Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New Orleans without power for weeks maybe months. What's an electric car owner to do?

Exclamation New Orleans without power for weeks maybe months. What's an electric car owner to do?

So, NOLA may be dark for weeks now.

A here is a fatal flaw of plug in only EVs - There is no way to evacuate when the power goes out.

With the lights off, food spoiling and gas pumps out of order, New Orleans faces extended power failure

https://www.msn.com/en-us/weather/to...ans/ar-AANTS8C

Will Englund, Marc Fisher, Jacob Bogage 23 hrs ago

The coming days or weeks without electricity in hurricane-battered New Orleans and its surrounding region will mean candles and oil lamps, canned food, no cellphone service, no air conditioning or fans in near-90-degree heat for those without generators. Televisions won’t get signals, and radio batteries will die.

The coming days or weeks without electricity in hurricane-battered New Orleans and its surrounding region will mean candles and oil lamps, canned food, no cellphone service, no air conditioning or fans in near-90-degree heat for those without generators. Televisions won’t get signals, and radio batteries will die.

Outside homes, the misery exists on a wider scale: Service stations without power can’t pump gas, and sewage pumping stations without working pumps can’t pull wastewater out of the plumbing of thousands of households.

Louisiana’s principal utility, Entergy, is still trying to assess the damage from Hurricane Ida, which knocked out all eight transmission lines bringing electricity from power plants into Orleans and Jefferson parishes. The company said Monday it could be weeks before service is fully restored to the nearly 900,000 Louisiana customers who have lost it in the storm. Several hundred thousand who rely on other utility companies are also in the dark.

“We have no electricity, no communication. Our water systems are down. We’re losing pressure,” Jefferson Parish President Cynthia Lee Sheng said in a video call with the White House. She said sewers were backing up and urged residents who had left the parish not to come back for now.

“It’s going to be a difficult life for quite some time,” she said.
    “Civilizations die from suicide, not by murder.” - Arnold Toynbee

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Just pay someone with a gas powered car to tow a diesel generator to charge your car
    It's all about taking action and not being lazy. So you do the work, whether it's fitness or whatever. It's about getting up, motivating yourself and just doing it.
    - Kim Kardashian

Donald Trump / Crenshaw 2024!!!!

My pronouns are he/him/his

Quote Originally Posted by Anti Federalist View Post
    “It’s going to be a difficult life for quite some time,” she said.
    Life without Netflix/Hulu? I shudder at the thought.
    It's all about taking action and not being lazy. So you do the work, whether it's fitness or whatever. It's about getting up, motivating yourself and just doing it.
    - Kim Kardashian

A here is a fatal flaw of plug in only EVs - There is no way to evacuate when the power goes out.
    I'll be speaking on a panel in 2 weeks talking about this very topic - as well as ways to overcome it.

It's not really as fatal a flaw as you might think. But, if that concerns you, what about the commitments that all the major utilities have made to electrify their fleets? Where are they going to charge when they all convene in a disaster area to restore power during mutual support? Trust me, innovative thinking can solve these issues.
    "And now that the legislators and do-gooders have so futilely inflicted so many systems upon society, may they finally end where they should have begun: May they reject all systems, and try liberty; for liberty is an acknowledgment of faith in God and His works." - Bastiat

"It is difficult to free fools from the chains they revere." - Voltaire

Quote Originally Posted by CaptUSA View Post
    I'll be speaking on a panel in 2 weeks talking about this very topic - as well as ways to overcome it.

It's not really as fatal a flaw as you might think. But, if that concerns you, what about the commitments that all the major utilities have made to electrify their fleets? Where are they going to charge when they all convene in a disaster area to restore power during mutual support? Trust me, innovative thinking can solve these issues.
    Yep it'll just take a few years but the infrastructure will get there.
    - Kim Kardashian

I'm sure of that.

But they are issues that would otherwise not be there, were it not for looming government fatwas.

The market doesn't want EVs, the technological hurdles that made them cumbersome and limited 100 years ago are still there.

There is no need to upheave the entire fleet and the support infrastructure for a product that is not needed or wanted.

Any market desire for hyper mileage "green" cars can easily be met by true hybrid technology which already exists and is proved.

There is no need to upheave the entire fleet and the support infrastructure for a product that is not needed or wanted.
    The "need and want" is exhibited by government not the consumer.

Connected cars can be monitored and every 'lectric car is not just connected it's dependent on connection to function.

Why are they still using wooden utility poles?

I've seen plenty of reinforced concrete utility poles in other countries.

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    I'm sure of that.

But they are issues that would otherwise not be there, were it not for looming government fatwas.

The market doesn't want EVs
    I'm not so sure about that. I think the market would have eventually gone EV without govt interference, just not as quickly.

All else being equal I'd prefer an electric car. Charge in my garage? Yes please. Easy maintenance? Yes please. 20 moving parts compared to 2000+ moving parts in ICE drive train? Yes please. Sneak up silently to hit unexpecting jaywalkers? Yes please.

Any market desire for hyper mileage "green" cars can easily be met by true hybrid technology which already exists and is proved.
    I couldn't care less about the green aspect, I just like a car that I can understand. An electric car is basically just a mobile phone with a motor attached to it. Doesn't take a year of auto mechanic school to know how that works.
    - Kim Kardashian

The market doesn't want EVs,
    Oh, I totally disagree. The market wants options. And while the average commuter isn't interested in EV's, fleets and commercial drivers recognize the Total Cost of Ownership for EV's are extremely favorable. This is today - not some year in the future.

As more and more fleets begin to see the operational savings from electrifying their transportation, you can expect that to spill over into the consumer market as well.

Now, there are additional opportunity costs with switching your fleets over - you have to have some down time to charge them, you won't get as many miles between refueling, you need to secure a reliable place to charge, etc. But there are plenty of fleet applications that have down-times, don't travel that many miles each day and can support their own charging infrastructure, so those opportunity costs are low. Especially, when stacked against the benefits of a cheaper fueling source, dramatically reduced maintenance, and rates that don't change based on the whims of foreign markets. And let's not forget the PR of touting your commitment to being "green" lol.

For me, the most attractive part of electrifying a large portion of transportation is that we don't have to subsidize it with the lives of our children. (until, of course we start wars to "secure America's interests" in battery materials.) It will also put downward pressure on oil and gas prices for the segments of transportation that are not electrified.

I know most of us don't like the way it's being pushed on us, but the market will ultimately decide. I doubt all applications will ever switch, but it already makes economic sense for some applications today and that list is growing as the technology improves.
    "And now that the legislators and do-gooders have so futilely inflicted so many systems upon society, may they finally end where they should have begun: May they reject all systems, and try liberty; for liberty is an acknowledgment of faith in God and His works." - Bastiat

"It is difficult to free fools from the chains they revere." - Voltaire

And Hybrids are $#@!ing terrible. They have even more moving parts than ICE. Repair/maintenance is like worst of both worlds.
    - Kim Kardashian

Oh, I totally disagree. The market wants options. And while the average commuter isn't interested in EV's, fleets and commercial drivers recognize the Total Cost of Ownership for EV's are extremely favorable. This is today - not some year in the future.

As more and more fleets begin to see the operational savings from electrifying their transportation, you can expect that to spill over into the consumer market as well.

Now, there are additional opportunity costs with switching your fleets over - you have to have some down time to charge them, you won't get as many miles between refueling, you need to secure a reliable place to charge, etc. But there are plenty of fleet applications that have down-times, don't travel that many miles each day and can support their own charging infrastructure, so those opportunity costs are low. Especially, when stacked against the benefits of a cheaper fueling source, dramatically reduced maintenance, and rates that don't change based on the whims of foreign markets. And let's not forget the PR of touting your commitment to being "green" lol.

For me, the most attractive part of electrifying a large portion of transportation is that we don't have to subsidize it with the lives of our children. (until, of course we start wars to "secure America's interests" in battery materials.) It will also put downward pressure on oil and gas prices for the segments of transportation that are not electrified.

I know most of us don't like the way it's being pushed on us, but the market will ultimately decide. I doubt all applications will ever switch, but it already makes economic sense for some applications today and that list is growing as the technology improves.
    Affordable options that can be used when the lights go out.

Is there a compact, that seats 4 and costs under 15k, that is electric and road worthy?
    Last edited by tebowlives; 08-31-2021 at 01:29 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by TheTexan View Post
    I'm not so sure about that. I think the market would have eventually gone EV without govt interference, just not as quickly.

All else being equal I'd prefer an electric car. Charge in my garage? Yes please. Easy maintenance? Yes please. 20 moving parts compared to 2000+ moving parts in ICE drive train? Yes please. Sneak up silently to hit unexpecting jaywalkers? Yes please.

I couldn't care less about the green aspect, I just like a car that I can understand. An electric car is basically just a mobile phone with a motor attached to it. Doesn't take a year of auto mechanic school to know how that works.
    They accelerate like there's no tomorrow. but manual windows to get out so you don't get fried when the batteries incinerate everything they touch.

bets are the Gas pumps don't work either.

and likely any underground storage tanks have water in the gas.. Stock up of Gas Dryer.

Katrina was a SELF INFLICTED wound,,

and they learned NOTHING.
    Liberty is lost through complacency and a subservient mindset. When we accept or even welcome automobile checkpoints, random searches, mandatory identification cards, and paramilitary police in our streets, we have lost a vital part of our American heritage. America was born of protest, revolution, and mistrust of government. Subservient societies neither maintain nor deserve freedom for long.
    Ron Paul 2004

Registered Ron Paul supporter # 2202
    It's all about Freedom

Quote Originally Posted by tebowlives View Post
    Affordable options that can be used when the lights go out.

Is there a compact, that seats 4 and costs under 15k, that is electric and road worthy?
    I doubt that it is under $15k, though.

Thumbs down

And Hybrids are $#@!ing terrible. They have even more moving parts than ICE. Repair/maintenance is like worst of both worlds.
    Having owned a Prius for 6 years, I can say this is demonstrably false.
    __________________________________________________ ________________
    "A politician will do almost anything to keep their job, even become a patriot" - Hearst

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.

Thumbs down

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Collins View Post
    Having owned a Prius for 6 years, I can say this is demonstrably false.
    Lets talk after 12
    - Kim Kardashian

Oh, I totally disagree. The market wants options.
    And the market has options.

Right now, you will pay MSRP plus a premium to take delivery months from now for a Dodge Hellcat.

It doesn't take thousands of dollars of handouts and tax breaks from Uncle Sucker to entice people to buy them, or a new mid engined Corvette, or GT500 Mustang.

I know most of us don't like the way it's being pushed on us, but the market will ultimately decide.
    That's not a free market if it's nothing but government mandates.

If you could buy a simple, non computerized truck like a vintage 1970 GMC or F100, they would outsell everything on the market today.

I work for a major automaker. Our EVs are way less reliable than our ICE cars. They haven't made it out of the warranty period yet, so customers aren't paying the cost for repairs, but it is huge. The warranty cost on the EVs are many times more than than comparable ICE models but make up a way smaller fraction. All the talk about moving parts really misses the point, because engines have become pretty reliable internally. It's all the stuff bolted to them that fail. The EV has a cooling system way more complicated than an ICE. Not only does the motor need cooling on an EV, but so do many of the modules and the battery. All those need pumps and valves. The batteries are where the real failure comes in. Lithium battery cells aren't stable and reliable enough to have a 70Kw or more battery. One cell goes out of spec and the whole battery has to be disassembled to replace that cell module. Once these age, this will likely be a regular occurrence.

That being said they're ok for two or more car households. If a person's commute works with the range, they're cheap to operate for the time being. Once they introduce per mile taxes, that advantage will go away.

Quote Originally Posted by sparebulb View Post
    I doubt that it is under $15k, though.

Reported for a no seat belt violation. Don't you care about the well being of Americans? If I wanted a vehicle without seatbelts, I'd purchase a school bus.

Eventually one option (for motor bikes at least if not cars) could be portable power packs at convenience stores for emergency use.
    Another concern for EVs could be constant battery drainage even when not driving without a good Anti Virus installed.

Next few years might be critical for tug of war between ICE (Iraq) vs EV (Afgahnistan) paths ahead. At this point Made in China EVs prospects seem promising.

There's no reason hybrids SHOULDN'T be leading the charge right now for personal automobiles. Most people drive in the city/suburbs during the week and can use the electric. During the weekends or on longer trips, etc. would be when they use gas.

And of course in this model you have the best of both worlds - a vehicle that can run on electric around town with an option to kick over into gas when needed. But no...
    Welcome to the R3VOLUTION!

Lets talk after 12
    It is 10 years old with 250k on it. Doing just fine. Amazing engineering.
    __________________________________________________ ________________
    "A politician will do almost anything to keep their job, even become a patriot" - Hearst

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Collins View Post
    It is 10 years old with 250k on it. Doing just fine. Amazing engineering.
    I wouldn't consider it a true hybrid. Prius is basically a gas car with regenerative braking.

You can't drive it without fuel. Maybe like 2 miles.
    - Kim Kardashian

28. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    A used Nissan Leaf.
    Quote Originally Posted by Swordsmyth View Post
    Pinochet is the model
    Liberty preserving authoritarianism.
    Enforced internal open borders was one of the worst elements of the Constitution.

Reported for a no seat belt violation. Don't you care about the well being of Americans? If I wanted a vehicle without seatbelts, I'd purchase a school bus.
    Do school buses still not have seat belts?

I would have figured every seat would have seat belts & air bags by now.
    - Kim Kardashian

Do school buses still not have seat belts?

I would have figured every seat would have seat belts & air bags by now.
    feb 2020
    "To date, only eight states – California, Florida, Louisiana, Nevada, New Jersey, New York and Texas – require seat belts on school buses. Even then, school bus seat belt laws in Arkansas, Louisiana and Texas “are subject to appropriations or approval or denial by local jurisdictions,” according to the National Conference of State Legislatures."

https://www.nbcphiladelphia.com/news...belts/2294864/

feb 2020
    "To date, only eight states – California, Florida, Louisiana, Nevada, New Jersey, New York and Texas – require seat belts on school buses. Even then, school bus seat belt laws in Arkansas, Louisiana and Texas “are subject to appropriations or approval or denial by local jurisdictions,” according to the National Conference of State Legislatures."

https://www.nbcphiladelphia.com/news...belts/2294864/
    Nice. It's good to know that children in Texas are safe.

The other states? I suppose they just want kids to die.
    - Kim Kardashian

If you could buy a simple, non computerized truck like a vintage 1970 GMC or F100, they would outsell everything on the market today.
    LOL. Yer brainwashed. If only Amy could see this. Remember when Coke and Pepsi commercials always mentioned each other, but never mentioned Royal Crown or any other cola? They learned that trick from Ford and Chevy.

And the really funny thing is, you wouldn't have that dillettante Chevy. It has coils and four links under its ass. And you picked the Jimmy version, with a big, fat V-6 guaranteed to be a better vibrator than a Harley. You already know Twin I Beam is stone knives and bearskins. I won't even drive a vehicle with front wheels that change camber over bumps. It's like running a Corvair backwards. Unsafe at any speed.

You have a problem with the 1971 Power Wagon? Internationals too rugged for you? You could drive this, and not be entertained?

Is there a man with soul so dead? I'm going to expand your horizons if it kills me.

The problem with you is the problem with Republican primary voters. You could have had a Ron Paul working for you, but daddy always bought a McCain. So there you are with a torch and a sledge trying to make it less dangerous.
    Last edited by acptulsa; 09-02-2021 at 01:48 PM.
    You only want the freedoms that will undermine the nation and lead to the destruction of liberty.

Never mind that power transmission towers should have never been built on muddy river bank in the first place.

Over half of the gas stations in New Orleans and Baton Rouge are out of fuel as the cities remain without power because of Ida, and now a heatwave has arrived
    https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/ov...ved/ar-AANZmEA

CNN
    Half the gas stations in New Orleans and Baton Rouge are without fuel
    https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/ha...uel/ar-AANYZ7F
    Liberty is lost through complacency and a subservient mindset. When we accept or even welcome automobile checkpoints, random searches, mandatory identification cards, and paramilitary police in our streets, we have lost a vital part of our American heritage. America was born of protest, revolution, and mistrust of government. Subservient societies neither maintain nor deserve freedom for long.
    Ron Paul 2004

Registered Ron Paul supporter # 2202
    It's all about Freedom

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast