Thread: Christie wants Trump to declare a National State of Emergency over "opioid crisis"

Christie wants Trump to declare a National State of Emergency over "opioid crisis"

Gov. Chris Christie is going for another power grab by trying to convince President Trump that it's necessary to declare a national state of emergency over the "opiod crisis".

Christie is chairman of the President's Commission on Combating Drug Addiction and the Opioid Crisis.

While much of his plan revolves around forcing insurance companies to pay for addiction treatment, his main goal seems to be getting strict contol over pain killers and how and when they are used. I'm a chronic pain patient living in NJ (don't use them constantly - not addicted) and can attest to the fact that fewer and fewer doctors are willing to prescribe pain meds because of increased liabilities.

One of my bone doctors flatout told me that they're persecuting doctors - claiming their careless prescribing is the #1 reason people get addicted - and then start using heroin! Doctors are now required to give us a "talk" with every prescription (they already always warned about addiction). For years now, when I am given a prescription for an opiate, it has to have a unique bar code printed on it, and also my name goes into a data base that a doctor can check, to see whether any other doctors have given me prescriptions, and how much, how often, and when. Surely, Christie will want to make this a nationwide practice. I'd guess that AG Sessions is going to go right along with it.

The report Christie has drafted, uses very broadly based, non-specific statistics to back up his assertions, then places the blame on doctors who are legally prescribing pain medicines. He offers no evidence indicting that this is true, other than "we believe". My own experience, plus the experiences of persons I know, (including addicts and former addicts) indicate the exact opposite! I know no one who ever became addicted to legally prescribed pain killers first!

Christie and AG Sessions both have the same ignorant stance on drug use. Their beliefs are based entirely on drug-war stereotypes and propaganda. Governor Chris Christie has put absolutely ZERO thought into how patients of chronic pain will be affected. It's as if he doesn't believe they exist - or that if you aren't about to die from cancer TODAY, you have no right to use the only pain medicine that might help you!

The fact that Trump is spending the next week or so in Bedminster, NJ suggests that he and Christie may be meeting to discuss this right now - and Congress, who so often adopts that moronic attitude of "Do SOMETHING! ANYTHING!" over any perceived crisis - leads me to suspect some onerous legislation is about to be pushed through. As most of you no doubt know, this is just a vehicle for the continuation of the same old drug war.

ALSO - THE FDA IS FORCING DRUG COMPANIES TO REDUCE THE AMOUNT OF PAIN MEDICINE MANUFACTURED!
    https://www.dea.gov/divisions/hq/2016/hq100416.shtml
    You know what that means - higher prices, increased black market sales and pain sufferers turning to heroin!

Patients with pain have absolutely no voice in whatever legislation they're planning!
    Does anyone know of any groups or organizations that acknowledge a patient's right to effective pain relief?
    Any protests? Any advocates?

(July 31, 2017)
    WASHINGTON -- President Donald Trump should declare a national emergency and put the federal government fully behind efforts to curb opioid addiction, according to a preliminary report by the commission chaired by Gov. Chris Christie.

"By declaring this state of emergency, the president will be putting the full weight of his office behind this issue," said Christie, chairman of the President's Commission on Combating Drug Addiction and the Opioid Crisis.

Christie said 142 Americans die every day from a drug overdose.

"To say we have a crisis here is an understatement," he said. "We are having our citizens die every day."......

...Four of every five heroin addicts began by using prescribed opiates, not by buying drug off the streets, the report said. [According to what research? How were these numbers compiled?]

"While we acknowledge that some of this inappropriate overprescribing is done illegally and for profit, we believe the overwhelming percentage is due to a lack of education on these issues in our nation's medical and dental schools and a dearth of continuing medical education for practicing clinicians," the report said.

"This can and must be solved by using presidential moral and legal authority to change this lack of education leading to addiction and death."...
    http://www.nj.com/politics/index.ssf...ng_opioid.html
    Recent draft from the President's Commission on Combating Drug Addiction and the Opioid Crisis
    https://www.whitehouse.gov/sites/whi...rim-report.pdf
    Last edited by Valli6; 08-06-2017 at 01:04 PM.

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.

Trump holding a "major briefing on opiod crisis" 3PM EDT

Damn. Here we go.
    Will Trump have the gall to declare a national state of emergency on Christie's advice?

Anyone know what exactly, we can expect them to do differently after this declaration is made?

I get the impression it gives government increased authority, makes it even easier to ignore our rights, and that governors will be given extra powers. Coincidentally, a number of governors were involved in Christie's lop-sided report.

I will be holding a major briefing on the Opioid crisis, a major problem for our country, today at 3:00 P.M. in Bedminster, N.J. https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/...78812063846400

The free market prefers opium to opioids...

Quote Originally Posted by tod evans View Post
    I would never use a prescription opioid. Even with a total of 8 broken bones at one time I would not use them.

Quote Originally Posted by Working Poor View Post
    I would never use a prescription opioid. Even with a total of 8 broken bones at one time I would not use them.
    I have no problem using whatever works and is available if I'm hurting.

Given my druthers .5 grain shake-n-bake morphine tablets would be available at every stop-n-rob..

There was really no need for Big-Pharm to create different pain killers other than money...

What Christie is saying that he has failed to enforce the law in New Jersey. And he wanted to be President. Wow.
    #NashvilleStrong

“I’m a doctor. That’s a baby.”~~~Dr. Manny Sethi

Quote Originally Posted by euphemia View Post
    What Christie is saying that he has failed to enforce the law in New Jersey. And he wanted to be President. Wow.
    What I'm seeing is the fat-$#@! trying to maintain a toe hold on relevance by screaming 'bout "The Drugz" at the top of his lungs.....It has been a winning formula for politicians now for decades.

The stuff on the black market is now often mixed with fentanyl which is way stronger than heroin. They aren't careful about how much they add, and don't warn buyers that it's in there (probably don't even know). From what I've witnessed, fentanyl is what's actually causing most of the overdoses for the past about 4 years. For some reason Christie want's to make it all about doctors overprescribing - guess doctors are easier to arrest than cartel members or their gangs.

Natural opium is not such a reliable way to relieve pain though it could work - grow space is necessary (& viewable to helicopters.) It's not consistent like doctor-prescribed medicines.

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    from the hill article:
    "The first and most urgent recommendation of this Commission is direct and completely within your control. Declare a national emergency under either the Public Health Service Act or the Stafford Act," the commission wrote in its interim report.
    http://thehill.com/homenews/administ...-opioid-crisis
    Checking wkipedia, I see that the Stafford Act means getting a bunch of money and assistance from the federal government... and much more.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Staffo...Assistance_Act
    ...Congress to provide continued and orderly assistance from the federal government to state and local governments to relieve hardship and damage that result from disasters. As defined by Title I, an emergency is any instance, or thought that is determined by the President, in which state or local efforts need federal assistance to save lives and protect the health and welfare of the people in a community...
    The Public Health Service Act was ammended to tie it to the Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act of 2010 (Obamacare) https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Public_Health_Service_Act

Christie wants to help grow government and create a flashy role for himself to play when his term as governor is up.
    Last edited by Valli6; 08-08-2017 at 12:03 PM.

This is all bad. The drug war is a total failure as it is, if they ramp it up things will only get worse.
    "The Patriarch"

Christie can go pound sand... oh, wait...

Don't need a weather man to know which way the wind blows

I have no problem using whatever works and is available if I'm hurting.

Given my druthers .5 grain shake-n-bake morphine tablets would be available at every stop-n-rob..

There was really no need for Big-Pharm to create different pain killers other than money...

Heroin, opium, morphine, codeine should all be legal. They'd all be cheaper, because they're not patented, and the reason why they're illegal is because they're competition to the patented versions.

Chris Christie wants Trump to declare a state of emergency on his dessert plate.
    Dishonest money makes for dishonest people.

Andrew Napolitano, John Stossel. FOX News Liberty Infiltrators.

Quote Originally Posted by Inkblots View Post
    Dr. Paul is living rent-free in the minds of the neocons, and for a fiscal conservative, free rent is always a good thing
    NOBP ≠ ABO

Shelter in place. Prepare for door to door SWAT raids to look for opioids (and whatever other crimes can be uncovered). Taste the freedom.
    "Foreign aid is taking money from the poor people of a rich country, and giving it to the rich people of a poor country." - Ron Paul
    "Beware the Military-Industrial-Financial-Pharma-Corporate-Internet-Media-Government Complex." - B4L update of General Dwight D. Eisenhower
    "Debt is the drug, Wall St. Banksters are the dealers, and politicians are the addicts." - B4L
    "Totally free immigration? I've never taken that position. I believe in national sovereignty." - Ron Paul

Proponent of real science.
    The views and opinions expressed here are solely my own, and do not represent this forum or any other entities or persons.

Quote Originally Posted by Valli6 View Post
    The stuff on the black market is now often mixed with fentanyl which is way stronger than heroin. They aren't careful about how much they add, and don't warn buyers that it's in there (probably don't even know). From what I've witnessed, fentanyl is what's actually causing most of the overdoses for the past about 4 years. For some reason Christie want's to make it all about doctors overprescribing - guess doctors are easier to arrest than cartel members or their gangs.

Natural opium is not such a reliable way to relieve pain though it could work - grow space is necessary (& viewable to helicopters.) It's not consistent like doctor-prescribed medicines.
    I don't think opium is mixed with it, heroin is. Opium is not heroin, yes I know they come from the same place.
    "The Patriarch"

Christie is a drug war foot soldier. No surprise here.

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Well, at least there hasn't been a state of emergency declared yet.

Quote Originally Posted by Origanalist View Post
    I don't think opium is mixed with it, heroin is. Opium is not heroin, yes I know they come from the same place.
    Yes, you're right. Opium comes out of the seed pod that way, but it contains a lot of other alkaloids besides the morphine. I think some of them can make you sick if there happens to be a lot of certain other alkaloids, in the plant being used. I don't know if anyone sells plain opium anymore.

(from 1922)
    Principal Constituents.—Opium contains nineteen or twenty alkaloids, some of which are combined with meconic acid, forming meconates, some with sulphuric acid, some free, as narcotine, a weak base. Those of medicinal interest are: (1) Morphine (C17H19NO3.H2O), anodyne and narcotic; (2) Codeine (C18H21NO3.H2O); (3) Narcotine (Anarcotine) (C22H23NO7); (4) Narceine (C23H29NO9); Thebaine (C19H21N3O) Papaverine (C20H21NO4); and Pseudo-morphine (C34H36N2O6).
    Other alkaloids are: rhoeadine, cryptopine, codamine, laudanine, lanthopine, meconidine, protopine, hydrocotarnine, laudanosine, oxynarcotine, gnoscopine, tritopine, and xantholine. Besides these are the non-alkaloidal constituents: meconic acid, meconin, meconoisin, opionin; volatile oil and other common plant constituents and inorganic salts.

http://www.henriettes-herb.com/eclec...aver-somn.html
    Heroin is opium that's been processed with certain chemicals. After that, it can be adulterated with stuff like fentanyl to make it stretch further.
    Last edited by Valli6; 08-10-2017 at 11:27 AM.

from the hill article:

Checking wkipedia, I see that the Stafford Act means getting a bunch of money and assistance from the federal government... and much more.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Staffo...Assistance_Act

The Public Health Service Act was ammended to tie it to the Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act of 2010 (Obamacare) https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Public_Health_Service_Act

Christie wants to help grow government and create a flashy role for himself to play when his term as governor is up.
    exactly its all about money. same reason the states declare state of emergency for every little snowstorm nowadays, it gives access to federal money.

Must declare an emergency against alcohol too, then.

Well, at least there hasn't been a state of emergency declared yet.
    Looks like it's coming:

https://www.aol.com/article/news/201...buse/23073940/
    There is no spoon.

Quote Originally Posted by Ender View Post
    More babel-
    Seems like Trump is pissed off he didn't get his AUMF. My guess is Trump's ACA repeal tweet towards McConnell was more that he wants his NDAA so he can fund his wars. I wonder if they can use this state of emergency money to fund Trumps wars.