Page 10 of 12 FirstFirst ... 89101112 LastLast

Thread: Justin Amash is the anti-Ron Paul

Quote Originally Posted by Anti Federalist View Post
    You are being invaded by millions of people, right now, who are fixing to take your property and kick you down the road, assuming they just don't kill you instead.

I agree, the right to own and protect property is critical, that's why I'm trying to make this as clear as I can.
    And if things do collapse as he admits to wanting then the millions of invaders will make it impossible to rebuild a liberty society.
    Never attempt to teach a pig to sing; it wastes your time and annoys the pig.

Robert Heinlein

Give a man an inch and right away he thinks he's a ruler

Groucho Marx

I love mankind…it’s people I can’t stand.

Linus, from the Peanuts comic

You cannot have liberty without morality and morality without faith

Alexis de Torqueville

Those who fail to learn from the past are condemned to repeat it.
    Those who learn from the past are condemned to watch everybody else repeat it

A Zero Hedge comment

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by Anti Federalist View Post
    You are being invaded by millions of people, right now, who are fixing to take your property and kick you down the road, assuming they just don't kill you instead.

I agree, the right to own and protect property is critical, that's why I'm trying to make this as clear as I can.
    Look. We keep going round and round. You have your position in life, I have mine. Perhaps people are invading your home and murdering your family members, which you have my sincerest, deepest sympathy. Around my neck of the woods, I see people working hard to make a living... Polish, Mexican, Asian, White, etc.

If anybody commits a crime regardless of race or nationality, they are dealt with. And as much as I travel around the country and over the border, nobody has ever tried to steal my property or my life. I am not saying that it does not happen, but from what I personally see, this stuff is being instigated by .gov in order to condition people, and to grow the Fed.

An Agorist Primer ~ Samuel Edward Konkin III (free PDF download)

The End of All Evil ~ Jeremy Locke (free PDF download)

4. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by PAF View Post
    Look. We keep going round and round. You have your position in life, I have mine. Perhaps people are invading your home and murdering your family members, which you have my sincerest, deepest sympathy. Around my neck of the woods, I see people working hard to make a living... Polish, Mexican, Asian, White, etc.

If anybody commits a crime regardless of race or nationality, they are dealt with. And as much as I travel around the country and over the border, nobody has ever tried to steal my property or my life. I am not saying that it does not happen, but from what I personally see, this stuff is being instigated by .gov in order to condition people, and to grow the Fed.
    Just go ahead and continue to ignore history and the current facts on their political effects, the grownups will take care of this in spite of your whining.

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

Open borders (systematic language, culture and race/ethnic replacement by those who historically demand big government and use government at the expense of taxpayers), no retaliation for Chinese tariffs and enriching the Communist Chinese at the expense of our manufacturing base being decimated. All celebrated here by a contingent on RPF as well as con-artist so called liberty candidates like Justin Clinton Amash. Just another thread that goes to show that much of the libertarian movement is co-opted by the opposition.

I know any day now these same RPF'ers will be defending reparations or whatever asinine policy the far left comes up with that is repeatedly defended here by so called libertarians. Policies that are systematically guaranteed to expunge the growth of libertarian beliefs within the borders of the US.

Quote Originally Posted by UWDude View Post
    LoL. If you say so.
    Me and 93% of economists. https://gregmankiw.blogspot.com/2009...sts-agree.html

Tariffs and import quotas usually reduce general economic welfare. (93%)

Quote Originally Posted by nobody's_hero View Post
    That's a very hardline position to take and I think tariffs are much more complex than you are depicting.

Say you own a business. Your competition resides across the street. Every time you try to sell a product, you get punched in the face. Every time your competitor sells a product, he gets a pat on the back and a subsidy, meaning he can offer even cheaper rates.

Your competitor is happy because he gets rewarded. The consumer is happy because hey, cheap stuff. That leaves you, frustrated, folding up shop—not because of some "free-market" "best man won"-type of outcome, but because the market was so distorted you couldn't survive without some sort of balance.

I'm not sure what the solution is but I'm just not to the point where I can see this as a positive, especially considering that the trade situation we've been in for several decades is most likely devised to conceal the harmful policies of the Fed. Promote consumerism, punish productivity, it just seems very Keynesian to me.

A dollar is worth the goods and services you can buy with it. In international trade, you pay for products with products. If China subsidizes an industry and lowers the cost artificially to the point of making the US business uncompetitive, that becomes a benefit to some other part of the United States economy that the Chinese businessman will buy from. The key part of all this is Chinese businessmen have to get something of value in return or else they wouldn't trade. They aren't just getting paper rectangles to use for decoration.

Quote Originally Posted by kahless View Post
    at the expense of our manufacturing base being decimated.
    Which is ultimately what most of this tariff talk is about. Who cares if manufacturing jobs are going away? Why are those jobs worth saving? Protectionist tariffs are welfare stolen from people not in those protected industries. Not to mention we manufacture more now as a country than ever before.

Protecting dying, uncompetitive industries makes society poorer. It only hurts those unwilling to adapt.

Quote Originally Posted by Krugminator2 View Post
    Consensus doesn't determine truth, especially when propaganda has been taught on the subject for a long time.

A dollar is worth the goods and services you can buy with it. In international trade, you pay for products with products. If China subsidizes an industry and lowers the cost artificially to the point of making the US business uncompetitive, that becomes a benefit to some other part of the United States economy that the Chinese businessman will buy from. The key part of all this is Chinese businessmen have to get something of value in return or else they wouldn't trade. They aren't just getting paper rectangles to use for decoration.
    It causes misallocation of resources and damages our economy, they aren't doing it because they are stupid, they are doing it to destroy us and turn us communist.

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

Which is ultimately what most of this tariff talk is about. Who cares if manufacturing jobs are going away? We manufacture more now as a country than ever before.

Protecting dying, uncompetitive industries makes society poorer. It only hurts those unwilling to adapt.
    They aren't really uncompetitve and allowing the enemy to destroy them make millions of Americans poorer and susceptible to communism while enriching the Chinese oligarchs and their American collaborators at the expense of everyone else, you are defending government intervention and theft.

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

Quote Originally Posted by kahless View Post
    Open borders (systematic language, culture and race/ethnic replacement by those who historically demand big government and use government at the expense of taxpayers), no retaliation for Chinese tariffs and enriching the Communist Chinese at the expense of our manufacturing base being decimated. All celebrated here by a contingent on RPF as well as con-artist so called liberty candidates like Justin Clinton Amash. Just another thread that goes to show that much of the libertarian movement is co-opted by the opposition.

I know any day now these same RPF'ers will be defending reparations or whatever asinine policy the far left comes up with that is repeatedly defended here by so called libertarians. Policies that are systematically guaranteed to expunge the growth of libertarian beliefs within the borders of the US.
    Fortunately Trump won and is fighting back in spite of the losertarians.

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

Banned

Blog Entries
    Yup, and they are buying up all the land, school seats, politicians, and technology companies. And then using the politicians and technology companies to tell us to STFU, bend over, and tell them we enjoy it.

But hey, at least we get cheap plastic chairs and red white and blue wind spinners.
    Last edited by UWDude; 07-08-2019 at 09:41 PM.

13. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Yup, and they are buying up all the land, school seats, politicians, and technology companies. And then using the politicians and technology companies to tell us to STFU, bend over, and tell them we enjoy it.
    I thought by 2020 being the resistance meant holing up somewhere waiting for the government goons to take you away to the camps, but instead it's by being the correct gender
    A savage barbaric tribal society where thugs parade the streets and illegally assault and murder innocent civilians, yeah that is the alternative to having police. Oh wait, that is the police

We cannot defend freedom abroad by deserting it at home.
    - Edward R. Murrow

...I think we have moral obligations to disobey unjust laws, because non-cooperation with evil is as much as a moral obligation as cooperation with good. - MLK Jr.

How to trigger a liberal: "I didn't get vaccinated."

Quote Originally Posted by PAF View Post
    Sword Shill doesn't get that this .gov is causing the very problems by not eliminating the incentives/Welfare, not only for immigrants but Section 8 as well.

Once cheap products are no longer to be had and prices start to soar, I wonder what Sword Shill's approach will be when multi-generational Americans on Section 8 start having MORE babies on top of the 5 they already have by 3 different fathers in order up the monthly Welfare checks!

Sword Shill has no concept of cause and effect. Things may be undesirable now.... but you know what? Let the whole the damned thing collapse - the sooner the better!
    He already tried to say that the .69-->.99 jump in canned vegetables at Food Lion was due to the store taking advantage of news stories about inflation and shortages to raise prices

That's some bizarre ass reasoning on display. But there's your answer. The stores will be taking advantage of the news items about rising prices in order to raise prices. omg

eta: in a way SS may be right in that the news items are a signal to the CEOs to commence price increases...but it doesn't matter. Prices rising is prices rising. If the stores reduced prices later when it's out of the news cycle it would be the opportunist framing but we all know there won't be a price reduction.
    Last edited by devil21; 07-09-2019 at 01:47 AM.
    "Let it not be said that we did nothing."-Ron Paul

"We have set them on the hobby-horse of an idea about the absorption of individuality by the symbolic unit of COLLECTIVISM. They have never yet and they never will have the sense to reflect that this hobby-horse is a manifest violation of the most important law of nature, which has established from the very creation of the world one unit unlike another and precisely for the purpose of instituting individuality."- A Quote From Some Old Book

Quote Originally Posted by Swordsmyth View Post
    That's nonsense, any way you can purposely damage and destroy another country can be used for war.
    Sanctions and blockades are the only things that come to mind.

That is what the Chinese are engaging in, defending against it isn't the same thing, even Adam Smith said so.
    Adam Smith is not my God.

I could care less about who has advocated for tariffs or various forms of protectionism.

Can I, as a human being, transact with who I wish to?

If the answer is, "No," or a "But," you are a misinformed tyrant.

No, they imposed tariffs of their own after the Revolution, they rebelled because a government they had no representation in was putting many different kinds of taxes on them.
    American Tariffs and Wars From the Revolution to the Depression

by James Bovard, 2014

Fair trade is once again a rallying cry for many Americans. Many contemporary leftists believe that the U.S. government should impose restrictions or tariffs on imported goods that are alleged to have been produced by underpaid or oppressed Third World workers. Few contemporary protectionists are aware of the sordid history of trade conflicts earlier in American history.

Restrictive trade policies were a major cause of the American Revolution. “In 1732, England slapped heavy duties on American pig iron, and, in a death blow to the hat industry, decreed that hat makers were forbidden to have more than two apprentices each,” as an 1892 Stanford University monograph noted. In 1750 Britain prohibited Americans from erecting any mill for rolling or slitting iron; William Pitt exclaimed, “It is forbidden to make even a nail for a horseshoe.” The Declaration of Independence denounced King George for “cutting off our trade with all parts of the world.” Many Founding Fathers recognized the corrupt nature of such restrictions. Benjamin Franklin observed, “Most of the statutes or acts, edicts, arrests, and placarts of parliaments, princes, and states, for regulating, directing, or restraining trade, have been either political blunders, or jobs obtained by artful men for private advantage, under pretense of public good.”

More at link.

https://mises.org/library/american-t...ion-depression
    “The nationalist not only does not disapprove of atrocities committed by his own side, but he has a remarkable capacity for not even hearing about them.” --George Orwell

Quote Originally Posted by AuH20 View Post
    In terms of a full spectrum candidate, Rand is leaps and bounds above Trump. I'm not disputing that.
    Who else in public life has called for a pre-emptive strike on North Korea?--Donald Trump

Yup. In all cases of conquest and colonization, there are always those that do deals and trade with the invaders.
    And it is true, the US government tried to make settlers respect Indian land, but settlers didn't care. And the US government was not interested in using its own people to enforce laws against its own people, so treaties were pretty much meaningless.
    The indians could never show enough solidarity to stop other indians from making deals for knives and pots and guns and plastic lawn chairs.

Same with Africa. In Africa, the disenfranchised Africans were overjoyed to see British and French colonizers on the horizon. It meant a new start for many of them, and the Europeans used this to full effect. I've read quite a few books on the matter, some from perspective of colonial resisters, and some from perspective of colonial collaborators. Christian ideals like the "meek shall inherit the Earth" resonated quite well with Africans shunned by their own tribes, and indeed, in many cases, it was the meek who ended up ruling over their former chieftains.

And i see the "freedom" the globalists are trying to bring America, by empowering the weak, by elevating victimhood. I see the attempts at censorship, thought control and disarmament. Not interested in selling my rights for cheap lawn chairs.

In the meantime, the Chinese are buying up all the land, housing, technology companies and farms, with the money they get from sellign Americans cheap plastic lawn chairs. I know this personally because whenever I see my landlord, who is Chinese, I have to listen to him rail on Trump, and say nothing. Wouldn't want to be kicked out of my home because a man who has lived here for less than a decade thinks he knows better for my country than I do. (Funnily, he thinks black people are the richest Americans. I thought he was joking at first. But nope, he insisted, he thinks they are all sports stars and music stars. When I told him they were the poorest, he just said "nah, I don;t know about that, I think you are wrong).

Every time I see him, though, he starts bagging on Trump for whatever the hot story of the day is.

Oh, and i say this, because out of my past 4 residences, 3 have been owned by Chinese, and one was owned by a Serb.
    Sounds like you need a Life Skill.
    “The nationalist not only does not disapprove of atrocities committed by his own side, but he has a remarkable capacity for not even hearing about them.” --George Orwell

In terms of a full spectrum candidate, Rand is leaps and bounds above Trump. I'm not disputing that.
    Who else in public life has called for a pre-emptive strike on North Korea?--Donald Trump

Banned

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by kcchiefs6465 View Post
    Wow, now tariffs restrict you from buying things.

Literally Hitler!

Then you are ignorant.

No, you can't trade with an enemy that is waging trade warfare against us at will any more than you are free to trade with a burglar or a fence.
    American Tariffs and Wars From the Revolution to the Depression

by James Bovard, 2014

Fair trade is once again a rallying cry for many Americans. Many contemporary leftists believe that the U.S. government should impose restrictions or tariffs on imported goods that are alleged to have been produced by underpaid or oppressed Third World workers. Few contemporary protectionists are aware of the sordid history of trade conflicts earlier in American history.

Restrictive trade policies were a major cause of the American Revolution. “In 1732, England slapped heavy duties on American pig iron, and, in a death blow to the hat industry, decreed that hat makers were forbidden to have more than two apprentices each,” as an 1892 Stanford University monograph noted. In 1750 Britain prohibited Americans from erecting any mill for rolling or slitting iron; William Pitt exclaimed, “It is forbidden to make even a nail for a horseshoe.” The Declaration of Independence denounced King George for “cutting off our trade with all parts of the world.” Many Founding Fathers recognized the corrupt nature of such restrictions. Benjamin Franklin observed, “Most of the statutes or acts, edicts, arrests, and placarts of parliaments, princes, and states, for regulating, directing, or restraining trade, have been either political blunders, or jobs obtained by artful men for private advantage, under pretense of public good.”

More at link.

https://mises.org/library/american-t...ion-depression
    As members of the empire they had a right to trade in it and the "tariffs" against them were no different than a tax imposed on them without representation.
    The prohibitions against colonial industry were doubly tyrannical because parliament had no right to enact such a law even if the colonies had representation.
    Any interference with foreign trade may not have been justified in its own right depending on whether England was being targeted with trade warfare but they were certainly tyrannical because of the lack of representation.

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

Wow, now tariffs restrict you from buying things.

Literally Hitler!
    Got your coffee all heated up, huh?

Then you are ignorant.

No, you can't trade with an enemy that is waging trade warfare against us at will any more than you are free to trade with a burglar or a fence.

As members of the empire they had a right to trade in it and the "tariffs" against them were no different than a tax imposed on them without representation.
    The prohibitions against colonial industry were doubly tyrannical because parliament had no right to enact such a law even if the colonies had representation.
    Any interference with foreign trade may not have been justified in its own right depending on whether England was being targeted with trade warfare but they were certainly tyrannical because of the lack of representation.
    @kcchiefs6465, the founders were being targeted with trade warfare by a government that wasn't theirs, they didn't just take it the way you want us to.

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

22. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Banned

Blog Entries
    Got your coffee all heated up, huh?
    You'll never guess.

Adam Smith is not my God.
    But his tome Wealth of Nations is their God. Read it.

"We have set them on the hobby-horse of an idea about the absorption of individuality by the symbolic unit of COLLECTIVISM. They have never yet and they never will have the sense to reflect that this hobby-horse is a manifest violation of the most important law of nature, which has established from the very creation of the world one unit unlike another and precisely for the purpose of instituting individuality."- A Quote From Some Old Book

Quote Originally Posted by devil21 View Post
    But his tome Wealth of Nations is their God. Read it.
    It's not mine, you free trade fanatics seem to like it though.

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

It's not mine, you free trade fanatics seem to like it though.
    Late shift tonight, eh?

Proverbs 15:14
    14 The discerning heart seeks knowledge, but the mouth of a fool feeds on folly.

Quote Originally Posted by devil21 View Post
    Late shift tonight, eh?

Proverbs 15:14
    14 The discerning heart seeks knowledge, but the mouth of a fool feeds on folly.
    “The devil can cite Scripture for his purpose.
    An evil soul producing holy witness
    Is like a villain with a smiling cheek,
    A goodly apple rotten at the heart.
    O, what a goodly outside falsehood hath!”

― William Shakespeare, The Merchant of Venice

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

Quote Originally Posted by sylcfh View Post
    Is this a libertarian forum or what?
    No. Never has been.
    ================
    Open Borders: A Libertarian Reappraisal or why only dumbasses and cultural marxists are for it.

Cultural Marxism: The Corruption of America

The Property Basis of Rights

And if things do collapse as he admits to wanting then the millions of invaders will make it impossible to rebuild a liberty society.
    We need to end our liberty society because if we don't then the immigrants will come here and end our liberty society.

As members of the empire they had a right to trade in it
    A right to trade, you say? But only within the collective?

31. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Pat Buchanan is an idiot. He is just wrong and it isn't debatable. His argument is the bottom of the barrel argument for tariffs.

Both countries win economically when you allow trade otherwise trade wouldn't happen. People don't make it a habit to make themselves worse off when they buy something. Consumers choose foreign products when they deem them better or cheaper. I drive a Japanese car for that reason. I shop at Wal-Mart. In turn the producers int he foreign country buys US products or invests in the US. I don't get the fetish of manufacturing. And he isn't even right about that. The US manufactures more now than at any point in history.

Why would any country want to be economically independent? They are basically saying they want to be poorer and inefficient. Not to mention free trade is a safeguard against big government. If government regulation stifles business at home, someone outside the borders will produce it more efficiently.
    On some items it makes sense, for example a simple iron, but on other items it does not, for example food, should America not be self sufficient on food at the very least the food grown in North America so Canada and Mexico. So for example I see Chinese garlic in stores, I think there should be a 3000% tariff on that to lock them out of the market, we need to grow and cultivate our own basic food supply. This actually serves as a protection for us in a number of ways. The number one plant for micro-transistors in the world is in Taiwan. If the Chinese every took that over, America would need to look at building their own. The tech manufacturing required to build 5nm chip sets doesn't spring up over night. Local is better so as a nation you don't relay on others that can hold it over you with political leverage, if they are trying to accomplish something with pressure or even an embargo. The best example of that is when America embargoed Japans oil supply during WW2, it motivated them to strike and awaken the sleeping dragon, that was very self-reliant back then with many factories ready to be converted to fight the war.

I am not arguing you with on things like cars, I own a made in Japan car myself. But it is fools errand to give economic support to developing rival political powers and let them have the advantage in trade that makes you more reliant on them. Trump is not wrong on China and trade and he has seen it for decades, I am glad he is putting pressure on them like no other president before him. Their antics in the South China see need to be pressured at every level and point.
    Last edited by ProBlue33; 07-09-2019 at 07:21 AM.
    Et cognoscetis veritatem et veritas liberabit vos

Quote Originally Posted by sylcfh View Post
    Is this a libertarian forum or what?
    Many were Ron Paul supporters before their soft Libertarian leanings. They gathered here and never left.
    I will say this again, a conservative Supreme court is the best chance Libertarians have in preserving the basic liberty of the constitution....to that end Trump is the best vehicle to accomplish this, right now. Many posting to RPF understand this, some don't get it or don't care.

Quote Originally Posted by ProBlue33 View Post
    On some items it makes sense, for example a simple iron, but on other items it does not, for example food, should America not be self sufficient on food at the very least the food grown in North America so Canada and Mexico. So for example I see Chinese garlic in stores, I think there should be a 3000% tariff on that to lock them out of the market, we need to grow and cultivate our own basic food supply. This actually serves as a protection for us in a number of ways. The number one plant for micro-transistors in the world is in Taiwan. If the Chinese every took that over, America would need to look at building their own. The tech manufacturing required to build 5nm chip sets doesn't spring up over night. Local is better so as a nation you don't relay on others that can hold it over you with political leverage, if they are trying to accomplish something with pressure or even an embargo. The best example of that is when America embargoed Japans oil supply during WW2, it motivated them to strike and awaken the sleeping dragon, that was very self-reliant back then with many factories ready to be converted to fight the war.

I am not arguing you with on things like cars, I own a made in Japan car myself. But it is fools errand to give economic support to developing rival political powers and let them have the advantage in trade that makes you more reliant on them. Trump is not wrong on China and trade and he has seen it for decades, I am glad he is putting pressure on them like no other president before him. Their antics in the South China see need to be pressured at every level and point.
    Words like "should", "pressure"... if people want to grow or manufacture regardless of where they live, let the free market determine whether they stay in business or not.

Trump is a protectionist like all other government goons... he is certainly not a free market advocate.

Klaus Schwab, Founder and Executive Chairman of the World Economic Forum:

"Keynesianism was a much greater focus on health and education, and the role of government working with business. And then a reaction against that in the late century to neo-liberalism, where the focus was on Free Markets, Freedom of the Individual and getting governments out of the way. We need a shift to a new system..."

http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthr...80#post6826180
    Last edited by PAF; 07-09-2019 at 07:32 AM.

An Agorist Primer ~ Samuel Edward Konkin III (free PDF download)

The End of All Evil ~ Jeremy Locke (free PDF download)

let the free market determine whether they stay in business or not.
    But the markets aren't totally free with China or fair, I know of several companies that were prospering being owned by non-Chinese companies, as soon as the Chinese got a hold of them as owners they killed them. And they all had some production in North America and Taiwan, all shut down, it's like economic targeting. And those are only the ones I know about, how many others are there just like that.

Page 10 of 12 FirstFirst ... 89101112 LastLast