but I pretty much know how this is going to end up, since we all know how unpopular freedom is.
    Mass popular democracy (especially in a country of a third of a billion people) was never going to lead to anything but a steaming hot mess - and the raging dumpster fire in which we presently find ourselves engulfed is symptomatic of this.

The "system" is broken beyond any possibility of restoration or repair, and there ain't nothing gonna "fix" it - except yet more outright authoritarianism (whether of the right-fascist or left-Marxist variety), or secession, separation and radical decentralization. I'm hoping for more of the latter and less of the former, but we'll see ...

[1] Both the "establishment" left and the "extreme" left.

Working class nieghborhoods, rural people, farms, small businesses...Trump signs mostly.

Lily white enclaves of rich pricks, mostly from away, lakeshore properties worth millions, gated communities and expensive in-town homes...Biden and BLM signs.

Which is really funny considering that if a houseful of Chicago South Side or NOLA 9th Ward blacks were to move in next door, these people would freak the $#@! out.
    Maine is about the same just substitute ocean for lake.

I'm of the mindset the Rubicon has been crossed...it's now just about impossible for a GOP candidate to win the presidency.

The following states are pretty much a blue "lock" for now and the foreseeable future HI - CA - OR - WA - MN - IL - VA - DC - MD - DE - NJ - NY - CT - RI - MA - VT - ME

These are states that will vote for a can of Spam as long as it had a D before it's name.

Maine will probably split the EC votes again. CD1 and CD2 are very different places.

Joke of a CNN poll.

The source doesn't even bother to state the breakdown of party affiliation sampling.

In order to achieve +16 for biden, they were polling at least +10-14 democrats when the 2016 turnout between republicans and democrats was much much smaller.

Most MSM pollsters are also assuming that democrat turnout is going to be at record levels and thats how they justify oversampling democrats by so much. They also did the exact same thing in 2016 and were way off.
    THE SQUAD of RPF
    1. enhanced_deficit - Paid Troll / John Bolton book promoter
    2. Devil21 - LARPing Wizard, fake magical script reader
    3. Firestarter - Tax Troll; anti-tax = "criminal behavior"
    4. TheCount - Comet Pizza Pedo Denier <-- sick

@Ehanced_Deficit's real agenda on RPF =troll:

Who spends this much time copy/pasting the same recycled links, photos/talking points.

7 yrs/25k posts later RPF'ers still respond to this troll

Hillary won, in the polls, too!
    FJB

Quote Originally Posted by 69360 View Post
    Maine is about the same just substitute ocean for lake.
    I just took a ride through southern and central Maine to my buddies home in Friendship from my place in NH.

It was like you flipped a switch, west of 95 and east of 95, Trump to Biden.

Though I'm not doing it myself, I won't blame anyone for supporting Trump, given how recklessly deranged and rabidly poisonous the left has become [1].

Mass popular democracy (especially in a country of a third of a billion people) was never going to lead to anything but a steaming hot mess - and the raging dumpster fire in which we presently find ourselves engulfed is symptomatic of this.

The "system" is broken beyond any possibility of restoration or repair, and there ain't nothing gonna "fix" it - except yet more outright authoritarianism (whether of the right-fascist or left-Marxist variety), or secession, separation and radical decentralization. I'm hoping for more of the latter and less of the former, but we'll see ...

[1] Both the "establishment" left and the "extreme" left.
    My purpose in so doing is not because I think anything will appreciably change, that long term changes in policy and role of government will emerge as majority opinions...I agree completely that the whole mess is broken beyond repair.

I'm just trying to buy some time, in the, most likely vain, hope that the "right", which I now use as the term to encompass everybody from ana-caps to neo-cons, will find its balls and stir its stumps to at least try and save itself and fight back.

Because Christ knows, if the lunatic left seizes uni-party control of the FedGov along with full control of the street mobs of Bolshies and Jacobins along with total control of all media organs, along with full control of all entertainment organs and along with full control of academia, then based on the current tepid, floundering, pointless and weak kneed responses from the right that I have seen so far, we all have a date with a guillotine's blade.
    Last edited by Anti Federalist; 10-06-2020 at 10:21 PM.

I just took a ride through southern and central Maine to my buddies home in Friendship from my place in NH.

It was like you flipped a switch, west of 95 and east of 95, Trump to Biden.
    I'm few miles from the ocean in CD2. Heavy Trump signs everywhere on some roads almost every house. A couple Biden in town. I can't see any way Trump loses up here and the Trump turnout could flip the house seat back to the Republicans.

I have no horse in this race, I don't care who wins.

Trump got an F in that debate.

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mach View Post
    She did and they were predicting similar margins of victory.

Quote Originally Posted by vita3 View Post
    Like people have already said, he should of just let Biden talk as much as possible, it's funny, Trump has a certain kind of street in him, where he just goes with instinct, but does it so much it sometimes comes back around and bites him in the ass, but if he was never like that he probably would have never got this far in the first place.
    FJB

My purpose in so doing is not because I think anything will appreciably change, that long term changes in policy and role of government will emerge as majority opinions...I agree completely that the whole mess is broken beyond repair.

I'm just trying to buy some time, in the, most likely vain, hope that the "right", which I now use as the term to encompass everybody from ana-caps to neo-cons, will find its balls and stir its stumps to at least try and save itself and fight back.

Because Christ knows, if the lunatic left seizes uni-party control of the FedGov along with full control of the street mobs of Bolshies and Jacobins along with total control of all media organs, along with full control of all entertainment organs and along with full control of academia, then based on the current tepid, floundering, pointless and weak kneed responses from the right that I have seen so far, we all have a date with a guillotine's blade.
    I think this is spot-on. I would only quibble with counting the neo-conservatives as part of the "right." As far as I can tell, they've always been lefties in "sheep's clothing" (and the fact that the neo-cons have decamped nearly in toto in support of Hillary and Biden, along with other NeverTrumpers, only confirms this to me). In any case, the control by the left of media organs, entertainment organs and academia is already a fait accompli.

The problem is that the "right" is not (and never really has been) a distinct "thing" unto itself. Not in the way that the left is and has been. The left is homogeneously "progressive" in nature. But the right, at its most reducible, seems to resolve down to merely being "not the left" - with an attendant lack of ideological unity and coherence among its various factions. It is only due to the vagaries and looseness of English that the "right" has (erroneously) come to be considered equivalent to or synonymous with "conservatives" (who are but one element of the right).

Unfortunately, I don't see what can be done about this - except to secede/separate/decentralize as a way of "scattering out" from in front of the aggressive juggernaut of unchecked progressivism that is trying to steamroll everything and everyone.

Even if one or more elements of the right were able to successfully withstand the left, it seems that this would require some kind of fascistic authoritarianism to hold things together and forcibly keep a lid on "counter-reaction" from the left. This is why I think the possibilities are ultimately limited to right-fascist authoritarianism, left-socialist authoritarianism, or secession/separation/decentralization. (And of course, in the latter event, there are no guarantees that some of the seceded/separated/decentralized parts won't end up falling under the heel of some flavor of authoritarianism ...)
    Last edited by Occam's Banana; 10-07-2020 at 12:02 AM.

whoever wins the war writes the history. hows that for a poll CNN?

Isnt that the same CNN poll that had Hillary leading Trump by 20+ Points? in 2016? arent they just oversampling democrat supposed voters? and problary the same people who said they would vote for Hillary the last time?

Quote Originally Posted by vita3 View Post
    Well of course he did,the debate was rigged for Biden, why else you think Biden looked ready to read scripted questions? the debate was unfair for Trump was being interrupted by wallace.

Lol...True story.

Everybody's for helping someone until it requires effort or them actually getting into your club.
    The wisdom of Swordy:

On bringing the troops home
    Quote Originally Posted by Swordsmyth View Post
    They are coming home, all the naysayers said they would never leave Syria and then they said they were going to stay in Iraq forever.

It won't take very long to get them home but it won't be overnight either but Iraq says they can't stay and they are coming home just like Trump said.

On fighting corruption:
    Trump had to donate the "right way" and hang out with the "right people" in order to do business in NYC and Hollyweird and in order to investigate and expose them.
    Fascism Defined

Quote Originally Posted by Mach View Post
    Only thing that concerns me is that polling data has rarely been wrong. And it's not like she DIDNT win the general......but too bad for the Electoral.
    The wisdom of Swordy:

On bringing the troops home
    They are coming home, all the naysayers said they would never leave Syria and then they said they were going to stay in Iraq forever.

It won't take very long to get them home but it won't be overnight either but Iraq says they can't stay and they are coming home just like Trump said.

On fighting corruption:
    Trump had to donate the "right way" and hang out with the "right people" in order to do business in NYC and Hollyweird and in order to investigate and expose them.
    Fascism Defined

28. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Supporting Member
    Phoenix, AZ

Blog Entries
    $#@! you Frank!

Citizen of Arizona
    @cleaner4d4

I am a libertarian. I am advocating everyone enjoy maximum freedom on both personal and economic issues as long as they do not bring violence unto others.

I think this is spot-on. I would only quibble with counting the neo-conservatives as part of the "right."
    Certainly a valid point. I only include them to illustrate the huge spectrum of what the left considers deplorable racists worthy of purging. At least the neo-cons of old were united in the opposition to Marxist expansion under the Soviets.

The problem is that the "right" is not (and never really has been) a distinct "thing" unto itself. Not in the way that the left is and has been. The left is homogeneously "progressive" in nature. But the right, at its most reducible, seems to resolve down to merely being "not the left" - with an attendant lack of ideological unity and coherence among its various factions. It is only due to the vagaries and looseness of English that the "right" has (erroneously) come to be considered equivalent to or synonymous with "conservatives" (who are but one element of the right).
    Very true, but maddeningly the left is even less united or having common ground than the right: their grievance groups are constantly at each other's throats. The only thing that unites them is hatred of us, and The Orange Man.

Unfortunately, I don't see what can be done about this - except to secede/separate/decentralize as a way of "scattering out" from in front of the aggressive juggernaut of unchecked progressivism that is trying to steamroll everything and everyone.
    That is one of only a few options left.

Even if one or more elements of the right were able to successfully withstand the left, it seems that this would require some kind of fascistic authoritarianism to hold things together and forcibly keep a lid on "counter-reaction" from the left. This is why I think the possibilities are ultimately limited to right-fascist authoritarianism, left-socialist authoritarianism, or secession/separation/decentralization. (And of course, in the latter event, there are no guarantees that some of the seceded/separated/decentralized parts won't end up falling under the heel of some flavor of authoritarianism ...)
    Without a doubt and I've said the same many times.

The only way you can keep a lid on a "diverse" population of people who generally loathe each other all packed together in close quarters is with a hard assed dictator wielding a heavy hand of authoritarianism.

This is what I think the Marxists have come to understand and are pushing for.

Comply or else.

Hat tip to Anti Federalist and Occam's Banana. Great points being made by both.

However, I must disagree that decentralization is a way out of the mess. The leftists will not tolerate it, and the result would be little different from some kind of civil war in which those that decentralized are forever playing defense and suffering more. The leftists are going to bring the fight to anyone that desires freedom whether we like it or not.

The right will likely unite under some authoritarian-type or fall to the leftists due to a simple lack of organization. Collectivism is going to rear its ugly head one way or another. Those that embrace individualism are going to be swept aside by one or both sides, because of the absolute inability of individualists to effectively work toward common goals on a grand scale. The zealots on the left will gleefully persecute individualists with the approval of their conscious and will work tirelessly toward their ends.

I hope my pessimism proves unwarranted. Regardless, food, guns, ammunition, and having a tight knit group of friends that will work together if and when $#@! hits the fan are priorities. The upside is even if widespread civil unrest occurs those things are still useful.

How many times have we heard that Hillary won the popular vote in 2016? With that in mind, it is important that people that live in those locked up liberal states get out and vote. Even if their vote won't matter as far as electoral college, it will matter with popular vote. Last election I did not vote. I am certain many conservatives in the lost states figured there was no reason because their state was and always will be liberal.

Quote Originally Posted by Todd View Post
    Only thing that concerns me is that polling data has rarely been wrong. And it's not like she DIDNT win the general......but too bad for the Electoral.
    Is it possible that those that live in solid Democrat states has fewer conservatives that went out to vote? Maybe they thought it was pointless. AF shows that Biden has 17 states before he starts. A conservative living in one of those states might think it a waste of their time to go out and vote because their guy could never win. I did not vote in 2016. I am sure there were lots of Conservatives in those states that did vote. I am voting this year.

Most of the people I know say they are for Trump. Maybe it is just the area I live in. My brother travels all over the country and says that he almost never sees a Biden bumper sticker or yard sign. Maybe the Biden voters are hiding their signs I don't know what it is.

I wonder if Biden wins and they come after guns what will happen then? What will happen when he raises taxes? My guess is nothing.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast