Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Blood Type Diet

Blood Type Diet

I've decided to give it a shot. I thought about a month but I think I'm going to start with a week, per Ender's recommendation, and see how it goes first. I don't expect to see health benefits in a week but my energy should be up - I've been dragging ass lately. I'm not sure if it's a lazy spell or what but I've been a sloth.

Anyway, I figure there's no time like the present so I start today. If you would like to join in, look up your blood type and post your results. The more the merrier but I don't want it to get too crowed because A-'s should avoid crowds, lol.

I'm A- and plan on focusing on Callenetics (kinda like yoga) this week with light cardio. I'm usually cardio heavy but I've been wanting to get into more stretching and figure this would be a good time to start.

People with type A blood -- whether A-negative or A-positive -- are descended from ancient Asian and European vegetarian farmers, claims Peter D'Adamo, the creator of the Blood Type diet. According to D'Adamo, type A individuals are healthier and lose weight more easily if their diet reflects that of their ancestors. The NYU Langone Medical Center, however, recommends against the diet because it is not supported by scientific evidence and requires some individuals, including those with type A blood, to avoid whole categories of foods.
    Go Heavy on the Grains

Cereal grains and whole-grain products should be an important part of a type A individual's diet, says D'Adamo. Kasha, buckwheat, amaranth, Ezekiel and Essene breads, and flours such as rice, soy, oat and rye are the most beneficial. Barley, cornmeal, oatmeal, couscous, quinoa, spelt and all types of rice are also permitted. Season cooked grains with most herbs and spices, although red pepper flakes and cayenne aren't advised. Grains for type A people to avoid include all wheat flours, wheat germ, farina and semolina.
    Stick to Seafood

Based on the Blood Type diet's premise that a type A's ancestors were mainly agrarian vegetarians, D'Adamo advises them to avoid all beef, pork, lamb and game meats, and to eat lean cuts of chicken or turkey only occasionally. Instead, the type A diet should include up to four weekly servings of seafood, such as salmon, rainbow trout, cod, red snapper, whitefish, sardines or mackerel. Sea bass, swordfish, yellowtail, mahi mahi and albacore tuna are considered less beneficial, while clams, catfish, halibut, mussels, oysters, shrimp and calamari are not recommended.
    Pick Plant-Based Proteins

The majority of the protein a type A person consumes on the Blood Type diet is from plant-based sources, including nuts, seeds, beans and legumes. Dairy supposedly inhibits a type A's nutrient metabolism, but soy milk and soy cheese are acceptable. Pumpkin seeds, peanuts and peanut butter, lentils, black-eyed peas and black, pinto and red soy beans are the best choices, purports D'Adamo. Green beans and peas, poppy seeds, sesame seeds, sunflower seeds, almonds and walnuts are less highly recommended. A type A person following the plan should avoid cashews, pistachios and beans like kidney and lima beans, which are said to slow a type A's metabolism.
    Fill Up on Fruits and Vegetables

You'll eat plenty of produce as a type A person on the Blood Type diet. A typical day should include two to six servings of raw vegetables, one to six servings of cooked vegetables and three to four servings of fresh fruit. Focus primarily on produce such as spinach, broccoli, carrots, cherries, blackberries, blueberries, figs, grapefruit, pineapple, onions and garlic. Include dark leafy greens like kale, escarole and collard greens, although asparagus, beets, Brussels sprouts, sea vegetables, zucchini, leaf lettuce, apples, grapes, strawberries and watermelon can also be consumed. Avoid bananas, hot or sweet peppers, potatoes, cabbage, eggplant, tomatoes and oranges.

http://www.livestrong.com/article/29...egative-blood/

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Paul View Post
    The intellectual battle for liberty can appear to be a lonely one at times. However, the numbers are not as important as the principles that we hold. Leonard Read always taught that "it's not a numbers game, but an ideological game." That's why it's important to continue to provide a principled philosophy as to what the role of government ought to be, despite the numbers that stare us in the face.
    Quote Originally Posted by Origanalist View Post
    This intellectually stimulating conversation is the reason I keep coming here.

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Exercise plan for today - AM/PM Callenetics (I have the DVD) and 30 minutes at level one on the elliptical.

Food
    Breakfast: Oatmeal *gag* with blueberries
    snack: pear
    Lunch: Protein shake (I've got errands to run and that's easy to take)
    snack: grapefruit almonds
    Dinner: Kale salad and salmon with a glass of red wine
    late night snack: grapefruit

We'll see how well I stick to that plan later.

EDITED to add: I ended up having a handful of slivered almonds. I was at the grocery store and got hungry. What's weird is when I don't eat breakfast, I rarely get hungry but when I do eat breakfast I feel like I'm starving.

I also went ahead and ate dinner. I read you should try to consume the bulk of your calories before 5 and I'm going to try that. I'll probably have the grapefruit I was going to eat earlier for a snack later.
    Last edited by Suzanimal; 01-16-2017 at 03:48 PM.
    The intellectual battle for liberty can appear to be a lonely one at times. However, the numbers are not as important as the principles that we hold. Leonard Read always taught that "it's not a numbers game, but an ideological game." That's why it's important to continue to provide a principled philosophy as to what the role of government ought to be, despite the numbers that stare us in the face.

Good luck with it! Careful about cutting your food too much though- that can lead you to wanting to binge on bad things as "reward". Cutting intake too much also slows your metabolism (body thinks there is a food shortage so it slows down) which can interfere with trying to achieve your goals.

Cutting down to one drink a day:

I am type A, I did pretty good on a mostly vegetarian diet but I do much better on paleo.

I don't think that blood type is a fool proof indicator of what your diet should be, but it may very well be that people with certain blood types tend to be able to handle certain types of foods better than others because the tend to come from certain groups of people who were exposed to those foods. So it could be an indicator of what type of foods you can handle, but it might not work for everybody.

Ultimately I think that the healthiest diet goes back to what our ancestors ate a long time ago. But I think what happened is that over time, as we developed agriculture and such some humans were exposed to grains or dairy and some groups of people are more evolved to eat these things than others. I do ok eating vegetables, fruits, nuts, grains, dairy and occasional fish, but I do much better eating wild or pastured meats and vegetables and fruit. I think pretty much everybody runs more optimally on wild or pastured meats, vegetables and fruits, nuts and I still eat pastured dairy, but some people are able to handle grains and dairy better than others.
    Last edited by dannno; 01-16-2017 at 01:49 PM.
    "He's talkin' to his gut like it's a person!!" -me
    "dumpster diving isn't professional." - angelatc
    "You don't need a medical degree to spot obvious bullshit, that's actually a separate skill." -Scott Adams
    "When you are divided, and angry, and controlled, you target those 'different' from you, not those responsible [controllers]" -Q

"Each of us must choose which course of action we should take: education, conventional political action, or even peaceful civil disobedience to bring about necessary changes. But let it not be said that we did nothing." - Ron Paul

"Paul said "the wave of the future" is a coalition of anti-authoritarian progressive Democrats and libertarian Republicans in Congress opposed to domestic surveillance, opposed to starting new wars and in favor of ending the so-called War on Drugs."

I don't THINK you are on medication, @Suzanimal , but be careful if you are: grapefruit interacts with a significant number of pharmaceutical drugs.
    Genuine, willful, aggressive ignorance is the one sure way to tick me off. I wish I could say you were trolling. I know better, and it's just sad.

I am A - and my diet is mostly meat and greens same as has been for my people for hundreds of years . Closest I got to grains in the past week is a donut last Wed from the State St bakery.
    Do something Danke

There is no evidence that one's blood type prevents one from going either with or without meat. There is no nutritional need for meat in humans, however, if you enjoy the flavor then do what you want, it's not great to judge either way.

I've already started cutting down on the wine. I've been allowing myself 6 oz every other day. I've cheated a few times by having a glass on non wine nights but it was mostly by accident. It's just habit to pour myself a glass when I'm, getting dinner around.

I've actually eaten more today than I normally eat. I normally have a shake, a boiled egg, piece of fruit, or graze off of salad fixin's (cucumbers, cherry tomatoes, red bell peppers) for lunch and then have salad and some grilled protein for dinner.

Cj gave me the advice to eat little meals throughout the day and from what I've read, that's what I need to do. My weight isn't really a problem, it's where it's at that is. My ass is disappearing and I have a little belly - a wine belly, probably. Combined with the diet change, I'm also changing up my exercise routine. Cutting back on the cardio and doing more weights and ass exercises on youtube. As a matter of fact, I did a video today and my biscuits are burning.

Quote Originally Posted by Zippyjuan View Post
    Good luck with it! Careful about cutting your food too much though- that can lead you to wanting to binge on bad things as "reward". Cutting intake too much also slows your metabolism (body thinks there is a food shortage so it slows down) which can interfere with trying to achieve your goals.

Cutting down to one drink a day:

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by Suzanimal View Post
    I did a video today and my biscuits are burning.
    Which one?
    "You don't need a medical degree to spot obvious bullshit, that's actually a separate skill." -Scott Adams
    "When you are divided, and angry, and controlled, you target those 'different' from you, not those responsible [controllers]" -Q

"Each of us must choose which course of action we should take: education, conventional political action, or even peaceful civil disobedience to bring about necessary changes. But let it not be said that we did nothing." - Ron Paul

"Paul said "the wave of the future" is a coalition of anti-authoritarian progressive Democrats and libertarian Republicans in Congress opposed to domestic surveillance, opposed to starting new wars and in favor of ending the so-called War on Drugs."

Quote Originally Posted by MelissaWV View Post
    I don't THINK you are on medication, @Suzanimal , but be careful if you are: grapefruit interacts with a significant number of pharmaceutical drugs.
    I'm not but thanks for the heads up. My mom eats a lot of grapefruit and she takes a few pills. Not many considering her age but I'll check it out for her.

She takes
    synthroid
    amlodipine
    lysinaprill

I probably didn't spell any of those right but I don't feel like looking them up right now.

Quote Originally Posted by dannno View Post
    Which one?

I know lisinopril has no grapefruit interactions, and don't think steroids do.

Amlodipine definitely does. Take a gander at the label or the Rx insert.

(ETA: It's not utterly deadly, just can alter the way the medication works depending on how much juice she has and how sensitive she is to the medication. Sorry; didn't mean to sound doomsday-y.)
    @Suzanimal
    Last edited by MelissaWV; 01-16-2017 at 03:20 PM.
    Genuine, willful, aggressive ignorance is the one sure way to tick me off. I wish I could say you were trolling. I know better, and it's just sad.

Quote Originally Posted by Yieu View Post
    There is no evidence that one's blood type prevents one from going either with or without meat. There is no nutritional need for meat in humans, however, if you enjoy the flavor then do what you want, it's not great to judge either way.
    I figure it wouldn't hurt to give it a shot. I've felt really groggy lately and feel like I need to change something. As far as the science behind it goes, who knows but it's safe and if it helps me flatten my wine belly, then I'll say the science is good.

I know lisinopril has no grapefruit interactions, and don't think steroids do.

Amlodipine definitely does. Take a gander at the label or the Rx insert.

(ETA: It's not utterly deadly, just can alter the way the medication works depending on how much juice she has and how sensitive she is to the medication. Sorry; didn't mean to sound doomsday-y.)
    @Suzanimal
    She doesn't do juice, she eats the fruit. I'll have her call her doctor. She hasn't had any adverse reactions so far but I hate to risk it at her age.

I figure it wouldn't hurt to give it a shot. I've felt really groggy lately and feel like I need to change something. As far as the science behind it goes, who knows but it's safe and if it helps me flatten my wine belly, then I'll say the science is good.
    Precisely. We've had patients that decided on one diet or another because they liked the color on the website, or because the "lady on the book" looked like a relative of theirs. What matters is a health, helpful outcome

She doesn't do juice, she eats the fruit. I'll have her call her doctor. She hasn't had any adverse reactions so far but I hate to risk it at her age.
    Yeah, it can theoretically contribute to a slight extra dip in BP, which in the elderly is something that leads to falls. It's not one of those dire things, but it's something to think about. The worst interactions tend to be with statins (Lipitor, etc.).

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    That I can agree with for sure. Change can be a healthy way to get out of a rut, and diet is one of the most fundamental things we can change. I've found making a few small changes can be what's needed to lessen bloating or kick off a change in the composition of the body, so whatever works.

I am type A, I did pretty good on a mostly vegetarian diet but I do much better on paleo.

I don't think that blood type is a fool proof indicator of what your diet should be, but it may very well be that people with certain blood types tend to be able to handle certain types of foods better than others because the tend to come from certain groups of people who were exposed to those foods. So it could be an indicator of what type of foods you can handle, but it might not work for everybody.

Ultimately I think that the healthiest diet goes back to what our ancestors ate a long time ago. But I think what happened is that over time, as we developed agriculture and such some humans were exposed to grains or dairy and some groups of people are more evolved to eat these things than others. I do ok eating vegetables, fruits, nuts, grains, dairy and occasional fish, but I do much better eating wild or pastured meats and vegetables and fruit. I think pretty much everybody runs more optimally on wild or pastured meats, vegetables and fruits, nuts and I still eat pastured dairy, but some people are able to handle grains and dairy better than others.
    I agree with that and if it were saying I should go vegan, I wouldn't try it but I like fish and beans so I'm good with cutting out meat for awhile. We'll see how I feel by the end of the week.

It's strange that something as simple as grapefruit would do that.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grapef...g_interactions

Tylenol is one of the things affected, and a lot of people use that... is ibuprofen safer?
    Last edited by Yieu; 01-16-2017 at 03:54 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Yieu View Post
    It's strange that something as simple as grapefruit would do that.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grapef...g_interactions

Tylenol is one of the things affected, and a lot of people use that... is ibuprofen safer?
    Grapefruit is the biggest alarm bell, however some meds even react to any citrus whatsoever. With any pain reliever like that, you just have to weigh your risks. Harm your liver? Kidneys? Rough up your stomach? I wouldn't call any of them safe.

Anyhow, back to Suz's diet I just wanted to be sure she wasn't taking any of the kinds of drugs that would get screwed up by grapefruit. It would suck to put effort into a diet to get healthier only to have unexpected consequences like that.

Quote Originally Posted by oyarde View Post
    I am A - and my diet is mostly meat and greens same as has been for my people for hundreds of years . Closest I got to grains in the past week is a donut last Wed from the State St bakery.
    Mr Animal brought home FOUR DOZEN Krispy Kreme donuts last week. I let them keep a dozen and made my kids go around the cul-de-sac and give the rest away. What the hell was that man thinking?

Mr Animal brought home FOUR DOZEN Krispy Kreme donuts last week. I let them keep a dozen and made my kids go around the cul-de-sac and give the rest away. What the hell was that man thinking?
    This is how it happens to me as well , the coin shop I work at part time a couple days a week sometimes has a regular customer that will bring in 3 doz or so couple times a month and last week , one of the other employees did the same .
    Do something Danke

I'm not but thanks for the heads up. My mom eats a lot of grapefruit and she takes a few pills. Not many considering her age but I'll check it out for her.

She takes
    synthroid
    amlodipine
    lysinaprill

I probably didn't spell any of those right but I don't feel like looking them up right now.

Grapefruit will affect her synthroid

Quote Originally Posted by oyarde View Post
    This is how it happens to me as well , the coin shop I work at part time a couple days a week sometimes has a regular customer that will bring in 3 doz or so couple times a month and last week , one of the other employees did the same .
    He said the donuts were in his car when he left work. He thinks this old guy who comes in brought them for me and the kids. He used to be a customer of mine back when I was a bartender. I told him I liked watermelon once and every Sunday in the summer he sends me a watermelon via Mr Animal. He's a nice guy but four dozen's a little much.

28. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by Carlybee View Post
    Grapefruit will affect her synthroid
    Well, dang. I knew food could effect (affect? I never get those right) the synthroid but I had no idea certain foods were especially bad. I know she takes it on an empty stomach first thing and she takes the blood pressure stuff later. She quit smoking so I hope that will help her blood pressure and she can cut back on the meds.

Two donuts is too much. One donut is ok once in a while.

Well, dang. I knew food could effect (affect? I never get those right) the synthroid but I had no idea certain foods were especially bad. I know she takes it on an empty stomach first thing and she takes the blood pressure stuff later. She quit smoking so I hope that will help her blood pressure and she can cut back on the meds.
    I take natural thyroid and linosopril but only take the linosopril like every other day.

Yeah, doughnuts have a lot of sugar, and two doughnuts is enough sugar to upset the stomach.

I have one about once a year and only when it's the last one. I'm the kind of person who can say no all day long but I have trouble saying stop, if that makes sense.

I have one about once a year and only when it's the last one. I'm the kind of person who can say no all day long but I have trouble saying stop, if that makes sense.
    That's me, too. Strangely it's the same with exercise. Once I'm out hiking/walking/whatever, I can keep going at a pretty good pace for a really long time without getting tired or sore or anything. I have stamina for hiking... and eating. Dammit.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast