Thread: Are We Fighting Terrorism, Or Creating More Terrorism?

Are We Fighting Terrorism, Or Creating More Terrorism?

written by ron paul
    sunday may 28, 2017
    http://ronpaulinstitute.org/archives...ore-terrorism/

When we think about terrorism we most often think about the horrors of a Manchester-like attack, where a radicalized suicide bomber went into a concert hall and killed dozens of innocent civilians. It was an inexcusable act of savagery and it certainly did terrorize the population.

What is less considered are attacks that leave far more civilians dead, happen nearly daily instead of rarely, and produce a constant feeling of terror and dread. These are the civilians on the receiving end of US and allied bombs in places like Syria, Yemen, Afghanistan, Somalia, and elsewhere.

Last week alone, US and “coalition” attacks on Syria left more than 200 civilians dead and many hundreds more injured. In fact, even though US intervention in Syria was supposed to protect the population from government attacks, US-led air strikes have killed more civilians over the past month than air strikes of the Assad government. That is like a doctor killing his patient to save him.

Do we really believe we are fighting terrorism by terrorizing innocent civilians overseas? How long until we accept that “collateral damage” is just another word for “murder”?

The one so-called success of the recent G7 summit in Sicily was a general agreement to join together to “fight terrorism.” Have we not been in a “war on terrorism” for the past 16 years? What this really means is more surveillance of innocent civilians, a crackdown on free speech and the Internet, and many more bombs dropped overseas. Will doing more of what we have been doing do the trick? Hardly! After 16 years fighting terrorism, it is even worse than before we started. This can hardly be considered success.

They claim that more government surveillance will keep us safe. But the UK is already the most intrusive surveillance state in the western world. The Manchester bomber was surely on the radar screen. According to press reports, he was known to the British intelligence services, he had traveled and possibly trained in bomb-making in Libya and Syria, his family members warned the authorities that he was dangerous, and he even flew terrorist flags over his house. What more did he need to do to signal that he may be a problem? Yet somehow even in Orwellian UK, the authorities missed all the clues.

But it is even worse than that. The British government actually granted permission for its citizens of Libyan background to travel to Libya and fight alongside al-Qaeda to overthrow Gaddafi. After months of battle and indoctrination, it then welcomed these radicalized citizens back to the UK. And we are supposed to be surprised and shocked that they attack?

The real problem is that both Washington and London are more interested in regime change overseas than any blowback that might come to the rest of us back home. They just do not care about the price we pay for their foreign policy actions. No grand announcement of new resolve to “fight terrorism” can be successful unless we understand what really causes terrorism. They do not hate us because we are rich and free. They hate us because we are over there, bombing them.
    Copyright © 2017 by RonPaul Institute. Permission to reprint in whole or in part is gladly granted, provided full credit and a live link are given.
    Please donate to the Ron Paul Institute
    http://ronpaulinstitute.org/archives...ore-terrorism/
    "The Patriarch"

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Either way it is a good business.

Quote Originally Posted by timosman View Post
    Either way it is a good business.
    Keeps the State healthy.
    "The Patriarch"

Ron Paul:

ON. THE. NOSE.

As always.
    There is no spoon.

Quote Originally Posted by Origanalist View Post
    Keeps the State healthy.
    Just keep churning FRNs so you can pay the taxes and do not stick your nose into something that should be of no interest to you.

Just keep churning FRNs so you can pay the taxes and do not stick your nose into something that should not be of interest to you.
    Oooops, too late.
    "The Patriarch"

Oooops, too late.
    You can always obtain a loan. The rates are really favorable at the moment.

The real problem is that both Washington and London are more interested in regime change overseas than any blowback that might come to the rest of us back home. They just do not care about the price we pay for their foreign policy actions. No grand announcement of new resolve to “fight terrorism” can be successful unless we understand what really causes terrorism. They do not hate us because we are rich and free. They hate us because we are over there, bombing them.
    As usual, he's on the money.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron Paul View Post
    The intellectual battle for liberty can appear to be a lonely one at times. However, the numbers are not as important as the principles that we hold. Leonard Read always taught that "it's not a numbers game, but an ideological game." That's why it's important to continue to provide a principled philosophy as to what the role of government ought to be, despite the numbers that stare us in the face.
    This intellectually stimulating conversation is the reason I keep coming here.

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    What makes them "innocent?"
    Pfizer Macht Frei!

Openly Straight Man, Danke, Awarded Top Rated Influencer. Community Standards Enforcer.

Quiz: Test Your "Income" Tax IQ!

Short Income Tax Video

The Income Tax Is An Excise, And Excise Taxes Are Privilege Taxes

The Federalist Papers, No. 15:

Except as to the rule of appointment, the United States have an indefinite discretion to make requisitions for men and money; but they have no authority to raise either by regulations extending to the individual citizens of America.

Quote Originally Posted by Danke View Post
    What makes them "innocent?"
    I would guess that they haven't been proven guilty.
    Quote Originally Posted by dannno View Post
    It's a balance between appeasing his supporters, appeasing the deep state and reaching his own goals.
    ~Resident Badgiraffe

They hate us because we are over there, bombing them.

Quote Originally Posted by tod evans View Post
    They hate us because we are over there, bombing them.
    Ya but we are over there bombing because they hate our freedoms. @TheTexan
    It's a balance between appeasing his supporters, appeasing the deep state and reaching his own goals.
    ~Resident Badgiraffe

Quote Originally Posted by Suzanimal View Post
    As usual, he's on the money.

Quote Originally Posted by William Tell View Post
    Ya but we are over there bombing because they hate our freedoms. @TheTexan
    What freedoms?

$#@! you, Giuliani!

+rep, timosman

The intellectual battle for liberty can appear to be a lonely one at times. However, the numbers are not as important as the principles that we hold. Leonard Read always taught that "it's not a numbers game, but an ideological game." That's why it's important to continue to provide a principled philosophy as to what the role of government ought to be, despite the numbers that stare us in the face.

Trump promised to destroy the threat, will we be safe soon?
    No one here wanted to be the Billionaire.

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.

Quote Originally Posted by Indy Vidual View Post
    Trump promised to destroy the threat, will we be safe soon?
    And will we get our freedoms back?

You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to Origanalist again.

Dang it, O. I've been a rep slutting all morning and still can't hit ya up.

What freedoms?
    Uh, something about Ken & Barbie
    ~Resident Badgiraffe

Yes, of course. Haven't you learned? We've been saying this for a while. Just be patient and let us do our work for a little longer, but no more than 100 years, and everything will be fine.

"Treat others as you would have them treat you."

Right now, it's tit for tat... terrorism won't stop, till at least one side realizes this and ends the hostilities.

Quote Originally Posted by Dr.3D View Post
    "Treat others as you would have them treat you."

Right now, it's tit for tat... terrorism won't stop, till at least one side realizes this and ends the hostilities.
    Or, as Jack Perry said, fighting fire with fire.

The United States thinks that because it uses “fire to fight fire” in forest fires, it can apply this logic to fighting terrorism. Two things are wrong with that. First, this is not a forest fire where you can light a “backfire” and cause the fire to burn out. Second, it has been proven that the U.S. Forest Service policy of fighting every forest fire in the United States has led up to catastrophic forest fires even worse than before. Why? Because routine fires burn away the underbrush that accumulates. A healthy forest needs regular fires. And these fires burn themselves out over time and the forest remains intact.

What this means is: When a thing happens in the Middle East, you leave it alone. Let it burn itself out. But if you go in there to “fight” that “fire”, you are only assuring there will one day be a catastrophic forest fire that will consume everything in it’s path. That’s where we’re at today, having fought countless fires in the Middle East only for the fires to get bigger and bigger over time. Terrorism is the catastrophic forest fire that has jumped the fire line and the firefighters are reluctant to tell everyone that, hey, we can’t save your homes after boasting that we’d beat this fire. Sorry.
    https://www.lewrockwell.com/2017/05/...t-forest-fire/

You have your allotted freedoms comrade..

28. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to Origanalist again.

Dang it, O. I've been a rep slutting all morning and still can't hit ya up.
    Lol, don't hurt yourself.
    "The Patriarch"

Quote Originally Posted by tod evans View Post
    You have your allotted freedoms comrade..
    I was only hoping to smoke my annual birthday joint without worrying about my friend getting arrested acquiring it for me.

Lol, don't hurt yourself.
    I'll be fine. I'm in a dry spell. Rep slutting's all I got right now.

I was only hoping to smoke my annual birthday joint without worrying about my friend getting arrested acquiring it for me.

I'll be fine. I'm in a dry spell. Rep slutting's all I got right now.
    Mr. Animal needs to step up here.
    "The Patriarch"