Thread: "Historic Storm" To Bury Southern Appalachians In Snow; Expect Massive Travel Disruptions

"Historic Storm" To Bury Southern Appalachians In Snow; Expect Massive Travel Disruptions

Ed Vallee, head meteorologist at Vallee Weather Consulting, has certainly been on his weather game this year. Last month, his forecasts correctly pointed to a number of cross-country storms and unprecedented cold weather that punished the East Coast.
    Now, his forecasts point to a new danger. Winter Storm Diego will travel through the southern US with a swath of snow, sleet and freezing rain from the southern Plains to the Ozarks, southern Appalachians, and parts of the Mid Atlantic late this week into early next week.
    A winter storm will take shape across the Four Corners region of the U.S. late this week, and will move across the southern tier of the United States into the weekend. This sets the stage for an impactful early season storm in areas that typically don’t receive abundant winter weather. Snow and ice will impact the Panhandle of Texas and western Oklahoma Friday night into Saturday. As it moves eastward, it will pick up Gulf of Mexico moisture and allow for heavy snow and ice in the western Carolinas and western Virginia along the I-81, I-77, and I-85 corridors Saturday night through Monday. This looks to bring wintry impacts to cities such as Charlotte, NC, Raleigh, NC, Roanoke, VA, and Asheville, NC - all areas that typically average 14 inches of snow or less (all except Roanoke, VA average less than 7 inches) per year. This storm may provide those amounts or even more, particularly in areas west of I-77 in North Carolina, and along the I-81 corridor in southwest Virginia, said Vallee.
    Rain, thunderstorms and wintry participation are expected across the southeastern US on Saturday.

The storm is likely to "pack quite a punch in the South Central states this weekend," said Accuweather, adding that "it may hit like a sledgehammer over portions of the Southeast states from Saturday night to Monday."
    This may be a historic storm in parts of NC and VA this weekend. European ensemble data is suggesting a wide area of 12"+ of snow, which is more than the seasonal normal snowfall in many areas outside of the mountains. #ncwx #vawx #scwx pic.twitter.com/5yx1UkoW0r
    — Ed Vallee | Vallee Wx Consulting (@EdValleeWx) December 5, 2018
    "In areas from the mountains of western North Carolina to parts of southern West Virginia and western and central Virginia, this will be a major storm with the potential for a foot or more of snow," according to AccuWeather Senior Meteorologist Brian Wimer.

This massive storm also has the potential to bring an icy mix to the Delmarva Peninsula. Sleet and freezing rain can be extremely dangerous and could complicate driving conditions on the I-95 across the Baltimore–Washington metropolitan area. Heavy wet snow and icy conditions are anticipated to bring widespread power outages across the affected areas.
    In the Deep South, there are risks of severe storms, flash flooding, and travel disruptions in the I-10 and I-20 corridors of the Southeast, as well as in the coastal areas of the Carolinas and the southeastern corner of Virginia.

Accuweather winter storm scenario maps:

More at: https://www.zerohedge.com/news/2018-...el-disruptions
    Never attempt to teach a pig to sing; it wastes your time and annoys the pig.

Robert Heinlein

Give a man an inch and right away he thinks he's a ruler

Groucho Marx

I love mankind…it’s people I can’t stand.

Linus, from the Peanuts comic

You cannot have liberty without morality and morality without faith

Alexis de Torqueville

Those who fail to learn from the past are condemned to repeat it.
    Those who learn from the past are condemned to watch everybody else repeat it

A Zero Hedge comment

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Due to global warming winter storm san diego will cripple the southern appalachia with two feet of snow and a wind full of Wendigos . The bread and milk are out . May God help these souls .
    Last edited by oyarde; 12-06-2018 at 10:42 PM.
    Do something Danke

We will be enjoying Sunny Day Francisco while this is happening.
    Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Ryan
    In Washington you can see them everywhere: the Parasites and baby Stalins sucking the life out of a once-great nation.

Quote Originally Posted by oyarde View Post
    Due to global warming winter storm san diego will cripple the southern appalachia with two feet of snow and a wind full of Wendigos . The bread and milk are out . May God help these souls .
    They are calling for 12"-18" in my area of the Carolinas. The plant I work for wants us (3rd shift) to work overtime and come in Sat. night just as the storm hits at 10pm. What do you suppose the roads will look like by 6am? Then they want us to come in for our regular shift at 10pm Sunday after storming all day. Lol. I think they are being optimistic about whether enough people will show up to run the machines.

I live in the heart of the Southern Appalachian Mountains and am looking forward to the snow. Granted I run my own business as a one man show and won't have to drive in it. Although I feel sorry for those who do have to drive in it, it's not enough to ruin my snowy day.

I just moved from Wisconsin to truck driving in the Southeast to get away fromsnow. I'm sick of this $#@!.

Quote Originally Posted by VIDEODROME View Post
    I just moved from Wisconsin to truck driving in the Southeast to get away fromsnow. I'm sick of this $#@!.
    Dayum, you just can't win.
    "The Patriarch"

Quote Originally Posted by RJB View Post
    I live in the heart of the Southern Appalachian Mountains and am looking forward to the snow. Granted I run my own business as a one man show and won't have to drive in it. Although I feel sorry for those who do have to drive in it, it's not enough to ruin my snowy day.
    "Southern Appalachian Mountains"

That explains it.
    Pfizer Macht Frei!

Openly Straight Man, Danke, Awarded Top Rated Influencer. Community Standards Enforcer.

Quiz: Test Your "Income" Tax IQ!

Short Income Tax Video

The Income Tax Is An Excise, And Excise Taxes Are Privilege Taxes

The Federalist Papers, No. 15:

Except as to the rule of appointment, the United States have an indefinite discretion to make requisitions for men and money; but they have no authority to raise either by regulations extending to the individual citizens of America.

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by VIDEODROME View Post
    Don't worry. It will be melted within a few days.

Quote Originally Posted by Danke View Post
    "Southern Appalachian Mountains"

That explains it.
    I am a Midwesterner who was forced against his will by marriage to a Southern girl to move here.

Don't trust women.

Quote Originally Posted by phill4paul View Post
    They are calling for 12"-18" in my area of the Carolinas. The plant I work for wants us (3rd shift) to work overtime and come in Sat. night just as the storm hits at 10pm. What do you suppose the roads will look like by 6am? Then they want us to come in for our regular shift at 10pm Sunday after storming all day. Lol. I think they are being optimistic about whether enough people will show up to run the machines.
    If I were a single person I'd just pack a cot and some food and plan on being there for a couple days. But you can't do that when you have a family at home. Tough call. Do you live in the mountains where they are at least used to dealing with some snow?

Quote Originally Posted by angelatc View Post
    If I were a single person I'd just pack a cot and some food and plan on being there for a couple days. But you can't do that when you have a family at home. Tough call. Do you live in the mountains where they are at least used to dealing with some snow?
    Lol. I'm not that committed. But, I have a 4x4 pick-up and have experience on snow. We are at the foot of the mountains but are inundated with "half-backs." Floridians. Hopefully, I'm thinking there won't be to many idiots that late or that early.

Quote Originally Posted by phill4paul View Post
    Floridians.
    Sometimes people complain of the crazy redneck kids who think the road and their 4 wheel drives are their personal rollercoaster (I was one of them once.)

I don't mind them much. If someone knows how to do a donut in a snowy parking lot, they usually know how not to do one on a windy road.

The thing is a lot of people don't realize there is a fine line between going too slow and too fast. Getting stuck behind an idiot who is attempting to drive up a steep hill at 5 miles an hour only to slide back down sucks.

Y'all are at least safe from this idiot. I will not be driving in any snow or ice. I will also not fight you for the milk and bread. I buy booze and steaks.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron Paul View Post
    The intellectual battle for liberty can appear to be a lonely one at times. However, the numbers are not as important as the principles that we hold. Leonard Read always taught that "it's not a numbers game, but an ideological game." That's why it's important to continue to provide a principled philosophy as to what the role of government ought to be, despite the numbers that stare us in the face.
    Quote Originally Posted by Origanalist View Post
    This intellectually stimulating conversation is the reason I keep coming here.

Quote Originally Posted by Suzanimal View Post
    Y'all are at least safe from this idiot. I will not be driving in any snow or ice. I will also not fight you for the milk and bread. I buy booze and steaks.
    Booze & steaks is where its at .
    Do something Danke

Booze & steaks is where its at .
    Yes, I like to keep it classy.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron Paul View Post
    The intellectual battle for liberty can appear to be a lonely one at times. However, the numbers are not as important as the principles that we hold. Leonard Read always taught that "it's not a numbers game, but an ideological game." That's why it's important to continue to provide a principled philosophy as to what the role of government ought to be, despite the numbers that stare us in the face.
    Quote Originally Posted by Origanalist View Post
    This intellectually stimulating conversation is the reason I keep coming here.

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by RJB View Post
    Sometimes people complain of the crazy redneck kids who think the road and their 4 wheel drives are their personal rollercoaster (I was one of them once.)

I don't mind them much. If someone knows how to do a donut in a snowy parking lot, they usually know how not to do one on a windy road.

The thing is a lot of people don't realize there is a fine line between going too slow and too fast. Getting stuck behind an idiot who is attempting to drive up a steep hill at 5 miles an hour only to slide back down sucks.
    Yup. Those are the same ones that like to ride their brakes going down hill instead of using a lower gear.

For any Southern Appalachian Winter Storm San Diego Armageddon survivors out there , starting Sunday my tribe is accepting cash donations to influence climate change .
    Do something Danke

For any Southern Appalachian Winter Storm San Diego Armageddon survivors out there , starting Sunday my tribe is accepting cash donations to influence climate change .
    And if no cash is forthcoming you will conduct the worlds biggest rain dance?
    Never attempt to teach a pig to sing; it wastes your time and annoys the pig.

Robert Heinlein

Give a man an inch and right away he thinks he's a ruler

Groucho Marx

I love mankind…it’s people I can’t stand.

Linus, from the Peanuts comic

You cannot have liberty without morality and morality without faith

Alexis de Torqueville

Those who fail to learn from the past are condemned to repeat it.
    Those who learn from the past are condemned to watch everybody else repeat it

A Zero Hedge comment

Quote Originally Posted by fedupinmo View Post
    We will be enjoying Sunny Day Francisco while this is happening.
    The benefit of living on the west coast.
    "Perhaps one of the most important accomplishments of my administration is minding my own business."

Calvin Coolidge

Quote Originally Posted by Swordsmyth View Post
    And if no cash is forthcoming you will conduct the worlds biggest rain dance?
    Yes , it will go easier on them if they comply .
    Do something Danke

Quote Originally Posted by Anti Globalist View Post
    The benefit of living on the west coast.
    I live in the Midwest, but all the crap is going South of us. I just named the sunny day, so maybe it can catch on like naming the "winter storms"...
    Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Ryan
    In Washington you can see them everywhere: the Parasites and baby Stalins sucking the life out of a once-great nation.

Are there Appalachians left or did they all perish ?
    Do something Danke

Supporting Member
    North Wilkesboro, NC

Still here

28. Remove this section of ads by registering.