Thread: Sen. Rand Paul to hold hearings on Afghanistan papers

Sen. Rand Paul to hold hearings on Afghanistan papers

This should be good!

Paul also said he would soon be arranging a hearing on documents published by The Washington Post indicating U.S. military commanders privately acknowledged lack of progress in Afghanistan and little hope for the future.

“It troubles me that in private commanders and generals have been saying for decades that there’s no mission in Afghanistan,” he said.
    https://thehill.com/homenews/sunday-...e-difficult-to

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Was there any incentive for them to end the war?

Quote Originally Posted by timosman View Post
    Was there any incentive for them to end the war?
    What you subsidize you get more of, a wise man once said.

Hour long presentation on the Afghan papers, hint it is not what the establishment Washington post who is reporting on this want you to think it is.

Quote Originally Posted by juleswin View Post
    Hour long presentation on the Afghan papers, hint it is not what the establishment Washington post who is reporting on this want you to think it is.
    its Sunday Jules can you give us a synopsis?

Quote Originally Posted by Warlord View Post
    its Sunday Jules can you give us a synopsis?
    The Afghanistan Papers! The Afghanistan Papers! Everyone is talking about the Afghanistan Papers! These "incredible" documents must be full of "explosive revelations" about the US-led NATO invasion and 18-year presence in Afghanistan, right? That's what everyone is saying. But what if I were to tell you that this "bombshell" report from The Washington Post isn't just a Nothingburger, but is actually an establishment whitewash? You better brace yourself, because that's exactly what I'm going to tell you on this week's edition of The Corbett Report podcast.

The Big Reveal for the Washington Post this week is the release of the Afghanistan Papers. A series of interviews and documents “compiled in secret” and then the subject of a “legal challenge” from the US government.

The WaPo baldly calls it:
    But there’s nothing here that’s really secret, and very little actual history. What do they tell us? Absolutely nothing, except what we’re supposed to believe.

An awful lot of modern “leaks” are no such thing. They are Orwellian exercises in controlling the conversation. And this is no exception, carefully making sure the “establishment” and the “alternative” are joined in the middle, controlled from the same source.

It presents apologism, simplifications and outright fabrication as if they are classified information.

Telling us about “bad intelligence” and a “lack of coherent strategy”, as if THOSE are the biggest crimes of NATO in Afghanistan.

The Guardian articles on the release reinforce the official version of 9/11, The WaPo itself drops nods to the mythologised death of Osama Bin Laden.

It’s all about enforcing the establishment line, disguised as criticism. Real crimes are ignored, whilst smaller, simpler “well-intentioned mistakes” are reluctantly acknowledged.

Nowhere is the illegality of the invasion addressed.

Not once is anyone accused of war crimes.

The Guardian reports don’t mention the word opium, which is bad enough. The Washington Post goes even further – daring to relate the US Army’s struggle to “curb” the spread of the opium trade.

This is an outright lie. Before the 2001 invasion, the opium trade had been all but destroyed by the Taliban.

snip --

It’s all just so pathetic. A weak attempt to clean up a mess twenty-years in the making. Feeble efforts establish a narrative of false “controversy” by presenting us with a fully-formed, ready-meal “alternative opinion”, so all those people who fancy themselves anti-establishment can gorge on outrage, whilst never having to do the difficult job of cancelling their newspaper subscriptions or doing their own research.

Here’s the real “secret history” of the Afganistan war: It wasn’t a failure, it was a success.

In every facet, on every front, Afghanistan is exactly what America needed it to be.

They dripfeed in the blood of young Americans, they destroy 100,000s of Afghan lives, and they reap the rewards they always intended to reap:
    https://off-guardian.org/2019/12/15/...XfSa7l07k5t9J_

Its quite a bit much, but follow the link and the articles has a ton of link in it that links to the evidence of whatever they are talking about. I sate to be the bearer of bad news but if this so called secret document is basis of what he is investigating then it will not go anywhere. Good luck to him anyway, maybe its all a trick.

It’s amazing how Chuck Todd and the other media whores can ignore and change the topic every time the Afghanistan papers are mentioned.
    "Foreign aid is taking money from the poor people of a rich country, and giving it to the rich people of a poor country." - Ron Paul
    "Beware the Military-Industrial-Financial-Pharma-Corporate-Internet-Media-Government Complex." - B4L update of General Dwight D. Eisenhower
    "Debt is the drug, Wall St. Banksters are the dealers, and politicians are the addicts." - B4L
    "Totally free immigration? I've never taken that position. I believe in national sovereignty." - Ron Paul

Proponent of real science.
    The views and opinions expressed here are solely my own, and do not represent this forum or any other entities or persons.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian4Liberty View Post
    It’s amazing how Chuck Todd and the other media whores can ignore and change the topic every time the Afghanistan papers are mentioned.
    And what is the big reveal from the Afghan papers that you will like Chuck Todd to talk about? maybe we can discuss it here instead

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    And what is the big reveal from the Afghan papers that you will like Chuck Todd to talk about? maybe we can discuss it here instead

The Afghanistan Papers are a set of internal documents from the Special Inspector General for Afghanistan Reconstruction (SIGAR) obtained by The Washington Post through a Freedom of Information Act request that document the US war in Afghanistan.[1][2][3] The documents reveal that high-ranking officials were generally of the opinion that the war was unwinnable, but kept this hidden from the public.[1][4][5][6] NPR host Lulu Garcia-Navarro said that the "new Pentagon Papers describe explicit and sustained efforts by the US government to deliberately mislead the public.

Due to the nature of the content within the Afghanistan Papers, numerous public officials commented on their content in the days following Whitlock's initial article. The following offer a sampling from across the political spectrum:

Senator Rand Paul: "I think our young men and women that we send to war, our best and our brightest, they deserve better. They deserve an open airing of what is the mission. I've been saying for several years now that I can't meet a general anywhere who can tell me really what is the mission we're trying to accomplish in Afghanistan."[8]
    -

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Afghanistan_Papers

If it's a nothing-burger im sure Rand will expand on it and try and get some answers. He is very sharp.

Quote Originally Posted by Warlord View Post
    -

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Afghanistan_Papers

If it's a nothing-burger im sure Rand will expand on it and try and get some answers. He is very sharp.
    And do we know this from the top secret reveal from the Afghan papers?

And do we know this from the top secret reveal from the Afghan papers?
    Rand is generally antiwar and will use any means to advance the agenda in our interests...