Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Marriage Is Declining Because Men Are Pigs

Exclamation Marriage Is Declining Because Men Are Pigs

Marriage Is Declining Because Men Are Pigs

https://www.motherjones.com/kevin-dr...ning-men-pigs/

Kevin DrumMar. 24, 2016 5:07 PM

Over at the Washington Monthly, Anne Kim muses on the spectacular decline in marriage over the past few decades:

The seeming decline of marriage includes one major caveat: educated elites. When it comes to marriage, divorce, and single motherhood, the 1950s never ended for college-educated Americans, and for college-educated women in particular….The share of young college-graduate white women who were married in 2010 was a little over 70 percent—almost exactly the same as it was in 1950.

….It’s also seemingly only Americans with four-year degrees or better who appear immune to the broader cultural and social forces eroding marriage. In 1950, white women with “some college,” such as an associate’s degree, were actually more likely to be married than their better-educated sisters. Today, it’s the opposite. Though women with a high school diploma or less have seen the sharpest drop in marriage rates, the decline has been almost as severe—and ongoing—for women just one short rung down the education ladder, regardless of race.

Why has marriage declined in America? Here’s my dorm room bull theory: it’s because men are pigs.

I know, I know: #NotAllMen blah blah blah. That said, let’s unpack this a bit. Basically, an awful lot of men are—and always have been—volatile and unreliable. They drink, they get abusive, and they do stupid stuff. They’re bad with money, they don’t help with the kids, and they don’t help around the house. They demand subservience. They demand sex. And even on the one dimension they’re supposedly good for—being breadwinners—they frequently tend to screw up and get fired.

In other words, marriage has been a bad deal for women pretty much forever. But they’ve been forced into it by cultural mores and economic imperatives, and that’s the only reason it’s been nearly universal in the past.

Nothing has changed much about that. It’s still a bad deal for an awful lot of women, but cultural mores and economic imperatives have changed, and that means more women can afford to do what’s right for themselves and stay unmarried these days.

But there’s one exception to this: the college educated. Well-educated men are fairly reliable; they have good earning power; they generally aren’t abusive; and they’ve been willing—slowly but steadily—to change their habits and help out with kids and housework. For college-educated women, then, marriage is a relatively good deal. For everyone else, not so much.

And that’s why marriage is declining among all groups except the college educated. For an awful lot of women, it’s just a lousy deal. They’re tired of putting up with all the crap they get from men, and so they’re opting out. They’ll opt back in when men start to pull their own weight. There’s no telling when that’s going to start happening.
    Another mark of a tyrant is that he likes foreigners better than citizens, and lives with them and invites them to his table; for the one are enemies, but the Others enter into no rivalry with him. - Aristotle's Politics Book 5 Part 11

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    LOL, I just noticed this is from 2016.

Yeah right, keep on thinking that...

If its a bad deal for women, then why do we care that its declining? Pick one.
    In New Zealand:
    The Coastguard is a Charity
    Air Traffic Control is a private company run on user fees
    The DMV is a private non-profit
    Rescue helicopters and ambulances are operated by charities and are plastered with corporate logos
    The agriculture industry has zero subsidies
    5% of the national vote, gets you 5 seats in Parliament
    A tax return has 4 fields
    Business licenses aren't a thing
    Prostitution is legal
    We have a constitutional right to refuse any type of medical care

"He's talkin' to his gut like it's a person!!" -me
    "dumpster diving isn't professional." - angelatc
    "You don't need a medical degree to spot obvious bullshit, that's actually a separate skill." -Scott Adams
    "When you are divided, and angry, and controlled, you target those 'different' from you, not those responsible [controllers]" -Q

"Each of us must choose which course of action we should take: education, conventional political action, or even peaceful civil disobedience to bring about necessary changes. But let it not be said that we did nothing." - Ron Paul

"Paul said "the wave of the future" is a coalition of anti-authoritarian progressive Democrats and libertarian Republicans in Congress opposed to domestic surveillance, opposed to starting new wars and in favor of ending the so-called War on Drugs."

That reminds me, I haven't asked Mr A for my divorce in a week or two.

*I just noticed that we got new emojis. I usually just type in my emoji and rarely click the button. I wonder if timosemen's noticed.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron Paul View Post
    The intellectual battle for liberty can appear to be a lonely one at times. However, the numbers are not as important as the principles that we hold. Leonard Read always taught that "it's not a numbers game, but an ideological game." That's why it's important to continue to provide a principled philosophy as to what the role of government ought to be, despite the numbers that stare us in the face.
    Quote Originally Posted by Origanalist View Post
    This intellectually stimulating conversation is the reason I keep coming here.

Quote Originally Posted by dannno View Post
    He's quoting Anne Kim.

Over at the Washington Monthly, Anne Kim muses on the spectacular decline in marriage over the past few decades
    The intellectual battle for liberty can appear to be a lonely one at times. However, the numbers are not as important as the principles that we hold. Leonard Read always taught that "it's not a numbers game, but an ideological game." That's why it's important to continue to provide a principled philosophy as to what the role of government ought to be, despite the numbers that stare us in the face.

Quote Originally Posted by Suzanimal View Post

*I just noticed that we got new emojis. I usually just type in my emoji and rarely click the button. I wonder if timosemen's noticed.
    Best I can tell he only needs one emoji .
    Do something Danke

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Is there a chart for Mormons and immigrants ?
    Do something Danke

As long as my wives do what I tell them it is all good .
    Do something Danke

You missed
    Never attempt to teach a pig to sing; it wastes your time and annoys the pig.

Robert Heinlein

Give a man an inch and right away he thinks he's a ruler

Groucho Marx

I love mankind…it’s people I can’t stand.

Linus, from the Peanuts comic

You cannot have liberty without morality and morality without faith

Alexis de Torqueville

Those who fail to learn from the past are condemned to repeat it.
    Those who learn from the past are condemned to watch everybody else repeat it

A Zero Hedge comment

When divorce became so tilted in the wife's favor and several generations watched it happen to their fathers and uncles and family friends then young men figured it was not an option almost as if they were following Christ's teachings about it and then they started thinking like the disciples:

Matthew 19:10

“His disciples say unto him, If the case of the man be so with his wife, it is not good to marry.”

King James Version (KJV)

And that the crop of girls for the last few generations was even less enticing than those in the past didn't help either.
    Never attempt to teach a pig to sing; it wastes your time and annoys the pig.

Robert Heinlein

Give a man an inch and right away he thinks he's a ruler

Groucho Marx

I love mankind…it’s people I can’t stand.

Linus, from the Peanuts comic

You cannot have liberty without morality and morality without faith

Alexis de Torqueville

Those who fail to learn from the past are condemned to repeat it.
    Those who learn from the past are condemned to watch everybody else repeat it

A Zero Hedge comment

They demand subservience. They demand sex.
    And?

Men are pigs...lol.

Quote Originally Posted by oyarde View Post

Pfizer Macht Frei!

Openly Straight Man, Danke, Awarded Top Rated Influencer. Community Standards Enforcer.

Quiz: Test Your "Income" Tax IQ!

Short Income Tax Video

The Income Tax Is An Excise, And Excise Taxes Are Privilege Taxes

The Federalist Papers, No. 15:

Except as to the rule of appointment, the United States have an indefinite discretion to make requisitions for men and money; but they have no authority to raise either by regulations extending to the individual citizens of America.

Quote Originally Posted by Anti Federalist View Post
    Men are pigs...lol.

Ban, pls.
    Pfizer Macht Frei!

Openly Straight Man, Danke, Awarded Top Rated Influencer. Community Standards Enforcer.

Short Income Tax Video

Except as to the rule of appointment, the United States have an indefinite discretion to make requisitions for men and money; but they have no authority to raise either by regulations extending to the individual citizens of America.

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Two

Quote Originally Posted by Danke View Post
    and

I'm sure it has nothing to do with losing half your $#@!, limited visitations to kids, alimony and child support, etc. Courts clean up their act, and maybe marriage will make a come back.
    Pfizer Macht Frei!

Short Income Tax Video

I'm sure it has nothing to do with losing half your $#@!, limited visitations to kids, alimony and child support, etc. Courts clean up their act, and maybe marriage will make a come back.
    And welfare.

Over the years, I've run across several parents who remained unmarried so they could milk the system.

And welfare.

Over the years, I've run across several parents who remained unmarried so they could milk the system.
    This is more common than you think.

But there’s one exception to this: the college educated. Well-educated men are fairly reliable; they have good earning power; they generally aren’t abusive; and they’ve been willing—slowly but steadily—to change their habits and help out with kids and housework. For college-educated women, then, marriage is a relatively good deal. For everyone else, not so much.
    The author assumes that marriage is a good deal for college educated women because they choose college educated men. This isn't the case. Marriage is a good deal for college educated women because of student loans, regardless of who they marry.
    All modern revolutions have ended in a reinforcement of the power of the State.
    -Albert Camus

Ban, pls.
    LOL - Men are pigs...

(LOL - No it's not...the only value that nasty gash of yours has is whatever worth men place on it. There is a price ceiling, and you screeching harridans have reached it. Enjoy dry humping each other and living with your cats. - AF)

LOL - Men are pigs...

(LOL - No it's not...the only value that nasty gash of yours has is whatever worth men place on it. There is a price ceiling, and you screeching harridans have reached it. Enjoy dry humping each other and living with your cats. - AF)

Mods?!

At least give us a break, is a month off too much to ask?
    Last edited by Danke; 07-10-2018 at 09:05 AM.
    Pfizer Macht Frei!

Short Income Tax Video

As long as my wives do what I tell them it is all good .
    An Indian Elder knows best...

28. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Men are pigs...lol.

Dig in boys!

Quote Originally Posted by Marenco View Post
    Dig in boys!

Please don't encourage him.
    Pfizer Macht Frei!

Short Income Tax Video

Men are pigs...lol.

The chubby one is kind of cute
    Last edited by TheTexan; 07-10-2018 at 12:26 AM.
    It's all about taking action and not being lazy. So you do the work, whether it's fitness or whatever. It's about getting up, motivating yourself and just doing it.
    - Kim Kardashian

Donald Trump / Crenshaw 2024!!!!

My pronouns are he/him/his

Quote Originally Posted by TheTexan View Post
    You should get out more often.

Quote Originally Posted by TheTexan View Post
    OMG, now TheTexan too.

I may have to eat a bullet tonight.
    Pfizer Macht Frei!

Short Income Tax Video

(snort)

Don't need a weather man to know which way the wind blows

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast