Supporting Member
    North Korea

Blog Entries

Veganism doesn't go far enough according to Jain teachings

@lilymc

OK we get this alot around here so I'm just gonna come out with it

Vegetarianism prohibits the consumption of meat
    Veganism prohibits the consumption of all animal based products

But tubers such as onions, potatoes, garlic, shallots, scallions, leeks, chives etc have lots of bugs crawling around in their roots. Washing them off equates to harming them according to such:

3:36

Insects have minds and can react to pain therefore by logic consumption of roots and tubers should be considered immoral and discouraged (according to some)

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Supporting Member
    North Korea

Blog Entries
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jain_vegetarianism

• For Jains, lacto-vegetarianism is mandatory. Food that contains even the smallest particles of the bodies of dead animals or eggs is unacceptable.[16][17] Some Jain scholars and activists support veganism, as the production of dairy products is perceived to involve violence against cows. According to Jain texts, a śrāvaka (householder) shouldn't consume the four maha-vigai - wine, flesh, butter and honey; and the five udumbara fruits (the five udumbara trees are Gular, Anjeera, Banyan, Peepal, and Pakar, all belonging to the fig class).[18][19]
    • Jains go out of their way so as not to hurt even small insects and other tiny animals,[20][21][22][23] because they believe that harm caused by carelessness is as reprehensible as harm caused by deliberate action.[24][25][26][27][28] Hence they take great pains to make sure that no minuscule animals are injured by the preparation of their meals and in the process of eating and drinking.[29][30]
    • Traditionally Jains have been prohibited from drinking unfiltered water. In the past, when stepwells were used for the water source, the cloth used for filtering was reversed, and some filtered water poured over it to return the organisms to the original body of water. This practice of jivani or bilchavani is no longer possible because of the use of pipes for water supply. Modern Jains may also filter tap water in the traditional fashion and a few continue to follow the filtering process even with commercial mineral or bottled drinking water.
    • Jains make considerable efforts not to injure plants in everyday life as far as possible. Jains only accept such violence inasmuch as it is indispensable for human survival, and there are special instructions for preventing unnecessary violence against plants.[31][32][33] Strict Jains don’t eat root vegetables such as potatoes, onions, roots and tubers, because such root vegetables are considered ananthkay.[19] Ananthkay means one body, but containing countless lives. A regular vegetable such as cabbage has number of leaves and lives as could be counted by a layman. However, a root vegetable such as potato, though from the looks of it is one article, is said to contain multiple lives ('ekindriya') in it. Also, tiny life forms are injured when the plant is pulled up and because the bulb is seen as a living being, as it is able to sprout.[34][35][36] Also, consumption of most root vegetables involves uprooting and killing the entire plant, whereas consumption of most terrestrial vegetables doesn't kill the plant (it lives on after plucking the vegetables or it was seasonally supposed to wither away anyway).
    • Mushrooms, fungus and yeasts are forbidden because they grow in non-hygienic environments and may harbour other life forms.
    • Honey is forbidden, as its collection would amount to violence against the bees.[37][38][30]
    • Jain texts declare that a śrāvaka (householder) shouldn't cook or eat at night. According to Acharya Amritchandra's Purushartha Siddhyupaya:

And, how can one who eats food without the light of the sun, albeit a lamp may have been lighted, avoid hiṃsā of minute beings which get into food?
    — Puruşārthasiddhyupāya (133)[39]
    • Strict Jains do not consume food that has been stored overnight, as it possesses a higher concentration of micro-organisms (for example, bacteria, yeast etc.) as compared to food prepared and consumed the same day. Hence, they do not consume yoghurt or dhokla and idli batter unless they have been freshly set on the same day.
    • Jains do not consume fermented foods (beer, wine and other alcohols) to avoid killing of a large number of microorganisms associated with the fermenting process.[40] According to Puruṣārthasiddhyupāya:

Wine deludes the mind and a deluded person tends to forget piety; the person who forgets piety commits hiṃsā without hesitation.
    — Puruşārthasiddhyupāya (62)[41]

I'm pretty sure lily doesn't identify as an actual vegan. Besides, a bug has about 2 seconds to hit the bricks around lily or he's a grease spot on the wall. Then she hits that mofo about 5 more times to make sure he ain't gettin up. BAM....BAM BAM BAM BAM BAM BAM.

Quote Originally Posted by Natural Citizen View Post
    I'm pretty sure lily doesn't identify as an actual vegan. Besides, a bug has about 2 seconds to hit the bricks around lily or he's a grease spot on the wall. Then she hits that mofo about 5 more times to make sure he ain't gettin up. BAM....BAM BAM BAM BAM BAM BAM.
    LOLOLOL!!! Actually, that's only with the ones I think are going to bite me or the nasty ones. With all others, I try to put them outside. Thankfully, I don't have to worry about that anymore in my new apartment.

@Lamp As NC said, I don't identify as an actual vegan, mainly because I don't agree with some of their views… The problem is there isn't really a word for those with my views about diet and how we should treat animals... so sometimes I'll use the word vegan for lack of a better word.

But I'll check out that video. Thanks.
    “I have no doubt that it is a part of the destiny of the human race, in its gradual improvement, to leave off eating animals, as surely as the savage tribes have left off eating each other.”

― Henry David Thoreau

Since were on this topic… I just wanted to post this pic. The worlds largest animal rights march took place yesterday in Tel Aviv, Israel. The vegan movement is growing fast and things are changing. With more awareness about how animals are treated in the animal industries, people are waking up worldwide and realizing that we need to stop treating animals like slaves. (Worse than slaves actually)

“I have no doubt that it is a part of the destiny of the human race, in its gradual improvement, to leave off eating animals, as surely as the savage tribes have left off eating each other.”

― Henry David Thoreau

And what was wrong with the sidewalk?

Quote Originally Posted by Natural Citizen View Post
    And what was wrong with the sidewalk?
    There were 30,000 people there! Come on. I'm pretty sure they got permission to demonstrate.

I'm trying to post a Facebook video but it's not working. Do you know how to embed a video from Facebook?

― Henry David Thoreau

Quote Originally Posted by lilymc View Post
    There were 30,000 people there! Come on.
    Well, they could walk in a line.

I'm pretty sure they got permission to demonstrate.
    It figures it'd be something like that. Permission to demonstrate. Permission to demonstrate. Permission to demonstrate. Permission to demonstrate.

I'm trying to post a Facebook video but it's not working.
    I see.

Do you know how to embed a video from Facebook?
    Can't do it on vBulletin. You can try to wrap it but it likely won't work. Watcha tryna do, post a video of those jaywalkers?

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    ^ lol.

It figures it'd be something like that. Permission to demonstrate. Permission to demonstrate. Permission to demonstrate. Permission to demonstrate.
    Hey, you were the one who seemed to be objecting to them demonstrating on the street. *shrug*

Can't do it on vBulletin. You can try to wrap it but it likely won't work. Watcha tryna do, post a video of those jaywalkers?
    It's OK. I quickly grabbed it and I'm uploading it as an unlisted video. If there's any problem with that I'll just delete it. But I'm sure whoever created this video wants it to be shared!

Here it is:

Last edited by lilymc; 09-10-2017 at 09:17 PM.

― Henry David Thoreau