Thread: Group of Texas GOP Activists Challenge Cruz's Eligibility for Senate

Group of Texas GOP Activists Challenge Cruz's Eligibility for Senate

A group of Republican voters in Texas have filed an official challenge to the constitutional eligibility of Senator Ted Cruz (R-Texas; shown) to run for another term.
    Calling themselves “Oust Cruz 2018,” the GOP voters joined in the effort to preclude the former presidential candidate from serving the Lone Star State in the U.S. Senate and have filed documents with various sate officials seeking a ruling on the issue of the Canadian-born Cruz’s eligibility.
    Ted Cruz is up for re-election in 2018 and the activists of the Oust Cruz 2018 plan to prevent his even appearing on the ballot. Here’s how they explain the sitting senator’s alleged disqualification:
    GOP voters in Texas learned in May 2014, that they were defrauded by Rafael Edward (Ted) Cruz in the 2012 senate race. In short, it became public knowledge that Rafael Edward (Ted) Cruz was a legal citizen of Canada when he ran for U.S. Senate and won in a crazy runoff in 2012. Had Texas voters and campaign donors known that Cruz remained a legal citizen of Canada as of 2012, it is highly unlikely that they would have voted for or contributed to the Cruz for Senate campaign in 2012.
    To appear on the 2012 ballot for U.S. Senate in 2012, Cruz had to file an application claiming under oath and penalty of perjury, that he was a legal citizen of the United States, eligible for the office he was seeking and he did. He failed to disclose to Texas election officials, voters and donors that he was in fact, still a legal citizen of Canada at that time and until May 14, 2014.
    He must file a similar application again in 2018 to run for reelection to the U.S. Senate, or he cannot appear on the Texas ballot. To date, Sen. Cruz has refused to release any authenticated proof of documented U.S. citizenship.

First, as to the claim that Cruz “remained a legal citizen of Canada as of 2012,” the group points out — correctly — that Cruz did not formally denounce his Canadian citizenship until May 14, 2014. As was widely reported, Ted Cruz, through a spokeswoman, “formally gave up his [Canadian] citizenship May 14.” Cruz added that he was “pleased to have the process finalized” and that it “makes sense he should be only an American citizen.”
    The members of Oust Cruz 2018 think it made sense in 2014, but it should have made sense earlier, or Cruz was ineligible to serve as a senator in 2012, two years before Cruz went through the legal process to give up his Canadian citizenship.
    Article I, Section 3 of the U.S. Constitution makes it very clear that “No person shall be a Senator who shall not have attained to the age of thirty years, and been nine years a citizen of the United States and who shall not, when elected, be an inhabitant of that state for which he shall be chosen.”
    While some Texas political blogs are insisting that “many Cruz fans think this challenge is a personal attack against Sen. Ted Cruz,” the plain, impartial fact of the matter is that when it comes to the offices created by the Constitution, the Constitution establishes the qualifications for holding that office. If Ted Cruz was not a “formally” a citizen of the United States in 2012 — as he himself claimed in 2014 — then he was not qualified to hold the office he was seeking.
    In his defense, during his presidential campaign, Senator Cruz offered letters from friends at Harvard University School of Law claiming that Cruz is a legal citizen of Canada and the United States regardless of the lack of documentation establishing that opinion.

More at: https://www.thenewamerican.com/usnew...ity-for-senate
    Never attempt to teach a pig to sing; it wastes your time and annoys the pig.

Robert Heinlein

Give a man an inch and right away he thinks he's a ruler

Groucho Marx

I love mankind…it’s people I can’t stand.

Linus, from the Peanuts comic

You cannot have liberty without morality and morality without faith

Alexis de Torqueville

Those who fail to learn from the past are condemned to repeat it.
    Those who learn from the past are condemned to watch everybody else repeat it

A Zero Hedge comment

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Birtherism- round Three is it now? This has absolutely no legal basis. This was argued when he was running for President (which has a higher standard of citizenship- "natural born"- than the Senate which only says at least nine years a citizen).

Ted Cruz was born in Canada but his mother was a US citizen which made him a US citizen by birth. Canada also offering him citizenship does not mean he was not a US citizen nor does that preclude him from running for the US Senate.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...=.2f13f3e0f107

Ted Cruz was born in Canada. His mother was a U.S. citizen. His father, a Cuban, was not. Under U.S. law, the fact that Cruz was born to a U.S. citizen mother makes him a citizen from birth. In other words, he is a “natural born citizen” (as opposed to a naturalized citizen) and is constitutionally eligible.
    Constitutional requirements to be a Senator:

No Person shall be a Senator who shall not have attained to the Age of thirty Years, and been nine Years a Citizen of the United States, and who shall not, when elected, be an Inhabitant of that State for which he shall be chosen.
    https://www.senate.gov/civics/consti...nstitution.htm

If Ted Cruz was not a “formally” a citizen of the United States in 2012 — as he himself claimed in 2014 — then he was not qualified to hold the office he was seeking.
    As a citizen by birth, he was "formally" a citizen of the United States his whole life.
    Last edited by Zippyjuan; 09-07-2017 at 03:08 PM.

This again? I thought we already determined here he was not natural born (lol Zippy using WaPo saying otherwise). His citizenship is determined not by birth but by legislation which says the US Citizenship of his mother makes him a US citizen, i.e. he is a naturalized citizen. I think its a fair challenge, the oath of office for every senator reads: "I will support and defend the Constitution of the United States against all enemies, foreign and domestic; that I will bear true faith and allegiance to the same". Having dual citizenship calls into question the allegiance to the US constitution.
    I just want objectivity on this forum and will point out flawed sources or points of view at my leisure.

Quote Originally Posted by spudea on 01/15/24
    Trump will win every single state primary by double digits.
    Quote Originally Posted by spudea on 04/20/16
    There won't be a contested convention
    Quote Originally Posted by spudea on 05/30/17
    The shooting of Gabrielle Gifford was blamed on putting a crosshair on a political map. I wonder what event we'll see justified with pictures like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Zippyjuan View Post
    Birtherism round Three is it now? This has absolutely no legal basis.

Ted Cruz was born in Canada but his mother was a US citizen which made him a US citizen by birth. Canada also offering him citizenship does not mean he was not a US citizen nor does that preclude him from running for the US Senate.

As a citizen by birth, he was "formally" a citizen of the United States his whole life.
    Yes, he is a US citizen, naturalized under Congress' power to do so. That WaPo drivel about him being NBC is BS though, Rogers v Bellei (1971) should clear that rot right up.
    Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Ryan
    In Washington you can see them everywhere: the Parasites and baby Stalins sucking the life out of a once-great nation.

Quote Originally Posted by spudea View Post
    This again? I thought we already determined here he was not natural born (lol Zippy using WaPo saying otherwise). His citizenship is determined not by birth but by legislation which says the US Citizenship of his mother makes him a US citizen, i.e. he is a naturalized citizen. I think its a fair challenge, the oath of office for every senator reads: "I will support and defend the Constitution of the United States against all enemies, foreign and domestic; that I will bear true faith and allegiance to the same". Having dual citizenship calls into question the allegiance to the US constitution.
    Naturalized means someone is not a citizen by birth but had to apply to become a citizen. Since he was born to a US mother, he was a citizen by birth and was not naturalized.

Naturalized means someone is not a citizen by birth but had to apply to become a citizen. Since he was born to a US mother, he was a citizen by birth and was not naturalized.
    Jus sanguinis, citizen at birth, and Jus soli, citizen by birth are completely different. You can't even keep your terms right, you used to say Cruz was citizen at birth now you are saying he is citizen by birth???

Careful or Jan2017 will come back, once you lost the argument you stopped posting in this thread: http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthr...uz+citizenship

Quote Originally Posted by Chester Copperpot View Post
    Thanks to Zippy's line of questioning it seems we have solved the riddle of Cruz's ineligibility and it seems Ted Cruz is NOT eligible [for president] after all....

Thank you Zippy... Im going to call up your wise overlords over at the southern poverty law center and tell them what a fantastic help youve been to solving this problem.. Wont they be so happy Im sure.

If it wasn't a problem, why should Cruz need to renounce his Canadian citizenship at all????
    Last edited by spudea; 09-07-2017 at 11:48 AM.
    I just want objectivity on this forum and will point out flawed sources or points of view at my leisure.

The shooting of Gabrielle Gifford was blamed on putting a crosshair on a political map. I wonder what event we'll see justified with pictures like this.

If it wasn't a problem, why should Cruz need to renounce his Canadian citizenship at all????
    Because people made a big deal out of it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Swordsmyth View Post
    Pinochet is the model
    Liberty preserving authoritarianism.
    Enforced internal open borders was one of the worst elements of the Constitution.

Citizenship is not automatic just because your mother is a USC. He was ELIGIBLE to become a USC at birth. Derivative citizenship is a complicated business. I would know. I used to work for Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE).
    There are only two things we should fight for. One is the defense of our homes and the other is the Bill of Rights. War for any other reason is simply a racket.
    -Major General Smedley Butler, USMC,
    Two-Time Congressional Medal of Honor Winner
    Author of, War is a Racket!

It is not that I am mad, it is only that my head is different from yours.
    - Diogenes of Sinope

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    "Texas GOP Actvists"

Associates of Karl Rove? McConnell? Bush? Who is funding them?
    "Foreign aid is taking money from the poor people of a rich country, and giving it to the rich people of a poor country." - Ron Paul
    "Beware the Military-Industrial-Financial-Pharma-Corporate-Internet-Media-Government Complex." - B4L update of General Dwight D. Eisenhower
    "Debt is the drug, Wall St. Banksters are the dealers, and politicians are the addicts." - B4L
    "Totally free immigration? I've never taken that position. I believe in national sovereignty." - Ron Paul

Proponent of real science.
    The views and opinions expressed here are solely my own, and do not represent this forum or any other entities or persons.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian4Liberty View Post
    "Texas GOP Actvists"

Associates of Karl Rove? McConnell? Bush? Who is funding them?
    And who do they want to replace him with?
    Someone worse? or better?
    Never attempt to teach a pig to sing; it wastes your time and annoys the pig.

Robert Heinlein

Give a man an inch and right away he thinks he's a ruler

Groucho Marx

I love mankind…it’s people I can’t stand.

Linus, from the Peanuts comic

You cannot have liberty without morality and morality without faith

Alexis de Torqueville

Those who fail to learn from the past are condemned to repeat it.
    Those who learn from the past are condemned to watch everybody else repeat it

A Zero Hedge comment

Birtherism round Three is it now? This has absolutely no legal basis.

But he was born in Canada
    It's all about taking action and not being lazy. So you do the work, whether it's fitness or whatever. It's about getting up, motivating yourself and just doing it.
    - Kim Kardashian

Donald Trump / Crenshaw 2024!!!!

My pronouns are he/him/his

Having dual citizenship calls into question the allegiance to the US constitution.
    If Ted Cruz really loves America so much, he should give up Canada citizenship

If he doesnt he can get out
    It's all about taking action and not being lazy. So you do the work, whether it's fitness or whatever. It's about getting up, motivating yourself and just doing it.
    - Kim Kardashian

Quote Originally Posted by TheTexan View Post
    But he was born in Canada
    Which is why Canada declared him a citizen just like somebody born here would be given US citizenship. But his mother was American so the US also said he is a citizen here. He was unaware that Canada considered him a citizen until a few years ago. He was a citizen of both countries- a dual citizen.
    Last edited by Zippyjuan; 09-07-2017 at 02:24 PM.

If Ted Cruz really loves America so much, he should give up Canada citizenship

If he doesnt he can get out
    He did. Which means the non- issue is even less of an issue. http://www.cnn.com/2014/06/11/politi...hip/index.html

It's official: Ted Cruz a citizen of the U.S. - and the U.S. only

It's official. Sen. Ted Cruz is now a citizen of the United States -- and the United States only.

If you remember, the Texas Republican was born in Canada to an American mother and a Cuban father. As such, he was a dual citizen -- an American because of his mother, and Canadian because the country, like America, grants automatic citizenship to anyone born there.

No harm in that, except Cruz is considered a potential candidate for the 2016 GOP presidential nomination. And when the news of his dual citizenship surfaced last year, thanks to a Dallas Morning News piece, some began to question his eligibility to become president. (In truth, that was never in jeopardy. Most legal experts said Cruz qualifies as a "natural born citizen," a requirement for the White House job, as stated in the Constitution.)

The newspaper piece came as a revelation to Cruz as well.

"Because I was a U.S. citizen at birth, because I left Calgary when I was 4 and have lived my entire life since then in the U.S., and because I have never taken affirmative steps to claim Canadian citizenship, I assumed that was the end of the matter,
    " Cruz said at the time.

Then he took immediate steps to renounce his Canadian citizenship.

Well, that process was formally completed last month, and he received a letter in the mail this week telling him so, the newspaper reported Tuesday.

"This is to certify that the person named above has formally renounced Canadian citizenshp and pursuant to the Citizenship Act will cease to be a citizen on" May 14, 2014, the letter read.

"it's official y'all," tweeted his spokeswoman Catherine Frazier.

He did. Which means the non- issue is even less of an issue. http://www.cnn.com/2014/06/11/politi...hip/index.html
    But his father is Cuban
    - Kim Kardashian

And who do they want to replace him with?
    Someone worse? or better?
    Most likely someone approved by McConnell, US Chamber of Commerce, AIPAC.
    "Foreign aid is taking money from the poor people of a rich country, and giving it to the rich people of a poor country." - Ron Paul
    "Beware the Military-Industrial-Financial-Pharma-Corporate-Internet-Media-Government Complex." - B4L update of General Dwight D. Eisenhower
    "Debt is the drug, Wall St. Banksters are the dealers, and politicians are the addicts." - B4L
    "Totally free immigration? I've never taken that position. I believe in national sovereignty." - Ron Paul

Proponent of real science.
    The views and opinions expressed here are solely my own, and do not represent this forum or any other entities or persons.

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    But his father is Cuban
    So Cuba could also consider him a citizen if they wanted to. He could have tri-citizenship. Doesn't mean he isn't a US Citizen.

Ted Cruz was born in Canada but his mother was a US citizen which made him a US citizen by birth.
    Seems to me that would not make Cruz a citizen by birth. I thought by birth meant you had to be born on US soil.

Ted Cruz was born in Canada but his mother was a US citizen which made him a US citizen by birth.

Jus sanguinis, citizen at birth, and Jus soli, citizen by birth are completely different. You can't even keep your terms right, you used to say Cruz was citizen at birth now you are saying he is citizen by birth???
    I don't know much about this, but ZippyJuan did use two different terms: at birth and by birth (see his quotes below).

Either way, I would not believe ZippyJuan. He is on this forum to make contrary posts. He knows nothing about this subject and is furiously researching away to be contrary.

Here are ZippyJuan's posts with two different terms. Do they mean two totally different things? I don't know.

Bold emphasis mine:

But since Cruz was a US citizen by birth...
    Cruz acquired his citizenship at birth...
    Last edited by NorthCarolinaLiberty; 09-07-2017 at 03:34 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by TheCount View Post
    ...I believe that when the government is capable of doing a thing, it will.
    Quote Originally Posted by Influenza View Post
    which one of yall fuckers wrote the "ron paul" racist news letters
    Quote Originally Posted by Dforkus View Post
    Zippy's posts are a great contribution.

Disrupt, Deny, Deflate. Read the RPF trolls' playbook here (post #3): http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthr...eptive-members

You bored today?

Seems to me that would not make Cruz a citizen by birth. I thought by birth meant you had to be born on US soil.
    I don't know much about this,
    Let me help:

http://immigration.findlaw.com/citiz...-by-birth.html

Generally speaking, a person can become a U.S. citizen in one of four ways. First, by being born in the United States or one of its territories. Second, if you were born to parents who are U.S. citizens, then you may be a U.S. citizen yourself. This process is called "acquisition" of citizenship. Third, you can be a citizen through the naturalization process, which generally involves applying for, and passing, a citizenship test. Lastly, you may be a citizen if one or both of your parents have been naturalized. This is called "derivation" of citizenship.
    In a number of situations, if you were born to parents, at least one of whom was a U.S. citizen at the time of your birth, you automatically gained U.S. citizenship through the process of acquisition. It does not matter whether you were born on American soil or foreign. As well, if you have children, those children will also acquire U.S. citizenship through you at their birth. Additionally, foreign-born adoptees to U.S. citizens also may claim U.S. citizenship.
    Last edited by Zippyjuan; 09-07-2017 at 03:41 PM.

Let me help:
    I already know that. My wife is from another country and also has dual citizenship. We got married in her country while I was over there. We processed all the papers ourselves without hiring a lawyer (just got a NOLO book and used USCIS website). We're currently petitioning my mother-in-law.

You don't know the difference between at birth and by birth.

You bored today?
    You annoyed today? I don't even get paid to reply to you.

Last edited by NorthCarolinaLiberty; 09-07-2017 at 03:52 PM.

Disrupt, Deny, Deflate. Read the RPF trolls' playbook here (post #3): http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthr...eptive-members

You just proved yourself wrong with your own source. Citizenship through parents is by acquisition, not by birth.

You just proved yourself wrong with your own source. Citizenship through parents is by acquisition, not by birth.
    There is no difference other than semantics. Of course if you were not born you could not have acquired any citizenship.

Quote Originally Posted by NorthCarolinaLiberty View Post
    I already know that. My wife is from another country and also has dual citizenship. We got married in her country while I was over there. We processed all the papers ourselves without hiring a lawyer (just got a NOLO book and used USCIS website). We're currently petitioning my mother-in-law.

You don't know the difference between at birth and by birth.

Perhaps you can explain the difference to us. How does that impact citizenship?
    Last edited by Zippyjuan; 09-07-2017 at 04:00 PM.

There is no difference other than semantics.

Is this even serious? If I'm a lawyer talking to a client, then I think that using "at birth" versus "by birth" is certainly going to make a difference. "Semantics" is just a word people use when they have to cover their lack of knowledge about something.

Perhaps you can explain the difference to us.
    "Us." LOL. Who is us? You mean your other Soros friends here with red rep bars?

28. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by NorthCarolinaLiberty View Post
    Is this even serious? If I'm a lawyer talking to a client, then I think that using "at birth" versus "by birth" is certainly going to make a difference. "Semantics" is just a word people use when they have to cover their lack of knowledge about something.
    I see. You can't explain the difference. Thanks anyways.

I see. You can't explain the difference. Thanks anyways.

Already been explained. Do you know the difference? It seems you don't know since you use the terms interchangeably. If you don't know, then why do you want to know?
    Last edited by NorthCarolinaLiberty; 09-07-2017 at 04:38 PM.

So Cuba could also consider him a citizen if they wanted to. He could have tri-citizenship. Doesn't mean he isn't a US Citizen.
    Well, until I see a long-form document proving renunciation of any Cuban citizenship, he can't be a United States Senator IMO
    - Kim Kardashian

Well, until I see a long-form document proving renunciation of any Cuban citizenship, he can't be a United States Senator IMO
    LOL!

Perhaps you can explain the difference to us. How does that impact citizenship?
    One requires a statute enacted by Congress under its power to naturalize to exist and is wholely dependent on that statute, and the other is not.
    Last edited by fedupinmo; 09-08-2017 at 06:54 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Ryan
    In Washington you can see them everywhere: the Parasites and baby Stalins sucking the life out of a once-great nation.

So, Cruz lived in Canada until four years of age...

How do I apply for Canadian Citizenship?
    Be a Permanent Resident (PR)
    Have lived in Canada as a PR for at least 4 years out of the 6 years (1,460 days) before you apply
    Be physically present in Canada for at least 183 days of each year during the 4-year period
    http://settlement.org/ontario/immigr...n-citizenship/

There are a few ways you can become a Canadian citizen without applying to be one. In these cases, you may still want to get proof of citizenship.

You likely are a Canadian citizen if you…

were born in Canada
    http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/citizen...ules/index.asp

A noncommercial collection of information about citizenship, dual citizenship and multiple citizenship

CUBA

CITIZENSHIP: The basis for Cuban citizenship laws was not provided.

BY BIRTH: Child born within the territory of Cuba, regardless of the nationality of the parents.

BY DESCENT: Child born abroad, at least one of whose parents is a citizen of Cuba.

BY NATURALIZATION: Data not provided.

DUAL CITIZENSHIP: NOT RECOGNIZED.

LOSS OF CITIZENSHIP: Many countries automatically revoke citizenship upon a person's acquisition of a foreign citizenship, but this is known not to always be the case in Cuba. Former citizens of Cuba should not assume that acquisition of a new nationality has released them from obligations and responsibilities associated with Cuban citizenship.

VOLUNTARY: Voluntary loss of citizenship is permitted by Cuban law; however, it is necessary to first acquire the permission of the Council of State.

INVOLUNTARY: The following is grounds for involuntary loss of Cuban citizenship: Person serves in an enemy armed force during time of war.
    http://www.multiplecitizenship.com/wscl/ws_CUBA.html

On the Meaning of “Natural Born Citizen”

The Naturalization Act of 1790 expanded the class of citizens at birth to include children born abroad of citizen mothers as long as the father had at least been resident in the United States at some point.
    https://harvardlawreview.org/2015/03...-born-citizen/
    The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding one’s self in the ranks of the insane.” — Marcus Aurelius

They’re not buying it. CNN, you dumb bastards!” — President Trump 2020

Consilio et Animis de Oppresso Liber