Thread: NJ - Mayor of Newark proposes UBI program.

Exclamation NJ - Mayor of Newark proposes UBI program.

Newark's mayor exploring universal basic income program

http://www.fox5ny.com/news/newark-un...l-basic-income

Posted Mar 14 2019 08:56AM EDT

Updated Mar 14 2019 09:53AM EDT

NEW JERSEY (FOX 5 NY) - Getting a paycheck for doing nothing could be in the future for residents of New Jersey's largest city.

Newark Mayor Ras Baraka says the city is going to study a pilot program to provide a universal basic income, or basically guaranteeing income for all residents whether they have a job.

He made the statement during his annual State of the City address Tuesday night at the New Jersey Performing Arts Center.

The city has launched a taskforce to see if the program is feasible with help from the Economic Security Project and the Jain Institute.

"We believe in Universal Basic Income, especially in a time where studies have shown that families that have a crisis of just $400 in a month may experience a setback that may be difficult even impossible to recover from," Baraka said.

He noted that a third of the city still lives in poverty. He didn't release any more details on the plan, like how it would be funded or when a final decision would be made.

There has not been a successful long-term Universal Basic Income program. A small basic-income program that was tested in Finland was ended after one year.

Baraka was re-elected last year to a second term as mayor of the city of 280,000 residents.
    Another mark of a tyrant is that he likes foreigners better than citizens, and lives with them and invites them to his table; for the one are enemies, but the Others enter into no rivalry with him. - Aristotle's Politics Book 5 Part 11

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    People who work in NYC are stuck.

You have to live in NJ or CT. F*ck living in NY.

But everyone else should abandon ship. GTFO while you still can.
    "An idea whose time has come cannot be stopped by any army or any government" - Ron Paul.

"To learn who rules over you simply find out who you arent allowed to criticize."

They should have Googled UBI failures before going forward.

And its going to fail miserably just like it has for everyone else that has tried it.
    "Perhaps one of the most important accomplishments of my administration is minding my own business."

Calvin Coolidge

Quote Originally Posted by phill4paul View Post
    Stockton, CA.

We're being governed ruled by a geriatric Alzheimer patient/puppet whose strings are being pulled by an elitist oligarchy who believe they can manage the world... imagine the utter maniacal, sociopathic hubris!

Do I need to get Danke a Newark PO Box to collect his UBI ?
    Do something Danke

Quote Originally Posted by oyarde View Post
    Do I need to get Danke a Newark PO Box to collect his UBI ?
    For him to collect it or for you to collect it?
    Never attempt to teach a pig to sing; it wastes your time and annoys the pig.

Robert Heinlein

Give a man an inch and right away he thinks he's a ruler

Groucho Marx

I love mankind…it’s people I can’t stand.

Linus, from the Peanuts comic

You cannot have liberty without morality and morality without faith

Alexis de Torqueville

Those who fail to learn from the past are condemned to repeat it.
    Those who learn from the past are condemned to watch everybody else repeat it

A Zero Hedge comment

Quote Originally Posted by Swordsmyth View Post
    For him to collect it or for you to collect it?
    He would not spend it as wisely as I so it is best for him if I invest it for him , as I have with his other ubi .
    Last edited by oyarde; 03-16-2019 at 08:41 PM.
    Do something Danke

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by phill4paul View Post
    LOL, like that would have stopped them.
    Another mark of a tyrant is that he likes foreigners better than citizens, and lives with them and invites them to his table; for the one are enemies, but the Others enter into no rivalry with him. - Aristotle's Politics Book 5 Part 11

Quote Originally Posted by Anti Federalist View Post
    LOL, like that would have stopped them.
    It failed because it wasn't big enough, obviously. That's the reason for everything.
    Quote Originally Posted by timosman View Post
    This is getting silly.
    Quote Originally Posted by Swordsmyth View Post
    It started silly.
    T.S. Eliot's The Hollow Men

"One of the penalties for refusing to participate in politics is that you end up being governed by your inferiors." - Plato

We Are Running Out of Time - Mini Me

Quote Originally Posted by Philhelm
    I part ways with "libertarianism" when it transitions from ideology grounded in logic into self-defeating autism for the sake of ideological purity.

Quote Originally Posted by Anti Federalist View Post
    Newark's mayor exploring universal basic income program

http://www.fox5ny.com/news/newark-un...l-basic-income

Posted Mar 14 2019 08:56AM EDT

Updated Mar 14 2019 09:53AM EDT

NEW JERSEY (FOX 5 NY) - Getting a paycheck for doing nothing could be in the future for residents of New Jersey's largest city.

Newark Mayor Ras Baraka says the city is going to study a pilot program to provide a universal basic income, or basically guaranteeing income for all residents whether they have a job.

He made the statement during his annual State of the City address Tuesday night at the New Jersey Performing Arts Center.

The city has launched a taskforce to see if the program is feasible with help from the Economic Security Project and the Jain Institute.

"We believe in Universal Basic Income, especially in a time where studies have shown that families that have a crisis of just $400 in a month may experience a setback that may be difficult even impossible to recover from," Baraka said.

He noted that a third of the city still lives in poverty. He didn't release any more details on the plan, like how it would be funded or when a final decision would be made.

There has not been a successful long-term Universal Basic Income program. A small basic-income program that was tested in Finland was ended after one year.

Baraka was re-elected last year to a second term as mayor of the city of 280,000 residents.
    They should just let Dick Cheney take over the town, rename everybody "Halliburton", and then call them all government contractors.
    9/11 Thermate experiments

Winston Churchhill on why the U.S. should have stayed OUT of World War I

"I am so %^&*^ sick of this cult of Ron Paul. The Paulites. What is with these %^&*^ people? Why are there so many of them?" YouTube rant by "TheAmazingAtheist"

"We as a country have lost faith and confidence in freedom." -- Ron Paul

"It can be a challenge to follow the pronouncements of President Trump, as he often seems to change his position on any number of items from week to week, or from day to day, or even from minute to minute." -- Ron Paul
    Quote Originally Posted by Brian4Liberty View Post
    The road to hell is paved with good intentions. No need to make it a superhighway.
    Quote Originally Posted by osan View Post
    The only way I see Trump as likely to affect any real change would be through martial law, and that has zero chances of success without strong buy-in by the JCS at the very minimum.

Maybe JMDrake will want to invest his UBI with Oyarde Financial too .
    Do something Danke

Is Newark nice in the summer?
    It's all about taking action and not being lazy. So you do the work, whether it's fitness or whatever. It's about getting up, motivating yourself and just doing it.
    - Kim Kardashian

Donald Trump / Crenshaw 2024!!!!

My pronouns are he/him/his

Quote Originally Posted by TheTexan View Post
    Is Newark nice in the summer?
    I do not think you can get Lone Star beer there .
    Do something Danke