Thread: Delaware to Become the 22nd State to Legalize Adult Use Marijuana

Delaware to Become the 22nd State to Legalize Adult Use Marijuana

Delaware to Become the 22nd State to Legalize Adult Use Marijuana

BY NORML
    APRIL 21, 2023

Democratic Gov. John Carney said that he will allow legislation (House Bill 1 and House Bill 2) to become law repealing state-level penalties for the possession of marijuana and establishing rules for a regulated marketplace.

House Bill 1 eliminates criminal and civil penalties for the possession of personal use quantities of cannabis flower and other products, including marijuana paraphernalia, for those age 21 or older. The use of cannabis in public remains penalized under the law and underage possession of cannabis remains subject to civil fines. House Bill 2 establishes a licensing system to regulate marijuana production and retail sales. It calls for the issuance of up to 30 initial retail marijuana licenses, 30 manufacturing licenses, 60 cultivation licenses, and five testing licenses.

The Governor indicated that he will allow both bills to become law absent his signature. The Governor last year vetoed a bill similar to HB 1.

“I came to this decision because I believe we’ve spent far too much time focused on this issue, when Delawareans face more serious and pressing concerns every day,” he said. “It’s time to move on.”
    read more:
    https://norml.org/blog/2023/04/21/de...use-marijuana/

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Good!

Now are they going to cancel all the weed convictions still doing time? Restore lost gun rights?

Quote Originally Posted by tod evans View Post
    Good!

Now are they going to cancel all the weed convictions still doing time? Restore lost gun rights?
    Are you kidding? They just fixed it so they stop getting murderers and thieves in the prisons, so their slave labor is worth more than ever.
    Quote Originally Posted by Swordsmyth View Post
    You only want the freedoms that will undermine the nation and lead to the destruction of liberty.

Quote Originally Posted by tod evans View Post
    Good!

They still have their 2nd amendment rights, it's just that the federal government doesn't recognize them.

I believe this is the real reason there has been no attempt to decriminalize it federally.

That's great and all. The government shouldn't be telling you what you can and can't put in your body. But you have to question why this is happening nationwide all of a sudden. I firmly believe that the government wants to keep it's citizens high, complacent and stupid so they are easier to control. So while I think it should be legal, I don't think you should use it.

Quote Originally Posted by 69360 View Post
    That's great and all. The government shouldn't be telling you what you can and can't put in your body. But you have to question why this is happening nationwide all of a sudden. I firmly believe that the government wants to keep it's citizens high, complacent and stupid so they are easier to control. So while I think it should be legal, I don't think you should use it.
    What do you mean all of a sudden? It's been more like a slow trickle of states legalizing since 2012 and in the majority of those states it was legalized by passing a ballot measure. Only 8 of the 22 states legalized through state legislature and I'm pretty it was done for reasons besides keeping the population stupid. It mostly has to do with public opinion on the issue and politicians wanted to get re-elected by supporting positions that the public supports.
    Last edited by jct74; 04-22-2023 at 10:29 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Dr.3D View Post
    They still have their 2nd amendment rights, it's just that the federal government doesn't recognize them.

I believe this is the real reason there has been no attempt to decriminalize it federally.
    Federal decrim strips DEA/ATF/FBI/IRS (with assistance of NSA building "parallel construction") of the ability to raid, loot and pillage, then hide behind legalese and a big wall of "national security" secrecy and bureaucratic red tape. That is their entire business model.
    Last edited by devil21; 04-23-2023 at 02:27 AM.
    "Let it not be said that we did nothing."-Ron Paul

"We have set them on the hobby-horse of an idea about the absorption of individuality by the symbolic unit of COLLECTIVISM. They have never yet and they never will have the sense to reflect that this hobby-horse is a manifest violation of the most important law of nature, which has established from the very creation of the world one unit unlike another and precisely for the purpose of instituting individuality."- A Quote From Some Old Book

Quote Originally Posted by jct74 View Post
    It mostly has to do with public opinion on the issue and politicians wanted to get re-elected by supporting positions that the public supports.
    Don't forget tax revenue
    You have the right to remain silent. Anything you post to the internet can and will be used to humiliate you.

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by Voluntarist View Post
    Don't forget tax revenue
    True. But the tax revenue has always been there if politicians wanted to take advantage of it. The reason why so many politicians openly support legalization now is because the public support for it has grown so much in the last decade especially.

Also I think another factor is racial justice has become a much bigger issue now than say a decade ago. It's not really high up on my reasons for supporting legalization but it is an effective argument to make and Ron Paul has been one of the politicians out in front doing that.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5dBA63Wl-hg#t=2m51s

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A6rxts0-f9w#t=4m53s