Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Can anyone recommend a good gas grill?

Can anyone recommend a good gas grill?

Taste the meat, not the heat. - Hank Hill

Mr A wants a new one for his birthday. I'm going to surprise him and buy it with my own money so I don't want to spend over 400.00.

About 15 years ago my mom bought him a silver one from Ace Hardware that he loved. It even had a rotisserie. She never told me how much it cost but she's a big spender. When it finally died a few years ago, I bought him another silver one but I got it at Home Depot. He hated it so I bought him a black and silver one from Home Depot and he hated that one so I tried again with another silver one but I got that one at Lowes. Anyway, he hates that one, too and wants a new one. I have to admit the last silver one really was a piece of $#@!. I started rusting within weeks and we keep it covered, oiled and clean. Literally, chunks of grate are stuck to our food when we use it.

All those grills were in the 200.00 range and I'm thinking of going up a bit to get something that won't make him cuss. I would like something big because we have parties in the summer and Mr A likes to grill for them.

I'm looking at the Monument brand from Lowes. Not many reviews but they're all good and one reviewer hated the Char-Broil. That's a good sign. because I know one of the grills he hated was a Char-Broil. I was also looking at the Weber but they're pretty small in my price range. Are they worth it?
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron Paul View Post
    The intellectual battle for liberty can appear to be a lonely one at times. However, the numbers are not as important as the principles that we hold. Leonard Read always taught that "it's not a numbers game, but an ideological game." That's why it's important to continue to provide a principled philosophy as to what the role of government ought to be, despite the numbers that stare us in the face.
    Quote Originally Posted by Origanalist View Post
    This intellectually stimulating conversation is the reason I keep coming here.

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    I got a very large stainless one from Menards from the Mrs for Fathers day couple years ago . It is very nice but I do not know the brand . I will check in the daylight I think it was on sale under 300 . I have a Weber charcoal grill and yes they are expensive . Cannot say if they are worth it or not because I have not really had any to compare it to . I also have a large electric smoker . It is great for smoking salmon , chicken , pheasants , Chuckars , Huns ( hungarian partridges )etc
    Do something Danke

My rec is a weber performer deluxe. Ya it's charcoal but it has a gas starter so it's a little less work. Run it by him first.

Suz, don't be cheap. I am sure Mr. A. will be able to show his gratitude. YOLO.

I have been thinking of getting a small cheap one to put out by my bonfire area , my old one out there has holes rusted through it . I use it for my annual halloween bonfire . We do burgers , dogs & chili . When I am home alone , I often just use the grate and stand I have to go over my open fire at the fire pit .
    Do something Danke

Quote Originally Posted by kona View Post
    Lucky man, Suz!
    That's what I keep telling him! I already bought him some beard balm. The dumbass got roped into being Santa at church and he's growing out his beard. It's outta control so I bought him some beard balm. I suggested he get some but he said it sounded gay. He looks like a homeless lumberjack.

I also have to find him some funny gifts. I always like to give a nice gift and a funny (funny to me, anyway) gift. When I was at the Mexican grocery store, I saw a crazy Pinata that really did resemble me. My son and I couldn't stop laughing at it. I think we're going to get it and fill it with Mr A's favorite candy - Aldi's chocolate and nasty Mallow Cups. I think he'd enjoy beating the hell out of a Suzanimal Pinata. Even if I don't buy it, I have to take a pic with that thing - it's creepy, as hell.
    The intellectual battle for liberty can appear to be a lonely one at times. However, the numbers are not as important as the principles that we hold. Leonard Read always taught that "it's not a numbers game, but an ideological game." That's why it's important to continue to provide a principled philosophy as to what the role of government ought to be, despite the numbers that stare us in the face.

I have always been partial to Weber, but haven’t ever bought one new. I have two charcoal kettles and one large stainless, natural gas. Craigslist is where I found them. I like Weber’s bc for the most part they aren’t $#@! and you can find all the replacement parts online. I previously had a Genesis II (three main burners, side burner and flip up table). Worked great and when the flavorizing bars got rusted, just pitched and bought new ones online. The gas grill is usually on weeknight duty while the kettles get more use on the weekend when I have time for low and slow. Good luck.

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by ghengis86 View Post
    I have always been partial to Weber, but haven’t ever bought one new. I have two charcoal kettles and one large stainless, natural gas. Craigslist is where I found them. I like Weber’s bc for the most part they aren’t $#@! and you can find all the replacement parts online. I previously had a Genesis II (three main burners, side burner and flip up table). Worked great and when the flavorizing bars got rusted, just pitched and bought new ones online. The gas grill is usually on weeknight duty while the kettles get more use on the weekend when I have time for low and slow. Good luck.
    Can you taste a difference between a burger/steak cooked on gas vs charcoal?

I have a used CharBroil stainless steal gas grill with cast iron grates and a side burner that I got off craigslist for about $100.

I cleaned the bottom of the grill when I got it and it has been outside, uncovered for a year and a half, it still looks good. All the burners still turn on with the electric starter button.

I wish I could get a CampChef smoker with the side sear box option.. they are very expensive, but reverse searing is supposed to be the best for steaks and stuff. You can smoke your steak up to whatever temp you want, then throw it on the sear box.. yum

"He's talkin' to his gut like it's a person!!" -me
    "dumpster diving isn't professional." - angelatc
    "You don't need a medical degree to spot obvious bullshit, that's actually a separate skill." -Scott Adams
    "When you are divided, and angry, and controlled, you target those 'different' from you, not those responsible [controllers]" -Q

"Each of us must choose which course of action we should take: education, conventional political action, or even peaceful civil disobedience to bring about necessary changes. But let it not be said that we did nothing." - Ron Paul

"Paul said "the wave of the future" is a coalition of anti-authoritarian progressive Democrats and libertarian Republicans in Congress opposed to domestic surveillance, opposed to starting new wars and in favor of ending the so-called War on Drugs."

Quote Originally Posted by oyarde View Post
    I have a Weber charcoal grill and yes they are expensive . Cannot say if they are worth it or not because I have not really had any to compare it to .
    I, too, have a Weber kettle. It's charcoal, because charcoal makes things taste good and gas makes things taste like gas. The kettle is great. There are other grills that either burn too hot or won't burn at all. As long as you don't shove in all the charcoal that'll fit, a Weber kettle is pretty easy to regulate. If you put more charcoal in a Weber than you can fit in a gallon pitcher, you're being silly.

As for longevity, I'm afraid I have to replace mine. It's falling apart. I don't know why; it has only been to forty-something states since Dad bought in 1966.
    Last edited by acptulsa; 03-17-2019 at 02:50 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Swordsmyth View Post
    You only want the freedoms that will undermine the nation and lead to the destruction of liberty.

I prefer charcoal for taste, but it's a pain in the rear compared to gas grills. Gas grills are really convenient, you can fire them up with the press of a button and you don't have to deal with buying charcoals, lighting them and all the charcoal dust.. You do have to buy propane tanks, unless you hook your grill up to your natural gas line..
    "You don't need a medical degree to spot obvious bullshit, that's actually a separate skill." -Scott Adams
    "When you are divided, and angry, and controlled, you target those 'different' from you, not those responsible [controllers]" -Q

"Each of us must choose which course of action we should take: education, conventional political action, or even peaceful civil disobedience to bring about necessary changes. But let it not be said that we did nothing." - Ron Paul

"Paul said "the wave of the future" is a coalition of anti-authoritarian progressive Democrats and libertarian Republicans in Congress opposed to domestic surveillance, opposed to starting new wars and in favor of ending the so-called War on Drugs."

The best grill I have ever owned is a portable stainless steel one I purchased from BJ's for $79. Good heat control and can replace cheaper than fix. Still going strong after 2 full years.

This is the grill: https://www.bjs.com/product/cuisinar...00000001221148

Wow price is now $169. No wonder why I like it and thought it was a great grill for $79.
    Last edited by Schifference; 03-17-2019 at 03:06 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by dannno View Post
    I prefer charcoal for taste, but it's a pain in the rear compared to gas grills. Gas grills are really convenient, you can fire them up with the press of a button and you don't have to deal with buying charcoals, lighting them and all the charcoal dust.. You do have to buy propane tanks, unless you hook your grill up to your natural gas line..
    Propane is pretty cheap compared to charcoal . I have a propane heater for my shop and I go through about two grill tanks every winter and I have two propane grills so I always have about a half dozen of them around . Once you own the tanks , pretty cheap.
    Do something Danke

Yes , charcoal is better but gas more convenient and cheaper .
    Do something Danke

Quote Originally Posted by Suzanimal View Post
    Taste the meat, not the heat. - Hank Hill

Mr A wants a new one for his birthday. I'm going to surprise him and buy it with my own money so I don't want to spend over 400.00.

About 15 years ago my mom bought him a silver one from Ace Hardware that he loved. It even had a rotisserie. She never told me how much it cost but she's a big spender. When it finally died a few years ago, I bought him another silver one but I got it at Home Depot. He hated it so I bought him a black and silver one from Home Depot and he hated that one so I tried again with another silver one but I got that one at Lowes. Anyway, he hates that one, too and wants a new one. I have to admit the last silver one really was a piece of $#@!. I started rusting within weeks and we keep it covered, oiled and clean. Literally, chunks of grate are stuck to our food when we use it.

All those grills were in the 200.00 range and I'm thinking of going up a bit to get something that won't make him cuss. I would like something big because we have parties in the summer and Mr A likes to grill for them.

I'm looking at the Monument brand from Lowes. Not many reviews but they're all good and one reviewer hated the Char-Broil. That's a good sign. because I know one of the grills he hated was a Char-Broil. I was also looking at the Weber but they're pretty small in my price range. Are they worth it?
    Mine is a Savor Pro mad by Vanston Inc. which is in Arlington or Plano Tx I think . They sell them at Menards and maybe lowes and walmart .They even have a phone number you can call with any questions about replacement parts , I have not had to replace any parts yet .
    Last edited by oyarde; 03-17-2019 at 03:14 PM.
    Do something Danke

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    I can. I prefer wood but it's more time consuming and life gets in the way so we use the gas. My least favorite is charcoal when Mr A squirts a ton of lighter fluid on it. I can taste the lighter fluid. He says I can't but I can. I know what lighter fluid tastes like.

Quote Originally Posted by acptulsa View Post
    I, too, have a Weber kettle. It's charcoal, because charcoal makes things taste good and gas makes things taste like gas. The kettle is great. There are other grills that either burn too hot or won't burn at all. As long as you don't shove in all the charcoal that'll fit, a Weber kettle is pretty easy to regulate. If you put more charcoal in a Weber than you can fit in a gallon pitcher, you're being silly.

As for longevity, I'm afraid I have to replace mine. It's falling apart. I don't know why; it has only been to forty-something states since Dad bought in 1966.
    Wadda piece of crap!

I can. I prefer wood but it's more time consuming and life gets in the way so we use the gas. My least favorite is charcoal when Mr A squirts a ton of lighter fluid on it. I can taste the lighter fluid. He says I can't but I can. I know what lighter fluid tastes like.
    Inquiring minds want to know how much of it you drank.
    Never attempt to teach a pig to sing; it wastes your time and annoys the pig.

Robert Heinlein

Give a man an inch and right away he thinks he's a ruler

Groucho Marx

I love mankind…it’s people I can’t stand.

Linus, from the Peanuts comic

You cannot have liberty without morality and morality without faith

Alexis de Torqueville

Those who fail to learn from the past are condemned to repeat it.
    Those who learn from the past are condemned to watch everybody else repeat it

A Zero Hedge comment

Quote Originally Posted by acptulsa View Post

Lovely story, thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by dannno View Post
    You have a natural gas line?

Inquiring minds want to know how much of it you drank.
    Adding liquid fluid to the charcoal is a sure way to kill the taste. Mr. A. should have known better. Does he serve any food in his bar?

Yeah, a ton of lighter fluid is a good way to waste good food. But I think if you could get Mr. A to successfully use a Weber kettle a couple of times, he'd never go back. It isn't that damned difficult. Yes, you absolutely have to get the charcoal started long before meal time. Other than that...

Don't use much charcoal. Like I say, you can use a gallon pitcher until you get a feel for it.

Don't put the food directly over the fire (unless it's something like corn in the husk). Arrange it around the edge.

Keep the lid on. You're smoking as much as cooking. There are air vents top and bottom. Wide open is for cold days with no wind. Fully closed will generally put the fire out, but if you're cooking fatty ground beef in a gale, it's the way to go. Just watch the smoke. Too much? Choke them closed a little. Not enough? Open them up before the fire goes out.
    You only want the freedoms that will undermine the nation and lead to the destruction of liberty.

You have a natural gas line?
    Not anymore, I buy propane tanks (you can get them refilled for about $20 or less).. but when I was a kid my dad had a line installed outside so we could hook it up to the grill.

28. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Look into that weber performer deluxe I mentioned above. No lighter fluid required.

I use something similar to this on my gas grill... you can get different kinds of chips for a varied degree of smokiness.

Don't need a weather man to know which way the wind blows

I didn't read the rest of the topic out of scarcity of time but I don't like gas grills.

I've got a ceramic bbq, one of those eggs (a red one) and it's the most convenient. I've got a bunch of different accessories with it and can do anything I want from low heat to high heat. I can set it and it keeps its temperature for hours. Ideal for slow cooking but also for grilling. Used it about 50 times last year.

It's on charcoal but as long as you buy that in bulk it's easy. You add a few new coals and use a blowtorch for a minute. Let it come to temp for 10 mins and you are good to go.
    "I am a bird"

Wadda piece of crap!
    In before Luctor tells you about his super fancy , expensive , giant kick ass ceramic egg .
    Do something Danke

Quote Originally Posted by oyarde View Post
    In before Luctor tells you about his super fancy , expensive , giant kick ass ceramic egg .

At least he didn't mention his Vulva--er, I mean Volvo.

When Luctor makes his second million he may send my tribe a great fancy ceramic egg and forge alliance with the Great Oyarde .
    Do something Danke

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast