Thread: The Unsalvageables

Exclamation The Unsalvageables

The Unsalvageables

https://www.takimag.com/article/the-unsalvageables/

David Cole

January 14, 2020

This week’s column starts in a Georgia ghetto, and ends in the Middle East.

Some of you might remember Anthony Stokes. He was a 15-year-old DeKalb County, Ga., hood rat with a bum ticker who kept getting passed over for a heart transplant because of his “high risk” lifestyle, which included burglary, weapons charges, arson, and neglecting to take his prescribed meds.

Seeing how donor hearts aren’t found on trees (or in Dollar Trees), doctors were reluctant to give a young crime lord in training one of the precious organs. So Anthony’s granmoms or auntie or whoever the hell was raising him went to the local civil rights shysters screaming racism. Social justice gorgon Tara Culp-Ressler, managing editor of ThinkProgress, ginned up a media campaign, which soon went national. Anthony was given his heart transplant in record time by doctors who were basically told, “Perform this operation or you’re Mengele.”

Anthony Stokes was now armed with a new, healthy heart with a kickin’ beat. He was also armed with a variety of handguns, one of which he used on an old lady whose front door he kicked in during a brazen home-invasion robbery. After shooting at his elderly victim but missing, Tony carjacked a passerby, ran over a pedestrian, and lost control of the vehicle, smashing full-speed into a SunTrust Bank sign, closing his personal account for good.

Just as the doctors had feared when they wisely advised against giving this waste of carbon a healthy human heart, Anthony Stokes not only squandered his “second chance at life,” and he not only destroyed a donor organ that could have gone to a more deserving recipient, but he also damn near murdered two people who would not have been in harm’s way had Stokes’ timeline been allowed to expire naturally.

The Stokes affair took place in 2015. Back then, the story didn’t resonate with me like it does now. I’ve written in the past about my “Youthful Ward” who lived with me for a few years. What I haven’t mentioned is that her teenage brother came to live with us as well, for medical reasons. He’d been born with only one functioning kidney, which was in the process of failing. In order to qualify for a donor organ, the boy had to be 100% drug-free for a lengthy period of time, a challenge in his sleepy Nebraska hometown, where smoking pot and skateboarding is what teens do all day. So, we moved him to L.A. to keep a watchful eye on him 24/7. And even though we successfully kept him off the weed, the number of hoops he had to jump through just to be considered for a kidney kept growing and growing.

At one point, he was removed from the organ recipient list for “depression” (like a kid who’s facing death shouldn’t be a tad melancholic). At every turn, the doctors fussed and worried over whether he’d be “worthy” of that kidney. We couldn’t scream racism or sexism; we couldn’t twist arms. We had no angle, no advocate. And the process dragged on for years. No one cared about whether this white kid lived or died.

After Anthony Stokes pancaked himself against that bank sign, I asked Ms. Culp-Ressler if she had any regrets about forcing the issue and overriding the doctors’ concerns. After implying that I’m racist for calling her out on the matter, she admitted that the blowback she’d faced since Stokes became billboard graffiti had been very hard on her: “The vast majority of the emails I’ve received over the past several days (since Stokes’ death) have been incredibly rude, condescending, and full of unfounded assumptions about me. Reading through them all caused my patience to wear thin.”

Poor dear; it’s all about her.

To answer my question about regret, she directed me to a quote about Stokes by “respected medical ethicist” Art Caplan: “The bottom line is I don’t really think today’s sad events mean we shouldn’t have given him a chance. We didn’t know what would happen to him.”

“We didn’t know.”

No, Einstein, we all knew. The doctors certainly knew, but they were forced to disregard their knowledge in the service of ideologues who are incapable of facing one of the ugliest truths about mankind: Some people are unsalvageable. Notice I said “ideologues” and not “leftists,” because rejection of the concept of unsalvageability is found across the ideological spectrum. Be it Jesus, the government, or any number of other icons, authors, or belief systems, most ideologues claim a savior for whom or for which nothing is impossible, including fixing the unfixable.

And to prove their point, these true believers will gladly put the rest of us in jeopardy.

The do-gooders who thought Anthony Stokes could be redeemed took a healthy donor heart out of circulation, thus denying it to any number of worthier candidates. And two lives were nearly taken during Stokes’ post-transplant crime wave. Others paid for that brief extension of life he received. And while that extension was due mainly to leftist race hustlers, it was also facilitated by generally decent people who couldn’t—wouldn’t—grasp that even though his heart could be replaced, his basic nature couldn’t.

This denial of reality has forged a nation lousy with unsalvageables. I broached that topic last year regarding Baltimore. That city is an example of what happens when an area reaches what I call Critical Mass Unsalvageables (CMU). When you get too many unsalvageables in one area, the area itself becomes unsalvageable. The little old ladies in Baltimore want the same things as little old ladies anywhere: to walk to the store, go to church, enjoy tea with friends. But the good people of that city are stymied in the face of CMU; unsalvageables outnumber decent folks to such an extent, people with aspirations are dragged down and reformers are rendered impotent. That’s what unsalvageables do in large numbers; like hive-mind aliens, they instinctively terraform the environment to suit their needs.

There is only one sensible approach to an area that has been afflicted with CMU: quarantine. Give the people who by their own merits can leave as much help as possible to leave. And then wall that $#@! up, figuratively if not literally. As I wrote in 2018, think “urban reservations.” Shrink them with gentrification until you’ve gotten them as small as possible, and then write ’em off. Even the most beautiful country still needs landfills, places that are out of sight and mind, where the rats reign supreme. Nuclear waste dumps for radioactive people.

If this seems extreme, it’s no more so than the left’s position on such matters, which is the exact opposite of quarantine—the importation of urban rot to areas where it doesn’t exist; dispersal rather than isolation.

But as I said, the rejection of unsalvageability cuts across ideological lines. And that’s why many on the right are so easily tempted to support foreign military adventures.

Townhall columnist Kurt Schlichter is a “twilight” kind of guy; he’s neither wholly in the dark nor fully in the light of day. He kinda “gets” things, sorta…but not quite. In a recent piece in which he wisely counseled that the U.S. should “get the hell out of Afghanistan,” Schlichter inadvertently exposed the reason conservatives will never stop embracing the mindset that leads to acceptance of such quagmires in the first place.

After admitting that Afghanistan “sucks and will always suck,” Schlichter nevertheless asserts that we totally could “win” that war, but we just don’t have the guts. “To say we cannot win in Afghanistan is wrong. Of course we can win,” Schlichter proclaims. “We have the combat power. What we do not have is the will—and again, maybe we don’t want to have the will to do it. We beat Germany and Japan by, in large part, annihilating their cities.”

Schlichter can’t bring himself to admit the truth about unsalvageability. But whereas a Christian missionary would say that deliverance can only come through Christ, military veteran Schlichter preaches the redeeming power of big American kablammo! Popeye punching a jungle savage so hard he becomes Gandhi (yes, that actually happened). As I said, Schlichter kinda gets it, but he’s blinded by his need to believe in salvation through firepower (this belief allows him to chalk up failures to gutless politicians who handcuff the military). If only we were allowed to unleash the full force of our might, we could totally civilize Afghanistan.

Yep…and also, if we just pump a trillion dollars into the East St. Louis school system, we can totally graduate a generation of rocket scientists.

Schlichter is too deep in his faith to understand the foolishness of invoking Germany and Japan as test cases that can be repeated in the Third World. The Germans and Japanese are civilized peoples, and they faced their defeat as civilized peoples. The notion that you can bomb uncivilized people into civility is certifiably insane, and every bit as destructive as the belief that you can alter their nature by throwing money at them, or by moving them from Third World slums to small Midwestern towns.

Afghanistan is at CMU. Schlichter, bless his heart, thinks that a firm hand can tame the bastard children of a savage culture and faulty DNA. This is exactly the line of thinking that leads to support for new foreign adventures that see Americans sacrificed in the name of the same folly that led to Anthony Stokes getting that human heart: We must never write anyone off.

Schlichter likes to present himself as an unsentimental “swallows lead, $#@!s bullets” kind of guy, but if even he can’t resist the sentimentality of seeing all people, cultures, and nations as fixable, what hope for anyone else? What hope for the average sap weaned on “they’re just like us! Invite the world” propaganda? Or dumb-asses like the people of my state, who continually approve school bonds not in spite of staggeringly low test scores and literacy rates but because of them (more failure? More money!). We can’t admit that once a school passes the CMU tipping point, money can’t save it.

Had Anthony Stokes died waiting for a new heart, his advocates would’ve claimed that if we’d only given the kid a chance, he’d have grown up to cure cancer or invent the hovercar. The cold reality of how things turned out will not shake them from that fantasy. They’ll continue to support the abolishment of the criminal justice system (because those teens who raped and murdered that woman just need us to believe in them and they’ll become good, productive citizens), and they’ll continue to push for the mass importation of foreign iterations of Anthony Stokes, because “they’ll be inspired by our freedoms” (the leftist version of “they hate us for our freedoms”).

Because these poor blind fools just know that they can salvage the unsalvageable.

And they’re all too willing to bet your life on it.
    Another mark of a tyrant is that he likes foreigners better than citizens, and lives with them and invites them to his table; for the one are enemies, but the Others enter into no rivalry with him. - Aristotle's Politics Book 5 Part 11

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    + rep.

Social Darwinism, some folks are so far gone there's not going back. It is also cognitive dissonance.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Social_Darwinism

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cognitive_dissonance
    Last edited by Pauls' Revere; 01-19-2020 at 09:49 PM.

We're being governed ruled by a geriatric Alzheimer patient/puppet whose strings are being pulled by an elitist oligarchy who believe they can manage the world... imagine the utter maniacal, sociopathic hubris!

Good find AF.

A related note about organ donation:

There was a fellow who was making the rounds on shows such as The Power Hour, etc who was very learned on the topic of organ donation. The short of his point was that in the vast majority of states, they will take your organs whether you complete the organ donation information on your driver's license or not. He cited some pretty horrific cases of hospitals parting out viable people. He provided a paper procedure to better ensure that your giblets are not taken without your prior consent. I wish I could remember his name.

I have two words about organ donation.

Mickey Mantle.

We're being governed ruled by a geriatric Alzheimer patient/puppet whose strings are being pulled by an elitist oligarchy who believe they can manage the world... imagine the utter maniacal, sociopathic hubris!

Quote Originally Posted by Pauls' Revere View Post

Mickey Mantle.
    Dick Cheney

"The notion that you can bomb uncivilized people into civility is certifiably insane..."

Quote Originally Posted by Pauls' Revere View Post

Mickey Mantle.
    Pay me.

Quote Originally Posted by angelatc View Post
    Pay me.
    Too contaminated with vaccines.
    Pfizer Macht Frei!

Openly Straight Man, Danke, Awarded Top Rated Influencer. Community Standards Enforcer.

Quiz: Test Your "Income" Tax IQ!

Short Income Tax Video

The Income Tax Is An Excise, And Excise Taxes Are Privilege Taxes

The Federalist Papers, No. 15:

Except as to the rule of appointment, the United States have an indefinite discretion to make requisitions for men and money; but they have no authority to raise either by regulations extending to the individual citizens of America.

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by Danke View Post
    Too contaminated with vaccines.
    It's why I'm still alive.

Quote Originally Posted by angelatc View Post
    It's why I'm still alive.
    She must have missed one of her booster shots.
    "He's talkin' to his gut like it's a person!!" -me
    "dumpster diving isn't professional." - angelatc
    "You don't need a medical degree to spot obvious bullshit, that's actually a separate skill." -Scott Adams
    "When you are divided, and angry, and controlled, you target those 'different' from you, not those responsible [controllers]" -Q

"Each of us must choose which course of action we should take: education, conventional political action, or even peaceful civil disobedience to bring about necessary changes. But let it not be said that we did nothing." - Ron Paul

"Paul said "the wave of the future" is a coalition of anti-authoritarian progressive Democrats and libertarian Republicans in Congress opposed to domestic surveillance, opposed to starting new wars and in favor of ending the so-called War on Drugs."

Quote Originally Posted by dannno View Post
    She must have missed one of her booster shots.
    I don't think there is a vaccine against being banned by Josh.
    Never attempt to teach a pig to sing; it wastes your time and annoys the pig.

Robert Heinlein

Give a man an inch and right away he thinks he's a ruler

Groucho Marx

I love mankind…it’s people I can’t stand.

Linus, from the Peanuts comic

You cannot have liberty without morality and morality without faith

Alexis de Torqueville

Those who fail to learn from the past are condemned to repeat it.
    Those who learn from the past are condemned to watch everybody else repeat it

A Zero Hedge comment

Quote Originally Posted by Anti Federalist View Post
    The Unsalvageables

https://www.takimag.com/article/the-unsalvageables/

David Cole

January 14, 2020

This week’s column starts in a Georgia ghetto, and ends in the Middle East.

Some of you might remember Anthony Stokes. He was a 15-year-old DeKalb County, Ga., hood rat with a bum ticker who kept getting passed over for a heart transplant because of his “high risk” lifestyle, which included burglary, weapons charges, arson, and neglecting to take his prescribed meds.

Seeing how donor hearts aren’t found on trees (or in Dollar Trees), doctors were reluctant to give a young crime lord in training one of the precious organs. So Anthony’s granmoms or auntie or whoever the hell was raising him went to the local civil rights shysters screaming racism. Social justice gorgon Tara Culp-Ressler, managing editor of ThinkProgress, ginned up a media campaign, which soon went national. Anthony was given his heart transplant in record time by doctors who were basically told, “Perform this operation or you’re Mengele.”

Anthony Stokes was now armed with a new, healthy heart with a kickin’ beat. He was also armed with a variety of handguns, one of which he used on an old lady whose front door he kicked in during a brazen home-invasion robbery. After shooting at his elderly victim but missing, Tony carjacked a passerby, ran over a pedestrian, and lost control of the vehicle, smashing full-speed into a SunTrust Bank sign, closing his personal account for good.

Just as the doctors had feared when they wisely advised against giving this waste of carbon a healthy human heart, Anthony Stokes not only squandered his “second chance at life,” and he not only destroyed a donor organ that could have gone to a more deserving recipient, but he also damn near murdered two people who would not have been in harm’s way had Stokes’ timeline been allowed to expire naturally.

The Stokes affair took place in 2015. Back then, the story didn’t resonate with me like it does now. I’ve written in the past about my “Youthful Ward” who lived with me for a few years. What I haven’t mentioned is that her teenage brother came to live with us as well, for medical reasons. He’d been born with only one functioning kidney, which was in the process of failing. In order to qualify for a donor organ, the boy had to be 100% drug-free for a lengthy period of time, a challenge in his sleepy Nebraska hometown, where smoking pot and skateboarding is what teens do all day. So, we moved him to L.A. to keep a watchful eye on him 24/7. And even though we successfully kept him off the weed, the number of hoops he had to jump through just to be considered for a kidney kept growing and growing.

At one point, he was removed from the organ recipient list for “depression” (like a kid who’s facing death shouldn’t be a tad melancholic). At every turn, the doctors fussed and worried over whether he’d be “worthy” of that kidney. We couldn’t scream racism or sexism; we couldn’t twist arms. We had no angle, no advocate. And the process dragged on for years. No one cared about whether this white kid lived or died.

After Anthony Stokes pancaked himself against that bank sign, I asked Ms. Culp-Ressler if she had any regrets about forcing the issue and overriding the doctors’ concerns. After implying that I’m racist for calling her out on the matter, she admitted that the blowback she’d faced since Stokes became billboard graffiti had been very hard on her: “The vast majority of the emails I’ve received over the past several days (since Stokes’ death) have been incredibly rude, condescending, and full of unfounded assumptions about me. Reading through them all caused my patience to wear thin.”

Poor dear; it’s all about her.

To answer my question about regret, she directed me to a quote about Stokes by “respected medical ethicist” Art Caplan: “The bottom line is I don’t really think today’s sad events mean we shouldn’t have given him a chance. We didn’t know what would happen to him.”

“We didn’t know.”

No, Einstein, we all knew. The doctors certainly knew, but they were forced to disregard their knowledge in the service of ideologues who are incapable of facing one of the ugliest truths about mankind: Some people are unsalvageable. Notice I said “ideologues” and not “leftists,” because rejection of the concept of unsalvageability is found across the ideological spectrum. Be it Jesus, the government, or any number of other icons, authors, or belief systems, most ideologues claim a savior for whom or for which nothing is impossible, including fixing the unfixable.

And to prove their point, these true believers will gladly put the rest of us in jeopardy.

The do-gooders who thought Anthony Stokes could be redeemed took a healthy donor heart out of circulation, thus denying it to any number of worthier candidates. And two lives were nearly taken during Stokes’ post-transplant crime wave. Others paid for that brief extension of life he received. And while that extension was due mainly to leftist race hustlers, it was also facilitated by generally decent people who couldn’t—wouldn’t—grasp that even though his heart could be replaced, his basic nature couldn’t.

This denial of reality has forged a nation lousy with unsalvageables. I broached that topic last year regarding Baltimore. That city is an example of what happens when an area reaches what I call Critical Mass Unsalvageables (CMU). When you get too many unsalvageables in one area, the area itself becomes unsalvageable. The little old ladies in Baltimore want the same things as little old ladies anywhere: to walk to the store, go to church, enjoy tea with friends. But the good people of that city are stymied in the face of CMU; unsalvageables outnumber decent folks to such an extent, people with aspirations are dragged down and reformers are rendered impotent. That’s what unsalvageables do in large numbers; like hive-mind aliens, they instinctively terraform the environment to suit their needs.

There is only one sensible approach to an area that has been afflicted with CMU: quarantine. Give the people who by their own merits can leave as much help as possible to leave. And then wall that $#@! up, figuratively if not literally. As I wrote in 2018, think “urban reservations.” Shrink them with gentrification until you’ve gotten them as small as possible, and then write ’em off. Even the most beautiful country still needs landfills, places that are out of sight and mind, where the rats reign supreme. Nuclear waste dumps for radioactive people.

If this seems extreme, it’s no more so than the left’s position on such matters, which is the exact opposite of quarantine—the importation of urban rot to areas where it doesn’t exist; dispersal rather than isolation.

But as I said, the rejection of unsalvageability cuts across ideological lines. And that’s why many on the right are so easily tempted to support foreign military adventures.

Townhall columnist Kurt Schlichter is a “twilight” kind of guy; he’s neither wholly in the dark nor fully in the light of day. He kinda “gets” things, sorta…but not quite. In a recent piece in which he wisely counseled that the U.S. should “get the hell out of Afghanistan,” Schlichter inadvertently exposed the reason conservatives will never stop embracing the mindset that leads to acceptance of such quagmires in the first place.

After admitting that Afghanistan “sucks and will always suck,” Schlichter nevertheless asserts that we totally could “win” that war, but we just don’t have the guts. “To say we cannot win in Afghanistan is wrong. Of course we can win,” Schlichter proclaims. “We have the combat power. What we do not have is the will—and again, maybe we don’t want to have the will to do it. We beat Germany and Japan by, in large part, annihilating their cities.”

Schlichter can’t bring himself to admit the truth about unsalvageability. But whereas a Christian missionary would say that deliverance can only come through Christ, military veteran Schlichter preaches the redeeming power of big American kablammo! Popeye punching a jungle savage so hard he becomes Gandhi (yes, that actually happened). As I said, Schlichter kinda gets it, but he’s blinded by his need to believe in salvation through firepower (this belief allows him to chalk up failures to gutless politicians who handcuff the military). If only we were allowed to unleash the full force of our might, we could totally civilize Afghanistan.

Yep…and also, if we just pump a trillion dollars into the East St. Louis school system, we can totally graduate a generation of rocket scientists.

Schlichter is too deep in his faith to understand the foolishness of invoking Germany and Japan as test cases that can be repeated in the Third World. The Germans and Japanese are civilized peoples, and they faced their defeat as civilized peoples. The notion that you can bomb uncivilized people into civility is certifiably insane, and every bit as destructive as the belief that you can alter their nature by throwing money at them, or by moving them from Third World slums to small Midwestern towns.

Afghanistan is at CMU. Schlichter, bless his heart, thinks that a firm hand can tame the bastard children of a savage culture and faulty DNA. This is exactly the line of thinking that leads to support for new foreign adventures that see Americans sacrificed in the name of the same folly that led to Anthony Stokes getting that human heart: We must never write anyone off.

Schlichter likes to present himself as an unsentimental “swallows lead, $#@!s bullets” kind of guy, but if even he can’t resist the sentimentality of seeing all people, cultures, and nations as fixable, what hope for anyone else? What hope for the average sap weaned on “they’re just like us! Invite the world” propaganda? Or dumb-asses like the people of my state, who continually approve school bonds not in spite of staggeringly low test scores and literacy rates but because of them (more failure? More money!). We can’t admit that once a school passes the CMU tipping point, money can’t save it.

Had Anthony Stokes died waiting for a new heart, his advocates would’ve claimed that if we’d only given the kid a chance, he’d have grown up to cure cancer or invent the hovercar. The cold reality of how things turned out will not shake them from that fantasy. They’ll continue to support the abolishment of the criminal justice system (because those teens who raped and murdered that woman just need us to believe in them and they’ll become good, productive citizens), and they’ll continue to push for the mass importation of foreign iterations of Anthony Stokes, because “they’ll be inspired by our freedoms” (the leftist version of “they hate us for our freedoms”).

Because these poor blind fools just know that they can salvage the unsalvageable.

And they’re all too willing to bet your life on it.

Few issues with this article and the premise or implied premise.

Kurt Schlichter says we dont have the will to win.

Can we define winning? Is the idea to kill everyone who shoots at us? Or doesnt agree with us? Who exactly is the enemy, why are we fighting/killing/dying?

Germany and Japan had standing armies/a military. Its not like we're fighting the Russian military which if we defeated, the government/nation would surrender.

How do we know that we "won"? Who exactly would surrender, assuming one day we actually declare war and define the so called enemy.

Regardless of what label we throw on these people, they are average everyday citizens and what theyre fighting is our attack and occupation.

Killing more of them will only result in their surviving friends and family hating us more...

Essentially, we'd have to kill all of them, right?

Because I cant imagine a scenario where they would stop shooting at us as long as we're in their country.

Cole says they are CMUs. In what sense?

Schlichter, bless his heart, thinks that a firm hand can tame the bastard children of a savage culture and faulty DNA.
    Based on what? Fighting our illegal, immoral, attack and occupation via a false flag terror attack...?

Disappointing and nonsensical article by a guy who did exemplary work on exposing aspects of the Holocaust.
    Last edited by unknown; 01-25-2020 at 10:47 PM.
    "An idea whose time has come cannot be stopped by any army or any government" - Ron Paul.

"To learn who rules over you simply find out who you arent allowed to criticize."

Quote Originally Posted by unknown View Post
    Few issues with this article and the premise or implied premise.

Kurt Schlichter says we dont have the will to win.

Can we define winning? Is the idea to kill everyone who shoots at us? Or doesnt agree with us? Who exactly is the enemy, why are we fighting/killing/dying?

Germany and Japan had standing armies/a military. Its not like we're fighting the Russian military which if we defeated, the government/nation would surrender.

How do we know that we "won"? Who exactly would surrender, assuming one day we actually declare war and define the so called enemy.

Regardless of what label we throw on these people, they are average everyday citizens and what theyre fighting is our attack and occupation.

Killing more of them will only result in their surviving friends and family hating us more...

Essentially, we'd have to kill all of them, right?

Because I cant imagine a scenario where they would stop shooting as us as long as we're in their country.

Cole says they are CMUs. In what sense?

Based on what? Fighting our illegal, immoral, attack and occupation via a false flag terror attack...?

Disappointing and nonsensical article by a guy who did exemplary work on exposing aspects of the Holocaust.
    + Rep.
    There is no spoon.