Thread: Should I run for an officer position in my county GOP?

Should I run for an officer position in my county GOP?

Update #2: I have been elected co-chair of my county GOP!

Update:

I am running for Co-Chair. Chair is not winnable at this point. Election is on the 17th. One third of vote locked up thus far.

Should I run for an officer position in my county GOP?

Every way I look at it I'll be short votes or at best tie. The only way I'd win is if they don't show up or I'm extremely persuasive. I'm certain they will turn out. The last time a liberty person could have won a position they postponed the election and brought in absent committee members. This was a decade ago and based more on a community divide rather than a political one.

However, my local GOP is deeply divided and I don't want to cause more resentment by running and losing. I also don't want to fracture the activist base in my small town of 9,500 even if I win. Unity is more important to me right now. We are non-verbally agreeing to disagree. But there are many harsh feelings. We DOMINATED our precinct caucuses in 2012 and won all delegate positions at our county convention leading to district and state conventions. Emotions are still raw for some.

No liberty person has stepped forward to run for any position; chair, co-chair, treasurer, or secretary. I am only interested in co-chair.

There is much strength in my local liberty group but no engaged leadership. I've stepped up on occasion to fill voids and feel I must do so again. I guess I need help weighing pros and cons. Election is in 11 days. Do I just put this off and organize for our 2014 caucus and sweep committee member positions then?

Thoughts, comments, suggestions? I'm mulling it over. Off to bed, I'll check back in the morning.
    Last edited by Uriah; 01-17-2013 at 10:07 PM.

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Why not? Win or be a player, either way, we're rooting for you!
    "Integrity means having to say things that people don't want to hear & especially to say things that the regime doesn't want to hear.” -Ron Paul

"Bathtub falls and police officers kill more Americans than terrorism, yet we've been asked to sacrifice our most sacred rights for fear of falling victim to it." -Edward Snowden

Quote Originally Posted by sailingaway View Post
    Why not? Win or be a player, either way, we're rooting for you!
    I'm in agreement^^^^, but I am not able to judge as well as you not being involved there. Can you not run positively enough to not cause resentments?
    "The Patriarch"

I would say you should run. Be decent and respectful, that's what the Good Doctor always wanted from us anyway. At worst you put a good showing and maybe exemplify that liberty-minded Republicans aren't the barn burning heathens the Establishment likes to think we are.
    "Always vote for principle, though you may vote alone, and you may cherish the sweetest reflection that your vote is never lost."
    ~ President John Q. Adams ~

Personally, I can only run a positive campaign. It's the only thing I know how to do. The guy I would replace gets the most visibly angry and upset. He also holds the biggest grudges. Even if I called him up and said I'm running because I'm interested. It has nothing to do with your job as co-chair(he works hard) and I'm just really interested in doing more for my party, I think he'd say something to the effect " You're a liar blah blah blah, you Ron Paul people." Then he'd continue on his angry diatribe and hangup on me.

Thanks for the support.

The only way we're going to change the GOP from within is if good liberty people run and get elected.
    __________________________________________________ ________________
    "A politician will do almost anything to keep their job, even become a patriot" - Hearst

I say run, and as others have said just be positive and tactful about it. If he starts making angry retorts while you stay calm then it will just make him look bad.

The answer to that kind of question is always "yes". Even if you had no chance, you should still make the effort. You never know what impact you might make.
    "Corruptisima republica plurimae leges."

---- Tacitus

I love von Mises and Emma Watson

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Run
    Too bad our elected officials are not as aggressively trying to reduce the federal deficit as they are trying to strip us of our constitutional rights.

Are other members of your "liberty group" precinct chairs? If so, you should talk to them about it and agree on a plan ahead of time.

Quote Originally Posted by erowe1 View Post
    Are other members of your "liberty group" precinct chairs? If so, you should talk to them about it and agree on a plan ahead of time.
    Yes. I expressed my interest at our meeting yesterday. Everyone is on board to do it but no one else has stepped up to run.

If you run, run to win. Otherwise hold your peace, because you'd need others to put in some significant resources that should not be taken from other good causes.

Quote Originally Posted by Uriah View Post
    Yes. I expressed my interest at our meeting yesterday. Everyone is on board to do it but no one else has stepped up to run.
    Sounds like it's you then!
    "Integrity means having to say things that people don't want to hear & especially to say things that the regime doesn't want to hear.” -Ron Paul

"Bathtub falls and police officers kill more Americans than terrorism, yet we've been asked to sacrifice our most sacred rights for fear of falling victim to it." -Edward Snowden

Quote Originally Posted by Aeroneous View Post
    I say run, and as others have said just be positive and tactful about it. If he starts making angry retorts while you stay calm then it will just make him look bad.
    This. Let him dig his own grave and be a nice reflection on the establishment folk.

Personally, I can only run a positive campaign. It's the only thing I know how to do. The guy I would replace gets the most visibly angry and upset. He also holds the biggest grudges. Even if I called him up and said I'm running because I'm interested. It has nothing to do with your job as co-chair(he works hard) and I'm just really interested in doing more for my party, I think he'd say something to the effect " You're a liar blah blah blah, you Ron Paul people." Then he'd continue on his angry diatribe and hangup on me.

Thanks for the support.
    That sounds good to me. Let him get angry. Keeping it positive won't hurt you or the movement. Even if you get blown out, I'm sure you'll gain valuable experience.

If you were in a place right now where what we are trying to do isn't obvious, I would say hold off, but I don't think any Iowa republican worth his salt cannot see what we are trying to do there. I say run, and run to win!

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    I don't know if you have trust but treasurer is usually a good position and in some cases have state appointments.

In either case do it, run your campaign As a concerned American rather than a Ron Paul supporter. Someone that wants to win future elections.
    THE SQUAD of RPF
    1. enhanced_deficit - Paid Troll / John Bolton book promoter
    2. Devil21 - LARPing Wizard, fake magical script reader
    3. Firestarter - Tax Troll; anti-tax = "criminal behavior"
    4. TheCount - Comet Pizza Pedo Denier <-- sick

@Ehanced_Deficit's real agenda on RPF =troll:

Who spends this much time copy/pasting the same recycled links, photos/talking points.

7 yrs/25k posts later RPF'ers still respond to this troll

If you don't, at least volunteer to run 1 of the committees. Do a good job at that and maybe you will have more supporters next time? I'm on the State Committee but I'm not going to bother running for a county position. I already have enough extra volunteer work being on the State Committee. I don't need an additional 5 hours of volunteer work a week by having a county officer position.
    Lifetime member of more than 1 national gun organization and the New Hampshire Liberty Alliance. Part of Young Americans for Liberty and Campaign for Liberty. Free State Project participant and multi-year Free Talk Live AMPlifier.

Update:

I am running for Co-Chair. Chair is not winnable at this point. Election is on the 17th. One third of vote locked up thus far.

Update:

Be careful how much you say on here.

I was just elected Co-Chair of my county GOP. Pretty happy right now. I've got work to do but I'm so excited to do it.

I was just elected Co-Chair of my county GOP. Pretty happy right now. I've got work to do but I'm so excited to do it.
    Woot!!

One thing is for sure: you can't win if you don't run!

The more liberty-advocates in office, the better. That's how things change!

28. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Congrats! These off year conventions and party elections are so important. I wish everyone would get involved instead of going inactive in off years. With our numbers we could own these conventions and offices.
    "Let it not be said that we did nothing."-Ron Paul

"We have set them on the hobby-horse of an idea about the absorption of individuality by the symbolic unit of COLLECTIVISM. They have never yet and they never will have the sense to reflect that this hobby-horse is a manifest violation of the most important law of nature, which has established from the very creation of the world one unit unlike another and precisely for the purpose of instituting individuality."- A Quote From Some Old Book

Cant plus rep via phone... Thanks Uriah, and congrats