Thread: Chewing nicotine gum 4 times a day may help restore taste and smell lost to COVID

Chewing nicotine gum 4 times a day may help restore taste and smell lost to COVID

I'll be dipped.

I've had funky COVID nose for months now, ever since contracting the goddamn thing back in Sept 21.

Weird smells, diminished taste and smell, loss of taste and smell for some things.

About a month ago, I smoked a cigar for the first time in years, a nice macanudo.

And now, thinking about it, I recall an improvement in taste in smell that lasted about week, until catching a head cold and back to square one.

I'm getting some tomorrow and giving this a try.

Will report back.

What You Don’t Know About Nicotine

https://performancemedicine.net/2022...about-nicotine

by Dr. Tom Rogers | Sep 13, 2022 | Chronological, Primary Care | 0 comments

Morning everyone!

Welcome to another edition of the Doctor’s Note where we talk about what’s on our minds when it comes to your health. This week I’m going to talk about NICOTINE, the dreaded substance that’s been linked to tobacco for years. Although you may think there is nothing more to say, there’s another side to the story that needs to be told.

Let’s dive in!

Nicotine

Unfortunately, nicotine has been doomed because of its association with smoking. Nicotine is the most “famous” part of tobacco, which links it to all the harms of smoking:

Heart Disease
    Emphysema
    Cancer

But the truth is, the nicotine in tobacco is the only thing that doesn’t cause these diseases. Nicotine actually has benefits, especially with neurodegenerative diseases. It is good for the brain!

How it Works

Nicotine binds to acetylcholine (receptors in your brain) and stimulates the cholinergic system in your body. This neurotransmitter called acetylcholine controls muscle contraction, and also works with the immune system. Nicotine regulates inflammation and stimulates other neurotransmitters like: serotonin, epinephrine, norepinephrine, and most importantly dopamine (that reward neurotransmitter that we talk about all the time). That’s why it’s so addictive, especially when smoked.

Note: Dopamine helps people focus. It relaxes them. It delivers pleasure. Dopamine helps Parkinson’s Disease (a disease of dopamine depletion). In fact, those who smoke have a lot less incidence of Parkinson’s, most likely because of nicotine.

When you smoke, nicotine hits your brain in about 8 seconds. It makes you want more! Personally, I never could figure out why people wanted to smoke. It must be because of the nicotine. People who smoke know they are gumming their lungs up and causing all kinds of problems, yet they smoke anyway.

I have patients who come see me who are overweight, have multiple other problems, and are nit picky about their hormone levels. Then, I find out they smoke two packs of cigarettes per day, and wonder why? I often tell them if you continue to smoke, this other stuff doesn’t matter at all. There’s nothing you can do to help your health if you’re smoking, which is true. Smoking is definitely the worst thing you could ever do for your health.

Point being, I’m totally against smoking or dipping snuff. Dipping snuff causes oral cancers, ruins your teeth, and in my opinion, stinks. It’s just not common sense. But, let’s go back to “another side of the story”.

Crazy Health Facts About Nicotine

Can nicotine be good for you? How ironic, yet interesting.

Nicotine is neuro protective. Some researchers believe it’s the most reliable cognitive enhancer that we have. Studies from the Vanderbilt Center for
    Cognitive Medicine found that it’s as effective as ritalin for ADHD. Think about that.

Nicotine helps (some people) regain their taste and smell after Covid. Some of my patients told me after chewing Nicotine gum 4x a day, it helped them recover their taste and smell. Note: it doesn’t work for everyone. Remember we are unique individuals.

Nicotine helps you burn fat. That’s one reason why when people quit smoking they gain weight. Nicotine activates thermogenesis (the burning of fat).

Nicotine helps your short term memory.

Nicotine helps reaction time and can actually improve athletic performance. That’s why you see some athletes using snuff (and it’s legal).

Nicotine helps people with schizophrenia. Many patients with schizophrenia smoke because it helps them.

Nicotine may delay or even prevent mild cognitive impairment (MCI) from developing into Alzheimer’s Disease, according to Researchers at
    Vanderbilt. There are lots of studies going on right now with that.

Nicotine can also be anti estrogenic. Estrogen is good for women, and not so good for men. Both need the right levels and those levels are different for men and women. So for men, nicotine almost acts like an aromatase inhibitor. It may help your testosterone from turning into estrogen.

Nicotine, as a drug class, is a stimulant that causes decreased appetite, heightened mood, and helps your memory and your alertness.

Note: with that being said, nicotine may also increase your heart rate and blood pressure. Other side effects include:

Nausea
    Diarrhea
    Headaches
    Sleep problems

Nicotine Gum and Nicotine Patches

As you have figured, I hate smoking. The gum and patches are less addictive if for some reason you have to try it. Definitely try the gum and patches if you are wanting to QUIT smoking. Note: I highly recommend QUIT SMOKING.

The patches are my favorite (having a longer half life). You may, also, want to try the gum for getting your taste and smell back if you have Long Covid. If you use the gum, start at 2mg. If you use the patch (they come in 24mg). You can even cut them up in quarters. You put the patch on in the morning and if it causes sleep problems, take it off at night. It’s definitely helpful for smoke cessation. There’s no doubt about that.

Crazy Ending

As crazy as it sounds, nicotine in smokers may inhibit the penetration and spread of Covid-19 and have a prophylactic effect. BUT, it’s ridiculous to say you should smoke to prevent Covid-19, because definitely people with terrible lung function (which you will get from smoking) do much worse and usually have more severe cases of Covid.

Note: it is interesting that there were less Covid hospitalizations in smokers than in non smokers.

I hope this Note opens your eyes a bit about nicotine. I think we need to study it more and weigh the risks versus the benefits when it comes to using it for prevention and treatment of disease. I’ll say it again, if you are a smoker, definitely try the gum or patch to QUIT. Besides being obese and inactive, it is the worst thing you can do for your health.

Till next week.
    Another mark of a tyrant is that he likes foreigners better than citizens, and lives with them and invites them to his table; for the one are enemies, but the Others enter into no rivalry with him. - Aristotle's Politics Book 5 Part 11

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.

Another mark of a tyrant is that he likes foreigners better than citizens, and lives with them and invites them to his table; for the one are enemies, but the Others enter into no rivalry with him. - Aristotle's Politics Book 5 Part 11

Just be forewarned all nicotine gum contains aspartame...

Nicotine helps people with schizophrenia. Many patients with schizophrenia smoke because it helps them.
    I think the jury is out on a lot of those claims. But this hypotheses is why smoking is so prevalent among street people and the mentally ill. They tell each other that it works, although obviously it doesn’t.
    "Foreign aid is taking money from the poor people of a rich country, and giving it to the rich people of a poor country." - Ron Paul
    "Beware the Military-Industrial-Financial-Pharma-Corporate-Internet-Media-Government Complex." - B4L update of General Dwight D. Eisenhower
    "Debt is the drug, Wall St. Banksters are the dealers, and politicians are the addicts." - B4L
    "Totally free immigration? I've never taken that position. I believe in national sovereignty." - Ron Paul

Proponent of real science.
    The views and opinions expressed here are solely my own, and do not represent this forum or any other entities or persons.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian4Liberty View Post
    I think the jury is out on a lot of those claims. But this hypotheses is why smoking is so prevalent among street people and the mentally ill. They tell each other that it works, although obviously it doesn’t.
    Most street people also are addicted to drugs/alcohol as well.

I think it's just an indication of an addictive/compulsive personality.

Which is most likely why they ended up on the streets.

Quote Originally Posted by Working Poor View Post
    Just be forewarned all nicotine gum contains aspartame...
    I know the stuff is no good and I know it affects many people badly, but it doesn't phase me.

I'm just looking forward to seeing if it helps olfactory recovery, post COVID

I tried telling people this months ago when I was researching the nicotine aspect.

@ the 17:00 mark

Explosive! Dr. Ardis: Nicotine - The New Vaccine for COVID-19 (Video)
    https://beforeitsnews.com/alternativ...o-3776419.html
    “The spirits of darkness are now among us. We have to be on guard so that we may realize what is happening when we encounter them and gain a real idea of where they are to be found. The most dangerous thing you can do in the immediate future will be to give yourself up unconsciously to the influences which are definitely present.” ~ Rudolf Steiner

“The spirits of darkness are now among us. We have to be on guard so that we may realize what is happening when we encounter them and gain a real idea of where they are to be found. The most dangerous thing you can do in the immediate future will be to give yourself up unconsciously to the influences which are definitely present.” ~ Rudolf Steiner

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    BUMP

Quote Originally Posted by Anti Federalist View Post
    I know the stuff is no good and I know it affects many people badly, but it doesn't phase me.

It will eventually hurt you if you are human. It is about DNA and it will eventually eat the part of your code that protects you from the fx.

Get some chewing tobacco. There is a big reason why tobacco is demonized by tptb and it has nothing to do with bad health. Oh btw the French and the NIH did a study and found that smokers were 17% less likely to catch cv19.

Here is an NIH link

https://clinicaltrials.gov/ct2/show/NCT04583410

When I first heard of this "long covid" thing and people claimed that they lost their taste or smell, the first thing I did was look to see if that was a symptom of a vitamin or mineral or whatever deficiency. Since zinc was being promoted as a way to combat covid, I started with zinc and bingo...

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/books/NBK493231/

Multiple organ systems are affected by zinc deficiency. Its role within the reproductive system manifests clinically as hypogonadism and associated complications and oligospermia.[33][34][35] Central nervous system (CNS) involvement can present as emotional lability, mental disturbances, impaired taste, and smell, as well as photophobia.[36] Immune dysfunction predisposes individuals to a myriad of infectious complications.[37] GI symptoms may manifest as significant diarrhea.[18]
    Also, drinkers tend to have lower zinc levels. The excerpt references "alcohol use disorder" but I have to imagine that even "normal" drinking will effect zinc levels.

https://ods.od.nih.gov/factsheets/zi...hProfessional/

Low zinc status has been observed in 30% to 50% of people with alcohol use disorder [1,50]. Ethanol consumption decreases intestinal absorption of zinc and increases urinary zinc excretion [1,50,51,52]. In addition, the variety and amount of food consumed by many people with alcohol use disorder is limited, leading to inadequate zinc intake [53,54].
    So maybe Zinc + Quercetin?
    “Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want and deserve to get it good and hard.”

H.L. Mencken

My sons indicated, when they used this....
    Xlear Nasal Spray

https://www.amazon.com/Xylitol-Purif...s%2C145&sr=8-7

They were able to smell things again in just a couple of days.

I believe it was because it contains Grapefruit Seed Extract.

Looks like there are two different kinds now as I see they have one that's just saline nasal spray.

Edit: I believe they had to change the label so as to indicate the Grapefruit Seed Extract is used as a preservative and not an active ingredient.

Seems the government got after them awhile back.

Check this out.
    https://www.startpage.com/sp/search
    search term: grapefruit seed extract covid-19
    Last edited by Dr.3D; 12-22-2022 at 12:01 PM.

Well, it's been a few weeks and two bouts, back to back, of nasty run of the mill head colds: snot, sniffling and coughing.

And I'm here to report some degree of success.

That's with irregular use and the normal loss of taste and smell that goes along with head congestion.

But what I have noticed is that things are smelling and tasting normally now, which was a really freaky side effect of CCP19, that things tasted weird, not normal and not identifiable.

And that never fully went away.

Now that the colds are gone, I'm going to make sure that I take the recommended dose - 4 - four mg gum pieces every day and let you know in another couple of weeks.

What about nicotine patches?
    You might also try the Nicotinic Acid form of Niacin in addition to the nicotine.
    500 mg a day.
    Never attempt to teach a pig to sing; it wastes your time and annoys the pig.

Robert Heinlein

Give a man an inch and right away he thinks he's a ruler

Groucho Marx

I love mankind…it’s people I can’t stand.

Linus, from the Peanuts comic

You cannot have liberty without morality and morality without faith

Alexis de Torqueville

Those who fail to learn from the past are condemned to repeat it.
    Those who learn from the past are condemned to watch everybody else repeat it

A Zero Hedge comment

Quote Originally Posted by Swordsmyth View Post
    You might also try the Nicotinic Acid form of Niacin in addition to the nicotine.
    500 mg a day.
    Possibly, but I think part of what makes this work is the fact the nicotine is in direct contact with taste buds and mucus membranes of the mouth and throat.

I'll be dipped.

I've had funky COVID nose for months now, ever since contracting the goddamn thing back in Sept 21.

Weird smells, diminished taste and smell, loss of taste and smell for some things.

About a month ago, I smoked a cigar for the first time in years, a nice macanudo.

And now, thinking about it, I recall an improvement in taste in smell that lasted about week, until catching a head cold and back to square one.

I'm getting some tomorrow and giving this a try.

Will report back.

What You Don’t Know About Nicotine

https://performancemedicine.net/2022...about-nicotine

by Dr. Tom Rogers | Sep 13, 2022 | Chronological, Primary Care | 0 comments

Morning everyone!

Welcome to another edition of the Doctor’s Note where we talk about what’s on our minds when it comes to your health. This week I’m going to talk about NICOTINE, the dreaded substance that’s been linked to tobacco for years. Although you may think there is nothing more to say, there’s another side to the story that needs to be told.

Let’s dive in!

Nicotine

Unfortunately, nicotine has been doomed because of its association with smoking. Nicotine is the most “famous” part of tobacco, which links it to all the harms of smoking:

Heart Disease
    Emphysema
    Cancer

But the truth is, the nicotine in tobacco is the only thing that doesn’t cause these diseases. Nicotine actually has benefits, especially with neurodegenerative diseases. It is good for the brain!

How it Works

Nicotine binds to acetylcholine (receptors in your brain) and stimulates the cholinergic system in your body. This neurotransmitter called acetylcholine controls muscle contraction, and also works with the immune system. Nicotine regulates inflammation and stimulates other neurotransmitters like: serotonin, epinephrine, norepinephrine, and most importantly dopamine (that reward neurotransmitter that we talk about all the time). That’s why it’s so addictive, especially when smoked.

Note: Dopamine helps people focus. It relaxes them. It delivers pleasure. Dopamine helps Parkinson’s Disease (a disease of dopamine depletion). In fact, those who smoke have a lot less incidence of Parkinson’s, most likely because of nicotine.

When you smoke, nicotine hits your brain in about 8 seconds. It makes you want more! Personally, I never could figure out why people wanted to smoke. It must be because of the nicotine. People who smoke know they are gumming their lungs up and causing all kinds of problems, yet they smoke anyway.

I have patients who come see me who are overweight, have multiple other problems, and are nit picky about their hormone levels. Then, I find out they smoke two packs of cigarettes per day, and wonder why? I often tell them if you continue to smoke, this other stuff doesn’t matter at all. There’s nothing you can do to help your health if you’re smoking, which is true. Smoking is definitely the worst thing you could ever do for your health.

Point being, I’m totally against smoking or dipping snuff. Dipping snuff causes oral cancers, ruins your teeth, and in my opinion, stinks. It’s just not common sense. But, let’s go back to “another side of the story”.

Crazy Health Facts About Nicotine

Can nicotine be good for you? How ironic, yet interesting.

Nicotine is neuro protective. Some researchers believe it’s the most reliable cognitive enhancer that we have. Studies from the Vanderbilt Center for
    Cognitive Medicine found that it’s as effective as ritalin for ADHD. Think about that.

Nicotine helps (some people) regain their taste and smell after Covid. Some of my patients told me after chewing Nicotine gum 4x a day, it helped them recover their taste and smell. Note: it doesn’t work for everyone. Remember we are unique individuals.

Nicotine helps you burn fat. That’s one reason why when people quit smoking they gain weight. Nicotine activates thermogenesis (the burning of fat).

Nicotine helps your short term memory.

Nicotine helps reaction time and can actually improve athletic performance. That’s why you see some athletes using snuff (and it’s legal).

Nicotine may delay or even prevent mild cognitive impairment (MCI) from developing into Alzheimer’s Disease, according to Researchers at
    Vanderbilt. There are lots of studies going on right now with that.

Nicotine can also be anti estrogenic. Estrogen is good for women, and not so good for men. Both need the right levels and those levels are different for men and women. So for men, nicotine almost acts like an aromatase inhibitor. It may help your testosterone from turning into estrogen.

Nicotine, as a drug class, is a stimulant that causes decreased appetite, heightened mood, and helps your memory and your alertness.

Note: with that being said, nicotine may also increase your heart rate and blood pressure. Other side effects include:

Nausea
    Diarrhea
    Headaches
    Sleep problems

Nicotine Gum and Nicotine Patches

As you have figured, I hate smoking. The gum and patches are less addictive if for some reason you have to try it. Definitely try the gum and patches if you are wanting to QUIT smoking. Note: I highly recommend QUIT SMOKING.

The patches are my favorite (having a longer half life). You may, also, want to try the gum for getting your taste and smell back if you have Long Covid. If you use the gum, start at 2mg. If you use the patch (they come in 24mg). You can even cut them up in quarters. You put the patch on in the morning and if it causes sleep problems, take it off at night. It’s definitely helpful for smoke cessation. There’s no doubt about that.

Crazy Ending

As crazy as it sounds, nicotine in smokers may inhibit the penetration and spread of Covid-19 and have a prophylactic effect. BUT, it’s ridiculous to say you should smoke to prevent Covid-19, because definitely people with terrible lung function (which you will get from smoking) do much worse and usually have more severe cases of Covid.

Note: it is interesting that there were less Covid hospitalizations in smokers than in non smokers.

I hope this Note opens your eyes a bit about nicotine. I think we need to study it more and weigh the risks versus the benefits when it comes to using it for prevention and treatment of disease. I’ll say it again, if you are a smoker, definitely try the gum or patch to QUIT. Besides being obese and inactive, it is the worst thing you can do for your health.

Till next week.
    Taken from a comment at another site:

He began taking prednisone Sunday and today he can taste again
    Never attempt to teach a pig to sing; it wastes your time and annoys the pig.

Robert Heinlein

Give a man an inch and right away he thinks he's a ruler

Groucho Marx

I love mankind…it’s people I can’t stand.

Linus, from the Peanuts comic

You cannot have liberty without morality and morality without faith

Alexis de Torqueville

Those who fail to learn from the past are condemned to repeat it.
    Those who learn from the past are condemned to watch everybody else repeat it

A Zero Hedge comment

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Still seems to be working.

Quote Originally Posted by Working Poor View Post
    Get some chewing tobacco.
    Quote Originally Posted by Swordsmyth View Post

Chewing tobacco can cause oral cancer. Why? I dunno..

I'm guessing these Zyn nicotine packets are probably fine. They work well, it's a lot cleaner. White powder nicotine salt and maltitol sugar alcohol for sweetening. No brown spit, everything is contained in the packet until you spit it in the trash. I've bummed some from people before, if I'm at a bar or something and someone is passing them out.

Also very affordable.
    Last edited by dannno; 01-26-2023 at 09:40 PM.
    "He's talkin' to his gut like it's a person!!" -me
    "dumpster diving isn't professional." - angelatc
    "You don't need a medical degree to spot obvious bullshit, that's actually a separate skill." -Scott Adams
    "When you are divided, and angry, and controlled, you target those 'different' from you, not those responsible [controllers]" -Q

"Each of us must choose which course of action we should take: education, conventional political action, or even peaceful civil disobedience to bring about necessary changes. But let it not be said that we did nothing." - Ron Paul

"Paul said "the wave of the future" is a coalition of anti-authoritarian progressive Democrats and libertarian Republicans in Congress opposed to domestic surveillance, opposed to starting new wars and in favor of ending the so-called War on Drugs."