Thread: Trump administration to end DACA

Trump administration to end DACA

In a closed-door meeting Wednesday, Department of Homeland Security Secretary John Kelly announced to the Congressional Hispanic Caucus that DACA (Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals), a program that grants work permits to more than 800,000 undocumented immigrants, will likely soon be dismantled.
    The announcement comes two weeks after officials in 11 states wrote to Attorney General Jefferson Sessions threatening to sue the federal government if it did not rescind Obama’s DACA program by Sept. 5.
    DACA was implemented in mid-2012 under the Obama Administration to boost Obama’s credentials among Latino voters. The move was not opposed by immigration officials, who saw the move as an opportunity to accumulate lists of youth living in the US without documentation. As the WSWS wrote in 2012:
    The implementation of the DACA program came three months before the presidential election, implementation of the initiative—providing limited rights to a narrow section of immigrants—is at best a cynical gesture in an effort to court Latino voters. At worst, the information gathered in the application process could be used against immigrants and their families. The Obama administration has pursued an aggressive anti-immigrant agenda, rounding up immigrants in wide-scale sweeps and deporting them in record number, and this policy will not end with DACA.
    The worst case scenario is now coming to fruition. All of the personal information needed to carry out deportations of these children and their families is now conveniently in the hands of the Department of Homeland Security. The thousands of children who lined up for the chance at the limited rights offered by the program gave their names, addresses, countries of origin, their personal histories, and signed a document admitting to being in the country illegally. The cost of this program was paid for by the immigrants themselves at $465 dollars apiece.

More at: http://www.wsws.org/en/articles/2017.../daca-j15.html

My heart bleeds

Never attempt to teach a pig to sing; it wastes your time and annoys the pig.

Robert Heinlein

Give a man an inch and right away he thinks he's a ruler

Groucho Marx

I love mankind…it’s people I can’t stand.

Linus, from the Peanuts comic

You cannot have liberty without morality and morality without faith

Alexis de Torqueville

Those who fail to learn from the past are condemned to repeat it.
    Those who learn from the past are condemned to watch everybody else repeat it

A Zero Hedge comment

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    The dismantling of DACA, the rescinding of asylum programs, along with all the other anti-immigrant policies of the Trump administration have little support among the masses.

The dismantling of DACA, the rescinding of asylum programs, along with all the other anti-immigrant policies of the Trump administration have little support among the masses.
    The masses that can't legally vote.

Trump's gotta win somewhere so this is where he's focusing considering the msm is fuming on Russia and GOP leadership is dead set against a clean ACA repeal and any implementation of big league tax cuts. I prefer self deportation over a raging DHS/ICE style operation but in the end, illegals' got played by Obama and signed on the dotted line.

Quote Originally Posted by FSP-Rebel View Post
    Trump's gotta win somewhere so this is where he's focusing considering the msm is fuming on Russia and GOP leadership is dead set against a clean ACA repeal and any implementation of big league tax cuts. I prefer self deportation over a raging DHS/ICE style operation but in the end, illegals' got played by Obama and signed on the dotted line.

Quote Originally Posted by FSP-Rebel View Post
    I'd rather end welfare and open the borders but there's zero support for that in our elected bodies. So I'll settle for this. It is what he ran on.

http://www.latimes.com/politics/wash...htmlstory.html

Trump says he'll make the final call on DACA, not subordinates

A group of "Dreamers" with Donald Trump at Trump Tower in New York in 2013. (Diego Sanchez)

President Trump said Thursday that he, and not subordinate officials, would make the decision about what to do with President Obama's program that shields more than 750,000 people from deportation who were brought to the U.S. illegally as children.

"It’s a decision that I make, and it’s a decision that’s very very hard to make. I really understand the situation now," Trump said.

"I understand the situation very well. What I’d like to do is a comprehensive immigration plan. But our country and political forces are not ready yet," he added.

Trump's Homeland Security secretary, John F. Kelly, had suggested in remarks Wednesday that Atty. Gen. Jeff Sessions might make the final decision about the program, known as DACA, if it is challenged in court.

Trump's remarks appeared to suggest that he would not delegate the decision about the future of the young people known as "Dreamers" to Sessions.

California Atty. Gen. Xavier Becerra said this week he is prepared to do everything in his power to defend the program – including standing with the Trump administration against a legal threat from Republican states.

Last month, Kelly released a memorandum that formally ended the legal fight over a related program, the Deferred Action for Parents of Americans and Lawful Permanent Residents, or DAPA. That initiative sought to temporarily remove the threat of deportation for the parents of children who are U.S. citizens or lawful permanent residents but was never fully implemented.
    From one month ago:
    https://www.bloomberg.com/view/artic...rs-to-stay-why

Trump Allows Dreamers to Stay.

In April, President Donald Trump said that Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals, the 2012 federal program to protect undocumented "Dreamer" immigrants who arrived in the U.S. as children, was a “very difficult subject for me.”

It appears that Trump was telling the truth.

Trump's administration has largely translated his presidential campaign's hostility toward immigrants into government action. Efforts to impose a ban on travel from Muslim-majority nations have been comically inept -- but persistent and seemingly heartfelt. Likewise, federal immigration agents have grown more aggressive, and less discriminating, in their pursuit of deportations. Even long-resident immigrants with American citizen children (and expert legal representation) are not safe.

At a congressional hearing last week, Thomas Homan, acting director of Immigration and Customs Enforcement, was explicit in describing the climate of fear his department seeks to create. "If you are in this country illegally, and you committed a crime by entering this country, you should be uncomfortable, you should look over your shoulder, and you need to be worried," he said. "No population is off the table."

To that end, the administration last week rescinded a 2014 plan to grant work permits and reprieves from deportation to potentially more than 4 million parents of U.S. citizens and green card holders. The plan had been stymied in court. But the move was nonetheless another brick in the anti-immigrant wall.

Yet supporters of immigration restrictions couldn't help noticing that, once again, the Trump administration had failed to strip almost 800,000 Dreamers of the legal protection they had won under President Barack Obama's 2012 executive action. A post by the Department of Homeland Security stated: "This rescission will not affect the terms of the original DACA program as outlined in the June 15, 2012 memorandum." It added: "No work permits will be terminated prior to their current expiration dates."

Obama's DACA plan had pushed the limits of executive action. Ever since, immigration restrictionists have been howling about what Judicial Watch President Tom Fitton, on Twitter, called "lawless Dreamer amnesty for illegal alien children and adults."

Yet Trump has renewed Dreamer work permits and even issued some new ones. One day after the DHS post, DHS issued a written statement: “The future of the DACA program continues to be under review with the administration,” it said. “The president has remarked on the need to handle the issue with compassion and with heart."

Compassion and heart have not been lodestars of Trump administration policies. Nor are they high priorities for his base voters. As David Frum wrote at the Atlantic: "Exactly why Trump betrayed his most ardent supporters will be a study for reporters and psychologists. Was it the influence of his daughter and son-in-law? The advice of his pollsters and political strategists?"

The answer is unclear. Some immigration advocates suspect Trump fears that rescinding DACA would make life too difficult for moderate Republicans. "If they eliminated DACA I really think you'd have a major outcry of unified opposition from the public and it would put major pressure on Congressional Republicans, governors, state/local elected officials," emailed Tom Jawetz, an immigration expert at the liberal Center for American Progress. "It could further tear apart that already damaged party."

Keep DREAMING Zippy, Dump doesn't get to decide this, if he tries to keep DACA the states' lawsuit will force his hand.
    DACA is illegal and will not stand, John F. Kelly knows this whether Dump does or not.
    Never attempt to teach a pig to sing; it wastes your time and annoys the pig.

Robert Heinlein

Give a man an inch and right away he thinks he's a ruler

Groucho Marx

I love mankind…it’s people I can’t stand.

Linus, from the Peanuts comic

You cannot have liberty without morality and morality without faith

Alexis de Torqueville

Those who fail to learn from the past are condemned to repeat it.
    Those who learn from the past are condemned to watch everybody else repeat it

A Zero Hedge comment

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.