Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Novak urges Paul Independent run

Novak urges Paul Independent run

http://www.politics1.com/index.htm

PAUL: Congressman Ron Paul (R), appearing on CNN's Tucker, insisted he does not plan to make a third party run for President if he loses the GOP nomination race. "I have no intention of doing that. That is not a very attractive thing to do," he said. The comment still leaves Paul some wiggle room. Conservative columnist Robert Novak this week said Paul would consider continuing his Presidential campaign in the general election as an Independent -- but not as a third party nominee -- if he loses the Republican contest.
    My review of the For Liberty documentary:
    digg.com/d315eji
    (please Digg and post comments on the HuffPost site)

"This political train-wreck Republicans face can largely be traced to Bush’s philosophical metamorphosis from a traditional, non-interventionist conservative to the neoconservatives’ exemplar of a 'War President', and his positioning of the Republicans as the 'War Party'."

Nicholas Sanchez on Bush's legacy, September 30, 2007.

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bradley in DC View Post
    http://www.politics1.com/index.htm

PAUL: Congressman Ron Paul (R), appearing on CNN's Tucker, insisted he does not plan to make a third party run for President if he loses the GOP nomination race. "I have no intention of doing that. That is not a very attractive thing to do," he said. The comment still leaves Paul some wiggle room. Conservative columnist Robert Novak this week said Paul would consider continuing his Presidential campaign in the general election as an Independent -- but not as a third party nominee -- if he loses the Republican contest.
    That's always been my position. He's always said he won't run on a third party ticket, but nobody has ever asked (to my knowledge) if he'd run as an Independent. I'm still not sure he will, but I think there's a possibility.
    Freedom from the government!
    Freedom from the boss!
    And freedom from everyone else!
    Check out Holistic Politics for more info.

Quote Originally Posted by DrNoZone View Post
    That's always been my position. He's always said he won't run on a third party ticket, but nobody has ever asked (to my knowledge) if he'd run as an Independent. I'm still not sure he will, but I think there's a possibility.
    Incorrect: he keeps saying that he "doesn't have any plans" to run on a third party ticket, and that "it's not an attractive option". I keep searching and not finding him saying "I will not run on a third party ticket".

Quote Originally Posted by margomaps View Post
    Incorrect: he keeps saying that he "doesn't have any plans" to run on a third party ticket, and that "it's not an attractive option". I keep searching and not finding him saying "I will not run on a third party ticket".
    He won't have to: the Republicans aren't considered a third party.
    digg.com/d315eji

"This political train-wreck Republicans face can largely be traced to Bush’s philosophical metamorphosis from a traditional, non-interventionist conservative to the neoconservatives’ exemplar of a 'War President', and his positioning of the Republicans as the 'War Party'."

There is a problem with an Independant Run. NO BALLOT ACCESS. did anyone miss that point? The only way he can get ballot access in all 50 states outside the Dems and Reps is the Libertarian Party.
    Our delegates from louisiana will be writting in Ron Paul's name at the convention.
    Independent is an easier brand to market, but what good is a brand name if you can't get it on the store shelves.
    rewritten history with armies of their crooks - invented memories, did burn all the books... Mark Knopfler

plus he will get get blamed for getting hillary elected, when if he is not the candidate from the GOP then ANYONE on the dem side will win regardless!
    No one reads signatures.

Quote Originally Posted by steph3n View Post
    plus he will get get blamed for getting hillary elected, when if he is not the candidate from the GOP then ANYONE on the dem side will win regardless!
    GOP Guiliani
    Dem Clinton
    LP Paul

Paul could win... why? Guiliani and Clinton are 90% the same.... and that would be my attack strategy. It really is still two choices, Small Goverment or Big Government. Frame it that way... he has a chance outside GOP.
    rewritten history with armies of their crooks - invented memories, did burn all the books... Mark Knopfler

Cruel and unusual punnishment for the rambunctious "others". The mouse is gargling. Play fair.

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Not yet, but they will be if they don't nominate Paul.... the split that will occur if they nominate someone like Rudy instead of Paul will cause the GOP to go the way of the Whigs.

Quote Originally Posted by margomaps View Post
    You're mostly right. But I have heard him say he is "99.99% sure he isn't going to do that".

My point was that I've NEVER heard him say anything about running as an Independent. Either that he would, or wouldn't, consider it. But I have heard him numerous times say he is nearly 100% sure he won't run on a third party ticket.
    Freedom from the government!
    Freedom from the boss!
    And freedom from everyone else!
    Check out Holistic Politics for more info.

Interesting...

What about if Fred Thompson gets the ticket?

I almost wish Paul would just state once and for all that he will not run on a third party ticket. Force those independents over to the republican side.
    You get one chance America.
    “First they ignore you, then they laugh at you, then they fight you, then you win.”
    -Mohandas Karamchand Gandhi

Quote Originally Posted by Delivered4000 View Post
    Interesting...

Fred Thompson is still a big government guy, but he'd be harder to win against because his nomination wouldn't piss as many people off as a Rudy nomination would

Quote Originally Posted by Delivered4000 View Post
    Interesting...

That's what makes it tough. Granted Thompson is not a small-government conservative by any stretch of the imagination, but Thompson doesn't automatically lose the mass amount of supporters that Rudy would (pro-life & pro-gun). A Rudy vs Clinton general election will see a lot of Christians, pro-lifers & pro-gun voters sit out or vote for a third party candidate. A Thompson vs Clinton general election would be a more typical "vote for the lesser of two evils" race.

Many states (Texas specifically) do not allow candidates to seek the nomination of multiple parties. If he were to for some reason run as as the Libertarian or Constitution party nominee, he would not be on the Texas ballot for the general election. Since he is seeking the Republican nomination, he would be disqualified from seeking the nomination for the other parties. An independent run means you have no VP ticket. We need to make it a moot question.

Quote Originally Posted by torchbearer View Post
    There is a problem with an Independant Run. NO BALLOT ACCESS. did anyone miss that point? The only way he can get ballot access in all 50 states outside the Dems and Reps is the Libertarian Party.
    Our delegates from louisiana will be writting in Ron Paul's name at the convention.
    Independent is an easier brand to market, but what good is a brand name if you can't get it on the store shelves.
    Under LP bylaws, Paul can't receive the nomination unless he says that he will accept it:

"No candidate may be nominated for President or Vice-President who is ineligible under the United States Constitution, who has not expressed a willingness to accept the nomination of the Party, or who is not a member of the Party."

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by cjhowe View Post
    Many states (Texas specifically) do not allow candidates to seek the nomination of multiple parties. If he were to for some reason run as as the Libertarian or Constitution party nominee, he would not be on the Texas ballot for the general election. Since he is seeking the Republican nomination, he would be disqualified from seeking the nomination for the other parties. An independent run means you have no VP ticket. We need to make it a moot question.
    The libertarain party still has the ballot access in Texas. You don't actually vote for a candidate, you vote for a slate of electors. We could have Steve Kubby listed on the ballot, everyone will know its a Ron Paul marker because in that scenario, Paul is running on the LP ticket, so, the Libertarian slate of electors could still win Texas, and could still vote for Ron Paul at the electoral college.
    Texas can't really do $#@! about that....

Quote Originally Posted by stevedasbach View Post
    Under LP bylaws, Paul can't receive the nomination unless he says that he will accept it:

"No candidate may be nominated for President or Vice-President who is ineligible under the United States Constitution, who has not expressed a willingness to accept the nomination of the Party, or who is not a member of the Party."
    Well, it is a convention, could a motion be voted on at convention to amend? We are coming fully armed going to this convention. Its the Message over Party. What we want is freedom regardless of what label it carries....
    Last edited by torchbearer; 10-13-2007 at 09:43 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by cjhowe View Post
    You're right in that most states don't allow "fusion" tickets but for president it's different: we're not voting for president but for the president's slate of presidential electors (that's why Gore lost, remember?). States cannot, under the Constitution, interfere with the selection of people for the Electoral College. Even if there are different "names" for president under different parties, their votes could all go towards the same presidential electors.
    digg.com/d315eji

If we can't pull of the republican nomination forget a third party run. Ross Perot spent millions and millions on his campaign and didn't win a state. He recieved lots of votes- 17%. But a win is still a win. John Anderson in 1980 got 10% but didn't win a state.

Quote Originally Posted by klamath View Post
    If we can't pull of the republican nomination forget a third party run. Ross Perot spent millions and millions on his campaign and didn't win a state. He recieved lots of votes- 17%. But a win is still a win. John Anderson in 1980 got 10% but didn't win a state.
    Neither of those people had a grassroots organization like we do...

From Wiki:

Former Democratic Governor of Alabama George Wallace of the American Independent Party ran in the 1968 election. Wallace won 13% of the popular vote, receiving 45 electoral votes in the South and many votes in the North. No other third party candidate has won any states in the Electoral College since. Republican Richard Nixon won the election with 43% of the popular vote and 301 electoral votes.

Even wallace didn't have a grassroots organization like we do...and he got 45 electoral college votes with only 13% of the national vote.

Is it me, or is it setting up for another 3rd part election like in 1992? And we all know who won that one!

28. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by hummtide View Post
    Is it me, or is it setting up for another 3rd part election like in 1992? And we all know who won that one!
    Think furthur back in history, we are setting up a third party election like...oh lets' say.... when the GOP was a third party and the major two were the Whigs and the Dems. The GOP pulled the base away from the Whigs and became the new Big Party.
    If the GOP nominates Rudy.... we will see that happen again.

Quote Originally Posted by steph3n View Post
    You're right, and if I hear one more "great American" tell me that, I'm gonna slug someone.
    We elect our own oppressors.

Quote Originally Posted by Triton View Post
    You're right, and if I hear one more "great American" tell me that, I'm gonna slug someone.
    If Hillary gets elected, it is because people voted for her, not because someone ran against her... IF she gets no votes. she doesn't win... the object of the game is to get more electoral college votes. I believe the message is strong enough to survive outside the machine.

if its Hillary vs Rudy we'll just start a movement to draft Ron Paul. Do something like 20 mil for Ron in 1 month...shouldn't be that hard to raise considering at that point people will be looking for a 3rd choice

I dont see Paul losing the Rep nomination

Quote Originally Posted by ItsTime View Post
    I dont see Paul losing the Rep nomination
    I hope for the best, plan for the worst. I hope he wins the nomination, I'm working hard for it.... but I also spend some time in thought on what is the best course for us to take, if the nomination is not given to Dr. Paul.
    In Louisiana, over half the GOP delegates are hand-picked by Bush people. Do you think they are voting for Ron Paul? Even if Ron Paul won the popular vote in the Louisiana GOP Presidential Primary, he wouldn't have the majority of Delegates coming from this state. Its a rigged game from the beginning....
    Thus, I search history, and use my own political experience, to find successful routes we can take in the event that we can't overcome the mountain set before us...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast