View Poll Results: Current White House staffing is based on meritocracy or nepotism?

Voters
6. You may not vote on this poll
  • Meritocracy

0 0%
  • Nepotism

1 16.67%
  • Not sure/confused/other

5 83.33%

Thread: In your view, current White House staffing is based on meritocracy or nepotism?

In your view, current White House staffing is based on meritocracy or nepotism?

In your view, current White House staffing is based mostly on meritocracy or nepotism/personal friendships/personal loyalty etc?

Potentially Related

Exclusive: FBI counterintel investigating Ivanka Trump business deal

By Sara Murray, Shimon Prokupecz and Kara Scannell, CNN

Thu March 1, 2018

(CNN)US counterintelligence officials are scrutinizing one of Ivanka Trump's international business deals, according to two sources familiar with the matter.

https://www.cnn.com/2018/03/01/polit...ion/index.html

Jared Kushner Met With Two Executives at the White House, Then Their Companies Loaned Him $500 Million. Coincidence?

By Elliot Hannon
    Feb 28, 2018

Walking conflict of interest Jared Kushner intermingled his public and private personas while camped out in the West Wing, according to a New York Times report Wednesday that appeared to show Trump’s son-in-law using his position in the White House to preserve his real estate business interests. The Times reported two instances over the past year where Kushner met with executives from financial companies at the White House and then later secured hundreds of millions of dollars in loans from those companies.

Kushner met with Joshua Harris, a founder of Apollo Global Management who was also advising the Trump administration on infrastructure, during Harris’ regular visits to the White House during the early days of the Trump administration. Then, last November, Apollo lent Kushner’s family real estate firm $184 million to refinance the mortgage on a Chicago skyscraper. “Even by the standards of Apollo, one of the world’s largest private equity firms,” the Times notes, “the previously unreported transaction with the Kushners was a big deal: It was triple the size of the average property loan made by Apollo’s real estate lending arm, securities filings show.” In a second instance, Kushner got an even larger loan of $325 million from Citigroup in the spring of 2017, just months after Donald Trump took office. The money to finance office buildings in Brooklyn came shortly after Citigroup CEO Michael L. Corbat met with Kushner to discuss financial and trade policy at the White House.
    The meetings and subsequent business dealings with the financial companies raise serious ethical questions about Kushner, particularly given both had something to gain from the relationship.

https://slate.com/news-and-politics/...ater-than.html

Omarosa says she tried to be 'the voice of reason' in Trump White House
    Seattle Times 10h ago

President Trump Wants His Personal Pilot to Run the FAA Because America is a Meritocracy

Monday 7:00am
    The politics website Axios reports that the short list includes names like Missouri Congressman Sam Graves and current acting FAA Administrator Dan Elwell. But the name that’s raising eyebrows is John Dunkin, President Trump’s personal pilot since 1989. Dunkin has reportedly already been interviewed for the position.

“He’s on the list because he’s the president’s pilot, but if he gets the job it won’t be because he’s the president’s pilot,” an anonymous source from the Trump regime told Axios.

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Some of both, which is typical.

Trump's choices of family members is more obvious than some politicians but a mixture of meritocracy and nepotism/loyalistism is how the world works.
    Never attempt to teach a pig to sing; it wastes your time and annoys the pig.

Robert Heinlein

Give a man an inch and right away he thinks he's a ruler

Groucho Marx

I love mankind…it’s people I can’t stand.

Linus, from the Peanuts comic

You cannot have liberty without morality and morality without faith

Alexis de Torqueville

Those who fail to learn from the past are condemned to repeat it.
    Those who learn from the past are condemned to watch everybody else repeat it

A Zero Hedge comment

Quote Originally Posted by Swordsmyth View Post
    Some of both, which is typical.

Trump's choices of family members is more obvious than some politicians but a mixture of meritocracy and nepotism/loyalistism is how the world works.
    Basides Steve Bannon and McMaster, are you able to name a few merit based hired staff of current WH?

Quote Originally Posted by enhanced_deficit View Post
    Basides Steve Bannon and McMaster, are you able to name a few merit based hired staff of current WH?
    Without endorsing their policies I would say Kelly, Mattis and Flynn (not current).

I don't keep track of the WH staff very much but I'm sure there are plenty of examples of both meritocracy and nepotism/loyalistism.

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

Ok cool. Looks like bisides Mattis , all are out or being pushed out because they had problems with family members who remain and are being trated 'very unfairly' by the merit staff apparently.
    Loyalists are more important to retaining power than meritists, if the meritists are undermining the administration then they should go, the important question is who will replace them.

Of course if the loyalists are corrupt then they are also a danger to the administration and should be given the boot too.

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

I would imagine nepotism since those are the people you think you trust .

"Other," namely flattery

Whoever flatters The Donald is great, wonderful, and terrific in The Donald's eyes.

Naturally, that brings some nepotism into the picture as well, but flattery is the essence of it.

Even when Trump isn't personally making staff decisions, he's delegating those decisions to existing staffers on the basis of flattery.

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by dannno View Post
    It's a balance between appeasing his supporters, appeasing the deep state and reaching his own goals.
    ~Resident Badgiraffe

Quote Originally Posted by r3volution 3.0 View Post
    "Other," namely flattery

Whoever flatters The Donald is great, wonderful, and terrific in The Donald's eyes.

Naturally, that brings some nepotism into the picture as well, but flattery is the essence of it.

Even when Trump isn't personally making staff decisions, he's delegating those decisions to existing staffers on the basis of flattery.

To be fair, his VP Pence was not picked based on flattery and seems to genuinely appreciate Trump's stunning leadership.. despite some critics claims.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Eljb6U0eA0

To be fair, his VP Pence was not picked based on flattery and seems to genuinely appreciate Trump's stunning leadership.. despite some critics claims.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Eljb6U0eA0
    Basically, Pence is the VP because he was the biggest name, mainstream GOPer who pretended to like Trump in public.

Quote Originally Posted by William Tell View Post
    Incidentally, she had replaced this guy:

Scaramucci blasts ‘General Jackass’ Kelly for driving away Trump staff

By Avery Anapol - 03/01/18

© Taylor Lorenz

Ex-Trump aide Anthony Scaramucci blasted chief of staff John Kelly as “General Jackass” on Thursday, accusing him of pushing out top White House aides.

"Does the president want to lose everyone because of General Jackass?” the former White House communications director said during an interview with Bloomberg News.

Scaramucci was fired by Kelly after just 11 days on the job, after the New Yorker published his expletive-laden tirade against former White House strategist Stephen Bannon and former White House chief of staff Reince Priebus.

His comments come the day after communications director Hope Hicks announced she would leave the administration. Deputy communications director Josh Raffel also announced he was stepping down this week.

Scaramucci has made other public comments blaming the high departure rate on Kelly, who he says has created an environment with “terrible” morale in the White House. He again called for the chief of staff to resign."There will be a further evacuation of talent,” Scaramucci told Bloomberg. “The guy is a bad dude. Fear and intimidation doesn’t work in a civilian organization.”
    In his interview with Bloomberg, Scaramucci accused Kelly, a retired Marine general, of limiting his access to President Trump and said that he is concerned Kelly will try to interfere with his efforts to sell his stake in SkyBridge Capital, a deal that has been stalled in a government office.

http://thehill.com/homenews/administ...ay-trump-staff

Related

John Kelly: Leaving DHS to Work in Trump's White House Was Punishment From God
    New York Magazine Mar 1, 2018

White House chief of staff John Kelly said on Thursday that “God punished” him when he left the Department of Homeland Security to go to work in the White House as President Trump’s chief of staff.
    The comment came at a celebration for DHS’s 15th anniversary and was preceded by Kelly rolling his eyes like a surly teen when he alluded to the drama that surrounds him in the West Wing.
    “I miss every one of you, every day,” Kelly said, rolling his eyes.
    “Truly, at six months, the last thing I wanted to do is walk away from one of the great honors of my life, being the secretary of Homeland Security, but I did something wrong and God punished me, I guess,” he said.

Probably how much merit you can nep.

Quote Originally Posted by r3volution 3.0 View Post
    Basically, Pence is the VP because he was the biggest name, mainstream GOPer who pretended to like Trump in public.
    @dannno was Trump's first choice, but his hair is more fabulous than the Donald's.