Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dear RPF I have just made one of the biggest mistakes of my life

Dear RPF I have just made one of the biggest mistakes of my life

I bought a new wash machine and had the old, broken down one disposed. Would have cost the same to fix it as a new washing machine.

Now I know the error I've made.

It would have been better just to fix the old one, because it actually washed clothes, since this was before all those new government regulations that prevent washing machines from doing wash.

The new wash machine broke on the first day.

Now I don't have a wash machine.

Now I smell.
    A savage barbaric tribal society where thugs parade the streets and illegally assault and murder innocent civilians, yeah that is the alternative to having police. Oh wait, that is the police

We cannot defend freedom abroad by deserting it at home.
    - Edward R. Murrow

...I think we have moral obligations to disobey unjust laws, because non-cooperation with evil is as much as a moral obligation as cooperation with good. - MLK Jr.

How to trigger a liberal: "I didn't get vaccinated."

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Find a Laundromat Near You! - http://findalaundry.org/

Sorry you smell . I have a new washer but if I did not I would just put a tub and a washboard out next to the well for lucky Mrs . O .

Quote Originally Posted by oyarde View Post
    Sorry you smell . I have a new washer but if I did not I would just put a tub and a washboard out next to the well for lucky Mrs . O .
    Wow, you have a washing machine that doubles as a dish washer and a snow thrower?

Quote Originally Posted by Warrior_of_Freedom View Post
    I bought a new wash machine and had the old, broken down one disposed. Would have cost the same to fix it as a new washing machine.

It would have been better just to fix the old one, because it actually washed clothes, since this was before all those new government regulations that prevent washing machines from doing wash.

Now I smell.
    I have a washer and a dryer that I bought off Craigslist for $50. We were so broke I cried but they wouldn't sell just the washer. (I can hang clothes to dry.) That was about 6 years ago. I had to spend $75 2 years ago to put a new motor in the dryer but things were better by then. I could have bought a new dryer but they're ridiculously expensive. So my dryer is probably 20 years old but the motor is new.

Quote Originally Posted by Dr.3D View Post
    Wow, you have a washing machine that doubles as a dish washer and a snow thrower?
    She made me buy her a dishwasher and I have to shovel the snow , she is just mean like that .

She made me buy her a dishwasher and I have to shovel the snow , she is just mean like that .
    Do you have to mow the lawn too?

Quote Originally Posted by Dr.3D View Post
    Do you have to mow the lawn too?
    Yes because she breaks my tractor if I let her . Only reason I do not have to do laundry is she thinks I cannot do it right . I encourage that .

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    If is middle of summer and really hot you could probably hang clothing up in the sun and practically sterilize it .

//
    Last edited by The Northbreather; 09-18-2017 at 11:04 PM.

Wait, I thought my girl washes my clothes...

There's a machine involved?

If is middle of summer and really hot you could probably hang clothing up in the sun and practically sterilize it .
    Stains come out good that way too

If this is one of the biggest mistakes you made in your life, I want your life.
    Pfizer Macht Frei!

Openly Straight Man, Danke, Awarded Top Rated Influencer. Community Standards Enforcer.

Quiz: Test Your "Income" Tax IQ!

Short Income Tax Video

The Income Tax Is An Excise, And Excise Taxes Are Privilege Taxes

The Federalist Papers, No. 15:

Except as to the rule of appointment, the United States have an indefinite discretion to make requisitions for men and money; but they have no authority to raise either by regulations extending to the individual citizens of America.

There are still decent washers out there. We had the same issue, old washer and dryer tore up, replaced with a HE style. Never liked it, it left most of us with skin problems seemed that the detergent wasn't getting out of the clothes.

Sold it about 2 years later to someone who needed one, and bought another HE washer, but this one with more manual controls such as water level selector and multiple rinse cycles. Always use max water and 2nd rinse and it's worked great ever since.
    No - No - No - No

I feel your pain brother.

I got saddled with one of the "green" washers a few years ago now.

Been replaced at least once under warranty as a total loss.

All to "efficiently" clean in an earth friendly manner: which you have now found out "clean" means dirty and musty smelling.

I call it the dirtier machine.

I hate that thing with a purple passion beyond all reasonable and logical reasoning.

$#@! a bunch of computer appliances and the internet of things.

Quote Originally Posted by asurfaholic View Post
    There are still decent washers out there. We had the same issue, old washer and dryer tore up, replaced with a HE style. Never liked it, it left most of us with skin problems seemed that the detergent wasn't getting out of the clothes.

Sold it about 2 years later to someone who needed one, and bought another HE washer, but this one with more manual controls such as water level selector and multiple rinse cycles. Always use max water and 2nd rinse and it's worked great ever since.
    So, a "high efficiency" washer leads to increased water and fuel use.

Grrrrrrrr.

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Yes because she breaks my tractor if I let her .
    I think women purposefully do stuff like that to avoid certain types of work.

Quote Originally Posted by asurfaholic View Post
    There are still decent washers out there.
    fwiw, I have been nothing but pleased with our made in America maytag commercial washer and dryer. They don't have all the fancy gauges, options, blinking lights and computer doodads. It has manual controls. And they both came with a 10yr warranty by default. And they weren't even the most expensive options available.

Quote Originally Posted by Danke View Post
    As do I, I would have to go back a long way to get to this point.
    "The Patriarch"

Quote Originally Posted by Danke View Post
    I dunno, I have some fond memories of some of my biggest mistakes.

Quote Originally Posted by Anti Federalist View Post
    I feel your pain brother.

I got saddled with one of the "green" washers a few years ago now.

Been replaced at least once under warranty as a total loss.

All to "efficiently" clean in an earth friendly manner: which you have now found out "clean" means dirty and musty smelling.

I call it the dirtier machine.

I hate that thing with a purple passion beyond all reasonable and logical reasoning.

$#@! a bunch of computer appliances and the internet of things.
    Internet of Things. Thats why the new one costs more but the parts are crappier than your last decent model.

The words "Woods" and "Throw" come to mind, especially IoT.
    1776 > 1984

The FAILURE of the United States Government to operate and maintain an
    Honest Money System , which frees the ordinary man from the clutches of the money manipulators, is the single largest contributing factor to the World's current Economic Crisis.

The Elimination of Privacy is the Architecture of Genocide

Belief, Money, and Violence are the three ways all people are controlled

Quote Originally Posted by Zippyjuan View Post
    Our central bank is not privately owned.

Quote Originally Posted by The Northbreather View Post
    Wait, I thought my girl washes my clothes...

There's a machine involved?
    Last one I bought cost as much as my first car .

Quote Originally Posted by Warrior_of_Freedom View Post

Now I smell.
    Would you pay double or more for a washing machine if it came with a 20 year full warranty ?
    "I am a bird"

Quote Originally Posted by specsaregood View Post
    I dunno, I have some fond memories of some of my biggest mistakes.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AmIlUKo4dQc

28. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    I would buy an old machine from craigslist before investing in a new one.

Better strategy yet is to agree to take a washer/dryer from an affluent friend (who hopefully has good personal habits) when they buy a new set.

And be very enthusiastic about their prospects in buying a new set.

My rule of thumb is to never buy a washer/dryer that has a push button control panel. That means that it has a circuit board and a microprocessor. What you want for reliability is the old mechanical timer with the big knob. They still sell those where I live. Probably not in Kalifornia.

Quote Originally Posted by sparebulb View Post

Better strategy yet is to agree to take a washer/dryer from an affluent friend (who hopefully has good personal habits) when they buy a new set.

My rule of thumb is to never buy a washer/dryer that has a push button control panel. That means that it has a circuit board and a microprocessor. What you want for reliability is the old mechanical timer with the big knob. They still sell those where I live. Probably not in Kalifornia.
    My new Speed Queen has dial nobs and metal gears .

My new Speed Queen has dial nobs and metal gears .
    I have been told that Speed Queen is by far the best machine on the market.

If I buy a new one, it would definitely be SQ.
    Last edited by sparebulb; 09-19-2017 at 09:34 AM.

Well, the only downside to having an old washing machine is that you're very likely to look at it for years to come. If you get a new one, well, in a few years you can go for a different look again.
    "I am a bird"

Quote Originally Posted by luctor-et-emergo View Post
    Would you pay double or more for a washing machine if it came with a 20 year full warranty ?
    Yup I'd pay $1000 for a simple top loader that I know would last 20 years, instead of pay $500-600 a pop every 4 years now for a crappy one. Apparently all of them use less water now, which sucks. Not only because my clothes probably won't come out as clean, but also because I hate the environment.
    A savage barbaric tribal society where thugs parade the streets and illegally assault and murder innocent civilians, yeah that is the alternative to having police. Oh wait, that is the police

- Edward R. Murrow

...I think we have moral obligations to disobey unjust laws, because non-cooperation with evil is as much as a moral obligation as cooperation with good. - MLK Jr.

Those damn mechanical timers wear out over time though. My old washer's had to be replace twice

- Edward R. Murrow

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast