Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Senate votes to block Trump's emergency declaration

Senate votes to block Trump's emergency declaration

In a setback for GOP-Adelson wing, Senate that rarely comes across a domestic/foreign spending bill that it doesn't like has finally voted against a spending Bill that MAGA desperately needed after recent gov shutdown fiasco that was seen as a political defeat by big part of GOP base and caused some high profile defections, 'scam' allegations and controversial FOLDing memes etc. This in turn may cause POTUS to finally take out veto pen that has not been seen in last couple of years of 'small gummit' America-Firster big spender debt exploding governance (national debt has surpassed $22T mark now).

18 min ago
    Senate votes to block Trump's emergency declaration

The Senate voted to block President Trump's emergency declaration, with 12 Republicans joining Democrats.
    The final vote was 59 to 41.

What this means: The vote is a defeat for the White House. Both Trump and Vice President Mike Pence campaigned against the measure and now Trump will be forced to veto the resolution -- the first veto of his presidency.

https://www.cnn.com/politics/live-ne...ncy/index.html

Related

Ann Coulter: National Emergency Designed ‘for Trump to Scam the Stupidest People in His Base’

“Why would you [vote for him again]? Coulter calls border agreement Trump's 'Yellow New Deal'

US Senate’s First Bill, in Midst of Shutdown, to ensure $38B Aid to Israel and no boycotts

Wall money-shutdown showdown causes memes fury on twitter

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    We have a roll call ?
    Do something Danke

Quote Originally Posted by oyarde View Post
    We have a roll call ?
    CNN got that up quick I guess. As of now, the roll call isn't up on senate.gov yet.

It's not a full roll call, but here's a list of the 12 Republicans who voted for the bill (i.e. against Trump's emergency declaration):
    http://www.rollcall.com/news/congres...onal-emergency

Supporting Member
    Phoenix, AZ

Blog Entries
    So it looks like this doesn't really matter because Trump will veto it and there won't be any override. Am I wrong?
    Citizen of Arizona
    @cleaner4d4

I am a libertarian. I am advocating everyone enjoy maximum freedom on both personal and economic issues as long as they do not bring violence unto others.

Quote Originally Posted by Cleaner44 View Post
    So it looks like this doesn't really matter because Trump will veto it and there won't be any override. Am I wrong?
    There is nothing to veto, nothing will be coming to his desk to sign.

Quote Originally Posted by juleswin View Post
    Why not?

Quote Originally Posted by juleswin View Post
    This doesn't apply to current outcome then or was fakenews?

March 14, 2019 / 6:58 AM / Updated 9 hours ago
    Trump vows to veto bill that would end border emergency declaration

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - U.S. President Donald Trump said on Thursday he would reject legislation that would end his national emergency declaration at the U.S. border, if the bill passes the U.S. Senate.
    “I am prepared to veto, if necessary,” Trump said in an early morning tweet sent as the Senate prepared to take up the measure later on Thursday.

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-u...-idUSKCN1QV1FS

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by Superfluous Man View Post
    Why not?
    Nvm, I see it now. The bill is to block his emergency declaration

While this is technical step in a process but this is a significant political rebuke.
    This was bound to be stuck for years in courts/ rejected and Senate vote shows a political Will also confirming same.
    Even MAGA allies had similar view:

Jeffrey Epstein's lawyer hints courts may not agree with MAGA's "emergency declaration"

Paul and Lee voted to uphold the Constitution. Cruz voted for blatant partisanship over principle.

Quote Originally Posted by Superfluous Man View Post
    It's not a full roll call, but here's a list of the 12 Republicans who voted for the bill (i.e. against Trump's emergency declaration):
    http://www.rollcall.com/news/congres...onal-emergency
    Seems like trump could have gotten Lee and Portman if he had given them something .
    Do something Danke

There will never be 2/3 of anything to overide anything I suspect ?
    Do something Danke

A lot of the GOP Senators have switched positions just in the past couple weeks . They seem confused .
    Do something Danke

How did they invoke cloture with only 59 votes? Are the usual weak excuses ineffective in this matter?
    Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Ryan
    In Washington you can see them everywhere: the Parasites and baby Stalins sucking the life out of a once-great nation.

Quote Originally Posted by fedupinmo View Post
    How did they invoke cloture with only 59 votes? Are the usual weak excuses ineffective in this matter?
    Do they need cloture if nobody filibusters?

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Supporting Member
    Phoenix, AZ

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by enhanced_deficit View Post
    While this is technical step in a process but this is a significant political rebuke.
    This was bound to be stuck for years in courts/ rejected and Senate vote shows a political Will also confirming same.
    Even MAGA allies had similar view:

Jeffrey Epstein's lawyer hints courts may not agree with MAGA's "emergency declaration"
    Significant political rebuke? What the hell does that matter? Washington DC is built on people doing whatever they want, even if it is blatantly unconstitutional and rarely are they stopped. Words don't matter, knowledge isn't power... the one thing that matters is action. Trump is taking action while the Congress is blabbering words. The barriers will keep going up on the border regardless of any rebuke.

Congress gave away much of their power of many decades. Stupid voters and politicians cheered creating a extra strong Executive branch. Nobody tried to seriously stop Obama or Bush or Clinton. We have had presidents create wars without Congressional declarations. We have unconstitutional spying on American citizens not suspected of any crimes. Let's face facts, the federal government of the US doesn't work for We The People.

Significant political rebuke. What next, strong words of disapproval from NY media corporations?
    Citizen of Arizona
    @cleaner4d4

I am a libertarian. I am advocating everyone enjoy maximum freedom on both personal and economic issues as long as they do not bring violence unto others.

Hypocrites, didn't do $#@! all the times Obama abused executive powers. Remember DACA??? legal status created without congress???
    I just want objectivity on this forum and will point out flawed sources or points of view at my leisure.

Quote Originally Posted by spudea on 01/15/24
    Trump will win every single state primary by double digits.
    Quote Originally Posted by spudea on 04/20/16
    There won't be a contested convention
    Quote Originally Posted by spudea on 05/30/17
    The shooting of Gabrielle Gifford was blamed on putting a crosshair on a political map. I wonder what event we'll see justified with pictures like this.

These are the 12 that would contribute to his impeachment if it ever got that far.
    Now some are really mad at Rand, calling for a primary challenge.
    Here is my issue with both sides on this Rand needs to be able to vote as a constitutional supporter on ideological grounds, Romney can go !@#$ himself he is the biggest traitor ever, he is just joining an Anti-Trump voting block.
    It bothers me when the MAGA faction has gone full cult devotion basically saying nobody can vote against Trump for any reason, their reaction to Rand, "I liked Rand, but I can't forgive him for this, primary the traitor" That is not rational or helpful to political discourse and we despise it when the DNC does their cult devotion thing.

I smell a lot of politics in this move. The republicans can look like the good guys in a sense by voting to block it, however they dont have the 67 to override a veto. Then they pass legislation to remove emergency powers so the next Dem president can't do it.
    A society that places equality before freedom with get neither; A society that places freedom before equality will yield high degrees of both

Make a move and plead the 5th because you can't plead the 1st

Quote Originally Posted by dillo View Post
    I smell a lot of politics in this move. The republicans can look like the good guys in a sense by voting to block it, however they dont have the 67 to override a veto. Then they pass legislation to remove emergency powers so the next Dem president can't do it.
    It would very interesting to see how the Democrats would vote on such a bill while Trump is still in office for his first term, it would truly reveal them, especially if they think they could win in 2020.

i would love for america to have a parliamentary system of government , i am tired of being ruled by kings .

" in the land of the blind a one eyed man would be king " .

Trump says we now have open borders since the resolution passed.

Supporting Member
    Phoenix, AZ

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by ProBlue33 View Post
    These are the 12 that would contribute to his impeachment if it ever got that far.
    Now some are really mad at Rand, calling for a primary challenge.
    Here is my issue with both sides on this Rand needs to be able to vote as a constitutional supporter on ideological grounds, Romney can go !@#$ himself he is the biggest traitor ever, he is just joining an Anti-Trump voting block.
    It bothers me when the MAGA faction has gone full cult devotion basically saying nobody can vote against Trump for any reason, their reaction to Rand, "I liked Rand, but I can't forgive him for this, primary the traitor" That is not rational or helpful to political discourse and we despise it when the DNC does their cult devotion thing.
    I think Rand made a mistake here. All he accomplishes is looking like a RINO to many voters. What principle is he standing on? Trump didn't make up this authority, he is just using the tools that were created for the job position before he ever got there. It seems to me that Rand is risking his position for nothing.
    Citizen of Arizona
    @cleaner4d4

28. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quite the opposite. It makes the constitutional issues involved very clear cut. I'm sure that it will come up in the lawsuits.
    Quote Originally Posted by Swordsmyth View Post
    Pinochet is the model
    Liberty preserving authoritarianism.
    Enforced internal open borders was one of the worst elements of the Constitution.

I think Rand made a mistake here. All he accomplishes is looking like a RINO to many voters. What principle is he standing on? Trump didn't make up this authority, he is just using the tools that were created for the job position before he ever got there. It seems to me that Rand is risking his position for nothing.
    The Constitution is not nothing. They all took an oath to preserve, protect and defend it. Anyone who looks down on Rand Paul for actually living up to that oath is a fool.

Only the people of Kentucky can fire him. And if they didn't want the Constitution upheld, they wouldn't have hired him in the first place.
    We believe our lying eyes...

https://moneyandmarkets.com/ron-paul...-constitution/

Ron Paul: National Emergency Doesn’t Trump Constitution

Yays and nays have been coming from all sides since President Donald Trump announced he would declare a national emergency in order to bypass Congress to get funding for his long-promised border wall.

Count former presidential candidate and longtime Republican and Libertarian Congressman Ron Paul in the “nay” category.

In his weekly column, published Monday, Paul says “President Trump’s emergency declaration is not just an end run around Congress. It is an end run around the Constitution.”

In Paul’s own words via the Ron Paul Institute:

Article One of the Constitution gives Congress sole authority to allocate federal funds.

While President Trump’s order may be a particularly blatant abuse of power, it is hardly unprecedented. Most modern presidents have routinely used so-called national emergencies to expand their power, often at the expense of liberty. For example, Present Franklin Delano Roosevelt used “emergency powers” to justify internment of Japanese-Americans during World War Two.

President Trump, like other recent presidents, is relying on the 1976 National Emergencies Act for legal justification for his emergency declaration. This act gives the president broad powers to declare national emergencies for almost any reason. All the president need do is inform Congress he has declared an emergency. Once the emergency is declared, the president simply needs to renew the declaration once a year to maintain a state of emergency. Since this act passed, 59 emergency declarations have been issued, with 31 of those still in effect.

Another statute giving the president broad “emergency” powers is the Defense Production Act. Under this law, the president can force private businesses to produce goods for the military. The law also enables the president to impose wage and price controls and even make loans to private businesses. All a president need do to invoke these vast powers is submit “findings” to Congress that “national security” requires the president seize near-dictatorial control of certain industries or even the entire economy. According to the Congressional Research Service, some presidents have invoked the Defense Production Act without making the required findings to Congress, and the act has been used to justly federal interference in areas having little or nothing to do with national defense.

Section 606(c) of the Communications Act gives the president “emergency” power to seize control of every television network, radio station, smartphone, laptop, and other electronic devices.

Emergency powers are not the only means by which presidents violate the Constitution. The 2001 authorization for use of military force (AUMF), which only authorizes the president to use force against those responsible for the September 11 attacks, has been used to justify military interventions that have no relationship to those attacks. The 2001 AUMF has been used to justify mass surveillance, indefinite detention, and even “kill lists.” Fortunately, Representative John Garamendi has introduced the Walter B. Jones Restoring Power to Congress Act that would pay tribute to a true champion of peace by repealing the 2001 AUMF.

Many neoconservatives and progressives who defended prior presidents’ abuses of power are critical of President Trump’s emergency declaration. These “never-Trumpers” will no doubt resume their love affair with the imperial presidency when the Oval Office is again occupied by someone who shares their agenda.

This week, the House of Representatives will vote on a resolution terminating President Trump’s declaration of a national emergency. Hopefully, this precedent will be used against all future presidents who use spurious claims of national emergencies to expand their powers and shrink our liberties.

Supporting Member
    Phoenix, AZ

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by TheCount View Post
    Quite the opposite. It makes the constitutional issues involved very clear cut. I'm sure that it will come up in the lawsuits.
    Quote Originally Posted by acptulsa View Post
    The Constitution is not nothing. They all took an oath to preserve, protect and defend it. Anyone who looks down on Rand Paul for actually living up to that oath is a fool.

Only the people of Kentucky can fire him. And if they didn't want the Constitution upheld, they wouldn't have hired him in the first place.
    You guys will have to help me understand what is unconstitutional about this. I just read the law here:
    https://www.congress.gov/bill/94th-c...ouse-bill/3884

So Congress created this mess in 1976 and authorized the President to declare a national emergency when needed. It seems to me that a national emergency is in the eye of the beholder. Sp Trump and Rand have a difference of opinion. How is it that a President declaring a national emergency as authorized to do, is an unconstitutional action. This is not clear cut to my eyes. Please help me understand your point of view.
    Citizen of Arizona
    @cleaner4d4

No need to look down here, under your post. Look up, above your post. Or any of a couple of dozen other spots on this board. Or Rand Paul's tweet.

The Constitution says spending must originate in the Congress, specifically the House. No "emergency declaration" under the 1976 law has ever spent money. Ever. None.

Until now.
    We believe our lying eyes...

Banned

Blog Entries
    Oh No! Anne was right, What a defeat, Trump had to use his veto!

XD

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast