Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A new system of government

A new system of government

@TER

What I am going to propose here is meant for a Federation like the US, I would make some changes to it for a single nation or at the state level.

ALL power with the exception of a few powers that need to be limited should be vested in a Steward who is basically an elected monarch who can be removed by the Electoral College or impeached for crimes by Congress.

The Steward's term should be indefinite and last until he is removed, impeached or retires.

Any vote to remove the Steward should trigger an Electoral College election but you could allow them to appoint a caretaker Steward until the election takes place.

Each state should have elections for the two Electoral College votes that represent its Senators but those that represent House members should be divided up on a proportional basis nationally.

Each candidate for the Electoral College should be able to personally win as many EC votes as he can so he doesn't need to recruit hundreds of would be Electors.

When the Electoral College meets after an Election they should all meet in one place and hold multiple votes if necessary until they achieve a majority for one Steward candidate who may be an Elector, only if they are unable to come to a majority after X number of votes should the House get to choose between the two who received the most votes on the final EC ballot.

Those powers that require the consent of Congress should include the power to declare war, the power to take on debt (probably with increased limits like those in some balanced budget proposals), the power to raise taxes (but NOT the power to lower them), the power to enter into Treaties (which should require a majority in the House in addition to 2/3rds of the Senate) and the power to amend the Constitution.
    Feel free to propose others.

The Steward should be able to remove judges with the advice and consent of the Senate just like appointing them.

The Electoral College should be subject to a recall vote that can be triggered by the voters or by a group of state governments that represents an electoral majority (perhaps something like 60%) or by a supermajority (2/3rds or more) in both houses of Congress and have to run for office either every 6-10 years OR every year.
    (The argument for every year is that that is about the extent of the public's attention span)
    Never attempt to teach a pig to sing; it wastes your time and annoys the pig.

Robert Heinlein

Give a man an inch and right away he thinks he's a ruler

Groucho Marx

I love mankind…it’s people I can’t stand.

Linus, from the Peanuts comic

You cannot have liberty without morality and morality without faith

Alexis de Torqueville

Those who fail to learn from the past are condemned to repeat it.
    Those who learn from the past are condemned to watch everybody else repeat it

A Zero Hedge comment

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Wouldn't Obama still be President?
    "He's talkin' to his gut like it's a person!!" -me
    "dumpster diving isn't professional." - angelatc
    "You don't need a medical degree to spot obvious bullshit, that's actually a separate skill." -Scott Adams
    "When you are divided, and angry, and controlled, you target those 'different' from you, not those responsible [controllers]" -Q

"Each of us must choose which course of action we should take: education, conventional political action, or even peaceful civil disobedience to bring about necessary changes. But let it not be said that we did nothing." - Ron Paul

"Paul said "the wave of the future" is a coalition of anti-authoritarian progressive Democrats and libertarian Republicans in Congress opposed to domestic surveillance, opposed to starting new wars and in favor of ending the so-called War on Drugs."

Quote Originally Posted by dannno View Post
    I doubt it.

He would have been gone by 2010.

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

He might not have even won.
    And we might have gotten some Electors for Ron.

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

Coolidge might have stayed in office long enough to prevent FDR.

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

Taft might have stayed in office long enough to keep Wilson out.

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

@TER

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

Quote Originally Posted by Swordsmyth View Post
    @TER

What I am going to propose here is meant for a Federation like the US, I would make some changes to it for a single nation or at the state level.

ALL power with the exception of a few powers that need to be limited should be vested in a Steward who is basically an elected monarch who can be removed by the Electoral College or impeached for crimes by Congress.

The Steward's term should be indefinite and last until he is removed, impeached or retires.

Any vote to remove the Steward should trigger an Electoral College election but you could allow them to appoint a caretaker Steward until the election takes place.

Each state should have elections for the two Electoral College votes that represent its Senators but those that represent House members should be divided up on a proportional basis nationally.

Each candidate for the Electoral College should be able to personally win as many EC votes as he can so he doesn't need to recruit hundreds of would be Electors.

When the Electoral College meets after an Election they should all meet in one place and hold multiple votes if necessary until they achieve a majority for one Steward candidate who may be an Elector, only if they are unable to come to a majority after X number of votes should the House get to choose between the two who received the most votes on the final EC ballot.

Those powers that require the consent of Congress should include the power to declare war, the power to take on debt (probably with increased limits like those in some balanced budget proposals), the power to raise taxes (but NOT the power to lower them), the power to enter into Treaties (which should require a majority in the House in addition to 2/3rds of the Senate) and the power to amend the Constitution.
    Feel free to propose others.

The Steward should be able to remove judges with the advice and consent of the Senate just like appointing them.

The Electoral College should be subject to a recall vote that can be triggered by the voters or by a group of state governments that represents an electoral majority (perhaps something like 60%) or by a supermajority (2/3rds or more) in both houses of Congress and have to run for office either every 6-10 years OR every year.
    (The argument for every year is that that is about the extent of the public's attention span)
    I like many aspects to this proposal!
    +
    'These things I command you, that you love one another.' - Jesus Christ

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by TER View Post
    I like many aspects to this proposal!
    I've been working on it for years but I'm always interested in ways to improve it, if you have any ideas let me know.

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

When do you bring in the philosopher-kings?
    "It's probably the biggest hoax since Big Foot!" - Mitt Romney 1-16-2012 SC Debate

Quote Originally Posted by tfurrh View Post
    When do you bring in the philosopher-kings?
    Those would be the great Stewards, whose memories and adoration will last a millennia!
    +
    'These things I command you, that you love one another.' - Jesus Christ

Quote Originally Posted by TER View Post
    Those would be the great Stewards, whose memories and adoration will last a millennia!
    Sounds more like Nimrod to me.
    Liberty is lost through complacency and a subservient mindset. When we accept or even welcome automobile checkpoints, random searches, mandatory identification cards, and paramilitary police in our streets, we have lost a vital part of our American heritage. America was born of protest, revolution, and mistrust of government. Subservient societies neither maintain nor deserve freedom for long.
    Ron Paul 2004

Registered Ron Paul supporter # 2202
    It's all about Freedom

Quote Originally Posted by pcosmar View Post
    Sounds more like Nimrod to me.
    Not hardly.

It is not a hereditary monarchy held by force.

Before you spout your usual heresy about all rulers being chosen by the devil I will just put this here:

Daniel
    Chapter 4

17 This matter is by the decree of the watchers, and the demand by the word of the holy ones: to the intent that the living may know that the most High ruleth in the kingdom of men, and giveth it to whomsoever he will...

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

You should read the Vision in that Book,, and understand where ALL empires end.

and then realize you are wiggling toes.
    Liberty is lost through complacency and a subservient mindset. When we accept or even welcome automobile checkpoints, random searches, mandatory identification cards, and paramilitary police in our streets, we have lost a vital part of our American heritage. America was born of protest, revolution, and mistrust of government. Subservient societies neither maintain nor deserve freedom for long.
    Ron Paul 2004

Registered Ron Paul supporter # 2202
    It's all about Freedom

Quote Originally Posted by pcosmar View Post
    You should read the Vision in that Book,, and understand where ALL empires end.
    That's a nice deflection.

All human governments will end sooner or later but that doesn't mean we shouldn't attempt to make the best ones we can until GOD's Kingdom is established globally at his return.

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Kinda sounds like a Constitutional Monarchy?
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Constitutional_monarchy

A constitutional monarchy is a form of monarchy in which the sovereign exercises authority in accordance with a written or unwritten constitution.[1] while the Legislative Power is exercised by a Parliament, usually elected by citizens. Constitutional monarchy differs from absolute monarchy (in which a monarch holds absolute power) in that constitutional monarchs are bound to exercise their powers and authorities within the limits prescribed within an established legal framework. Constitutional monarchies range from countries such as Morocco, Jordan, Kuwait and Bahrain, where the constitution grants substantial discretionary powers to the sovereign, to countries such as Japan and Sweden where the monarch retains no formal authorities.

Constitutional monarchy may refer to a system in which the monarch acts as a non-party political head of state under the constitution, whether written or unwritten.[2] While most monarchs may hold formal authority and the government may legally operate in the monarch's name, in the form typical in Europe the monarch no longer personally sets public policy or chooses political leaders. Political scientist Vernon Bogdanor, paraphrasing Thomas Macaulay, has defined a constitutional monarch as "A sovereign who reigns but does not rule".[3]

In addition to acting as a visible symbol of national unity, a constitutional monarch may hold formal powers such as dissolving parliament or giving royal assent to legislation. However, the exercise of such powers is largely strictly in accordance with either written constitutional principles or unwritten constitutional conventions, rather than any personal political preference imposed by the sovereign. In The English Constitution, British political theorist Walter Bagehot identified three main political rights which a constitutional monarch may freely exercise: the right to be consulted, the right to encourage, and the right to warn. Many constitutional monarchies still retain significant authorities or political influence however, such as through certain reserve powers, and may also play an important political role.

The United Kingdom and the other Commonwealth realms are all constitutional monarchies in the Westminster system of constitutional governance. Two constitutional monarchies – Malaysia and Cambodia – are elective monarchies, wherein the ruler is periodically selected by a small electoral college.

v/s a Constitutional Republic:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Republic

A republic (Latin: res publica) is a form of government in which the country is considered a “public matter”, not the private concern or property of the rulers. The primary positions of power within a republic are not inherited, but are attained through democracy, oligarchy or autocracy. It is a form of government under which the head of state is not a hereditary monarch.[1][2][3]

In the context of American constitutional law, the definition of republic refers specifically to a form of government in which elected individuals represent the citizen body[2][better source needed] and exercise power according to the rule of law under a constitution, including separation of powers with an elected head of state, referred to as a constitutional republic[4][5][6][7] or representative democracy.[8]

We're being governed ruled by a geriatric Alzheimer patient/puppet whose strings are being pulled by an elitist oligarchy who believe they can manage the world... imagine the utter maniacal, sociopathic hubris!

Quote Originally Posted by Pauls' Revere View Post
    Kinda sounds like a Constitutional Monarchy?
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Constitutional_monarchy

A constitutional monarchy is a form of monarchy in which the sovereign exercises authority in accordance with a written or unwritten constitution.[1] while the Legislative Power is exercised by a Parliament, usually elected by citizens. Constitutional monarchy differs from absolute monarchy (in which a monarch holds absolute power) in that constitutional monarchs are bound to exercise their powers and authorities within the limits prescribed within an established legal framework. Constitutional monarchies range from countries such as Morocco, Jordan, Kuwait and Bahrain, where the constitution grants substantial discretionary powers to the sovereign, to countries such as Japan and Sweden where the monarch retains no formal authorities.

Constitutional monarchy may refer to a system in which the monarch acts as a non-party political head of state under the constitution, whether written or unwritten.[2] While most monarchs may hold formal authority and the government may legally operate in the monarch's name, in the form typical in Europe the monarch no longer personally sets public policy or chooses political leaders. Political scientist Vernon Bogdanor, paraphrasing Thomas Macaulay, has defined a constitutional monarch as "A sovereign who reigns but does not rule".[3]

In addition to acting as a visible symbol of national unity, a constitutional monarch may hold formal powers such as dissolving parliament or giving royal assent to legislation. However, the exercise of such powers is largely strictly in accordance with either written constitutional principles or unwritten constitutional conventions, rather than any personal political preference imposed by the sovereign. In The English Constitution, British political theorist Walter Bagehot identified three main political rights which a constitutional monarch may freely exercise: the right to be consulted, the right to encourage, and the right to warn. Many constitutional monarchies still retain significant authorities or political influence however, such as through certain reserve powers, and may also play an important political role.

The United Kingdom and the other Commonwealth realms are all constitutional monarchies in the Westminster system of constitutional governance. Two constitutional monarchies – Malaysia and Cambodia – are elective monarchies, wherein the ruler is periodically selected by a small electoral college.

v/s a Constitutional Republic:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Republic

A republic (Latin: res publica) is a form of government in which the country is considered a “public matter”, not the private concern or property of the rulers. The primary positions of power within a republic are not inherited, but are attained through democracy, oligarchy or autocracy. It is a form of government under which the head of state is not a hereditary monarch.[1][2][3]

In the context of American constitutional law, the definition of republic refers specifically to a form of government in which elected individuals represent the citizen body[2][better source needed] and exercise power according to the rule of law under a constitution, including separation of powers with an elected head of state, referred to as a constitutional republic[4][5][6][7] or representative democracy.[8]
    It's a blending of the two.

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

Judgements should be able to be overturned by Congress and/or the President with the advice and consent of the Senate.

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

Judgements should be able to be overturned by Congress and/or the President with the advice and consent of the Senate.
    First part I agree. Both houses can overturn with 3/5 majority (conditional somehow/way)as not to clog the Congress with endless attempts to overturn. i.e. An issue can be visited once every 7 years. This may however, warrant its own body of government. A separate branch/body which does just this. Perhaps we would need to have judges elected in the lower courts like congressional representatives are.

We're being governed ruled by a geriatric Alzheimer patient/puppet whose strings are being pulled by an elitist oligarchy who believe they can manage the world... imagine the utter maniacal, sociopathic hubris!

First part I agree. Both houses can overturn with 3/5 majority (conditional somehow/way)as not to clog the Congress with endless attempts to overturn. i.e. An issue can be visited once every 7 years. This may however, warrant its own body of government. A separate branch/body which does just this. Perhaps we would need to have judges elected in the lower courts like congressional representatives are.
    Congress would have much less to do in my system and could simply ignore any appeals they didn't want as SCOTUS does.

Lower court judges being elected is not something I like but perhaps the people of their district could be given a veto vote after the President and the Senate choose and approve them.

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

Congress would have much less to do in my system and could simply ignore any appeals they didn't want as SCOTUS does.

Lower court judges being elected is not something I like but perhaps the people of their district could be given a veto vote after the President and the Senate choose and approve them.
    Congressional seats would be highly contested and campaigning for those would be out of control. Its a lot of power in congress (which I can see as good) but we would also need some campaign reform. Otherwise it would run a muck. No chance of Joe Q. Public getting elected.

Congressional seats would be highly contested and campaigning for those would be out of control. Its a lot of power in congress (which I can see as good) but we would also need some campaign reform. Otherwise it would run a muck. No chance of Joe Q. Public getting elected.
    That's always a problem under any elective system, I don't think it would be worse in my system though.

Most power would rest with the Electoral College and the Steward and I think most of the competition would be for them.

I do have a way to make it easier to break into the House or the EC though, make all House seats/votes (I would let each member win multiple votes so that we don't have to find so many good men) be awarded in a nation-wide election in which each candidate receives votes in proportion to their share of the vote.
    In an election for 435 house seats/House connected EC votes you would need less than 1/4 of 1% to get a seat.

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

That's always a problem under any elective system, I don't think it would be worse in my system though.

Most power would rest with the Electoral College and the Steward and I think most of the competition would be for them.

I do have a way to make it easier to break into the House or the EC though, make all House seats/votes (I would let each member win multiple votes so that we don't have to find so many good men) be awarded in a nation-wide election in which each candidate receives votes in proportion to their share of the vote.
    In an election for 435 house seats/House connected EC votes you would need less than 1/4 of 1% to get a seat.
    I would support a lower threshold to obtain seats and kinda like the idea of a parliamentary system like Europe. Where they have multiple parties holding seats in the house/congress. Imagine if the Constitution Party actually held 5% of the congressional seats and the Libertarians held another 5%, Dems and GOP split the remaining 90%.

28. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    I would support a lower threshold to obtain seats and kinda like the idea of a parliamentary system like Europe. Where they have multiple parties holding seats in the house/congress. Imagine if the Constitution Party actually held 5% of the congressional seats and the Libertarians held another 5%, Dems and GOP split the remaining 90%.
    That's the idea, the small parties would no longer be seen as pointless and would have a much easier time growing and be able to force concessions from the large parties even while they were small.

I want to go farther and allow individuals to hold multiple seats like I said though because then the small parties don't need to find hundreds of candidates.
    Dr. Ron could have held 5% voting power in the House all by himself. (Or more)

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

That's the idea, the small parties would no longer be seen as pointless and would have a much easier time growing and be able to force concessions from the large parties even while they were small.

I want to go farther and allow individuals to hold multiple seats like I said though because then the small parties don't need to find hundreds of candidates.
    Dr. Ron could have held 5% voting power in the House all by himself. (Or more)
    So, you could have a house of only 20 people? 5% voting power each?

So, you could have a house of only 20 people? 5% voting power each?
    If that's how voters distributed their votes.

You could have a House with 2 people.

Remember that the swamp has an easier time finding empty suits than we do patriots.

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

@TER @Pauls' Revere @dannno
    We should have multiple agencies assigned to investigate all politicians and government workers.

At least:

1 chosen by the executive
    1 chosen by the majority in Congress
    1 chosen by the minority in Congress
    1 directly elected

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

Ya I'm all for government transparency.

I don't care that much if some guy had sex with a 17 year old on Epstein's island.

I DO care a LOT if they had sex with very young children and were doing Satanic ceremonies with children.

But as for the first guy, if he is making tyrannical laws in government or he is some corporate leader, financer, banker, media mogul or entertainer and they are doing the bidding of the deep state to further erode our liberties.. and he is doing so because he is being blackmailed over having sex with a 17 year old, then that's important to get out in the open.. I don't even think he needs to go to jail, they just need to have everything out in the open to significantly weaken the blackmailing operation which is impacting all of us.
    "He's talkin' to his gut like it's a person!!" -me
    "dumpster diving isn't professional." - angelatc
    "You don't need a medical degree to spot obvious bullshit, that's actually a separate skill." -Scott Adams
    "When you are divided, and angry, and controlled, you target those 'different' from you, not those responsible [controllers]" -Q

"Each of us must choose which course of action we should take: education, conventional political action, or even peaceful civil disobedience to bring about necessary changes. But let it not be said that we did nothing." - Ron Paul

"Paul said "the wave of the future" is a coalition of anti-authoritarian progressive Democrats and libertarian Republicans in Congress opposed to domestic surveillance, opposed to starting new wars and in favor of ending the so-called War on Drugs."

Ya I'm all for government transparency.

I don't care that much if some guy had sex with a 17 year old on Epstein's island.

I DO care a LOT if they had sex with very young children and were doing Satanic ceremonies with children.

But as for the first guy, if he is making tyrannical laws in government or he is some corporate leader, financer, banker, media mogul or entertainer and they are doing the bidding of the deep state to further erode our liberties.. and he is doing so because he is being blackmailed over having sex with a 17 year old, then that's important to get out in the open.. I don't even think he needs to go to jail, they just need to have everything out in the open to significantly weaken the blackmailing operation which is impacting all of us.
    Extra transparency should be an occupational hazard.

If you do or have done something you don't want anyone to know about then don't run for office.

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast